• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline beta begins next Tuesday, February 3

Ramirez

Is that hostage mode one life only? I'm really bummed about no rush, Heist could have been a great spin off of Rush, but the Alpha mode sucked.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How did that petrol tanker not explode from all that gunfire...I don't understand why they would use that as an objective when it should blow up with some simple firepower.

Otherwise, it looks interesting. I'll give the beta a try but I'm still not sold thanks to it still looking like Battlefield 4 but with cop/robber skins.

Tubie

Pretty sure Visceral is making the singleplayer, DICE is working on MP...

Nope.

Visceral is doing MP too.

I feel they should've made this beta a bit longer, maybe 2 or 3 weeks? Games of this scale will always launch with problems and the more live testing you can get the better.

Kakulin

Banned
If I enjoy the beta, then I'll prolly trade in CoD:AW and get this game on PS4. I was a big fan of Battlefield on PC like 10 years ago. Looking foward to it!

Riposte

Yeah, will definitely give it a try.

New pic:
B8dq5LyIIAIutA_.jpg:large

"Hehehahaha-stoppppp it"

Tubie

I think the single player mode could be a big seller for this game if Visceral did a good job on it.

Single player on BF4 was something like torture to go through and they forced you to do it to unlock a few multiplayer weapons.

Blanket statement. Go play some Rush Golmud Railway or Dragon's Teeth maps.

Anybody who claims such a thing has not played it, gets mowed down by better players or doesn't know shit about Battlefied. Rush is one of the best modes.

Played them all, all horrible. Only conquest large is good.

njean777

Will give it another try, I played the beta after e3 and didnt get to play it enough as only my friend got a code, so now I will get to experience more this time.

I've been playing Battlefield for a long time, but I really wasn't looking forward to Hardline. My gut reaction was to not get the game. The more I see of it, however, the better it looks. I'm still pretty engulfed in Battlefield 4, but I'm definitely going to have some fun in the Beta.

HariKari

Blanket statement. Go play some Rush Golmud Railway or Dragon's Teeth maps.

Anybody who claims such a thing has not played it, gets mowed down by better players or doesn't know shit about Battlefied. Rush is one of the best modes.

Rush is and was awful for BF4. They've fixed a few maps, but it's still largely broken and doesn't come anywhere close to BC2 or BF3. It's the 'worst' of the major modes, because DICE put zero effort into it with 4.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blanket statement. Go play some Rush Golmud Railway

Horrible.

or Dragon's Teeth maps.

Ultra bad.

Anybody who claims such a thing has not played it,

Okay. Because:

cSOlITc.png

...I totally haven't played it right?

gets mowed down by better players

Qc2fu53.gif

Because that somehow has something to do with mode design + map design. (Spoiler: I don't get mown in that mode, but thanks?)

Rush is one of the best modes.

Yes. I agree, completely. I find the mode VASTLY more fun than Conquest (which the majority of the playerbase will play). THAT SAID: I can FREELY admit that BF4's Rush mode is pure flaming trash. There's only... maybe... three maps worth a damn. Two of which come from BF3 (which wasn't strong for Rush, either): Caspian and Firestorm. Why do you think they moved Rush sets around as a band-aid fix (which doesn't really fix the problem: map design is poor for the mode) six months to a year after BF4's launch with terrible set-placements (sup Zavod last-set B hellroom in the tower?).

Is it playable? Without some stupid set designs and if next-gen/PC playerbases renting servers for Rush aren't stupid and changing modes beyond "150% tickets" for 32 players max? Sure it's playable. But the maps are still bad.

Kick it to 64 players you'll start to see the problems with the sets in major detail given you can see what having 3-5 people in a certain area will do to lock down sets in 32-players.

BF4's strongest modes are:

Conquest Large (they just need to drop Conquest small and make it "Conquest")
Sabo--er--"Obliteration" (why are we calling CoD modes different things? Call a spade a spade and call it Sabotage next time, DICE)

That's about it. Rush is a "mid strength" mode this outing because Conquest's open map design simply doesn't work when DICE shoe-horns modes into "one-size-fits-all" maps without redoing radical map design changes for Rush and a few other modes.

I'd probably put TDM up with Conquest/Sabo but if it's got BF3's shitty spawn problems, no thanks

TheSeks

How can you say that and not post your stats bro! Lol!

People always calling me out. *shakes head* And ignores the point I made: DICE fucked up Rush's map design and I'm one of the rare few that is willing to eat shit on said shitty map design to attempt to "enjoy" it because it's my primary mode.

But sure, let's call out stats on playing because that TOTALLY has something to do with mode design.

yeah, BF4 Rush is trash.

Also note this person: Played Rush in Bad Company 2 with me for probably a LONGER amount of time on TWO consoles than my ONE console time on the mode. If he agrees with me, you know you're wrong.

JJD

People always calling me out. *shakes head* And ignores the point I made: DICE fucked up Rush's map design and I'm one of the rare few that is willing to eat shit on said shitty map design to attempt to "enjoy" it because it's my primary mode.

But sure, let's call out stats on playing because that TOTALLY has something to do with mode design.

Also note this person: Played Rush in Bad Company 2 with me for probably a LONGER amount of time on TWO consoles than my ONE console time on the mode. If he agrees with me, you know you're wrong.

I have no idea what you're talking about Seks! Lol

Tubie

Nobody has called your stats out Seks.

KD/R is nothing in Conquest/Rush/Obliteration or any serious 32-64 player mode.

Rush is and was awful for BF4. They've fixed a few maps, but it's still largely broken and doesn't come anywhere close to BC2 or BF3. It's the 'worst' of the major modes, because DICE put zero effort into it with 4.

No need to slurp your buddy without reading the first couple posts. I said I will miss Rush in bf hardline. He said it won't be missed.

Thats a load off shit because Rush dedicated maps are missed now and will be in hardline because it's a great mode. If you posh players can't have fun in Rush on ANY BF4 map despite it's shortcomings then I feel bad for you. To say the mode is garbage in every single map in BF4 is admitting you are an elitist to the point where its time to find a new game to piss and moan about.

TheSeks

To say the mode is garbage in every single map in BF4 is admitting you are an elitist to the point where its time to find a new game to piss and moan about.

...Or maybe they... work with me here: They are... total shit? Nothing elitist about it.

About 5 of the maps have a water insertion first set where the attackers can't even reach dry land because Javelins and PLD/SOFLAMs can lock down the slow-moving Amtrac and RHIB's completely.

Notable for that: Hainan Resort on Launch (WTF at DICE giving the defense an AA while the atteckers get slow moving in water vehicles that can be easily stolen to mow them down while swimming AND a helicopter that can be shot out of the sky?) and Naval Strike. Go play the maps and see how often the Attackers will get past the first set with a defending team that knows their shit.

Oman was fucked up from the "alright" starting set in BF3 with BF4's variant in an attempt to add the boats to the map with a small river which... doesn't even go through the entire map so... WHY THE FUCK INCLUDE BOATS AS A WATER INSERTION!? Why the fuck WOULDN'T you just do land insertions like BF3? One of the most mind boggling stupid moves DICE did in remaking BF3 maps and on MY FUCKING FAVORITE MAP IN ALL OF BF3 to boot.

Others have choke-point design (Operation Whiteout) to where if you get past the chokepoint first set you then come to...

Barren Lands to reach the next set. Second set Whiteout is notable for this. Other maps are notable for this being first set.

If not that the lack of flanking routes hinder it. You can't flank if the enemy can see you coming and the bounds don't allow you to go over hills and behind cover to attempt to "stealth" them to the line.

Also notable is Silk Road third set. If you can get past the FUCKING BARREN OPENING/first set, to an "alright" second set which would work as a Rush design, you THEN have a final set which is a "death march up a hill where the defense has a high-ground advantage and the tank can't climb up a hill/mountain to fire down hellfire support on the set."

Please tell me which maps you find that work swimmingly for Rush that aren't Caspian and Firestorm.

"Railroad."

Has a terrible design of basically being "whoever tank-whores the better with engineers on the ball wins." If the TWO starting tanks the attackers get don't push up the defense can lock down the set pretty damn easy.

"Dragon Teeth."

Oh you mean the map pack that have choke-points for starting sets with barely any flanking routes? The park being a notable example where there is "three lanes" and the attackers can't really "flank" if the defense covers all three which is pretty damn easy to do? Propaganda which falls into the same "three lane" issue?

"Oh but Caspian has the 'wide-open barely any cover' design issue you complain about."

Yes and no. Yes it does. But at the same time the map is fucking open enough to where the defense can't cover ALL of it if they aren't paying attention and most of the time infantry or a vehicle can at least push up against a team of engineers and two tanks the defense gets. That's farrrrr better design than water insertions and shit like Whiteouts opening.

No need to slurp your buddy without reading the first couple posts. I said I will miss Rush in bf hardline. He said it won't be missed.

Thats a load off shit because Rush dedicated maps are missed now and will be in hardline because it's a great mode. If you posh players can't have fun in Rush on ANY BF4 map despite it's shortcomings then I feel bad for you. To say the mode is garbage in every single map in BF4 is admitting you are an elitist to the point where its time to find a new game to piss and moan about.

Battlefield 4 is universally known to have just about the worst maps for Rush mode in a Battlefield game. Sure there are some decent ones and they are more tolerable at lower player counts, but the vast majority of them simply don't work for Rush. This is to be expected as they make the maps in that game specifically for Conquest Large first and foremost.

In regards to Hardline, I think they made a good decision in getting rid of Rush for this game, otherwise I seriously wouldn't be surprised if it ended up even worse than how it is in BF4. It's a matter of whether or not you want to give players the option to run a mode that really doesn't work with what you are aiming for and aren't likely to put any effort in making sure it plays nicely. DICE Sweden decided to do the latter for BF4, and we all know how that ended up.

...Or maybe they... work with me here: They are... total shit? Nothing elitist about it.

About 5 of the maps have a water insertion first set where the attackers can't even reach dry land because Javelins and PLD/SOFLAMs can lock down the slow-moving Amtrac and RHIB's completely.

Notable for that: Hainan Resort on Launch (WTF at DICE giving the defense an AA while the atteckers get slow moving in water vehicles that can be easily stolen to mow them down while swimming AND a helicopter that can be shot out of the sky?) and Naval Strike. Go play the maps and see how often the Attackers will get past the first set with a defending team that knows their shit.

Oman was fucked up from the "alright" starting set in BF3 with BF4's variant in an attempt to add the boats to the map with a small river which... doesn't even go through the entire map so... WHY THE FUCK INCLUDE BOATS AS A WATER INSERTION!? Why the fuck WOULDN'T you just do land insertions like BF3? One of the most mind boggling stupid moves DICE did in remaking BF3 maps and on MY FUCKING FAVORITE MAP IN ALL OF BF3 to boot.

Others have choke-point design (Operation Whiteout) to where if you get past the chokepoint first set you then come to...

Barren Lands to reach the next set. Second set Whiteout is notable for this. Other maps are notable for this being first set.

If not that the lack of flanking routes hinder it. You can't flank if the enemy can see you coming and the bounds don't allow you to go over hills and behind cover to attempt to "stealth" them to the line.

Also notable is Silk Road third set. If you can get past the FUCKING BARREN OPENING/first set, to an "alright" second set which would work as a Rush design, you THEN have a final set which is a "death march up a hill where the defense has a high-ground advantage and the tank can't climb up a hill/mountain to fire down hellfire support on the set."

Please tell me which maps you find that work swimmingly for Rush that aren't Caspian and Firestorm.

"Railroad."

Has a terrible design of basically being "whoever tank-whores the better with engineers on the ball wins." If the TWO starting tanks the attackers get don't push up the defense can lock down the set pretty damn easy.

"Dragon Teeth."

Oh you mean the map pack that have choke-points for starting sets with barely any flanking routes? The park being a notable example where there is "three lanes" and the attackers can't really "flank" if the defense covers all three which is pretty damn easy to do? Propaganda which falls into the same "three lane" issue?

"Oh but Caspian has the 'wide-open barely any cover' design issue you complain about."

Yes and no. Yes it does. But at the same time the map is fucking open enough to where the defense can't cover ALL of it if they aren't paying attention and most of the time infantry or a vehicle can at least push up against a team of engineers and two tanks the defense gets. That's farrrrr better design than water insertions and shit like Whiteouts opening.

I'm not gonna read your insane text wall. We all know BF4 has problems but if its bad enough to write an essay just play another game.

Top Bottom