• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DarienA said:
I know my peevishnish doesn't revolve around around the lack of revelations... I'm peeved at how quickly they regressed Ellens character... we spent the entire episode watching Ellen poison/manipulate whomever she came across intermixed with drunk Adama staring at the repair crew... oh yeah and Baltar.

Ellen is the same person she always was, just with new information. Cavil didn't change their personalities at all, he just blocked the access to their critical memories. Like was said before, she has probably always been manipulative and petty, but that's why Tigh loves her so much.

anaron

~Kinggi~ said:
This show is turning to shit. Something felt off last episode, but this one confirmed it. All the cylon drama, starting to feel like some cheap soap opera. Balter is back to being an idiot. The acting is coming off amateurish, its like they shot everything in a day and had only 1 take. Too much fucking crying by the once badass XO.

Incredibly disappointed, and with only 4 episodes left, i see nothing recalling the greatness of the past seasons to end the show.

Yeah, I mean who would ever cry about their CHILD dying? A badass sure wouldn't! :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Yes his son died. What a pussy.

Sometimes I wonder if I've been watching the same show the rest of you have for 4 seasons...
Ever since he became a Cylon he's been a pussy. All this "final five" group think is totally downplaying his character.

Fuck, even Adama is a broken man now. Its fine if he is like that for an episode or two, but he's been that way forever now. This show is becoming so aimless its rediculous.

The only thing driving it is the supposed "answers" that will be revealed. This show worked at its best when they had clear, simple goals. Either escaping the cylons, or trying to find Earth. That set up all the great stories of overcoming the odds.

Coop

I can understand him crying about his son but the whole "I love Caprica Six" and their relationship in general is beyond retarded and contrived. PLus Tyrol wanting to leave the fleet and Adama giving Baltar's crazy cult guns? :What an horrible episode.

It was nice to see Head Six again.

~Kinggi~ said:
Ever since he became a Cylon he's been a pussy. All this "final five" group think is totally downplaying his character.

Fuck, even Adama is a broken man now. Its fine if he is like that for an episode or two, but he's been that way forever now. This show is becoming so aimless its rediculous.

The only thing driving it is the supposed "answers" that will be revealed. This show worked at its best when they had clear, simple goals. Either escaping the cylons, or trying to find Earth. That set up all the great stories of overcoming the odds.

I was going to type up a long post but I changed my mind so I'll just say that I disagree on pretty much all your points and say that the things that turn you off are some of the exact things that appeal to me and turn me on. Not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. Just saying there is another side.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Coop said:
I can understand him crying about his son but the whole "I love Caprica Six" and their relationship in general is beyond retarded and contrived. PLus Tyrol wanting to leave the fleet and Adama giving Baltar's crazy cult guns? :What an horrible episode.

It was nice to see Head Six again.
Yeah, it wasnt just his kid dying, its all the daytime TV professions of love and togetherness the Cylons are bringing to the show, and shitting it up badly.

It doesnt help i found Ellen to be one of the most annoying characters ever, and now she is lead of the show. HORRID

And to think, i was such a huge fan of this show not too long ago, and my how it has fallen.

anaron

I'm not the biggest fan Tigh/Six either because I feel like I never saw anything that would warrant love between them. Their relationship just sort of happened suddenly with almost no development as to why it did.

Phoenix

DarienA said:
The pacing is off.... dragging.... awkward sutters....

This. This episode was in a position where it should have really delivered. I mean there are only 4 EPISODES LEFT and this one just felt wasted.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looks like from the preview for next week it's going to be Starbuck/Boomer-centric.

My take on this one:

"That's it?!" That was my immediate reaction after seeing the credits.

-I do not like the B-plot with Baltar. At all. I never cared for the whole cult plotline, but everything involved with that in this episode was stupid, stupid and more stupid. Baltar is portrayed as being an idiot because anyone with half a brain must know that handing out free food would attract trouble, and relying on a couple of women with small firearms as your backup when marines were shooting up the ship not too much ago.... not such a bright idea. It also seems quite out of character for him to be doing something like that. The last time I remember him in the cult, he was lighting up a cigarette in the background not caring about anything. Maybe he was just trying to score points with the MILF.

Everyone in that cult except for the pragmatic one is also an idiot. But that's pretty much been established throughout this season, so I can forgive that.

I cringed at his unconvincing "guns and more guns and bigger guns" speech. I cringed again that they actually GOT bigger guns and everyone is all peachy keen.

Also, Head Six pops back up with no surprise or buildup, like it's business as usual. That was pretty disppointing.

-I was hoping that Ellen would return as a character with different motivations after regaining her memories. I guess they're going in another direction. I'll reserve judgement on that.

My fundamental issue with the whole Ellen/Caprica/Tigh triangle thing is that it's built on what I think is a pretty poor foundation: Tigh and Caprica falling in love. That was never for a moment remotely convincing to me, so after this episode I'm inclined to believe that the baby was more of a plot device to try to make the decision tough for Tigh to choose. In one sense, I'm glad it's not dragged out.

-There were quite a lot of little things that bugged me as well. Reactions around Anders when Ellen found out Caprica was pregnant, too many shots of Adama looking at the ship,
the slow and awkward pacing. On the bright side, I quite liked the Cylon memorial (not sure why they would have need for photos of identical looking people, but hey!), and Tigh's scenes with Adama (can't believe people claim that he shouldn't cry). But this is definitely for me the weakest 4.5 episode thus far.

Maybe I'm complaining too much. Back to finishing Season 2 of the Wire, which OMGAWESOME so far.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I guess I was okay with this episode, it wasn't very revealing but we'll see how it goes with the Cylons.

Sucks that the cylon fetus died, but I guess that's just to borrow time for the five to remain in Galactica.

v1cious

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
This show is turning to shit. Something felt off last episode, but this one confirmed it. All the cylon drama, starting to feel like some cheap soap opera. Balter is back to being an idiot. The acting is coming off amateurish, its like they shot everything in a day and had only 1 take. Too much fucking crying by the once badass XO.

Incredibly disappointed, and with only 4 episodes left, i see nothing recalling the greatness of the past seasons to end the show.

thank you for giving me an excuse to use my new gif
mh_gtfo-1.gif

BorkBork said:
-I was hoping that Ellen would return as a character with different motivations after regaining her memories. I guess they're going in another direction. I'll reserve judgement on that.

I was thinking the same thing

Stoney Mason said:
I liked the episode. I'm pretty sure the rest of the thread hated it for various reasons (mainly because people want to advance a ton in each episode) but I liked it. Felt very human to me and real.

I liked it too. I really enjoy what they've done with Tigh.

B.K.

If anyone hasn't seen it in the HD Movie thread, Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series comes out on Blu-Ray July 28.

trilobyte

can anyone give a spoiler tagged overview of the last 10 min? My DVR cut out at the part where Caprica tells the doc to cut the baby out :-/

B.K. said:
If anyone hasn't seen it in the HD Movie thread, Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series comes out on Blu-Ray July 28.

Awesome. I hope it's priced reasonably, although I doubt it will be.

Man people really hated tonight's episode. Just remember people it could have been worse, you could have been watching Dollhouse.

B.K.

dead souls said:
Man people really hated tonight's episode. Just remember people it could have been worse, you could have been watching Dollhouse.

I'm hoping this is going to be like episode 12. Everyone hated it, but it set up for the two great mutiny episodes. I'm hoping this was just a set up, like it was.

joesmokey

BorkBork said:
My take on this one:
I agree with a lot of this.

I think this episode would've been good in another season, but at the end of it seeing there are only 4 episodes left, I couldn't help but feel like this episode was out of place. Sure it's obviously setting up stuff for the final episodes, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been executed better. Do we really need tons of shots of Adama staring at his ship? We get the point by now...

The highlight of the episode for me was Roslin and Adama seeing the Cylon photo wall. The scenes with Tigh and Adama were good but the whole storyline with Tigh I just can't get into.

Hopefully we actually find out more about Starbuck next week, they're dragging this out too long.

Anyone else think Cavil's going to jump in at any moment because of Ellen and Boomer's escape?

joesmokey said:
Anyone else think Cavil's going to jump in at any moment because of Ellen and Boomer's escape?

A little too obvious isn't it? Rebel Cylons/Galactica vs Evil Cylons is coming probably because of Boomer and from there we go to the finish with Starbuck/Hera/ending.

joesmokey

Dark FaZe said:
A little too obvious isn't it? Rebel Cylons/Galactica vs Evil Cylons is coming probably because of Boomer and from there we go to the finish with Starbuck/Hera/ending.
It keeps feeling like that's what it will come down to, but come on, how cheesy would that be.

Hopefully there's something better planned.

Enojado

I probably missed this, but how the fuck did Boomer and Ellen find Galactica? I thought Galactica had jumped away from Cavil's ship and that he didn't know where they were.

Memles

I hated this episode.

Not because it didn't advance the mythology: I am all for episodes that focus on character, or focus on the fleet, and don't deal with overarching mysteries. But this episode seemed to be operating AGAINST those mysteries, almost as if to say that a petty soap opera is going to decide the fate of humanity.

And I think it might be too late for us to have an episode like this one: it's kind of like playing checkers on a chess board, and this entire episode felt like they were playing the wrong game considering the circumstances. Questions like why Tyrol agreed to go with the Cylons (perhaps a deleted scene wherein Tyrol worries about Boomer, and his connection with her, and that he could eventually end up like her ostracized from humanity? I dunno, something would have been nice), or how Boomer found Galactica, or any other multitude of questions: there are ramifications there that were choked out by a storyline from Days of our Lives, acted quite admirably but otherwise devoid of real meaning to the stakes at hand.

If last week's episode had been more nuanced, I think part of this episode could have worked. There is something to be said for the idea of Tigh and Ellen, when called upon to make an important decision, have difficult decisions to make and Ellen in particular turns into a flawed, revenge-driven monster of sorts, the exact kind of behaviour that Cavil used in dispersing the five to begin with. But last week's episode was so clunky, and this week's episode so suddenly melodramatic, that the nuance is just gone for me. There was no subtlety, no moment where I didn't feel like this was the show readjusting for the future while indulging in scenes that weren't necessary - this all could have been dealt with in a single act if they had really wanted to, and then the ramifications could have been more clearly laid out.

As for the Baltar plot, it's just one big problem: it doesn't make any sense for his character, arming Baltar's group seems to me like the dumbest idea for Adama/Roslin, and shoehorning Baltar into the main storyline with something that is this forced is a cheap development that could have actually made sense had they given him more than a modicum of screentime thus far this half-season.

Memles

BorkBork said:
You pulled that from the Wire, didn't you? :lol

You bet I did.

Next week, I'll explain how Starbuck's fate is really just like the story of the guy who invented the Chicken Nugget.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Enojado said:
I probably missed this, but how the fuck did Boomer and Ellen find Galactica? I thought Galactica had jumped away from Cavil's ship and that he didn't know where they were.
They knew they were looking for Earth and Ellen knew where Earth was. Put those together and it's easy for them to find Galactica.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm thinking I'm not a huge fan of Espenson. She must have written something I like. I just don't recall her work on Buffy or this show being to my liking.

She did that stupid union episode, I remember, and on Buffy, "Doublemeat Palace" was all her fault. And yes, I say it like that purposefully and vindictively. Just awful. :lol

Walshicus

Did not like this one. Seriously, what happened? Nothing!

This episode needed more of last week just as last week needed more of this. :|

JayDubya

Banned
The episode had its moments, but I do wonder why they wrote in Liam and Nicky if they were just going to retcon or kill 'em. Wasn't a very good payoff, and you could have spent that time with character development or whatever on Hera, or something else entirely. Hera's almost never on the show anyway.

Seemed a little too disjointed, but I didn't quit after the union episode, the Jehovah's Witnesses meet Mengele episode, or Black Market, so whatev.

bachikarn

I definitely didn't like the Caprica Six baby storyline. Did they not know where they were going when they first started it? Because it felt they realized they needed to write the plot out when Ellen came back.

But yeah, this episode was pretty slow. It would have been better if this and the last episode was joined together and we saw actual flash backs instead of Anders spouting out the history lesson.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think Capricas baby served it's purpose in proving exactly what Helen said right at the start of this episode "I'm still the same Helen". That's what this whole episode was about. I think the fact Anders came back to life at the end proves that, the writers just needed him out of the way for a week while they reintroduced Helen.

She'll do whatever it takes to get the Humans & Cylons to where she wants them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like right now the show is neither good or bad.
It just "is."

It can basically do whatever the fuck it wants and I'll still watch.

There were a few moments i liked in this one, but the majority of it was some hilariously hamfisted shit. It didn't help that we are supposed to buy Tigh and Six together. They've gone from a kind of abusive, obsessive relationship, as Tigh deals with his cylonicity, to being all lovey dovey together... DOES. NOT. WORK. Especially since there has been like zero development of them together. I realise they wanted to make the point that cylons now had a chance to procreate, but this relationship is just so contrived. It's still the one really big misstep this season. I liked that Ellen was back to her manipulative ways though. At least this soap opera wasn't boring!! :lol

This episode wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so heavy handed and melodramatic - Jane Espensen again reinforcing why i think she is such a weak/wildly inconsistent writer. Memles hit the nail on the head that all this stuff could have easily been dealt with within a single act. It wasn't pointless within itself, it just did not need an entire episode.

I'm excited to see where they go next week with Boomer. I've been wanting Boomer back on Galactica for like ever. Hopefully we don't have to endure more The O.C. shenanigans.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
yeah, BSG has jumped the shark.

it's turned into The Bold and the Battlestar.

Not to mention that time dilation shit that Anders spouted last episode.

I'll keep watching till the conclusion, it's just unfortunate that I now WANT it to end.

Walshicus

Scrow said:
yeah, BSG has jumped the shark.

it's turned into The Bold and the Battlestar.

Not to mention that time dilation shit that Anders spouted last episode.

I'll keep watching till the conclusion, it's just unfortunate that I now WANT it to end.
But that actually made sense. Although it does presumably limit the distance from Earth to Colonial space as no more than 2000ly...

Aegus

Jesus christ people. BSG is much better than it was during the last 16 episodes of season 3 and the first half of season 4.

Basically it went to shit once Pegasus blew up and is now slowly creeping towards the old quality of the season 1/season 2.

Edit: Hell you guys haven't even mentioned that the Arrow of Apollo and the Tomb of Athena haven't been explained or likely will be nor that Kobol contained no references to the the 13th tribe being Cylons. You'd think that'd be a thing that deserves a bit of a mention in the Pythian bible thingy.

ShOcKwAvE

Aegus said:
Jesus christ people. BSG is much better than it was during the last 16 episodes of season 3 and the first half of season 4.

Basically it went to shit once Pegasus blew up and is now slowly creeping towards the old quality of the season 1/season 2.

Edit: Hell you guys haven't even mentioned that the Arrow of Apollo and the Tomb of Athena haven't been explained or likely will be nor that Kobol contained no references to the the 13th tribe being Cylons. You'd think that'd be a thing that deserves a bit of a mention in the Pythian bible thingy.

This stuff is so subjective that I can't believe you're all arguing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom