• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kung Fu Jedi said:
They use to play them in order. But I think since they've run through the entire series, now they just play random re-runs.

I re-watched much of the series on UHD when it was the only way to see BSG in HD.

Jedi, re-watch that scene in Razor I mentioned and tell me I'm either on to something or hopelessly extracting water from a rock. :D

Frak yeah! Not only is Battlestar Galactica back this Friday, but I've just wrangled up some juicy scoop about the Caprica spinoff.

In case you haven't heard, Sci Fi has ordered a pilot called Caprica from BSG creator Ronald D. Moore. It goes back in time to before the creation of the Cylons for a look at life in the Colonies before, well, everything blew up.

Caprica is the story of two families, the Graystones and the Adams (better known to us now as the Adamas), and we'll be meeting the man who fathered and grandfathered the goodness that is Bill and Lee Adama (Edward James Olmos and Jamie Bamber). Interestingly, when I interviewed Ronald D. Moore last year, Caprica's plotlines were not directly tied to the characters we know from the current series. I asked RDM if there might be any Thrace-Adama-Agathon-Roslin ancestors in Caprica, and he told me, "Right now, there are no ancestors of anybody in the pilot." Well, looks like that changed in the intervening time, and thank goodness!

Read on to find out how the Graystones and the Adamas may have inadvertently started the First Cylon War...

The Graystones include father Daniel, a computer genius; mother Amanda, a brilliant surgeon and unfaithful wife; and their daughter, Zoe, who is martyred to her boyfriend's religious fanaticism—but not before she installs the rudimentary elements of her personality and DNA into a machine, creating a digital twin of herself, Zoe-A.

After the human Zoe's death, Daniel uses these raw materials, some stolen technology and his own grief to cobble together "a robotic version of his dead daughter." This robot version, known as Zoe-R, is a Cylonic Eve, the first of her kind. (Dun-dun-dun!)

And in this corner, ladies and gentlemen, meet Grandpapadama! As Adm. Bill Adama once told us, his father, Joseph, was a great attorney of his day, fighting for the civil rights of the Twelve Colonies' downtrodden and marginalized. But that's not his whole story: Joseph Adama's wife and daughter were also killed in that same suicide bombing that took Zoe Graystone's life.

The two fathers, Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama, work together on replicating their children in cyborg form, but "Joseph is ethically appalled by the robot version of his dead [daughter], Tamara, and repents his actions." Those Adamas are all hardass conscience, aren't they?

Still, the one happy result of the Adama family tragedy is that Joseph and his young son, the 9-year-old Bill, grow closer to each other, and Joseph begins to explain their family's story to his sad, somber child. But will their bond prepare them for the havoc soon to be wreaked by the rise of the Cylon nation?

So let's see: religious fanaticism, political intrigue, industrial espionage, personal anguish, crazy robots. Check, check, check, check, check. Sounds like a Battlestar Galactica spinoff to me! What do you guys think?! Thumbs-up, thumbs-down, wait and see? Post your thoughts in the comments.

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/krist...&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_kristin

To be honest I wish it had no connection with any characters from the current show. So I would prefer it, if it wasn't the patriarch of the Adama's and they created a show in that universe with no familial ties to BSG.

I'll definitely watch it and give it a chance, although my real interest level is almost entirely based on how involved Ron Moore will be.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So I see that, on the eve of Season 4 premiere, Comcast has seen fit to bestow our area with new HD channels. But does it include SciFi in HD? Noooo, I now have frickin' Animal Planet and CNN in HD. ANIMAL PLANET.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I can't help but think that Caprica will turn out like a Sarah Connor Chronicles. Pretty good at first but goes downhill fast after the first few episodes.

And a show like that shouldn't be on the air for more than 24 episodes but I can't help but think they'll try to milk it.

But that's not his whole story: Joseph Adama's wife and daughter were also killed in that same suicide bombing that took Zoe Graystone's life.

The two fathers, Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama, work together on replicating their children in cyborg form, but "Joseph is ethically appalled by the robot version of his dead [daughter], Tamara, and repents his actions."

Yea, lawyers build robot replicas of their dead kids all the time.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Vyse The Legend said:
Do we know how long the break will be between the first 10 episodes and the second set? Please don't say 2009...

I wouldn't say 2009, but rather the subsequent year following 2008.

fallout

Phoenix said:
Who the frack fracked off in my frackin coffee! Frackin frackers!
I just caught up with BSG over the past month (watched the miniseries, season 1, season 2, the webisodes, season 3 and Razor) and I've actually caught myself saying "frack" at work.

Memles

That doesn't sound all that interesting to me, either, but let's get real: BSG probably didn't sound too great on paper at first either. I'm not saying that this has anywhere near the same potential, but still: in listening to commentaries, Moore has been thinking about it for awhile. So, I'm tentatively intrigued.

Been rewatching the third season DVDs. Am extremely hyped.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It took me a LONG time to get over the fact that they made Starbuck a woman.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HOLY FRAK that extended trailer on scifi.com is FRAKING AWESOME

Less than 12 hours to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Question:

For us poor euros, is this thread going to be SPOILER-FREE re. Season 4?

Or will spoilers be flowing a-plenty in here after tonight?

Just want to know if I need to make an exit from this thread :(

gofreak said:
Question:

I would just assume there are spoilers in here.
Just like you'd assume there would be spoilers in the weekly Lost threads.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fistfulofmetal said:
I would just assume there are spoilers in here.
Just like you'd assume there would be spoilers in the weekly Lost threads.

gofreak-cry, but I know it makes sense.

Maybe the OP could keep track of where episode spoilers begin in the thread.

So, if the OP says "Episode 2 spoilers start in Post #334", then I know I can read up to post #333 once I've seen episode one.

megateto

gofreak said:
Question:

gofreak, do you have anything against torrenting tv shows? I know what I am going to watch tomorrow morning :D

DY_nasty said:
It took me a LONG time to get over the fact that they made Starbuck a woman.

I'm not sure I'm entirely over it yet. It doesn't help that THIS Starbuck is a whiney fracking bitch. Probably my least favorite character on the show.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
megateto said:
gofreak, do you have anything against torrenting tv shows? I know what I am going to watch tomorrow morning :D

I've never actually torrented anything in my life believe it or not, so I wouldn't know where to begin!

I'm tempted, because they're even airing the first episode in advance on their site (just not available to international folk, I'm guessing).

I mean I HAVE bought every season so far on DVD, and the miniseries (and Razor). And I WILL buy Season 4. And I'll probably buy them all AGAIN on Blu-ray whenever they come out.

So..would I be bad to do it? :|

gofreak said:
I'm tempted, because they're even airing the first episode in advance on their site (just not available to international folk, I'm guessing).

Hotspot Shield should work fine to let you watch it legally (I think) on the site. It gives you an American IP Address I use it for Hulu all the time

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MiloFoxburr said:
Hotspot Shield should work fine to let you watch it legally (I think) on the site. It gives you an American IP Address I use it for Hulu all the time

I tried to use this with Hulu, but it just crashes my Firefox. I might try another, or maybe even torrent. It'd be nice to keep up with GAF discussion.

Soroc

Man I think Caprica sounds really really bad. I thought they were going to go back to the time period leading up to the first Cylon War. That would have been a much better spin off imo. Especially after watching Razor and seeing Adama's flashback.

gofreak said:
I tried to use this with Hulu, but it just crashes my Firefox. I might try another, or maybe even torrent. It'd be nice to keep up with GAF discussion.

Odd, it shouldn't crash Hulu and hotspot shield works fine with firefox. Torrenting is naughty :p

-edit- Actually doesn't matter scifi.com can see through Hotspot Shield :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Even the fender bender I got this morning won't ruin tonight. Sure, during the workday, I'll be fucking pissed, but tonight, it's the Beginning of the End.

Frenck

Banned
Some rampant speculation:

I believe that Lampkin is the final cylon. The missing person at the table would sit next to Lee and as we all know Lampkin is Lee's new father figure or at least mentor. He mentioned that he was in love with a woman for 10 years and that their relationship simply ended (in an unknown but probably tragic way). I think that the woman might have been the by now boxed D'anna, probably sent to spy on Joseph Adama as a sleeper agent. Lampkin apparently was an apprentice of Adama.

The only thing I really can't wrap my mind around is the time scale. D'anna must've been around for a really long time before the attack on the colonies and she definately isn't one of the final five, but then again, we don't know for how long the colonies have been infiltrated by non-final five cylon agents.

Why D'anna? She apologized for something when she saw the final cylon model and she didn't spend significant time with anyone in the fleet or do something so horrible that would justify an apology, especially if you consider that cylons and humans are mortal enemies. She must've done a very horrible thing to that person.

Like spending 10 years with him just to disappear without a trace after her mission was accomplished.

Pheww, so is it bullshit or am I onto something? :D

Tim Goodman's S4 p/review in the SF Chronicle. He loves it. I didn't read the whole thing because I'm not sure if there are spoilers, but here's a few snippets.
Tim Goodman said:
It seems hard to imagine as it enters its fourth - and final - season tonight, but "Battlestar Galactica" remains the best drama nobody seems to be watching. Well, the loyalists are watching - and they are crazy for the sci-fi series that was "reimagined" from the cheesy late 1970s series into a minimalist, dark, ambitious wonder.

There are many small and wonderful dramatic accomplishments in the underappreciated gem that is "Battlestar Galactica," but perhaps the most enduring is that what was conceived of as an epic space adventure has turned into a finely detailed, intimate drama. By avoiding the overblown pomp of traditional sci-fi material, the series can focus on the circumstances of the human condition. It's a brilliant genre twist that more people need to discover.

Question for GAF. My girlfriend who has never watched BSG before has been talking for a while about watching it with me tonight (but I think she just wants to tease me about how nerdy it is). I however am so excited that I want to watch the online version and am going to have a tough time waiting until tonight. I'll have finished my 40 hours at 2:00. Should I watch online and then jut pretend it's new when I watch it tonight? What do I do?

Coop

I just turned on Sci Fi (they are have a BSG marathon), first episode I see is the Woman King.

*click*

Watching now bitches!

For those of us that watch the stream please spoiler your discussion until it airs for the benefit of those who can't watch until this evening. Let's be kind people and not turn this into one of those threads.

gdt

I havent watched any of the previous seasons. I cant really buy them right now, so, do you think watching the re-cap and the episodes on Hulu are good enough for me to enjoy this season?

I can hold out to watch it in Glorious HD tonight. But anyone who wants to read the review at AICN, they usually do a fine job of not spoiling the big stuff.

Clipjoint

gdt5016 said:
I havent watched any of the previous seasons. I cant really buy them right now, so, do you think watching the re-cap and the episodes on Hulu are good enough for me to enjoy this season?

No. You have to watch every episode from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom