• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Reveal Event Discussion Thread

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
A simple google search shows pictures of soldiers with katanas and other loot they found on the battlefield. It also shows paratroopers with mohawks, face paint etc.

And for god's sake, learn some history before you decide to go online to complain about things you know nothing about people.

jowell24

If it's not been posted already, people should watch videos of those who went to the press/youtuber event like Jackfrags' video as it paints a much more impressive and likeable game than the reveal trailer depicted.

They summarise what they saw at a 3 hour event and all the videos I've checked out point towards a game to look forward to.

So like I do with all game releases, I remain cautiously optimistic

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Ngl, I'm so fucking triggered by this ban I've got on Era. Feel free to ignore me but I need somewhere to vent :D

Note from mod after thread was re-opened:

'It's fine to have differing opinions on the trailer and presentation of Battlefield V.

What isn't okay is defending the exclusion of female characters on grounds of historical accuracy. Doing so will get you banned for sexism. We aren't messing around with people trying to use their ignorance of history to defend their bigoted views'.

(This is from Sweet Nicole)

I'm literally flabbergasted at this bullshit. Not only are you a sexist if you disagree with the representation, it is also you who are ignorant of history! Am I living in a parallel universe? This is why I don't generally participate much on online forums, they're full of fucking morons.

Welcome back to gaf, where the sane remain. And they have the nerve to claim THIS site was over ran with far right wingers... They were few and far between, it was overwhelmingly extremely far left and they all went over there for everyone else's convenience.i was banned from gaf when they were still in control for something equally unwarranted.

Last edited:

Dunki

A simple google search shows pictures of soldiers with katanas and other loot they found on the battlefield. It also shows paratroopers with mohawks, face paint etc.

And for god's sake, learn some history before you decide to go online to complain about things you know nothing about people.
Wait there are pictures showing soldiers wearing Katanas in EUROPE around the battlefield? I highly doubt this.

This actually looked a bit like Belgium and I highly doubt that you would have find any women on the front line there. Women were comon in WW2 in Russia otherwise they were nurses and far far away from the front lines.

Otherwise there is another reason for this backlash

there is another problem here that has changed the hostility regarding diversity. Without Anita and co this would have never been a problem but she changed the climate in this industry to a very toxic atmosphere. Thanks to villainizing gamers back then gamers now will go against anything she spoke for and see it as forced diversity the bowing to sjw etc. If this had never happened no one would care that much. Honestly I do not know how to change this other than not promoting your game like this. For example telling everyone how strong the female character is during such a reveal but rather just do it. Indy games do a much better job here IMO. You have so much diversity in these games but they also never advertise it for diversity sake they are just doing it.

When this is your answer to crticism you have already lost and this will be disliked like nothing else

Last edited:
Wait, is this real life?! We just had BF1 with WW theme come out with bunch of maps added..and now another WW2 title dropping in Oct?! GTFO..wait, latest COD is WW theme ain't it?

@#$% I'm gonna miss modern warfare, cause BF6 is next gen only.

lefty1117

Gold Member
who gives a F if women are in it. It's a game loosely based on WW2. It's not a WW2 sim. Let's all calm down a bit

manfestival

Why would they even bother with the WW2 setting if they want to empower the player with goofy choices. call it BF5 and give it its own theme like fortnite. Would make way more sense to me... I remember when people were concerned of trivializing WW1 well this pretty much gives a reason for people to have a legit complaint about DICE

RedVIper

Banned
Wait there are pictures showing soldiers wearing Katanas in EUROPE around the battlefield? I highly doubt this.

This actually looked a bit like Belgium and I highly doubt that you would have find any women on the front line there. Women were comon in WW2 in Russia otherwise they were nurses and far far away from the front lines.

there is another problem here that has changed the hostility regarding diversity. Without Anita and co this would have never been a problem but she changed the climate in this industry to a very toxic atmosphere. Thanks to villainizing gamers back then gamers now will go against anything she spoke for and see it as forced diversity the bowing to sjw etc. If this had never happened no one would care that much. Honestly I do not know how to change this other than not promoting your game like this. For example telling everyone how strong the female character is during such a reveal but rather just do it. Indy games do a much better job here IMO. You have so much diversity in these games but they also never advertise it for diversity sake they are just doing it.

When this is your answer to criticism you have already lost and this will be disliked like nothing else

Yeah my grandmother is always telling me stories of her, running around in her prosthetic leg, with a katana and slicing tanks in half. /s

Anyway I think Japanese soldiers did have military swords, so I guess European soldiers could have taken pictures with them, but it's not the most effective weapon in an open battlefield.

The way to do it its to actually make interesting female characters that people care about, in a way that makes sense, not to tack it into your game for the sake of political correctness.

Ngl, I'm so fucking triggered by this ban I've got on Era. Feel free to ignore me but I need somewhere to vent :D

Note from mod after thread was re-opened:

'It's fine to have differing opinions on the trailer and presentation of Battlefield V.

What isn't okay is defending the exclusion of female characters on grounds of historical accuracy. Doing so will get you banned for sexism. We aren't messing around with people trying to use their ignorance of history to defend their bigoted views'.

(This is from Sweet Nicole)

I'm literally flabbergasted at this bullshit. Not only are you a sexist if you disagree with the representation, it is also you who are ignorant of history! Am I living in a parallel universe? This is why I don't generally participate much on online forums, they're full of fucking morons.

First mistake was posting on REEE

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

When this is your answer to crticism you have already lost and this will be disliked like nothing else

That tweet is highly disappointing.

Yeah my grandmother is always telling me stories of her, running around in her prosthetic leg, with a katana and slicing tanks in half. /s

Anyway I think Japanese soldiers did have military swords, so I guess European soldiers could have taken pictures with them, but it's not the most effective weapon in an open battlefield.

The way to do it its to actually make interesting female characters that people care about, in a way that makes sense, not to tack it into your game for the sake of political correctness.

Hell, all they really had to do is have a mission or two playing as real world, bad ass females (or story missions loosely based around those real people). Not make some idiotically designed character that has nothing to do with WW2.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Love the immersion they are showing, but not sure on the Fortnitefication of it.

louis89

In BF1 you can jump out of a jet, snipe/shoot and jump in while it's flying in the air. But a women on the cover (for some people in comments sections that's apparently enough) is way over the line.
The former is done to add fun to the gameplay. The latter is done to pander to SJWs and a left-wing agenda. That's the difference.

Last edited:
People complained that there wasn't enough customization... now people complain theres too much.

I wish devs just made the games the way they wanted instead of listening to the whinging masses but hey, welcome to our new society.

Did anyone seriously ask for playing a WWII game as someone missing a fucking arm?

Texas Pride

Banned
As someone who has played the BF series from the beginning. What I saw and heard today disappointed me. I buy & play BF religiously and for the first time many years I'm thinking I won't buy this game. The trailer looked like a WW2 parody it was shameful imo and I suspect that a number of the core changes they announced today will be walked back once the beta is out and the shit hits the fan from dedicated BF series vets.

GenericUser

PKLCjZF.jpg
never forget to put on your eye shadows before entering a war.

This looks horrible, no disctinct art direction beyond "make everything pop out and over the top". U guys need to know that the game will play nothing like the trailer. You're not a one man army in bf.

I couldn't even tell in which time period the trailer took place. I first thought it was vietnam war. I don't even bother with all the little details that are so wrong with this. Soldiers wearing huge colorful patches on the back of their jackets? Are they trying to get shot in the back even quicker? Wtf DICE, just throw another studio in the pit EA.

Last edited:

Nizz

So, this game looks great but are they still aiming for 60fps on consoles? Considering I don't even play Conquest on base PS4 specifically because it runs at damn near 30fps.

Looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade to a Pro this year...

shinkai

I wonder how people would feel if EA pulled a sort of Mulan story where the female character has to overcome sexism and prejudices of men.

If they do a story similar to Disneys adaptation maybe, but in the original poem about Hua Mulan her parents supported her decision to join the army in her fathers place and none of her fellow soldiers knew that she was a female until the end of the poem which just like the Disney adaptation didn't care that she wasn't male.

ruvikx

Banned
So we got motorcycle gang members, women with robot arms and cricket bats, an English officer with a katana sword and a black guy with a mohawk and face paint. Yet this the most immersive BF they have ever created. The worst BF trailer I've ever seen. It's like a what if Michael Bay made a violent/explosive Pixar movie?
I couldn't care less about diversity whatsoever. I won't ever start denying that women and black people played a big part in the war, but to those who did, I think they'd feel quite dishonored as well. It's like I'm looking at 4 comic characters in a cartoony and colourful alternative WW2 that has nothing serious going on whatsoever.

I hope the real non scripted gameplay from E3 will justify most of this crap and sets it right.

One of the worst parts is the fact it's even a complete ripoff other works, for example the German soldier scene stolen from Saving Private Ryan, i.e. a soldier who is subsequently beaten to death with a bat (Inglorious Basterds). It looked like utter trash. There's already a 'great' defense mechanism for the devs & EA though, i.e. "if you don't like this game, ur a Nazi/sexist/bigot reeeee".

As for the so-called 'pro-women' crowd hellbent on placing GI Jane supersoldiers in every conflict, I refuse to accept any genuinely pro-woman individual could wish female soldiers in a real war. WW2 was as savage as wars get & the eastern front in particular (with the Soviet Union's 'night witches' snipers) demonstrated why women shouldn't be in armed combat... simply because unlike Bolshevik propaganda pretended at the time, most endured absolute horror & suffering. Does anyone seriously believe getting shot by Sepp Allerberger & co in 1944 in the Ukraine was 'better' for women than 1950's suburbia USA? :/ A rhetorical question of course. (I use that example because the aforementioned 1950's is often cited as literally "ze worst era eveeerrrr" by the far left).

Whenever there's choice (i.e. insofar as the nation/country isn't threatened with antihalation), for the sake of everything decent about humanity & basic maths (hallo, dead women in war = catastrophe for birth-rates.... which = death of the nation), it should be avoided.

ancelotti

Wow, shockingly poor reveal trailer for the game. Like others have mentioned, if they wanted to go in this direction they shouldn't have linked the game to WWII. It makes no sense at all, and if anything this is the kind of stuff that should have been in the Battlefront series. I have zero problems with the gameplay style and I enjoy Fort Night, but I'm come to Battlefield for a completely different experience. It's done enough to convince me to skip the preorder and wait and see how the beta turns out. As it stands, I'll probably hold off until after finishing RDR2 and see how the community shakes out. The last time I had a feeling like this was with Hardline and we all know how that turned out.

Hayfield

Banned
What on earth is the tone they are going for? Certainly does not seem like realism is a concern with this game. Not many English women fighting on the front lines in world war 2 or katanas for that matter. Seems as though the tone is stuck between bad company and a bf1.

WaterAstro

If they do a story similar to Disneys adaptation maybe, but in the original poem about Hua Mulan her parents supported her decision to join the army in her fathers place and none of her fellow soldiers knew that she was a female until the end of the poem which just like the Disney adaptation didn't care that she wasn't male.
Ah yeah, I forgot that Mulan just hid her gender. Probably a bad example then, but I was just thinking that a female soldier would be criticized unfairly until she finally proves herself on the field or something.

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
Why is women fighting on the battlefield SJW propaganda? You guys do realize women fought on the battlefield in ww2, right?

My issue with the game is the character design. Looks really bad.
So did the kids, but to what extent? Women make terrible soldiers when going toe to toe against men. Men evolved as fighters and hunters, in average we got better sense of direction, denser bones and muscles and have no problem following orders. Women were sent to the frontline as a last-ditch effort when it was not possible to send men there anymore and usually in the roles that had nothing to do with a close quarters combat - snipers, doctors, pilots.

I don't mind seeing some representation where it actually makes sense, but IMO that claw-hand women with a bat would get her ass handed to her, with the bat sticking out of it by any highly motivated and trained male fighting for his life.

It's pure SJW fantasy.

KonradLaw

It looks silly. Not sure if just silly or BadCompany-style good silly. But it's obviously silly, so complaining about woman in the game that obviously doesn't give a damn about authencity doesn't make much sense. It's not like they're trying to create new Brothers in Arms.

Makariel

I just watched the trailer and I'm underwhelmed. The BF1 trailer got me excited and back into the series, this new trailer just leaves me puzzled. One thing I don't quite get: if they so desperately want to make a steampunk game, why do they bother calling it WW2? Why not just go the Ace Combat route and invent some warrying states with real life technology? That allows wild mixing and matching of different styles and eras which they clearly want to do and give them more creative freedom, and might be genuinely awesome. Battlefield as a brand is probably big enough to carry it at this point. Instead we have this mess.

I couldn't even tell in which time period the trailer took place.
Looks like early 2017 era Battlefield 1 Server. People with zero spatial awareness whizzing around the place rushing for flags.

I’m ok with women soldiers due to their historical albeit limited involvement in ww2 but I’m really hoping the customization isn’t too outlandish.

INC

People really have an issue with women soldiers........lol

Moaning about realism and women in a ww2, realism?......knee sliding and barrel rolling out a window, whilst 1 handed firing a lmg.......Yeh realism

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
People really have an issue with women soldiers........lol

Moaning about realism and women in a ww2, realism?......knee sliding and barrel rolling out a window, whilst 1 handed firing a lmg.......Yeh realism

You know, it might something to do with the perception of something unrealistic as either ridiculous or awesome. Claw hand women soldiers - not awesome. Knee sliding - awesome.

INC

The bloke also has a claw hand, what's the issue here?

Any females or males with 1 arm on this forum got an issue with this be portrayed in the game?.........would like to hear your view on this whole situation, since I'm only talking about my own point of view, so be interesting to hear if that actually offends you

Wonder if it has a perk involved, like false arm gives you steady aim on snipers.....hmmm

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Wonder if it has a perk involved, like false arm gives you steady aim on snipers.....hmmm
It also enhances your melee attack, but reloading your weapon or switching to it takes ten times as long!

Nahh, pretty sure it's been confirmed it's cosmetic only. It'd be incredibly impractical for warfare too.

Laughable historical fantasies aside (Disabled people with prosthetics on the front line-that's a tacked on inclusivity first, battle royale warfare-ww2 was based around formations and at the smallest level around engagements between infantry squads, no...tanks, aircraft and ground troops did not engage in battle royale matches in tight spaces), the trailer was very badly cut, no idea what was happening.

And I thought it was some kind of alternate post-apocalyptic history setting. Didn't realize it was ww2 until I read more about it. Wolfenstein seemed more ww2 than this. Battlefield 1 seemed more ww2 than this.

What has people in a twist is that Dice has pledged special treatment toward historical accuracy for the first time-the trailer showed a fortnite-style circus.

Last edited:

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
I told you - I don't find female soldiers awesome or badass. Claw hand on male soldier is edgy, claw hand on a female soldier is tacky. Any kind of a disfigurement on a female body is plain yuck for me as they are precious and fragile and deserve a better life. That's the whole point of males going to wars - so that their kids and wives don't have to. So psychologically I feel that men with scars and missing limbs are badass, when females are pathetic and off-putting.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Any females or males with 1 arm on this forum got an issue with this be portrayed in the game?.........would like to hear your view on this whole situation, since I'm only talking about my own point of view, so be interesting to hear if that actually offends you

I disagree with the guy above me, the man with a claw hand is just as much as an issue as the woman with a claw hand.

But the woman is way more out of place than the man, because like it's been said before woman didn't join the front lines in ww2 for very two good reasons.

1. Evolution has made men better suited for war, overall man are faster, stronger so they make better soldiers.

2. Logistics, if you lose half your male population it doesn't impact the growth of the country as much, if you lose half your female population you're fucked, the birth rates would plummet and it would take decades to recover.

If they want to go for more silly, over the top shooter it's fine, but why make it ww2 then?

DonF

Battlefield V-agina
How old are you?
I told you - I don't find female soldiers awesome or badass. Claw hand on male soldier is edgy, claw hand on a female soldier is tacky. Any kind of a disfigurement on a female body is plain yuck for me as they are precious and fragile and deserve a better life. That's the whole point of males going to wars - so that their kids and wives don't have to. So psychologically I feel that men with scars and missing limbs are badass, when females are pathetic and off-putting.
Lol what?

The trailer just lacks any cohesion with what the developers were saying. Its a disappointment that really didn't hit the mark. Its a cross between fornite and cod, and clearly is trying to appeal to a massive crowd.

The jackfrags video, with absolutely no gameplay, hyped me up more than that shitty reveal trailer.

The woman didn't bother me, the woman sniper didn't bother me, the prosthetic didn't bother me...its the prosthetic sniper wielding 2nd story jumping to bike riding woman that did it.

It felt like this.

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
So women with 1 arm can't be badass
"MAH FURIOUSA"

Yeah and I still found her a tragic character, winced when she was shown without her arm and was looking forward to every frame with Mad Max in it. I didn't find her badass, sorry for having a different opinion, you don't have to share it.

INC

Well it's obvious you have a personal issue with amputees in general then, no point carrying on, best not to buy the game since its such a big deal for you

DeadmanPhoenix

Neo Member
The general ridiculous approach to character design is what will probably keep me from buying the game at launch, that's right. I might buy later it if it proves to be a 10 out of 10 master piece or will be heavily discounted, the latter reason is why I bought Hardline and BF1 at some point.

Top Bottom