• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Reveal Event Discussion Thread

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
People really have an issue with women soldiers........lol

Moaning about realism and women in a ww2, realism?......knee sliding and barrel rolling out a window, whilst 1 handed firing a lmg.......Yeh realism

Realism per se is not the issue; rather it is verisimilitude. We have a conception of how WW2 settings look based on historical photos and film that has been reflected in popular culture like Saving Private Ryan and band of Brothers.This is a major departure from that.

INC

I'll agree it's over the top and not what I expected or wanted. If it was bfbc:ww2 might of been better

But the gameplay details revealed made me interests again

Plus still not seen any gameplay yet, so ea play will no doubt show the realm look of the game

Just watched jackfrags video about BFV and now i'm over hyped. It's not a reskinned BF. There's a lot of cool aditions.
This drama about women with hook arms is just overblown.

J-Rod

Maybe there is a fedora element to the women complaints, but it really is a lot more than just that. Every character looks completely out of place and the entire aesthetic looks wrong and cartoony. People will latch onto the bio-woman complaints as a way to discredit any and all valid criticism of the game’s style by saying it is just Nazi bigots, but even if they took that part out, it wouldn’t fix the overall stupid appearance.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People really have an issue with women soldiers........lol

Moaning about realism and women in a ww2, realism?......knee sliding and barrel rolling out a window, whilst 1 handed firing a lmg.......Yeh realism

There is a major difference between authenticity and realism. People want authenticity in a game that is set in World War 2. The press release stated that this was World War 2, that this was set in real world locations and did not state that this is some "alternate reality" ala Wolfenstein or Turning Point. If they want to make an alternate history and go a bit goofy, fine - but bloody state/show that that is the case. When your previous involvement has been authentic to the time periods (minus the stint with future warfare in BF4 DLC and BF 2142) - fans of the franchise have every right to be annoyed/angry.

Soldiers were never put on a field with such severe injuries like the women was. They didn't dress like absolute ninnies, nor did they act with such a lack of decorum and respect. This was the first trailer many got to see of the game - and it was a terrible foot forward.

If this was just the "multiplayer' trailer, that would be one thing - but the way they handled the press release, the way they handled the trailers, the way they spoke of the game - they only brought it on themselves. That is where many people have an issue with this game (and with BF1 post-release).

Last edited:

pr0guchi

Neo Member
just read about 50 new facts./features and it sounded actually pretty good. my hearthbeat slowed down a bit since that

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
Was totally uninterested in yet another WW2 game but the amount of pressed individuals bitching about the protagonist has me wanting to pre-order this for my Xbox one X that needs some love

Masatshi

Long time BF player here... I liked the trailer, but what I liked even more are these tons of additions they made to the gameplay! I couldn't care less about women in BF btw.
I think this game will be great and completely different than every other BF game so far. Looking forward to it!

EDMIX

There is a major difference between authenticity and realism. People want authenticity in a game that is set in World War 2. The press release stated that this was World War 2, that this was set in real world locations and did not state that this is some "alternate reality" ala Wolfenstein or Turning Point. If they want to make an alternate history and go a bit goofy, fine - but bloody state/show that that is the case. When your previous involvement has been authentic to the time periods (minus the stint with future warfare in BF4 DLC and BF 2142) - fans of the franchise have every right to be annoyed/angry.

Soldiers were never put on a field with such severe injuries like the women was. They didn't dress like absolute ninnies, nor did they act with such a lack of decorum and respect. This was the first trailer many got to see of the game - and it was a terrible foot forward.

If this was just the "multiplayer' trailer, that would be one thing - but the way they handled the press release, the way they handled the trailers, the way they spoke of the game - they only brought it on themselves. That is where many people have an issue with this game (and with BF1 post-release).

"Soldiers were never put on a field with such severe injuries like the women was."

You know this for a 100%, irrefutable fact out of millions of people that fought and died in that war?

ruvikx

Banned
Was totally uninterested in yet another WW2 game but the amount of pressed individuals bitching about the protagonist has me wanting to pre-order this for my Xbox one X that needs some love

Yasss, give EA ur shekels just to show all the evil bigots who dare criticize a corporate product what you're made of! oorah!

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Just watched jackfrags video about BFV and now i'm over hyped. It's not a reskinned BF. There's a lot of cool aditions.
This drama about women with hook arms is just overblown.

The woman isn't the main issue for me. The health regen change,rebuilding destroyed buildings, animations for everything, slower revives. These are game changing and will effect speed and flow of the game in a negative way imo. After thousands of hours played in previous BF games I'm saying the changes are unnecessary. Then factor in the cartoony trailer and over the top colors and outfits and it crossed from disappointing to disgusting with me.

EDMIX

The woman isn't the main issue for me. The health regen change,rebuilding destroyed buildings, animations for everything, slower revives. These are game changing and will effect speed and flow of the game in a negative way imo. After thousands of hours played in previous BF games I'm saying the changes are unnecessary. Then factor in the cartoony trailer and over the top colors and outfits and it crossed from disappointing to disgusting with me.

so you play games now off of 3 min trailers? lol ok pal, its not that serious.

I play BF on hardcore so I know not of this "heath regen", maybe play on hardcore and you won't have that issue.

Texas Pride

Banned
Maybe there is a fedora element to the women complaints, but it really is a lot more than just that. Every character looks completely out of place and the entire aesthetic looks wrong and cartoony. People will latch onto the bio-woman complaints as a way to discredit any and all valid criticism of the game’s style by saying it is just Nazi bigots, but even if they took that part out, it wouldn’t fix the overall stupid appearance.

My issues run deeper than the female in WW2 issue but you're right that peoples genuine criticism of anything will be dismissed as "you just hate women". Name calling and labels are used to shut conversations down these days when you don't follow the agenda.

Texas Pride

Banned

I play BF on hardcore so I know not of this "heath regen", maybe play on hardcore and you won't have that issue.

Maybe don't tell people how to enjoy the game that they pay for? You play how you want to play I play how I want to play and most people don't play hardcore so you're actually in the minority jump off your horse.

The usual media outlets are already spinning their narrative in order to exploit another savory internet controversy by insulting their audience. This time, it's not the bigoted basement-dwelling misogynistic neckbeard, nerd or geek, but the angry dork who uses history as an excuse to wallow in his male-dominated power fantasy. According to Luke Plunkett of Kotaku:

What angry dorks mean when they say “historical accuracy” is not a game that’s accurate to the time being presented, then, but accurate to the aspects of that time (or the popular historical re-telling of it) that are sympathetic to their current political and cultural beliefs.

It's the same Ghostbusters, Kingdom Come, The Last Jedi bullsh*t all over again. If you don't like it, you must be a woman-hating bigot who wants to keep girls out of his tree-house. Shaming and insulting your audience into liking something didn't work the first couple of times and it won't work this time either. This is just another example of a gaming studio sacrificing their creative vision in order to capitalize on a political trend. It's weird, authenticity doesn't matter when it serves their ideological views, but when it comes to boob-armor and the realistic depiction of women in video games, authenticity suddenly matters again.

juXOhcw.png

As with inclusivity, their arguments only matter when they confirm their own political views, but are suddenly rendered meaningless when they contradict their own fictional fantasies. It's that sort of hypocrisy that people aren't reacting kindly to because it's obviously transparent. I wonder if the Nazis in this game will be depicted equally as diverse and inclusive.

But like, that doesn’t even matter here. Any idea that this, of all things, is what shatters the credibility and historical credentials of a series that has long reduced the war to endless skirmishes between jeep-flipping, plane-crashing brave soldiers named 69XX_cvmlauder_xx69 is insane.

That argument only works if you completely neglect the intricacies of video games as a medium. Gameplay mechanics are what make a game fun, the setting is what makes it immersive. Hence why the implementation of gameplay mechanics are measured by different means than the setting they allow the player to interact with. In the context of video games, gameplay isn't supposed to be realistic because it would make for a boring and tedious game. You're still interacting with the game through keyboard & mouse or a game controller, so short of donning a WWII uniform and a weapon, the mechanics are never going to be realistic. It's the setting that allows players to immerse themselves into the world, not the controls.

When you choose a historical setting for your game you should be aware of its limitations. If silly character customization is more important to you than the historical context, then you should opt for a fictional setting that can easily accommodate for such an over-the-top approach. But when you are marketing your video game on the premise of WWII, pirate samurai Mohawk bionic robot arm ladies just won't cut it. That is the major difference between a fictional alternate reality setting like Wolfenstein and the historical setting of Battlefield. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

DtYHUF8.png

As evidenced by the current like/dislike ratio on the BFV trailer, lots of people were interested in the historical setting of the game, especially when it's embedded into such a meaningful context as WWII. It's the reason why many gamers preferred BF over later installations of COD, not only because of the different gameplay mechanics, but also because BF was more rooted in its historical setting. I'm sure that lots of other people don't really care about that and that's fine too, but at the same time you can't fault those who care for airing their grievances. They were promised an immersive WWII setting, but got Battlefield: Looney Tunes edition instead. It's not even all about the female protagonist, but the stupid one-liners, the Katanas, the Braveheart warpaint, the Eyeliner (seriously, you're in a WWII situation but you still care about pointless cosmetics? how is that empowering?), the miracle prosthetic, the flamboyantly fashionable uniforms... it all takes away from the seriousness that was WWII and turns it into something ridiculously laughable.

In other words, this has f*ck all to do with gamers being angry misogynistic bumholes. The only ones who will be profiting from this needless pandering are not those fighting for inclusivity, it's not the game developers who clearly misunderstood their audience, and it's not the gaming community who will be painted in a negative light with a broad brush again. It's the gaming press who can exploit another controversy for outrage clicks and the ideologues who can mark this off as another political victory.

It's a shame that those who are merely interested in the political context neither pay nor play these games, but it's the ones who will be needlessly smeared and slandered again. Good job DICE, you wanted both and now you've got nothing at all. That said, despite the ADHD ridden trailer, the graphics look amazing though. Maybe the freshened up gameplay will be enough to win the audience over, despite its poor depiction of WWII.

Last edited:

He is talking about the changes youtubers are reporting. Everything will have an animation. If you need healing you will have to interact with a medkit. To revive someone you'll need to drag them away from gunfire and perform a reviving animation. On paper it sounds cool. But BF usually is very fast paced. If it's so risky to revive someone why bother at all? Just bleed out and respawn.

We don't know how this will affect the game.

Texas Pride

Banned
He is talking about the changes youtubers are reporting. Everything will have an animation. If you need healing you will have to interact with a medkit. To revive someone you'll need to drag them away from gunfire and perform a reviving animation. On paper it sounds cool. But BF usually is very fast paced. If it's so risky to revive someone why bother at all? Just bleed out and respawn.

We don't know how this will affect the game.

They're poorly attempting to force "teamwork" in a game that hasn't had team chat in the last 3 games. Like start there instead of drastically changing shit you'll probably end up patching out later. Or implementation of mechanics you can't change later. The whole thing sounds forced.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Every single major battle in WW2 featured either white men versus white men... or white men versus Japanese. That's a fact, i.e. people can handpick certain rare exceptions (such as the French with a minuscule number of colonial troops, women in Soviet sniper squadrons, African Americans in the US army & even Hanna Reitsch in the Luftwaffe!). But the rest was all an intra-European brother war with the Japanese as the only major player outside these powers.

To claim otherwise is a simple distortion of the truth & should be either laughed at, or in most serious cases rebuked entirely in the name of historical accuracy & decency towards the men who really did fight, suffer & die in that war. Poland 1939, Western Europe spring 1940, Soviet Union 1941, North Africa (1940-43), Italy 1943, Normandy 1944, Battle of the Bulge 44-45 etc. etc. i.e. = white men slaughtering each other.

If people want to genuinely touch upon the role of women, they need to study the logistics, nursing & manufacturing back home to witness the real contribution of women (& their actual vital importance). As for wielding machine guns, cricket bats & dropping f-bombs whilst shooting "ze Germans"? That's a far left power fantasy for bitter women ill-at-ease with their femininity.

They're poorly attempting to force "teamwork" in a game that hasn't had team chat in the last 3 games. Like start there instead of drastically changing shit you'll probably end up patching out later. Or implementation of mechanics you can't change later. The whole thing sounds forced.

I agree with you. But i'm optimistic. I want to see it in action before i can judge it.

About the backlash, i think it's deserved. It's world war 2. Not an alternate reality, made up war, bad company 3. Dice brought it on themselves.
Is it enough to ruin the game? If the game is good it won't matter.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have zero problems with the direction they are taking the game, but one has to wonder if bastardizing another world war is necessary. Why they don't just go full fictional at this point is beyond me.

Dibils2k

learning that the things in the trailer will actually be the game makes me abit more excited! i am looking forward to the random hilarity of rag-doll physics too lol

cryptoadam

Banned
WTH is going on. Who cares if there are women or POC in the game. People need to calm down. Its a Video game not a history lesson.

All the changes sound interesting and can either way. Its clear they are trying to capture the PUBG/Fortnite/BR audience, but not go all the way with a BR mode. Less health/bullets, scavaging, building etc are all interesting mechanics. But it comes down to how it plays. All the physical interaction stuff can be super interesting or super annoying.

Its going to be a totally different game IMO and that can work out or be an epic fail.

And with the details that came out, now the trailer actually makes sense and does look like actual gameplay. Ton of the new elements were in the trailer, dragging bodies, shooting through objects, the phyiscal interactions etc...

I will commend DICE for taking a risk and not just slapping a WW2 skin on BF1 and calling it a day. We will see how it ends up playing once the Beta hits.

Trailer was slightly disapointing in that it wasn't as hype as the BF1 trailers. Next trailers needs to be more bombastic IMO.

Chozo_Lord

I liked it, though I didn't see any disclaimer about it not being actual gameplay. Did I miss that? I think they actually made a good choice in not doing a super realistic WW2 game. Without being overly realistic, they can go crazy with the cosmetics that don't affect gameplay. This lets them not have a season pass and release free maps that don't fragment the community. My only concern is if they fixed the progression system. Even with buyable cosmetics, I hope there is a lot of stuff you can unlock that shows off your skill and just not how much money you spent. BF1's progression system was horrible and did not encourage you to keep playing.

natecuss

Neo Member

1PM PST
4PM EST
10PM CET

Official Reveal Trailer:

Was I the only one who felt it looks a little stylized? Almost kinda hero schooter influenced? The other thing that was odd in the later half of the trailer where it looked like we switched to Gameplay they did not ADS.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Every single major battle in WW2 featured either white men versus white men... or white men versus Japanese. That's a fact, i.e. people can handpick certain rare exceptions (such as the French with a minuscule number of colonial troops, women in Soviet sniper squadrons, African Americans in the US army & even Hanna Reitsch in the Luftwaffe!). But the rest was all an intra-European brother war with the Japanese as the only major player outside these powers.

To claim otherwise is a simple distortion of the truth & should be either laughed at, or in most serious cases rebuked entirely in the name of historical accuracy & decency towards the men who really did fight, suffer & die in that war. Poland 1939, Western Europe spring 1940, Soviet Union 1941, North Africa (1940-43), Italy 1943, Normandy 1944, Battle of the Bulge 44-45 etc. etc. i.e. = white men slaughtering each other.

If people want to genuinely touch upon the role of women, they need to study the logistics, nursing & manufacturing back home to witness the real contribution of women (& their actual vital importance). As for wielding machine guns, cricket bats & dropping f-bombs whilst shooting "ze Germans"? That's a far left power fantasy for bitter women ill-at-ease with their femininity.
This, just dont go mentioning facts like these on resetera, you'd be banned for sure lol.

WaterAstro

I think if they found an instance in history where a female soldier or soldiers had made a mark, they could latch onto that and make a story out of it.

It's like how people complained about how Ni-oh had a white dude, but it was actually a part of Japanese history, and how Nobunaga took an African as his personal guard, that happened for real. The Ni-oh devs didn't shoehorn an African into the game just because they wanted to appeal to SJWs. They put him in there because it is a cool part of Nobunaga's history.

If any company does anything like this, they need a historical point to latch onto or it just looks like it's pandering to whatever outrage about equal rights. This isn't the way to do it.

Bolivar687

Banned
If any company does anything like this, they need a historical point to latch onto or it just looks like it's pandering to whatever outrage about equal rights. This isn't the way to do it.

That's why I thought the Harlem Hellfighters were well played for the BF1 reveal.

It does kinda bum me out that we're getting all worked up about representation in a Battlefield game instead of its new features and mechanics. You guys are just playing into the identity politics mudfight by drawing a line in the sand about it. These websites are dying - let them fade into obscurity instead of paying mind to their demented hysterics.

WaterAstro

That's why I thought the Harlem Hellfighters were well played for the BF1 reveal.

It does kinda bum me out that we're getting all worked up about representation in a Battlefield game instead of its new features and mechanics. You guys are just playing into the identity politics mudfight by drawing a line in the sand about it. These websites are dying - let them fade into obscurity instead of paying mind to their demented hysterics.
Yeah, I was thinking about BF1 too. Maybe they'll reveal some details that make sense, but the addition of the hook arm makes it seem like they're shooting for something entirely unrealistic.
IGN comments for this is hilarious, they've labelled it 'Battlefield V-agina'!
Wow, that's a bit much for "professional journalist". They're going to get backlash for that lol.

JordanN

Banned
They could add robot dinosaurs for all I care. It's a video game.
The Battlefield series has always been about being arcadey, not some historical simulator.

Hell, the WW2 genre has been done to death. I don't think the industry is seriously lacking any "private ryan beach mission #9456" that's been all the rage for the last 20 years.

Last edited:

manfestival

I think if they found an instance in history where a female soldier or soldiers had made a mark, they could latch onto that and make a story out of it.

It's like how people complained about how Ni-oh had a white dude, but it was actually a part of Japanese history, and how Nobunaga took an African as his personal guard, that happened for real. The Ni-oh devs didn't shoehorn an African into the game just because they wanted to appeal to SJWs. They put him in there because it is a cool part of Nobunaga's history.

Just looked up that bodyguard for Oda Nobunaga just based on your post. That is some legit cool history that I am surprised doesn't get talked about more but they are apparently going to make a movie about him soon. So I imagine it will blow up soon enough.

I am totally cool with the idea of a war story focused on a womans perspective in the resistance. I think that is neat. War stories are fantastic for giving different perspectives on actual combat and events. Reminds me of the first Call of Duty where you get 3 campaigns that were just really stinking awesome.

They could add robot dinosaurs for all I care. It's a video game.
The Battlefield series has always been about being arcadey, not some historical simulator.

Hell, the WW2 genre has been done to death. I don't think the industry is seriously lacking any "private ryan beach mission #9456" that's been all the rage for the last 20 years.

Once again, I don't understand how people go for setting theme accurateness(which devs have said in interviews, at least the one I saw on angry joes channel) to gameplay exploitation. That is apples to oranges. You are going to get these sorta things in any game. Unless the game is entirely linear then you will find someone finding a glitch to an exploitative result

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Once again, I don't understand how people go for setting theme accurateness(which devs have said in interviews, at least the one I saw on angry joes channel) to gameplay exploitation. That is apples to oranges. You are going to get these sorta things in any game. Unless the game is entirely linear then you will find someone finding a glitch to an exploitative result
There was never a such thing. You never run out of ammo/fuel, or you get rocked by a mortar shell and still survive.

If you wanted true accuracy, a game like Squad or ARMA would fit that bill better. But Battlefield doesn't quite care about those things because again, it's more closer to being an Arcade shooter.

manfestival

There was never a such thing. You never run out of ammo/fuel, or you get rocked by a mortar shell and still survive.

If you wanted true accuracy, a game like Squad or ARMA would fit that bill better. But Battlefield doesn't quite care about those things because again, it's more closer to being an Arcade shooter.
Once again, you are taking it to an extreme that nobody is actual arguing. Everyone understands that it is a video game. Nobody is saying this is a real life simulator like Operation flashpoint or americas army kinda go for. That is missing the point/argument that people are struggling to make here.

Here, lets compare apples to apples.

BF1 Trailer. I am sure you can find the BFV trailer just fine. These are both reveals. 2 very different tones. Same company and overall product even. Can't be any easier to compare.

Last edited:

DonF

Here, lets compare apples to apples.

BF1 Trailer. I am sure you can find the BFV trailer just fine. These are both reveals. 2 very different tones. Same company and overall product even. Can't be any easier to compare.

God damn that trailer is so hype... I can't believe that the same company made both trailers.

JCK75

This just looks like Poo to me, all I honestly want is BF1942 or BF2 done with modern graphics and better shooter mechanics.. This looked more like Wolfenstein 2 than actual WW2

I just clicked on VG247.com because it's occasionally useful for gaming news (when they aren't whoring themselves out to Bungie, Fortnite, etc). And I saw this.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/05/24/battlefield-5-women-bothers-please-piss-off/

Before you even start – shut up.

Sit down. I’ve got children older than you. Behave yourself.

If you’re one of those people who has a problem with Battlefield 5 featuring women, blue facepaint and prosthetics, you’re not the type of person we want reading our website.

Don’t give us that “historically accurate” crap either. You can’t hide your small-minded misogyny behind it.

You’re an embarrassment. Go elsewhere.

Wow.

Top Bottom