• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Reveal Event Discussion Thread

Calibos

I see it as Battlefield 1 with some of that Bad Company flair thrown in for the people who need some levity in their games. Also, adding in some cosmetics and customization keeps it relevant in today's gaming climate.

Geki-D

Banned
True and I agree that it was an "in Engine" ala Killzone.

Battlefield 1 looked like this on Ultra 2 years ago.

I think that the "gameplay" segments of that Battlefield V trailer will look pretty damn close to that but maybe without some of the post effects on top.

I think you need to watch the trailer again,

There's quite a gap between BF1 in that video and the BFV trailer.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Not a fan of some of the over-the-top wacky character design going on. Some lady with a metal hook hand and a bat in WW2?

That being said I'm assuming those characters are part of the campaign and I could completely ignore in multiplayer.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I know im going to get blasted for this but, I think the lady on the box is blatant pandering. Remember when all those females stormed Normandy beach to fight the patriarchy? Me neither. I have no doubt large publishers are under immense pressure from SJW types for "representation" even if its not historically accurate. Games like Horizon and Tomb Raider can pull it off because they always had a female lead. Im sure the echo chamber at reset era is thrilled though.

For the record im not against female leads nor anti female in any way. I love women, and they love me : )

Geki-D

Banned
Not a fan of some of the over the top characterization going on. Some lady with a metal hook hand and a bat in WW2?

That being said I'm assuming those characters are part of the campaign and I could completely ignore in multiplayer.
You assume wrong. Campaign is meant to be super serious realistic stuff. All that wacky cartoon stuff is for MP.

I know im going to get blasted for this but, I think the lady on the box is blatant pandering. Remember when all those females stormed Normandy beach to fight the patriarchy? Me neither. I have no doubt large publishers are under immense pressure from SJW types for "representation" even if its not historically accurate. Games like Horizon and Tomb Raider can pull it off because they always had a female lead. Im sure the echo chamber at reset era is thrilled though.

For the record im not against female leads nor anti female in any way. I love women, and they love me : )

Yeah, i agree it's pandering. But it doesn't hurt anyone. And it's a videogame, not history class.

TheZink

I see it as Battlefield 1 with some of that Bad Company flair thrown in for the people who need some levity in their games. Also, adding in some cosmetics and customization keeps it relevant in today's gaming climate.
If it is I’ll be happy. I just want to have a good time.

Paasei

So we got motorcycle gang members, women with robot arms and cricket bats, an English officer with a katana sword and a black guy with a mohawk and face paint. Yet this the most immersive BF they have ever created. The worst BF trailer I've ever seen. It's like a what if Michael Bay made a violent/explosive Pixar movie?
I couldn't care less about diversity whatsoever. I won't ever start denying that women and black people played a big part in the war, but to those who did, I think they'd feel quite dishonored as well. It's like I'm looking at 4 comic characters in a cartoony and colourful alternative WW2 that has nothing serious going on whatsoever.

I hope the real non scripted gameplay from E3 will justify most of this crap and sets it right.

Strazyplus

I like to see Battlefield leave the historic stuff behind and go scifi if they gonna do absurd shit like planes getting blown away by hand thrown grenades.

manfestival

I think you need to watch the trailer again,

There's quite a gap between BF1 in that video and the BFV trailer.

Thank you for this post. I literally just missed this. This trailer strikes me as pandering pretty hard. I can't recall a single instance of anyone talking about women with claw arms kicking it up in world war 2 and we get 2 of those in this! Aside from that, the first part of the video is pretty much hot garbage. The second part is very possible to be actual gameplay footage within the engine with maybe the exception of the last part.

However here are my actual positive takeaways(I did not see all of the notes of their discussion of the game) from the video
Got the impression of these things:
Plane impact explosions (would be cool but annoying over time)
Full destructible Buildings
Improved lightning
Lots of dirt clouds
Grittier gameplay

davitpr

I totally agree. This trailer was dumb and the female character felt forced.

Onikaan

Not what I expected at all.

Honestly, Call Of Duty respected the time period better with their last installment. Never ever thought I'd say those words.

How are customisable characters going to work across different regions and factions? A bald dude with a bare chest and a painted face is going to look ridiculous in a desert/alpine map.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
So we got motorcycle gang members, women with robot arms and cricket bats, an English officer with a katana sword and a black guy with a mohawk and face paint. Yet this the most immersive BF they have ever created. The worst BF trailer I've ever seen. It's like a what if Michael Bay made a violent/explosive Pixar movie?
I couldn't care less about diversity whatsoever. I won't ever start denying that women and black people played a big part in the war, but to those who did, I think they'd feel quite dishonored as well. It's like I'm looking at 4 comic characters in a cartoony and colourful alternative WW2 that has nothing serious going on whatsoever.

I hope the real non scripted gameplay from E3 will justify most of this crap and sets it right.

It would be one thing if it was an alternative World War like Resistance or a made up war that would be one thing. But its so over the top its, in my opinion, disrespectful to the soldiers that served. I m calling it now and you can quote me in a year, this game will flop relative to expectations from EA and for the franchise. Ea will say it was positioned between COD and RDR 2 and that will play a huge part but I think were at a point where the blatant pandering for the sake of it is wearing thin. I could be wrong but im certain this game will under perform.

Psykodad

Banned
Trailer was way over the top. Too much.

Yet, seeing the WWII-setting made me hyped af, even though we all knew it would be WWII.

Day 1.

DonF

such a weird thing. A lot of people were claiming for a return to WWI and WWII, we got bf1 and cod wwII...and I was...underwhelmed. Now this, it just looks boring and fake. I want Bad company 3. I sense that when we get BC3, its going to be boring too. 8(

Geki-D

Banned
I totally agree. This trailer was dumb and the female character felt forced.
I mean, it's EA, guys. What were you expecting? They've pretty much officially said they're going to keep pushing minorities and women in their games from now on. No matter the context, no matter how little it makes sense to do so.

WaterAstro

When I saw Trevor Noah, I knew the reveal was already a trainwreck. Just stop stuffing celebrities in game reveals, stupid ass EA.

The whole thing was so boring, and the game doesn't look interesting at all.

Naked Lunch

What the fuck was that? As a hardcore BF fan of 1942, BF2 PC, then to a lesser extent BC2, and BF3 - that trailer was about as bad as it could possibly get. Over the top wackiness. Explosions everywhere, non-stop action. BF has gotten far too wacky with BF4 and BF1. This took that over the top stuff to the extreme. If there's nonstop action, you just grow numb to it. Thats why BF1 was such a terrible game.

I was hoping for more slowed down, realistic gameplay. Quiet moments to set up defense, plan strategies, more tactical. Sprint limit meters. With a return to the beginning I saw it as a way to return the series to its roots in more than just the setting. That style of BF is dead forever.

Calibos

Just google "World War 2" female fighters and you will find all sorts of awesome women who fought in that war. Also, looking up "world war 2 resistance" gets you some imagery of "rag tag" looking groups of people.

Women in WW2

RaptorGTA

My main issue the female character looked like they rip off the lady from Horizon Zero Dawn. A lot of fan service in the trailer. Overall it looked good.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Why is women fighting on the battlefield SJW propaganda? You guys do realize women fought on the battlefield in ww2, right?

My issue with the game is the character design. Looks really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragos495

hmm not quite what i expected but im still hyped AF!

considering bf1 is my favourite game of all time (and movie, saving private ryan) im a bit on the fence about face paints, solider skins, too much colour etc etc

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
OK then put a female Russian sniper in the game instead instead of some metal claw lady with a bat....the wackiness of it is my problem.

I agreed. Like I said in my post, the character design looks really bad, too much cartoonish.

Still, when it comes to realism...

LordPezix

So is this an WW2 games that focuses on the earlier theater aspects? Maybe the British in France during the peak of the blitzkreig with the tanks rolling by so fast?

Would make sense for all the greenery before it turned into a brown crater wasteland like it was when the Americans arrived?

Would be cool if the girls was a French resistance fighter.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Aside from the fact that the little bit of gameplay that was shown looked like it was running on max settings PC....WW2 +Battlefield multiplayer + Frostbite engine is going too good to pass up imo.

RedVIper

Banned
Why is women fighting on the battlefield SJW propaganda? You guys do realize women fought on the battlefield in ww2, right?

My issue with the game is the character design. Looks really bad.

As far as I know women mostly took on non-combat roles in the war, cooks, medics, etc. Some countries also allowed them to join anti-arcraift units, but they were never in the frontline as far as I know.

I'm all for female characters in video games, but why not do it in a way that makes sense.

They put all of the focus in shit I don't care about: Ultradetailed character models, furniture, grass, smoke, unrealistic lightning... this is Battlefield 1.5.

I like WW2 setting too much to pass, but I didn't like what I saw at all.

Fbh

Looks fun IMO
I'd rather have lots of cosmetic options that make characters look sillier than having a season pass.
I think most people just aren't enough into history to get good sales from strictly historically accurate and grounded cosmetic options.

As for women, they did participate in WW2 and it's not like the multiplayer component of any of these games is super realistic.
I hope that in the campaign we see women rightly represented. If they have the beaches of Normandy being invaded by 50% women soldiers it would feel forced and like pandering, but having one of the stories be about one of those russian snipers would be cool.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I will be very happy to eat crow if they are able to take this to actual gameplay, i was saying that at first glance this didn´t look real, i hope that instead of talking they could just show actual gameplay

I didn't see the trailer yet, but DICE always delivers. It probably won't look that good on a base PS4/X1, but if you have a beefy PC or XboxX /Pro well then you are going to get what DICE puts in its trailers.

DICE are that good that they don't need to fake stuff. The only thing faked in their trailers is that its scripted actions and the camera. So yes some of the animations might not be 100% like in the trailers, but the rest of the graphics are the games graphics. BF3/BF4/BF1/BATTLEFRONT1+2 should be lesson enough.

bosnianpie

World War 2 was fought by men with an overwhelming, huge majority. So including women comes across as pushing an agenda rather than telling a story that's somewhat realistic to WW2. I understand people who wanted a more real depiction of the war.

This is just DICE showing us how diverse their game is, for the sake of diversity and at the expense of historical accuracy. The latter was probably not their goal anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that almost only men were combatants in WW2.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
#notmybattlefield YouTube reveal trailer is at 37k dislikes and counting. EA is doing some hardcore damage control by deleting comments at the speed of light. Too late now the damage is done.

Seems like they're attempting to take some heavy inspiration from Inglorious Basterds. Timely!

I'm sure the game will be fun, though. I'll keep my eye open for a sale sometime next year.

Top Bottom