• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

Yoday

This would be amazing. WWI in the Frostbite engine? Oh man, this could be intense. Best of all is the potential for a lot of really cool mission types.

Kathian

Banned
if its true WW1 combat it will be the most boring FPS in the history of FPS, ok now line up first guy out of trench gets shot, ok next guy go.... gets shot..... next...... oh wait put on you're gass mask.... 'whole team is dead'

640_brodie-trenches.jpg

The Western Front sure but even there there is a lot to show around the later years of the war; World War 2 tactics were invented in World War 1. The Eastern Front would still be great.

Cod Blops 2
Cod Advanced Warfare
Cod Blops 3
Destiny
Titanfall

Probably forgetting some recent "futuristic" shootbangs.

And seriously doubt it's WW1, the weapon variety alone would make it seriously lacking. WW2 might be fun again. As would a Vietnam -era one.

Heroman

Banned
Given vehicle play is a important part of battlefield and since ww1 didn't have that many vehicles I'm going to say that it's not going to be in WW1.

Could be an off year title. Suppose visceral needs something to work on since hardline had no legs. Can't imagine the BF main year game being WW1 though.

iMax

Probably alternative WW1 timeline. When Aliens brought tech/ timetravel shenanigans or something like this. Pure WW1 would be very very bold.

A Bad Company game set in an alt-WW1 where you get to use future tech acquired from some secret alien/space agency in Cardiff or something, against the central powers übermechs would be pretty tight.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Ugh, not WW1.

Will it be shooting back and forth from trenches and horse back riding?

WW2 or keep it modern.

Everything iconic about WWI except for the air combat seems like a bad fit for games. Stuck in trenches, no man's land, fixed weapons and gas completely dominating the battlefield. Obviously, every war game paints a very unrealistic action movie like picture of war but typically you expect the iconic parts to be represented someway, which is why I think WWI is rarely ever touched.

Lead

Banned
No automatic weapons (aside stationary) in a AAA-shooter? No way, people don't want to play this. Plus the setting is not mainstream enough, WW2 would be okay, but not not WW1.

I doubt this.
If the setting is to include Americans at the very end of the war in 1918 there's plenty of automatic weapons on all sides of the conflict.

Germans had the mp18, the Americans had the BAR the French had the fusil 1917/1918 rifles and the brits had Lewis mgs. I'm sure I'm even missing some, but only top of my head these were all automatics in widespread use by the end.

Obviously if they want to be somewhat authentic most would have to carry bolt action rifles and pistols.

RS4-

Sounds like it could be an alternative ww1 setting like others have mentioned. Maybe something out of Harry Turtledove's books where aliens invade during the era.

patapuf

The western front was an unending meat grinder set in the bleakest environment imaginable. WWI was not a "sexy" war and the technology of the time doesn't lend itself to a FPS.

eh, there's conflicts other than the western front, and especially by the end the end of the war you have plenty of tanks, planes, flamethrowers ect. to make things fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://replygif.net/i/1300.gif

Exactly my reaction. I could understand people clamoring for WW2 (despite that not being my bag), but WW1? Like... what the hell is there to do there beyond throwing gas grenades and quickly putting on gas masks while hiding in trenches for infantry?

Sounds like it could be an alternative ww1 setting like others have mentioned. Maybe something out of Harry Turtledove's books where aliens invade during the era.

Please no. If I wanted alternate history, I'd play Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty: Black Ops.

I'm in it for the campaign, there's so much potential for doing a great campaign. I don't really care about multiplayer and I haven't cared about campaign Battlefield ever really so if they do try do some serious good WW1 campaign I'll be there day 1. WW1 battles were tense even if some people think trench warfare is "boring", I'd like to see that captured in a game where they can create the tense moments.

What am left wondering about is how few in this thread empathise with the carnage which WW1 was about.

It's all meh, boring. No no not this I want pew pews and lazers, tactical nuke drops and coca cola on tap.

Amazingly 100 years ago today that war was raging and young lads were being mowed down in their thousands a day.

Am not trying to ruin the party but a little respect for those who fought should be considered I feel.

orava

Variety is nice. Remember most of these games release yearly.

I'm sure the market is ready for the next round of ww2 shooters but back then, the genre was beaten to death and everybody was just sick of it all.

But it has been long enough and i'd really like to see how modern hardware and gameplay ideas would handle games in ww2 setting.

Could be an off year title. Suppose visceral needs something to work on since hardline had no legs. Can't imagine the BF main year game being WW1 though.

Visceral are developing a Star Wars game, looking like a third person open-world action adventure as I recall. Helmed by Amy Hennig, I think Jade Raymond's new Canada studio is helping and it's not going to be out before 2018.

marrec

Banned
I'd be down to buy a Battlefield game again if the campaign was full on WW1, all the different aspects of that war. You could have the 19th century style combat of the first few months, the trenches of the Western Front, and the 20th century style combat of the last offensives. Sounds dope.

well at least battlefield 4 is a great game with tons of content thats cheap, should last me through battlefield 6 if they go this route.

A shooter not set in modern/near-future times? Sign me up!

Very interested to see how they adapt WW1 combat into gameplay though, especially multiplayer.

pelican

Not against the idea, but not sure how traditional BF game modes would fit into the type of warfare WWI was known for.

Drencrom

WW1?

Not happening, too limited and it just wouldn't be a good setting for a mainstream shooter.

A WW2 Battlefield game on the other hand would be great, really getting tired of every shooter being modern military or near future/sci-fi.

Yoday

Regardless of what it ends up being the best thing about DICE going back to a historical setting would be the potential for some stunning assets with Photogrammetry. I really want to see what DICE could with audio and visuals in a historical setting. The thought of making a no man's land run with the Frostbite audio engine...

Top Bottom