• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
What I want to know is how did Boomer know exactly how to get to the fleet? Technically the cylons have no idea where they are right? I mean they've jumped so far away, all the way to earth and then some.

Also, with the ending where Gaelen looks at Boomer in prison and then they show Six touching an eight ID card that was posted onto the dead wall, what does that imply? Obviously I don't think it means Boomer died, but that was a seriously poor execution of the blending theme in the episode that had other implications.

Cipherr

Crab Shaker said:
What I want to know is how did Boomer know exactly how to get to the fleet? Technically the cylons have no idea where they are right? I mean they've jumped so far away, all the way to earth and then some.

I had been wondering that since the preview for this episode last week when they made it clear that boomer was able to get ellen back to the fleet. How in the facking hell did she know exactly where they were? Perhaps I missed something?

border

As if the Saint Baltar plotline weren't annoying enough, they seem intent on somehow weaving it into the crucial final episodes of the show - yay. I'm sure his highly-armed brigade of bimbos is going to fuck everything up soon.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
They don't even have guards down there in Dogsville? I was kinda surprised that Baltar & Co got robbed right there, out in the open. I don't get why Adama gave Baltar and his crew weapons either.

Boring episode all in all -- especially since I'm sure there are a lot of other more interesting scenarios they could come up with instead, or work on how to end the show in a good way. Ellen came back, after seemingly having become enlightened or some shit like that in the last episode, and reverts straight into scheming and disrupting everything.

Crab Shaker said:

Ellen would know where Earth was, so they would be able to get there easily. I don't know how many times Galactica jumped after they found Earth

Big-E

darkiguana said:
Ellen would know where Earth was, so they would be able to get there easily. I don't know how many times Galactica jumped after they found Earth

I think only once because after that the mutiny and stuff started and then the damage was found.

bluemax

Banned
Pretty shit filler esque episode. Only thing that I really liked was the Tigh and Adama interactions, especially at the end.

Otherwise this episode just felt so worthless, especially with only 4 episodes left.

Memles

ItsInMyVeins said:
They don't even have guards down there in Dogsville? I was kinda surprised that Baltar & Co got robbed right there, out in the open. I don't get why Adama gave Baltar and his crew weapons either.

Deleted scenes from the episode expanded on all of this: they are down in Marines because of the mutiny, so they can no longer maintain order. The reason that he gives Baltar's group the weapons is that their only other option is bringing over Centurions from the baseship, and that kind of blending isn't what Adama has in mind. Hence why Baltar is able to sell Adama on this as the final "human solution."

Wouldn't it have been great if that was in the episode?

By who? Oh sure the initial concept sounded cool I bet, but it's led them down the very shitty path of "who are the final five" which took away the emphasis of finding Earth.

Nevermind it completely destroyed any menace the Cylons had and turned them into a bunch of clueless fucks instead of the near no mercy "DESTROY ALL HUMANS" thing they had going on.

I've been trying to figure out how best to respond to this all day, and have never quite found the right response.

First, on the question of Earth, this was never actually an emphasis. In the tradition of the Romantic Quest Narrative, it was quite literally an aimless quest. There was no map, there was no clear cut path, and the result was that it was much less about the actual end goal and rather the journey of those who are on that path. The quest for Earth has never been about actually getting to Earth: Adama didn't even know if it existed when he created the quest, just wanting to restore hope to his people. The quest for Earth was instead something that would in many instances divide or bring together the fleet: Roslin's religion and Adama's pragmatism, for instance, are two major character traits that the search for Earth really brought to the surface.

The reason that Earth being destroyed worked so well in theory was that it took what was always a point of hope more than a point of substance and showed it for what it was: all of a sudden, the entire fleet had reason to doubt their leadership, to doubt that the people who were trusted with this quest had led them to the best of their ability. The quest for Earth was about giving guidance and hope to a people who had neither, and due to its lack of actual substance could never have been the show's only preoccupation.

As for the question of the Cylons becoming too weak, I don't think that "Downloaded" can be blamed for this particular criticism. From the point of the first season, in Boomer, we began to see the type of conflict between human and Cylon identity, and as the second season continued Athena brought this question to the forefront by relating more with the humans and with Helo/Adama in particular. The binary between human and Cylon was becoming more complex, and "Downloaded" was only picking up on those elements by focusing on the idea of what happens when Cylons aren't the type of people who are born killers, who have interacted with humans enough to be more aware of their creators (or who they believed to be their creators) and the ways in which they operated.

The Cylons could never have been sustained as absolute killing machines, because this show has never been interested in being the definitive Science Fiction series as you seem to have wanted it to be: yes, the show might have been on that path in the very early episodes like "33," but that kind of pace and that kind of simplicity was never sustainable. Starting with Boomer, and extending into the second and third seasons, the questions of human and Cylon interaction were inherently complicated, and while I will agree that parts of Season 3 dragged I don't feel it was because they were wrong to focus on the question of the identity of the Final Five, but rather due to the show's normal pacing problems within 22 episode seasons. To trace any of those problems back to "Downloaded" is not judging the show on its own merits, but rather taking the show you wanted it to become and pretending as if the show ever had a chance of existing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OK, i seem to have forgotten but this brings it back into the open and made me remember....

Where did all these civilians come from that are on board Galactica?

Memles

DrForester said:
OK, i seem to have forgotten but this brings it back into the open and made me remember....

Where did all these civilians come from that are on board Galactica?

My impression is that, because many of the civilian ships were out of commission or potentially damaged in the exodus from New Caprica, many of the people who came back were without homes, and that they ended up on Galactica, which itself was now overpopulated since the Pegasus people were also without a home. In short, it led to the creation of Dogsville, which hasn't really been visited since Helo's trip down there in the awful "The Woman King."

Saerk

ItsInMyVeins said:

Boring episode all in all -- especially since I'm sure there are a lot of other more interesting scenarios they could come up with instead, or work on how to end the show in a good way. Ellen came back, after seemingly having become enlightened or some shit like that in the last episode, and reverts straight into scheming and disrupting everything.

Im going to guess that it has something to do with the shortage of marines because of the coup a couple episodes back. I think Adama has considering using Cylons to poliice the lower levels, but decided to go with Baltar's woman brigrade because he was there. It doesn't seem like a great idea though.

Ellen may be enlightened, but she is the same jealous, manipulative bitch she has always been. Her personality was never altered.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Memles said:
Deleted scenes from the episode expanded on all of this: they are down in Marines because of the mutiny, so they can no longer maintain order. The reason that he gives Baltar's group the weapons is that their only other option is bringing over Centurions from the baseship, and that kind of blending isn't what Adama has in mind. Hence why Baltar is able to sell Adama on this as the final "human solution."

I guess so, because I thought it was kinda weird that people went around like bandits and robbed people like that in the open without there being some sort of reaction from Adama, the president & Co.

But the thing about giving Baltar the weapons still striked me as odd. Can't they find anyone better suited for policing the area than Baltar?

Saerk said:
Ellen may be enlightened, but she is the same jealous, manipulative bitch she has always been. Her personality was never altered.

Obviously she is, after seeing this episode. But that's definitely not the impression I got from the last one, where she first comes back and acts all enlightened and stuff. And in the next episode she's exactly like before again.

Kastro

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Ok Episode, I just didn't buy any of it.

1. I didn't buy that Ty and Six having "True Love" would some how cause Six to get pregnant. I'm pretty sure that LOVE has nothing to do with procreation. When six got labor pains while Ellen and Ty were frakking, I laughed. Oh no, the baby died because you didn;t tell me you love me? REALLY?

2. I also didn't buy Ty being in love with Six in the first place. In Love? When? He basically raped her in her jail cell from what I remember. In love with the idea of a son, I would buy, but that didn't seem to be the case.

3. I didn't buy Tyrol wanting to go to the Basestar, but I can KINDA understand. His first love turned out to be a cylon, so he left her. His second love was blown out of an airlock, and his son isn't really his. i think he may just want off Galactica to escape. STILL it seemed like a reach after choosing to fix Galactica with Cylon goop.

4. I didn't buy Baltar getting BIG GUNS so that he could protect his cult. What does that solve? Why would Adama agree, because he feels guilty about the Cylons being mixed into the ship? I don't understand it at all.

5. Ellen has always been an emotional rollercoaster, and she was by far my least favorite on the show..period. I was hoping she would come back more focused and intelligent. NOPE..she's still the hard core bitch that I always hated. I DON"T BUY IT. She seems more pissed about her husband cheating on her, then uhh...KILLING her. How does that make sense? Ty had no reason to stay celibate after she died. WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

6. Why did we see the exact same shot of Adma watching "construction worker Six" repair the Galactica?

Agreed with pretty much everything you said. Disappointing episode. :(

The Ty/Caprica plotline was just cringeworthy from the get-go.

NimbusD

Memles said:

Wtf, this episode was executed horribly, that would have really justified everything. The way it stands it made absolutely no sense for Adama to give Gaius the weapons with no convincing. I like where they're heading with the end game though being basically merge into one (species? I guess) or continue going over everything again and again. But this episode brought that theme into the show so fucking hamfistedly it makes me want to cry. NOOO MY BABY DIED BECAUSE I CAN'T LOVEEEEE, etc.
I do like how the children fit into being so important because we were always told they were for some reason, basically it presents their two options continue on their own or come together as one. But again, executed very poorly.

adg1034

Kastro said:
Agreed with pretty much everything you said. Disappointing episode. :(

The Ty/Caprica plotline was just cringeworthy from the get-go.

2808649241_53a3caa969.jpg

It's Tigh. Tigh. TIGH.

"Ty" means two things:

TyHeart.jpg

and

ty-775819.jpg

And since Col. Tigh is neither an outdated toy manufacturer nor a house-building TV personality, this is now a learning experience. For everyone.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
rhino4evr said:
Ok Episode, I just didn't buy any of it.

1. I didn't buy that Ty and Six having "True Love" would some how cause Six to get pregnant. I'm pretty sure that LOVE has nothing to do with procreation. When six got labor pains while Ellen and Ty were frakking, I laughed. Oh no, the baby died because you didn;t tell me you love me? REALLY?
It was established when Athena got pregnant that love was the reason. Before that no Cylon could get pregnant because they didn't love each other.

The Storyteller said:
Downloaded is one of the best of the series. And it's widely considered just that.

Dude... Downloaded is the episode where we learned that Cylons drink starbucks while lounging around in the irradiated ruins of Caprica. I think that's enough to make it "widely considered" to be ridiculous.

Fuzzy said:
It was established when Athena got pregnant that love was the reason. Before that no Cylon could get pregnant because they didn't love each other.

That's so stupid it hurts.

JayDubya

Banned
Fuzzy said:

Speculation by one of the characters is not really something that can establish something like that. And it's probably for the best if such a thing remains in the realm of speculation.

Phoenix

Big-E said:
I seem to be the only one to actually like the episode. I thought it had some great moments with Tigh and Adama together.

Those few good moments didn't take the place of an otherwise terrible episode.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Fuzzy said:
It's apparently known to Cylon fetuses on a quantum level regardless of their state or the knowledge of their parents too. Soon as Tigh started boning Ellen, the fetus started to self-abort.

Holy crap, I hope they don't actually try to foist that idea off on the viewers.

Drozmight

did they ever explain that weird part where head baltar was holding up someone or something, and to everyone else it looked like nothing was holding something up?

Frog

Drozmight said:
did they ever explain that weird part where head baltar was holding up someone or something, and to everyone else it looked like nothing was holding something up?

If you're talking about the scene where headsix kept picking up Baltar so the Marines would keep beating on him, the intention was that it appeared to everyone else like he was getting up on his own. Moore said on the commentary it wasn't supposed to look like he was actually levitating.

JayDubya said:
Speculation by one of the characters is not really something that can establish something like that. And it's probably for the best if such a thing remains in the realm of speculation.
I agree it's silly, but that's what they went with. Otherwise the Cylons could've just raided a sperm bank and had a million hybrids.

I wonder if they are ever going to explain the connection between Baltar and Head Six. I mean I will accept the explanation that his ordeal on Caprica with the Six and the invasion simply caused him to develop mental illness and hallucinations. However if it really is some cylon connection to a secret six somewhere I want to know.

rhino4evr

JoshuaJSlone said:
I agree it's silly, but that's what they went with. Otherwise the Cylons could've just raided a sperm bank and had a million hybrids.

it still doesnt make sense, as Tigh obviously loves Ellen.
and he didn't really start "loving" Six until she announced she was pregnat.

It just doesn't add up, unless there is something else they arent telling us, but for god sakes I hope not. I could care less about this subplot.

AVclub

The cylon soap opera was silly this week, but you can hardly call this a filler episode:

Adama does a 180 from "use only humans and no cylon tech" to "whatever it takes to fix Galactica"
The final 5 are reunited and plan to bail out
Pure cylon baby goes to cylon heaven
Baltar stops being selfish (and discovers a son)
Six kicks ass when attacked
President warms up to cylons
Adama's assassin returns to the Galactica
Ellen reunites with Tigh
Adama and Tigh get closer than ever

Lots of stuff happened....it just didn't involve explosions and space battles.

Kastro

Banned
AVclub said:
The cylon soap opera was silly this week, but you can hardly call this a filler episode:

Adama does a 180 from "use only humans and no cylon tech" to "whatever it takes to fix Galactica"
The final 5 are reunited and plan to bail out
Pure cylon baby goes to cylon heaven
Baltar stops being selfish (and discovers a son)
Six kicks ass when attacked
President warms up to cylons
Adama's assassin returns to the Galactica
Ellen reunites with Tigh
Adama and Tigh get closer than ever

Plus the end with Adama and Roslin was good where they're looking at the Cylon pictures and realizing that the merging of cylon and human is already occurring.

The ship being a kind of metaphor for that.

rhino4evr

AVclub said:

I agree that stuff happened. i just don't buy any of it. Everyone seemed to be acting against character/logic to move the story forward...

Tyrol wanting to leave the ship (the only way ellen would be the deciding vote to add tension)
Ellen being angry about Tigh cheating on her, instaed of killing her (some how tied into Six loosing the baby)
Six loosing the baby (to re-focus on the importance of Herra, and drop the possibility/question of Cylon and Cylon procreation)
Adama giving Baltar boxes of guns (no clue where this is leading, but it may result in Baltars death. With the most recent Mutiny, is now the time to give heavy weapons to a cult religion?)
Tigh sudden true love for a cylon he's been in 3 or 4 scenes with. (to give a "reason" for the possibility of Cylon procreation, even though Ellen his wife for 2,000 years never could)
Roslin/Lee acting suspicious of letting the final five reunite...but then not doing or saying anything (I guess this was cut from what ive read.)

now that i think about it...why is Starbuck still going back and forth between Lee and Anders? During the mutiney she kissed Lee, and now that Anders was shot she seems completely heartbroken over him, and has completely forgoten about Lee. AGAIN. I thought RDM said he wanted to end the love triangle between those three. I guess that is keeping with character...I just thought we were done with all that.

I wouldnt call the episode filler. I would just call it a disappointing pill to swallow. This was the worst episode of the season.

Still, i am just as anxious to see what happens next. Im not like some posters that thinks the show completely sucks one week, and then completely reverses their opinion when a good episode airs. This seems to happen a lot around here. It's either..this was an awesome episode, this show rocks!! OR.. This is the worst show ever, it's jump the shark, gone downhill, etc etc.

Even great shows have bad episodes every once in awhile.

Kastro

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Ellen being angry about Tigh cheating on her, instaed of killing her

I'm not upset about that really. The cheating part is lame, but she already came to terms with why he killed and understood why. This was covered last episode.

rhino4evr

Kastro said:
I'm not upset about that really. The cheating part is lame, but she already came to terms with why he killed and understood why. This was covered last episode.

I guess it was "covered", but if she was willing to forgive him for that. Not forgivng his having sex with someone else (whle he thought she was dead) is beyond silly. It was also stupid for her to get mad that he had sex with one of the "children". he had no idea that he was her creator at the time.

Not to mention that Ellen has been frakking around on Tigh the entire series.

I guess it just gives me more reasons to hate her character. I thought she would come back a different person, but she is still a giant train wreck. I wish she stayed dead.

AVclub

rhino4evr said:
I agree that stuff happened. i just don't buy any of it. Everyone seemed to be acting against character/logic to move the story forward...
I don't want to get into a debate about semantics, but the last season and a half have been about complete twists on characters. The most cylon-hatingist motherfucker on Galactica (Tigh) who killed his own wife for helping them IS NOW A FUCKING CYLON. How can you possible rationalize how someone like that is supposed to behave?

The same can be said for any other character. Many of them have gone from hero to heal as quickly as the old days of WWF. One day a character is the savior of humanity, the next a cylon sympathizer. We see characters on trial for treason, then we see them acting as the messiah of the downtrodden. Such is the nature of television drama, even in space.

And for what it's worth, the Six/Tigh/Ellen triangle makes perfect sense if you consider the nature of men and women. Caprica looks like a hotter, younger Ellen. Even Ellen said as much this week. Tigh kills his wife, discovers it's for nothing, then falls for a hotter version of her. He's obviously in love with Ellen's memories and associates them with Caprica's body. He even pictured her when he banged Ellen. Now, Ellen being the smart skinjob she is, realizes all this. So the betrayal is not when Tigh tries to protect humanity from the cylons and poisons her. The betrayal is when he picks the newer and shinier model (she said Six is like their child) over the old and worn in one.

All that said, I wasn't crazy about this last episode but it didn't shock or disappoint me. If anything, I was a bit flummoxed when doctor Baltar didn't put two and two together about his son. But that seems to be no problem for anyone else.

adg1034

icarus-daedelus said:
Wow. I am kind of wondering how you missed the billion other name-misspellings in this thread. William Odama, reporting for duty!

I didn't- that's just the one that put me over the edge. Besides, it was, like, 3 AM my time, and I was cranky.

But still,
i_odama_portada_big.jpg
!=
barack_obama%20dem%20convention.jpg
!=
cast_adama.jpg

DrBo42 said:
This season really is a piece of shit so far. I hope they can step it up and end on a high note.

I thought the last episode before the break (between 4.0 and 4.5) was pretty good, and the mutiny 2-parter rocked. But other than that, it hasn't been as good as I was hoping. Of course, I was a bit let down by a lot of season 3 as well.

I just can't believe with only 4 episodes left in the series that shit isn't edge-of-your-seat crazy right now. It doesn't feel like a show that's about to end.

DrBo42

megashock5 said:
I thought the last episode before the break (between 4.0 and 4.5) was pretty good, and the mutiny 2-parter rocked. But other than that, it hasn't been as good as I was hoping. Of course, I was a bit let down by a lot of season 3 as well.

I just can't believe with only 4 episodes left in the series that shit isn't edge-of-your-seat crazy right now. I doesn't feel like a show that's about to end.
Exactly. It feels like the typical mid-season bullshit before the "OMG HOLY SHIT" mode kicks in. Yeah I was talking about just 4.5, I thought 4.0 was pretty solid.

rhino4evr

I have to admit, I have no clue where this show will end. At one point i figured they would find another "Earth". but now I wouldn't doubt the entire colony gets destroyed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Teehehee, I think that was the first time a TV show has referenced masturbation by saying "wack" and actually been hauntingly sad.

EDIT:
:lol We all bumped this thread at the same time!

Liked the very beginning piano tune along with Starbucks rambling. To me that sort of feeling is what the shows about. Instantly got a sick feeling in the back of my throat the second I saw her giving instructions to a room with six's all over the place though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom