• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

As the resident Bear McCrearyophile, it's time to point out that, this week, he has an absolutely fucking awesome 9000 word interview with Michael Hogan, plus news on next week's episode (the music-centric one he's been teasing for over a year now) and the news that they've completed the final orchestral recordings on the series.

All this... and more here.

EDIT:

bg418bearcameo.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
adg1034 said:
As the resident Bear McCrearyophile, it's time to point out that, this week, he has an absolutely fucking awesome 9000 word interview with Michael Hogan, plus news on next week's episode (the music-centric one he's been teasing for over a year now) and the news that they've completed the final orchestral recordings on the series.

All this... and more here.

McCreary is a God. I hope we see him again in more A+ series/films in the future. The music is really what ties Battlestar's sci-fi elements together with it's mythological fantasy elements. Brilliant.

Solo

I liked it more than last week's episode, thats for sure. Also, the the BSG fans who tried to bend me over and rail the shit out of me in the Lost vs. BSG thread for not watching all of BSG, good news - it has just been announced that BSG: The Complete Series will be hitting Blu-ray on July 28. All the series in one package on my preferred format? Yeah, I'll jump on that.

Ep was good, not quite as good as some of the previous ones we've seen this season...but

That scene near the end where Boomer is sleeping and you see the chief staring at her made me :eek:

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Sir Fragula said:
But that actually made sense. Although it does presumably limit the distance from Earth to Colonial space as no more than 2000ly...
i don't care if it makes sense and can be explained scientifically. it just didn't fit in the BSG universe for me. it felt shoehorned.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So this was one of those episodes, and I knew while watching it that GAF wouldn't be so hot for it :p

It cleared up some fairly important things though.

If there hadn't been an effort on the part of some of the cylons to leave the others (specifically tori) in light of pure cylon reproduction, I would have been surprised. So to have that little in-fight was important I think, otherwise I'd have considered them to have completely wussed-out on tori for example.

It was also more important for the re-instating of Hera as 'important', so they can get back onto that plot and tidy up those threads. So the way this episode sidelined the 'pure cylon'..it was done well enough I think, they could have just had a regular miscarriage or just killed off Caprica Six altogether, but tying it all in with Ellen/Tigh etc. was interesting.

It was also nice to see more Gauis/Six.

I thought it was a decent episode, but probably the weakest since its return. After the past three though, I was somewhat expecting a let down. This one seemed to be the set-up for the remaining episodes.

Solo said:
I liked it more than last week's episode, thats for sure. Also, the the BSG fans who tried to bend me over and rail the shit out of me in the Lost vs. BSG thread for not watching all of BSG, good news - it has just been announced that BSG: The Complete Series will be hitting Blu-ray on July 28. All the series in one package on my preferred format? Yeah, I'll jump on that.

To be honest I find it absolutely sickening that your watching this series backwards :lol. I mean good god...

Meh.

It had its moments like others have said, but focusing on a plot line that i detested from the moment they introduced was too much for me. A big fucking turn off to say the least.

I'm just gonna treat it as one of those episodes that are there but i don't really care about and don't have much desire to rewatch.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Another thing that seriously irked me was the complete lack of discussion of what Tigh did to Ellen on New Caprica. That was probably one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series. After Ellen and Cavil's brief conversation last week, I thought there would be some sort of payoff. What do we get instead? A quickie. WTF.

Solo

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm glad that they're going to just release the whole damn thing on Blu-ray, as it has been hell collecting seasons and half-seasons (half seasons? come the fuck on NBCU) over the years on DVD. You and I have similar enough tastes (at least in movies) that I think you'd like it, Solo, especially if you watch it in the proper order. :D

I'm hoping so. Ive seen enough praise from people I generally agree with for S1/S2 that there must be something to it (most of the other random episodes Ive seen were from S3).

And yeah, the DVD releases for this show are beyond retarded. Couple that with the fact I havent bought a DVD period in almost 2 years now that Ive gone Blu, and getting the entire series in one BD package is perfect.

BorkBork said:
Another thing that seriously irked me was the complete lack of discussion of what Tigh did to Ellen on New Caprica. That was probably one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series. After Ellen and Cavil's brief conversation last week, I thought there would be some sort of payoff. What do we get instead? A quickie. WTF.

Yep, its like, the last time they saw each other was him handing her a cup of poison, as she died in his arms....and the first thing they do is make out and frak on a table? Sigh.

bachikarn

Solo said:

got a link?

Cipherr

I was somewhat ok with the episode. But handing baltars cult guns is just to stupid. And I hate the fact that undoubtedly something bads going to happen and more screen time in the last episodes are going to be wasted on Baltars cult bs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BorkBork said:

Judging by the last episode, she seemed to be at peace with it pretty much as soon as she came out of the goo-bath. She was already defending Tigh to Cavil.

I also assume there was some unexposed talk between them, in the time between leaving the raptor and arriving at the meeting room with Roslyn etc. But yes, for Tigh's sake at least, it might have been good to see some of that, to see him perhaps trying to explain himself. But I think they probably also just knew now that all of that was immaterial.

The gun-cult stuff is probably gonna end up..sticky... but would have been nice to see exactly what Baltar was proposing to Adama in exchange for arming them..if there was anything more to their plan than him and his gang getting and distributing food to the people.

Memles

The Storyteller said:
Yep, its like, the last time they saw each other was him handing her a cup of poison, as she died in his arms....and the first thing they do is make out and frak on a table? Sigh.

The entire episode was a giant poisoning session for Ellen as a character, a rushed return to a previous identity that was never given time to fully develop in the course of the episode. New Caprica was such a perfect end for that character: she was still conniving, still manipulative, but it had turned into a desperate attempt to save her husband. Ellen didn't sell out humanity because she was pure evil, but because her love for Tigh outweighed her view of humanity. The tragedy of that final moment, as Tigh knows all of this but has to poison her anyway, was perhaps the most powerful moment the show has had.

And then here, they are reunited, and Ellen reverts back to someone who is manipulative out of sheer jealousy, hateful out of sheer anger, and is actually willing to place the entire fate of humanity and her own kind, even now with KNOWLEDGE OF HER OWN IDENTITY, in danger over a storyline ripped out of a soap opera. That doesn't add up for me, not with the Ellen we saw last week and not the Ellen we saw on New Caprica. Going from enlightened to Season 1 in two seconds flat? Not something that works for me, at all.

I was trying to keep this reply from being too angry, but I made the mistake of reading an interview with Espenson about the episode that actually only made me angrier. Here's the link, and a few choice excerpts that stood out as prime candidates for my new game: see how many times you ask yourself "Where was that in the frakking episode?" It's FUN.

Jane Espenson talks about 'Deadlock' with Mo Ryan and Alan Sepinwall - Interview - The Watcher

It seems like there are two different factions, among the humans and among the Cylons -- those who want to retain the "purity" of their race and those who are willing to live with a "blended" culture. I sense this will not go well -- looking at history, any time you have two groups like this close proximity, they tend to clash. Thoughts?

Well, I think the clashing of those two factions was carried out pretty well during the recent mutiny.

Uh, no. And also: it was then dropped like a rock in "Blood on the Scales" and "No Exit." If you think that was "carried out," you're crazy.

What had to be cut from "Deadlock"?

I'm watching it now -- as it's going past, I'm trying to recall this. Oh, there was a whole little runner about the possibility of bringing Centurions over to help keep order among the civilians. It was a very cool idea, but there was ultimately no room for it. And there was a big debate about whether Laura/Lee/Adama would allow the Final Five to reunite, with or without witnesses. And there was a really fun exchange between Tigh and Ellen about her poisoning in which she pretended to be furious about it. Tigh: I thought you know it was poison! You asked for the cup! Ellen: I was thirsty!

So wait...you wrote all sorts of actually really interesting story pieces that would have made Baltar's storyline make more sense, would have added greater meaning to the Final Five reunion, and given some more depth to Tigh and Ellen's reunion...and then it got cut out? The mind, it boggles.

Why does Galen Tyrol want to leave the fleet? I thought the fact that he took his old job as Chief meant that he wanted to stay with the Galactica.

He took his job back because Adama asked him to. But he is increasingly distanced from his old life.

He is? Huh, I'd have liked to see that instead of, you know, Adama staring at the same construction over and over again.

Why would Adama -- with Roslin and Lee's apparent agreement -- give Baltar's fringe faction lots of large guns? I know Adama hasn't been himself lately, but this seems like a bad idea.

Adama is having trouble maintaining order on the ship. He lost a lot of marines during the mutiny. If he doesn't get some sort of force that can keep the civilians under control, he will have to consider using Centurions from the base ship, and he fears a civilian insurrection if he did so. Baltar says that this is the last human solution, and Adama has to agree.

"Adama HAS to agree, of course - since we showed you that two other options didn't work, even when there are all sorts of logical leaps necessary, just take our word for it that this was all reasoned out off screen. He HAD to, guys!"

Is there a mythology reason why Head Six has been absent for so long, or why she happened to return at this exact moment? Or have a lot of Head Six (and/or Head Baltar) scenes been left on the cutting room floor for a while for more practical reasons?

There is not a mythology reason for it.

Well, no, not until it's convenient for you (See: Opera House Visions and Caprica's pregnancy).

...okay, I think I'm done now. Bitterness excised. Maybe. Hopefully.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Memles said:
Uh, no. And also: it was then dropped like a rock in "Blood on the Scales" and "No Exit." If you think that was "carried out," you're crazy.

See, this is exactly what I was afraid of. They opened up a big can of worms and now there's no time to resolve it, so they half-ass the whole arc and call it a day.
So wait...you wrote all sorts of actually really interesting story pieces that would have made Baltar's storyline make more sense, would have added greater meaning to the Final Five reunion, and given some more depth to Tigh and Ellen's reunion...and then it got cut out? The mind, it boggles.

If they would have added in the bit with the Centurions or the lack of Marines, that would have made sooo much more sense. I still wouldn't have liked it, but I can understand the logic. As for Ellen and Tigh, I still wanted a more serious scene than HAHA I WAS THIRSTY SO I DRANK YOUR POISON.

He is? Huh, I'd have liked to see that instead of, you know, Adama staring at the same construction over and over again.

No kidding.
"Hey I'm putting everything I have into saving your ship sir.. oh wait vote time, screw you guys I'm going to the basestar and humanity can all just get wiped out without Galactica."

"Adama HAS to agree, of course - since we showed you that two other options didn't work, even when there are all sorts of logical leaps necessary, just take our word for it that this was all reasoned out off screen. He HAD to, guys!"

Because Adama and Baltar are such close trusting buddies, don't you know? Of course, giving weapons to a bunch of women in a cult led by the person who has repeatedly screwed with the fleet is the only wise move.

The more I think and read about this episode, the angrier I get.

Cipherr

Ugh....cant stop thinking about it. Bad episode man. It seems like we arent going to get some stuff explained, theres not enough time and we are still getting episodes like this.

And wow @ cutting out the scene where they considered bringing in centurions to fill in for marines. That would have added alot. Stupid that it was cut.

anaron

B.K. said:
If anyone hasn't seen it in the HD Movie thread, Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series comes out on Blu-Ray July 28.
Finally! I've been hoping forver that they'd release something like this. Just wish it was before I bought the seasons. :lol :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Puncture said:
Ugh....cant stop thinking about it. Bad episode man. It seems like we arent going to get some stuff explained, theres not enough time and we are still getting episodes like this.

And wow @ cutting out the scene where they considered bringing in centurions to fill in for marines. That would have added alot. Stupid that it was cut.

Oh snap, that would be madness. If that was in the episode it would be very effective. It is as if Galactica is becoming a baseship.

JayDubya

Banned
Meier said:
A bit of a ways behind... reveal of the 5th cylon was absolutely a HUGE disappointment...seriously weak.

Last week's episode made up for it, I felt. This week's episode kind of made me slightly more "meh" about it, but I'm still pretty optimistic about the tail-end.

adg1034

For those of you who care about the music, a comment from, where else, Bear McCreary's blog:

ISing4Cylons said:
FYI - everyone who’s reading this- I was at the last orchestral scoring sesh.
You will lose your mind at the coolness. You will. And I’ve heard it all. Had I man parts, I would’ve had the biggest music boner in the world.
yeah.

Juice

Puncture said:

Felt the same way. Every minute at this point that doesn't explain something is a waste of potential eternal fulfillment.

badcrumble said:
I really hate Jane Espenson.

Colors the above.

TaeOH

Aegus said:
Jesus christ people. BSG is much better than it was during the last 16 episodes of season 3 and the first half of season 4.

Basically it went to shit once Pegasus blew up and is now slowly creeping towards the old quality of the season 1/season 2.

Edit: Hell you guys haven't even mentioned that the Arrow of Apollo and the Tomb of Athena haven't been explained or likely will be nor that Kobol contained no references to the the 13th tribe being Cylons. You'd think that'd be a thing that deserves a bit of a mention in the Pythian bible thingy.

The writers are pulling this crap out of their ass, this is plain. They never had a plan. Did they all write soap opera's before they got this gig?

In any case I agree with you, season 3 sucked, that is when I stopped thinking of it as the Battlestar remake and even a Sci Fi show, and now just think of it as a character driven show that each episode would be hit or miss. I kept watching only to see the character development, plus I wanted to see how they were going to get to Earth.

Up until until this episode, the restart of Season 4 has been the best this show has done since season 2. SO I have hope they will end it ok. This episode and the many like it in Season 3 is why if this was not the last season, I probably would not be watching.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
This episode sucked!

I hate it when shows have a circle of writers, and some of them just don't get it. You get inconsistent character tendencies, meaningless side-stories, wasted dialog, ect ect.. It wasn't all bad though, there were still some interesting bits, but come on! we've only got a few episodes left, I don't wanna mull over how much Tigh loves Six vs Ellen, or have to listen to Ellen act like a high-school bitch for half an hour. Jesus, Battlestar you kick too much ass to resort to these kinda eps in the final stretch :/

gdt

I liked it... but isn't it a little late in the game for an episode like this?

On top of that, they expect us to care for a couple that literally came out of NOWHERE.

Cipherr

Juice said:
Every minute at this point that doesn't explain something is a waste of potential eternal fulfillment.

This, this and more this. Im not saying that this episode is like the worst television has ever seen or anything. It would be fine if this were two seasons ago when they had more episodes per season than they knew what to do with. But it isnt, theres barely any goddamn time left and so many open holes.

Zabojnik

Meh episode? No, terrible episode. That's pretty much all one can say about it, although I see people are coming up with fantastic excuses. Come on. I love(ed?) the show, but this was awful. The finale better be fucking amazing.

Aegus

Dark FaZe said:
Plotlines surrounding Tigh sexing up a Six is supposed to come close to anything in S1/S2? Come on.

I find the fact that Tigh effectively created his own Sex Doll and is now paedo-ing his own "child" utterly hilarious.

Munin

Jesus Christ this show has sunken to an unfathomable low. We're entering the realms of unintentionally funny here. Amazingly horrible dialogue and actors that aren't even trying anymore, but the usual excellent production values. It's making my head spin.

Aegus

It's like people forget episodes like Black Market and Downloaded (which incidentally got us into this whole shitty mess)

Walshicus

TaeOH said:
The writers are pulling this crap out of their ass, this is plain. They never had a plan. Did they all write soap opera's before they got this gig?

In any case I agree with you, season 3 sucked, that is when I stopped thinking of it as the Battlestar remake and even a Sci Fi show, and now just think of it as a character driven show that each episode would be hit or miss. I kept watching only to see the character development, plus I wanted to see how they were going to get to Earth.

Up until until this episode, the restart of Season 4 has been the best this show has done since season 2. SO I have hope they will end it ok. This episode and the many like it in Season 3 is why if this was not the last season, I probably would not be watching.
When it's all over it'd be nice to go through and fan-cut it down to two really awesome series.

Aegus

The Storyteller said:
Downloaded is one of the best of the series. And it's widely considered just that.

By who? Oh sure the initial concept sounded cool I bet, but it's led them down the very shitty path of "who are the final five" which took away the emphasis of finding Earth.

Nevermind it completely destroyed any menace the Cylons had and turned them into a bunch of clueless fucks instead of the near no mercy "DESTROY ALL HUMANS" thing they had going on.

Oh and have they explained why the 13th tribe left a beacon with a cylon killing virus onboard yet?

Yaweee

Aegus said:
Oh and have they explained why the 13th tribe left a beacon with a cylon killing virus onboard yet?

They won't address it in the future, because it's nothing important. They left a beacon for the other tribes, but it was contaminated with the viruses of their time, one of which was lethal against modern cylons.

Aegus

Yaweee said:
They won't address it in the future, because it's nothing important. They left a beacon for the other tribes, but it was contaminated with the viruses of their time, one of which was lethal against modern cylons.

You can't just say it isn't important when a virus that only effects modern cylons (which incidentally all of the Final Five are as well, so why were the BSG stationed Cylons not affected).

Besides why would the 13th tribes colony ship contain a number of viruses that they then offload on a beacon. Why take them with you?

Yaweee

Aegus said:
You can't just say it isn't important when a virus that only effects modern cylons (which incidentally all of the Final Five are as well, so why were the BSG stationed Cylons not affected).

Besides why would the 13th tribes colony ship contain a number of viruses that they then offload on a beacon. Why take them with you?

It isn't that they intentionally laced the satellite with viruses. It's that anything a species handles will inadvertently be contaminated with viruses and bacteria present in their systems. Those cylons could have been immune to it, but the BSG cylons are built differently and don't necessarily have the same immune systems as the Earth cylons. The Final Five are Earth cylons, so they were presumably immune to the virus.

Think medicine blankets the European colonists gave to natives, killing them because their immune systems hadn't yet adapted to them.

Aegus

Yaweee said:
It isn't that they intentionally laced the satellite with viruses. It's that anything a species handles will inadvertently be contaminated with viruses and bacteria present in their systems. Those cylons could have been immune to it, but the BSG cylons are built differently and don't necessarily have the same immune systems as the Earth cylons. The Final Five are Earth cylons, so they were presumably immune to the virus.

Well no they are not. Maybe when they arrived in the 12 Colony systems they were, but when Cavil killed them all and had them downloaded into other bodies you can safely make the assumption that they used the same bio-tech as the other 8 cylons. There should be no biological difference between the Final 5 and the other 8.

Anyway another thought occurs to me.

How did the 12 Colonies know to design their flags based on the stars as seen from Earth given that Earth-Cylons have no FTL technology? Did some of the Earth Cylons do a 2000* year round trip to relay this information whilst also building the Tomb of Athena, a nice little Arrow to point the way to earth (that somehow ended up in Colonial hands) and a recreation of Earth with a nice stargazing view.

*Assuming that Kobol is halfway between Earth and the colonies (which is unlikely considering that Starbuck got their in a few Raider jumps).

rhino4evr

Ok Episode, I just didn't buy any of it.

1. I didn't buy that Ty and Six having "True Love" would some how cause Six to get pregnant. I'm pretty sure that LOVE has nothing to do with procreation. When six got labor pains while Ellen and Ty were frakking, I laughed. Oh no, the baby died because you didn;t tell me you love me? REALLY?

2. I also didn't buy Ty being in love with Six in the first place. In Love? When? He basically raped her in her jail cell from what I remember. In love with the idea of a son, I would buy, but that didn't seem to be the case.

3. I didn't buy Tyrol wanting to go to the Basestar, but I can KINDA understand. His first love turned out to be a cylon, so he left her. His second love was blown out of an airlock, and his son isn't really his. i think he may just want off Galactica to escape. STILL it seemed like a reach after choosing to fix Galactica with Cylon goop.

4. I didn't buy Baltar getting BIG GUNS so that he could protect his cult. What does that solve? Why would Adama agree, because he feels guilty about the Cylons being mixed into the ship? I don't understand it at all.

5. Ellen has always been an emotional rollercoaster, and she was by far my least favorite on the show..period. I was hoping she would come back more focused and intelligent. NOPE..she's still the hard core bitch that I always hated. I DON"T BUY IT. She seems more pissed about her husband cheating on her, then uhh...KILLING her. How does that make sense? Ty had no reason to stay celibate after she died. WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

6. Why did we see the exact same shot of Adma watching "construction worker Six" repair the Galactica?

Big-E

I seem to be the only one to actually like the episode. I thought it had some great moments with Tigh and Adama together.

Yaweee

Aegus said:
Well no they are not. Maybe when they arrived in the 12 Colony systems they were, but when Cavil killed them all and had them downloaded into other bodies you can safely make the assumption that they used the same bio-tech as the other 8 cylons. There should be no biological difference between the Final 5 and the other 8.

Hmmm, you might be right.

Not like we'll get any sort of explanation, though. I'm pretty sure it was just a throwaway plot-line before they solidified the Final Five or what was on Earth.

Xater

I hated this episode.

It's one of those episodes of BSG where almost nothing happens and maybe we get one new tidbit of information. Really boring and aggrivating especially if you think about how many episodes are only left.

Aegus

Yaweee said:
Hmmm, you might be right.

Not like we'll get any sort of explanation, though. I'm pretty sure it was just a throwaway plot-line before they solidified the Final Five or what was on Earth.

And that's what is pissing me the most about BSG in general. Moore and Co. had the potential to create the definitive Sci-Fi TV series ever, but due their unwillingness to plan their show out it's become a jumbled mess of throwaway plot lines and hastily decided major plot lines. The entire series should have been planned out from the end of season 1 even If there was a chance of cancellation or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom