• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

Nintendo has gone to Platinum and said "yo, finish Bayonetta 2 for Wii U and we'll give you some money". You don't know 1) how much money, 2) if it's entirely funding the project or if Platinum themselves can fund part of it in exchange for future rights to port it to other systems or 3) how much work had already been done on Bayonetta and thus how high the budget would be. These are all variables we can't speak on with certainty.

Have you read the tweets from Sega and platinum? Are you following the game?Its no way near done even after Nintendo came in, the assets etc are not even there yet, how far did you think development were before that?

I'm being completely realistic. If you said to me right now, bet what will happen, I'll say it'll be Nintendo exclusive because the game isn't going to be popular enough to warrant somebody investing the money to bring it to other platforms. But do I think it's impossible for it to come to other platforms, from a legal perceptive? No. And seeing as anything can happen, people getting angry at the suggestion it could maybe happen look ridiculous.
You're right. Its eventually possible. But 2016 is going to be a looooooooong wait if Mass Effect 1 is any indication lol.

why would they own something they didn't make and didn't paid others to make?
i already said thousands of time in this thread why sega doesn't own the code of the game,BECAUSE WHO OWNS THE RIGHTS OF A FRANCHISE DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY OWNS EVERYTHING MADE WITH SAID FRANCHISE

made many examples too..but i will write it again,because i'm stupid.

Do JK Rowlings,the woman who made the harry potter franchise,have power over the film Warner Bros made using his franchise?

What Nintendo owns and does not own is determined by whatever contract they have with Sega. They may own the code, they may not. TBH, I'm not even sure why it matters. Does Nintendo owning the "code" mean there is a technical roadblack for Sega to make a special edition of the game? Would it also mean that Nintendo owns the game engine used to create Bayo 2?

Regarding the movie analogy, what exactly is the film equivalent of game code and game engine?

To clarify for the people getting uptight in here, I'm not suggesting such a thing would happen, only that it is not legally impossible.

TDLink

You're right. Its eventually possible. But 2016 is going to be a looooooooong wait if Mass Effect 1 is any indication lol.

Actually the difference with Mass Effect 1 is that the company who owned the IP and developed the game was bought by another company, EA. That company has a good relationship with Microsoft and a lot of pull with them so after the entire trilogy had come and gone on the 360 they were finally able to convince Microsoft to allow a release of the original game on another system (PS3). Microsoft was okay with it because they are more into timed exclusives and the other games had appeared on the competitor already anyways. They still had to negotiate with Microsoft though.

It is highly unlikely Nintendo will ever allow such a thing to happen.

How long until people give up waiting for this to happen. End of the gen?
Though I guess some will stay bitter even longer, you still come across people that are pissed about REmake on Gamecube :lol

Penguin

Why? If people go through to 2015 thinking Bayonetta is exclusive, then it comes out on 720 and PS4, how does that harm Nintendo? It makes more sense for Nintendo to spend less by just getting a timed exclusivity.

So in your head... a game that only sold moderate while PS3 and 360 were over 100 million units.. And had it's sequel canned...

Will be a better investment for SEGA or a publisher in 2015... on their successor with a smaller userbase.. and possibly a year or two later?

And will people REALLY hold out hope for that many years to just not buy the Wii U version?

me should have funded the me2 and not let Ea shit it up. One is still the best me , the RPG elements are just tack on after one and became just another tps......

Raist

Banned
Has there ever been an example of a game published by Nintendo/Mircrosoft/Sony that appeared on "another" platform? I can't recall a case, which leads me to think there's no chance in hell that Bayo 2 would pop up on anything other than Wii U.

Yes. And we've seen weirder things happen.

Wipeout64.jpg

Have you read the tweets from Sega and platinum? Are you following the game?Its no way near done even after Nintendo came in, the assets etc are not even there yet, how far did you think development were before that?

They're working from a base of the first game. It's hardly like they're having to reinvent the wheel here.

TDLink

What Nintendo owns and does not own is determined by whatever contract they have with Sega. They may own the code, they may not. TBH, I'm not even sure why it matters. Does Nintendo owning the "code" mean there is a technical roadblack for Sega to make a special edition of the game? Would it also mean that Nintendo owns the game engine used to create Bayo 2?

Regarding the movie analogy, what exactly is the film equivalent of game code and game engine?

To clarify for the people getting uptight in here, I'm not suggesting such a thing would happen, only that it is not legally impossible.

No. Based on what we know it is legally impossible unless Nintendo says it's ok, which they would never ever do.

evangd007

You know how Goldeneye was made by Rare, published by Nintendo, and licensed by MGM? It works like that, which is why we'll never see a true Goldeneye remake. Nintendo and Rare co-own the creative property in that game: the code, the level design, the art, the music etc. Probably a similar deal to the crazy ownership deal with Silicon Knights and Eternal Darkness.

TDLink

We don't know anything. We only know what they want us to know.

Yes, I know, "anything can be lies". You can't actually operate on that logic though because then you have to apply it to everything, which is just a downright dumb attitude to have in the world. In lieu of having mind reading psychic abilities we have to go on what the parties involved tell us and what they tell us is pretty clear and straight forward.

Ridley327

Yes. And we've seen weirder things happen.

Wipeout64.jpg

I always wondered what the story was behind this; I think that Psygnosis had been owned by Sony for a few years when this came out, and it's not like that Sony wasn't pushing Wipeout decently at the time, too.

Nobody is begging for ports. People are discussing the gaming industry and the way it works.

We don't know anything. We only know what they want us to know.
No, some people are discussing the way the industry works and others are hopelessly trying to find reasons why Sega could just up and port the game without Nintendo's permission, despite the fact that theres evidence in this thread of everyone involved saying that won't happen.

Half of us are discussing the industry, the other half are grasping at straws to make their argument work with no other reasoning besides "They could be lying."

Ridley327

You know how Goldeneye was made by Rare, published by Nintendo, and licensed by MGM? It works like that, which is why we'll never see a true Goldeneye remake. Nintendo and Rare co-own the creative property in that game: the code, the level design, the art, the music etc. Probably a similar deal to the crazy ownership deal with Silicon Knights and Eternal Darkness.

Nintendo owns everything related to Eternal Darkness, including the gameplay systems. If SK wanted to do a spiritual successor to ED, they could have, but if they wanted to do an actual ED game, it had to be with Nintendo.

Majukun

yeah because nintendo is paying for something they will not own.
logical..do you often pay for the groceries and then leave them at the shop if someone wants them?

the code it's the game itself,nothing more,nothing less.
so if sega wants to a bayo 2 on ps3 and 360,they just have to cancel that code and start from scratch,with hew assets,new code,new everything.

the engine is probably platinum's one,and that belongs to platinum games

I always wondered what the story was behind this; I think that Psygnosis had been owned by Sony for a few years when this came out, and it's not like that Sony wasn't pushing Wipeout decently at the time, too.
really? If I am not wrong , Sony only own them after this game its out. Maybe them releasing the game force Sony hands lol.

zroid

Banned
I'm just wondering now, do you think Mass Effect's publishing license was sold by Microsoft to EA in 2012, or was it a timed deal which expired?

evangd007

Nintendo owns everything related to Eternal Darkness, including the gameplay systems. If SK wanted to do a spiritual successor to ED, they could have, but if they wanted to do an actual ED game, it had to be with Nintendo.

To my understanding the contra was also true: Nintendo couldn't do another ED without SK as well.

Thanks for reminding me that Psygnosis is gone forever. I never got a Colony Wars reboot :(.

No, some people are discussing the way the industry works and others are hopelessly trying to find reasons why Sega could just up and port the game without Nintendo's permission, despite the fact that theres evidence in this thread of everyone involved saying that won't happen.

Half of us are discussing the industry, the other half are grasping at straws to make their argument work with no other reasoning besides "They could be lying."

It's not grasping at straws to say games can appear to be console exclusive and then later it turns out they're not. It happens all the time. It's happened last gen, gen before, etc. In this case, I doubt it'll happen, but the way some people get do defensive over the mere suggestion in a thread based around discussing the potential of ports is ridiculous.

SmokeMaxX

There's also
- We don't know the agreement
- We don't know everything
- Nintendo's paying for a timed exclusive
- "You never know"
- "If you can't prove that my argument is impossible, you agree with me"

Ridley327

Looking back that game's release was so strange. How did it get released?

The only reasonable explanation that I can think of was that Psygnosis had SOE-levels of autonomy before being restructured into Studio Liverpool, which allowed that to happen. I just can't imagine anything else.

I see we've moved on to "You can't believe anything because anyone might be a liar."

The next step of this ever-shifting argument will hopefully be "Man, what is reality even, you don't even know."

Ridley327

they didn't even have a console in 1993,how is that possible?
and i don't remember them being a software house at that time too.

With how popular Lemmings was at the time, Sony wouldn't have needed a system to reap the benefits of a popular software title.

I mean, Sony didn't know anything about making movies, but they still bought Columbia and Tristar.

It's not grasping at straws to say games can appear to be console exclusive and then later it turns out they're not. It happens all the time. It's happened last gen, gen before, etc. In this case, I doubt it'll happen, but the way some people get do defensive over the mere suggestion in a thread based around discussing the potential of ports is ridiculous.

But we have discussed about the differents between everygame and we have see that this game is more like gear of war where the game up is bit with ms but ms fund the game.

This its like you want gears to be on ps3.

Unless this its like Ng which its not, its impossible.

But we have discussed about the differents between everygame and we have see that this game is more like gear of war where the game up is bit with ms but ms fund the game.

This its like you want gears to be on ps3.

Unless this its like Ng which its not, its impossible.

Your whole argument is based on the suggestion that you know everything about the situation. I'm unwilling to commit to such an arrogant stance, but obviously this is not a discussion that is ever going to end so I'm going to leave the thread to celebrating these two lifetime Wii U exclusive titles.

No one is saying that's not possible. And neither did I in that post. Learn to read. I said you're denying the fact that Sega needs to get the OK from Nintendo to do it.

You're essentially using the same logic religious people use when you ask them why they believe in God. You have no real evidence that this will happen, but constantly talk in "could be" and "what if"'s like it's a viable argument to the situation.

If you were really trying to argue over the fact that it is merely possible, you would have left the tread a long time ago, because everyone is saying that it's very well POSSIBLE, but that Sega would have to do a lot more then just port it over. Sega had no interest in making the title for 360/PS3 in the first place, and now they have the added roadblock of going through Nintendo to do it. Possible? Yes. Likely, or even logical considering the situation? No.

So you're either willfully ignoring peoples points, or you're illiterate. I don't know which one, but either way you don't know what you're talking about.

Your whole argument is based on the suggestion that you know everything about the situation. I'm unwilling to commit to such an arrogant stance, but obviously this is not a discussion that is ever going to end so I'm going to leave the thread to celebrating these two lifetime Wii U exclusive titles.

We are baseing these on the information we get from all three parties and past industry experience , and all points to what I said. So unless there is something that says differently......

evangd007

it's like a never-ending cycle

Are you not used to this already? There's a pattern to this:

Someone make a stupid argument.

Argument refuted.

Argument gets buried behind a couple of pages.

Somebody new comes into the thread and makes the same argument and thinks its new and clever.

People who have been involved in the thread groan in anguish.

It's more logical than you basing your argument on fringe, thousand-to-one odds situations.

SmokeMaxX

Look, first off you don't even know everything about his argument so how can you make these assumptions about what he is or is not saying?
Second, even if you DID know everything about argument, how do you know he's not lying? Everyone lies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel I should note that with Ninja Gaiden, the rights were still owned by Tecmo and Tecmo published the game in Japan.

While Sega owns the IP, I sincerely doubt they own the asset rights and they're definitely not publishing it in any region.

Maztorre

Why discuss anything on this board then? Should I go into a thread about console hardware and rebuke anyone who calls Nintendo hardware reliable for their arrogance, because every SNES ever bought might somehow combust tomorrow? That'll teach them for making reasonable assumptions!!

From the combination of FACTS and STATEMENTS we have it is reasonable to assume that Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive, and that Sega are neither equipped nor interested in doing anything further about bringing the game to other platforms. Of the remaining parties involved that leaves Platinum (not a publisher) and Nintendo (a hardware manufacturer), who among those two is going to distribute the PS360 version of Bayo2?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I see we've moved on to "You can't believe anything because anyone might be a liar."

The next step of this ever-shifting argument will hopefully be "Man, what is reality even, you don't even know."

Like you could just be a brain in a vat man, you dont know for sure!

Kamiya keeps saying ASK NINTENDO. What more do you need to see? Four pages of this is enough.

Of the remaining parties involved that leaves Platinum (not a publisher) and Nintendo (a hardware manufacturer), who among those two is going to distribute the PS360 version of Bayo2?
maybe its will be like Rocket Knight Adventures and Sony and mircosoft will fund them. It will be great , we will be getting three different bayo2.

I really hope this happens.

Top Bottom