• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Reveal Event Discussion Thread

WaterAstro

As far as I know women mostly took on non-combat roles in the war, cooks, medics, etc. Some countries also allowed them to join anti-arcraift units, but they were never in the frontline as far as I know.

I'm all for female characters in video games, but why not do it in a way that makes sense.
I wonder how people would feel if EA pulled a sort of Mulan story where the female character has to overcome sexism and prejudices of men.

Why does everything need to be obnoxiously ZANY like a pink haired person shouting memes at me nowadays? I feel so goddamn disconnected from my generation that it's not even funny.

MiguelItUp

I think it's way too early to judge it to be honest. I've been a fan since 1942, and I enjoyed enjoyed 1 quite a bit. But nothing in that "reveal trailer" had me jumping for joy. It was a prettier WW2, and the only "new" thing I saw was the ability to slide. It'd be really cool to touch base on wars we haven't seen in the Battlefield series yet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's a bit more rounded (modern day multiplayer) in the cut scene portion. They aren't calling each other c••••••••s left and right. Heads weren't falling off with turret fire. It had a good sense of chaotic combat. It had a good vibe going even if it didn't feel like soldiers acted that way. IMO soldiers died way before they jumped out a window when a tank pulled up, but I have no way to verify that ever happened.

I bet the world and guns are a perfect fit. The story and characters are pulling from another point of view in history with additional female characters. Lots and lots of diversity, which is awesome to have games do that. I even felt it wasn't as authentic as it may have been during that time and maybe that's just fine.

When the developers mentioned how often games don't touch on emotions or feelings; I was shocked. How do they keep getting away with the same thing? There's a lot of emotional games that have sensitive meanings to them. Barlog mentioned some about God of War.

Last edited:

ZiriusOne

I expected a gritty WW2 Battlefield game. What i got was Ragefield V: Fortnite Edition i guess?

No pre order from me. Need to see much much more of the game but this makes an awful first impression.

BtMSF.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
As far as I know women mostly took on non-combat roles in the war, cooks, medics, etc. Some countries also allowed them to join anti-arcraift units, but they were never in the frontline as far as I know.

I'm all for female characters in video games, but why not do it in a way that makes sense.

There were a number of notable women fighting during World War II, such as one of my favorites: Lyudmila Pavlichenko. She was a russian sniper who has an estimated 309 kills.

I am fine if they want to have females in the game - what I am not fine with is this insulting show of having them running around in the front lines with a prosthetic, looking damn near immaculate and "kicking ass".

Then again, the entire trailer was awful and that was just the first of many issues I had with it. I really enjoyed BF1 and thought the campaign was very tastefully done. This... this just seems like an insult to the men and women who served and fought for their respective nations.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member

Battlefield games is not a realistic, historical accurate shooter. Never has been.

Show us where in history these claw ladies participated in battle.

I did criticize that. I did write in my post that the character design was really bad.

World War 2 was fought by men with an overwhelming, huge majority. So including women comes across as pushing an agenda rather than telling a story that's somewhat realistic to WW2. I understand people who wanted a more real depiction of the war.

This is just DICE showing us how diverse their game is, for the sake of diversity and at the expense of historical accuracy. The latter was probably not their goal anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that almost only men were combatants in WW2.

Battlefield has never been historical accurate. Battlefield has never been a historical representation of war.

Plus, it's a damn videogame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Battlefield games is not a realistic, historical accurate shooter. Never has been.

I did criticize that. I did write in my post that the character design was really bad.

Battlefield has never been historical accurate. Plus, it's a damn videogame.
Shit, why don't we just have space ships dropping rhino shaped photon bombs then?

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, why don't we just have space ships dropping rhino shaped photon bombs then?

Now you are being obtuse. Are you really comparing a woman fighting on the battlefield with fucking space ships? Have you never played a Battlefield game before?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
To be fare the announcer did say someone asked if he served based on his knowledge of the weapons. One can only assume that people play Battlefield for its overall realism without it being an actual simulator.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
I have. What I suggested is about as realistic as that trailer which is set during WW2..

Yeah, trailer was really bad. Both Angry Joe and JackFrags has stated how bad it was compared to what they got presented and played yesterday. The press and YTubers got a 3 hour in-depth presentation of the game.

Katana is dumb. That arm the woman had is dumb. The design is cartoonish and "anti"-Battlefield. Female soldiers is not dumb and not part of the game's problems.

RedVIper

Banned

Battlefield has never been historical accurate. Battlefield has never been a historical representation of war.

Then whats the point of being set in ww2 if theyre going to do whatever they want anyway? I had the same problem with BF1 and how they gave modern weapons to everyone anyway even if the game itself was overall good.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Then whats the point of being set in ww2 if theyre going to do whatever they want anyway? I had the same problem with BF1 and how they gave modern weapons to everyone anyway even if the game itself was overall good.

I agreed with you. The game does not look good. My only point is that female soldiers on the battlefield is not a problem. I even disliked how the woman was designed with the blue hair and that ridiciolous arm.

In BF1 you can jump out of a jet, snipe/shoot and jump in while it's flying in the air. But a women on the cover (for some people in comments sections that's apparently enough) is way over the line.

Yeah, trailer was really bad. Both Angry Joe and JackFrags has stated how bad it was compared to what they got presented and played yesterday. The press and YTubers got a 3 hour in-depth presentation of the game.

Katana is dumb. That arm the woman had is dumb. The design is cartoonish and "anti"-Battlefield. Female soldiers is not dumb and not part of the games problems.

Sorry, but the female soldier IS dumb. You say the game isn't supposed to be historically accurate? Then why set it in WW2? Because WW2 actually happened.

How about 'Battlefield: Anglo Zulu Warfare', featuring black women fighting white Zulus? Is that cool?

This isn't a case of people being prejudiced against women or being racist. It's simply a case of people calling something that is fucking stupid, fucking stupid.

In my opinion, anyway.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but the female soldier IS dumb. You say the game isn't supposed to be historically accurate? Then why set it in WW2? Because WW2 actually happened.

How many games do you know that are set in WW2 that are historical accurate? Just because a game is set in WW2 or WW1 doesn't mean it MUST be historical accurate. It's all up the devs.

How about this one. WW2, woman on the cover. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

latest

There will probably be a lot of ahistorical weapons and equipments in the game, just like previous Battlefield games. You will most likely be able to fly like this in a jet:

SociableHeartfeltChrysalis-size_restricted.gif

I wonder how many soldiers did stuff like this:

aNmdNNm.gif

But a woman? Nope, too much.

How many games do you know that are set in WW2 that are historical accurate? Just because a game is set in WW2 or WW1 doesn't mean it MUST be historical accurate. It's all up the devs.

latest

There will probably be a lot of ahistorical weapons and equipments in the game, just like previous Battlefield. You will most likely be able to fly like this in a jet:

Main character Manon Batiste is based on Hélène Deschamps Adams, a real life member of the OSS,[5] the forerunner of CIA. Adams herself appears in the game's final mission to brief Manon before each level. Hirschmann, Langteau and Henson did some research by meeting up with people who had been involved with the French Resistance including Elizabeth Peet McIntosh and Hélène Deschamps herself.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor:_Underground

Stop embarrassing yourself. Unless you want to provide me with a source that proves the female, three clawed, 180 scoper in the BF5 trailer was based on an actual person.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

latest

There will probably be a lot of ahistorical weapons and equipments in the game, just like previous Battlefield games. You will most likely be able to fly like this in a jet:

You're, at the same time, complaining about the inaccuracies of a katana and a prosthetic arm and defending the presence of a woman on the frontlines, make up your fucking mind.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
You're, at the same time, complaining about the inaccuracies of a katana and a prosthetic arm and defending the presence of a woman on the frontlines, make up your fucking mind.

I already have. This thread is going nowhere.

People complaining about women in videogames. Haha.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

How about 'Battlefield: Anglo Zulu Warfare', featuring black women fighting white Zulus? Is that cool?

This isn't a case of people being prejudiced against women or being racist. It's simply a case of people calling something that is fucking stupid, fucking stupid.

In my opinion, anyway.

There were a number of very notable female soldiers, like the aformentioned Lyudmila Pavlichenko. The issue here three fold:
1.) The design/clothing is not period appropriate, nor is it appropriate for a soldier.
2.) A british(?) women would not be carrying around a bloody katana.
3.) She should be removed from action if she has a damn prosthetic. Not placed in the middle of a battlefield.

Females are fine. They existed and this game is not really going to be accurate to the size/scale of these battles. What urks me is what I wrote above.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
There were a number of very notable female soldiers, like the aformentioned Lyudmila Pavlichenko. The issue here three fold:
1.) The design/clothing is not period appropriate, nor is it appropriate for a soldier.
2.) A british(?) women would not be carrying around a bloody katana.
3.) She should be removed from action if she has a damn prosthetic. Not placed in the middle of a battlefield.

Females are fine. They existed and this game is not really going to be accurate to the size/scale of these battles. What urks me is what I wrote above.

This is something I can agreed with.

Aaron Olive

Wow both shooters suck this year.

Rebuilding destroyed buildings.
Spawning with low ammo.
Movable artillery.
Fucked up health system.

While I like some of the realistic changes this sounds like it’s gonna be a $60 beta test with helluva patches like BF1.

bosnianpie

They have never tried to re-create a battle with perfect accuracy, that's true and it would probably not be fun. However their WW-games are still very much based on historical events. You can see it in the weapons, uniforms, vehicles and maps for instance. In a way they all represent the actual event that took place. Adding women to be normal combatants, running alongside with men in those events is a poor attempt by DICE to make history a little more diverse when it comes to gender

Era is even worse than Gaf used to be if you have any opinion that does not fit the 'progressive' rhetoric. I just got banned for literally nothing. What is it with these idiots that run these sites? Ban reasoning: 'Negatively characterizing inclusivity effort'. What in the fuck?

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
-Forget it, no need to drag that here-

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Era is even worse than Gaf used to be if you have any opinion that does not fit the 'progressive' rhetoric. I just got banned for literally nothing. What is it with these idiots that run these sites? Ban reasoning: 'Negatively characterizing inclusivity effort'. What in the fuck?

Mate, everyone already knows how shit that site is. No need to try to bring it up here.

They have never tried to re-create a battle with perfect accuracy, that's true and it would probably not be fun. However their WW-games are still very much based on historical events. You can see it in the weapons, uniforms, vehicles and maps for instance. In a way they all represent the actual event that took place. Adding women to be normal combatants, running alongside with men in those events is a poor attempt by DICE to make history a little more diverse when it comes to gender

I can agree to a point. Personally, I don't particularly care if there are more "female" soldiers on the MP portion. As long as the SP is true to historical accuracy and that the clothes/weapons match the period - I will be mostly happy. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case from the trailer we were given.

ooteeni

OK I watched the trailer , So this is an alternative Universe game? or is it a futuristic game ? seeing that the woman looks to me to have a robotic arm.

What post? Interested in seeing it.

Many people in the reveal thread over there were saying stuff along the lines of 'you're sexist, a misogynist etc' If you had a problem with the historical inaccuracies etc. I made a sarcastic comment saying 'If you're interested in history you're a sexist! all of you!' That was literally it. Banned until the 30th.

manfestival

latest

I wonder how many soldiers did stuff like this:

aNmdNNm.gif

How in the world are you going from setting accurateness to gameplay exploitation/general use? That is apples to oranges.

Enosh

the one thing this trailer made clear is that I should just drop gaming altogether, obviously not the target audience anymore, been ages since I last played a non WoW game anyway

Cleared_Hot

Totes tons of women like that in WWII... 100% legit 😂😂🤣😂 when trying to appease to everyone goes wrong.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Man..I really want to be hype for this game. I really do. Going back to the BF1 reveal trailer. Dice is always on point with trailers...They always deliver...What happened?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The trailer was really bad. I was not expecting that from Dice.

I expect the game to be really good though. BF games are always a ton of fun.

Calibos

In the end, It’s a fucking game. People have gone batshit crazy here. If it was just a historically accurate shooter, it would be dead a couple weeks after launch.

Frags did an in depth discussion video that makes the game sound amazing to me.

Battlefield V in depth

They really should have just shown game play.

nani17

are in a big trouble
As a BF veteran, I was hoping for a Saving Private Ryan WII game but I forgot about all the amputee steampunk pirate woman that served in ww2. For people that say historically, accurate shooter go play something else BF was that game for us. Wasn't always bang on but it wasn't BS. Imagine your favorite game probably bad example halo about space master chief and they just decided to make it more like destiny because it's popular and the core features that made it Halo were gone

Honestly the women I can get over but WTF did I watch. Why are they catering to the COD crowd with the face paint and ohh a crawl and a cricket bat maybe 2.99 microtransactions for the crawl?. All we need now is emotes for when we win a game and we have the full set. You can build and fortify places oh and you can rebuild knock buildings and replace broken doors. Wow, I remember the story about Germans l and the lack of tool boxes on D-day they could have to rebuild broken bunkers within minutes.

I always dislike COD for getting too cartoony was the word I used. You know being able to duck a land mine a jacket could stop a rocket launcher etc now DICE shows the above very worrying times for me not 100% sure so far

Last edited:
Ngl, I'm so fucking triggered by this ban I've got on Era. Feel free to ignore me but I need somewhere to vent :D

Note from mod after thread was re-opened:

'It's fine to have differing opinions on the trailer and presentation of Battlefield V.

What isn't okay is defending the exclusion of female characters on grounds of historical accuracy. Doing so will get you banned for sexism. We aren't messing around with people trying to use their ignorance of history to defend their bigoted views'.

(This is from Sweet Nicole)

I'm literally flabbergasted at this bullshit. Not only are you a sexist if you disagree with the representation, it is also you who are ignorant of history! Am I living in a parallel universe? This is why I don't generally participate much on online forums, they're full of fucking morons.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
More than anything this got me. What the fuck are they even trying to do here?
People complained that there wasn't enough customization... now people complain theres too much.

I wish devs just made the games the way they wanted instead of listening to the whinging masses but hey, welcome to our new society.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Ngl, I'm so fucking triggered by this ban I've got on Era. Feel free to ignore me but I need somewhere to vent :D

Note from mod after thread was re-opened:

'It's fine to have differing opinions on the trailer and presentation of Battlefield V.

What isn't okay is defending the exclusion of female characters on grounds of historical accuracy. Doing so will get you banned for sexism. We aren't messing around with people trying to use their ignorance of history to defend their bigoted views'.

(This is from Sweet Nicole)

I'm literally flabbergasted at this bullshit. Not only are you a sexist if you disagree with the representation, it is also you who are ignorant of history! Am I living in a parallel universe? This is why I don't generally participate much on online forums, they're full of fucking morons.
Yup, that forum is a dumpster fire.

Top Bottom