• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

JDSN

Banned
Shame that a couple of sales of this game will be lost due the feigned ignorance and just plain denial of people saying it could hit other consoles. It has become a stealth port begging campaign worthy of fox News.

I love how the port begging is still going strong although the very developer just flat out said "nope, belongs to Nintendo".

But according to duckroll its the WiiU-owners that are pathetic ... i really think he should not have said this. If that statement was sarcasm then continue to the next sentence, as my sarcasm detector is permanently broken.

Although it has been said to death in this thread ... everyone is free to play W101 and Bayonetta 2, get a WiiU, put in the disc/dl the digital version and go have a blast.

If someone is not willing to get another console to play games he/she wants to play and that are exclusive to this certain console, well then shut the heck up and accept it.

If someone is not able to pay for an additional console, well that sucks then, but thats how it goes.

And before someone asks, i own all HD consoles, and i will own a PS4 .. not so sure about MS with that drm and used game rumor.

pants

I don't think this is worth commenting upon unless we know what SEGA's intentions are here. They own the Bayonetta IP, so I can see a situation where they can put out a sigma edition after their crafty lawyers find a loophole to whatever they contracted with Nintendo. 100% convinced SEGA would not as it would be a pretty daft mid-long term move.

I don't think this is worth commenting upon unless we know what SEGA's intentions are here. They own the Bayonetta IP, so I can see a situation where they can put out a sigma edition after their crafty lawyers find a loophole to whatever they contracted with Nintendo. 100% convinced SEGA would not as it would be a pretty daft mid-long term move.
not to mention Sega still want another Mario and sonic game.

pants

not to mention Sega still want another Mario and sonic game.

Exactly, unless Sony or MS comes in with wads of cash and long term guaranteed contracts out of sheer SPITE I cant see SEGA ruining a relationship with Nintendo that makes them steady bank mid-long term.

Sega Lawyers vs Nintendo Ninjas I'd pay to see that.

Penguin

What's the UP side for anyone involved in this?

SEGA already released the first to less than stellar sales
It really wouldn't make much of a difference to MS or Sony's line-up

It only works for Nintendo in this case because it's a genre they don't typically make so fills a void/niche they don't cover.

params7

Banned
I had no clue Bayonetta 1 did so bad it was hard to fund the sequel. I'm still hoping it gets 'sigma'd to ps4 or vita or something.

pants

Exactly zero, which is why i dont see it.

The only reason to do this is I can see is spite, or if MS/Sony thinks Bayonetta on one of their consoles will significantly boost their mindshare/deal Nintendo some kind of crushing blow. Both things I cant see.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Bayonetta fans don't have to buy a Wii-U

because that's how they(the people that think the ports have any chance of happening at this point in time) believe the world works I guess. Completely subservient to their individual needs

Maztorre

I had no clue Bayonetta 1 did so bad it was hard to fund the sequel. I'm still hoping it gets 'sigma'd to ps4 or vita or something.

It isn't that it did badly, it's Platinum's best-selling game. It's that Sega no longer funds these types of retail games where there is a substantial level of risk that it could underperform. The game was obviously being developed for 360 and PS3 and it would have completely bombed in the current console market. Since their restructure last year Sega only makes a handful of its own core games for retail distribution, so shopping it around was their only choice if Platinum/Sega wanted to keep what they had funded so far. Clearly Nintendo was interested where others weren't.

beast786

Easy answer: Sega can port the game to other platform If Sega recode every line of codes that are funded by Nintendo aka almost or just everything.

so its totally possible so continue to hope on, strongly against buying game you want on Nintendo console guys.

Do you think Bayonetta 2 code was made from ground up or is enhanced version of bayonetta code?

Because the game engine of original bayonetta was funded by sega.

from a business point of view this is no different than mass effect. At least from information that is provided.

And I own wii u and will pick this up om wii u. So please discussion not throw crap around

omonimo

Banned
Do you think Bayonetta 2 code was made from ground up or is enhanced version of bayonetta code?

Because the game engine of original bayonetta was funded by sega.

from a business point of view this is no different than mass effect. At least from information that is provided.

And I own wii u and will pick this up om wii u. So please discussion not throw crap around

Out of my curiosity, what else we have to discuss in this thread at this point?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know why anyone would think differently. They are also both going to sell like absolute shit.

I don't think this collaboration is entirely sales motivated though, so I don't see the point in saying this.

I mean of course the goal in the end is to sell copies, but I mean this whole partnership just reminds me of something like Sin and Punishment 2. A sequel to a game with no proven track record that Nintendo funded and published because they seemed to believe in the title and the developer. The game bombed at retail like everyone on the planet expected, but it was also a high quality product that seemed to be extremely well regarded among the few that bought it.

That's exactly how I see Bayonetta 2 as well. Nintendo producing a title they strongly believe in the quality of in spite of market interests and sales potential. Sega facilitating this partnership because even though they decided releasing the game didn't align with their company's current interests, they still wanted to assist Platinum in getting the project completed in any other way.

As fan and as a consumer I find it extremely comforting and refreshing to think that somewhere, on some level the industry really works like that. Where good games get made because the people behind them are really passionate about the project, on the creative and management levels, and are not produced purely based on factors such as sales potential or marketability.

So comments like this really bother me. Even moreso than the port begging comments. That the gut response to something as amazing and unlikely as this happening in the industry is to dismiss it as "won't sell who cares".

Kinda off topic but I felt like ranting a bit. = /

I dont know why anyone would think differently. They are also both going to sell like absolute shit.

Since when did PlatinumGames really care about sales? They care about making high quality games, and they know as long as they continue to do that, they will have a fanbase that will buy their games.

Kouriozan

Since when did PlatinumGames really care about sales? They care about making high quality games, and they know as long as they continue to do that, they will have a fanbase that will buy their games.

Same for Nintendo, they release game knowing it'll bomb like Fatal Frame 2 Remake in Europe.

Porcile

Nintendo doesn't just produce guaranteed money makers. They release a lot of high-quality games, with lower budgets, which supplements their library and offers a nice balance to their higher profile titles. See Sin and Punishment 2, Punch-Out Wii, Excitebots, Last Story etc They are one of the few game companies which knows how to make high quality games across a spectrum of budgets and audiences.

Same for Nintendo, they release game knowing it'll bomb like Fatal Frame 2 Remake in Europe.
This cooperation is about reputation along the core gamers, that's why it's even more unlikely this will get ported. Also that glimpse of the game we've seen looked much different engine wise from everything made so far from platinum. Same for tw101. Bayo2 looked almost like Project X.

Terrell

You're gonna be hoping until the end of days, man.

If it was gonna be on a Sony or MS device,, it would have already been there.

Genuinely curious why Nintendo chose to fund these anyhow. Platinum games are never cash cows or anything.

I was going to get in to this whole thing about how Nintendo published games like Ouendan and the Sin & Punishments and even made sequels and different versions for localizations but then I just got sad that no one is willing to acknowledge (much less buy) these games.

Sigh.

pants

It's kind of sad that Nintendo wont produce another F-Zero because some senile old man thinks we dont want it (yet are willing to produce things that will sell less)

Satch

Banned
Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 to send a message to the core.

We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if PS3/360 owners grabbed this game when it mattered most the first time around.

Console wars are the worst thing.

TDLink

It's kind of sad that Nintendo wont produce another F-Zero because some senile old man thinks we dont want it (yet are willing to produce things that will sell less)

This isn't actually true and is just an urban myth. F-Zero will come back eventually.

Terrell

Genuinely curious why Nintendo chose to fund these anyhow. Platinum games are never cash cows or anything.

Aside from the reasons already mentioned, Platinum probably agreed to it because Nintendo-published games have more retail exposure and (potentially) wider marketing muscle than what Sega was obviously willing to offer them. Greater exposure can often lead to greater sales numbers.

Why are there people in here that refuses to believe that these games will absolutely stay on the Wii U?

They aren't in the 5th stage of grief yet, obviously.

I was going to get in to this whole thing about how Nintendo published games like Ouendan and the Sin & Punishments and even made sequels and different versions for localizations but then I just got sad that no one is willing to acknowledge (much less buy) these games.

Sigh.

Yeah, S&P2 was amazing, I don't care what anyone says. I hope that Nintendo keeps that going with Treasure, it's a great series.

pants

Nagoshi's not that old.

T3u0kxI.jpg

This isn't actually true and is just an urban myth. F-Zero will come back eventually.
Hopefully in this gen, since Fzero and HD is a match made in heaven.

Maztorre

You're absolutely right, the resources used to make a new F-Zero are exactly the same as the resources to fund the remainder of development of Bayonetta 2. Clearly Miyamoto is playing favourites since he is longtime fan of adult-oriented hardcore character action games.

Maybe we'll see F-Zero U after he brings Devil May Cry to WiiU exclusively and has Nagoshi and the remains of Amusement Vision make it for him, the greedy game-stealing bastard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 to send a message to the core.

We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if PS3/360 owners grabbed this game when it mattered most the first time around.

Console wars are the worst thing.

The worst thing about this logic is that it still perpetuates this "them" and "us" attitude that makes the refusal to buy a platform to play its games so juvenile.

It's ridiculous to blame the platform change on consumers. Even moreso a specific group of consumers for not being able to purchase something in hindsight.

It's kind of sad that, as a result of this, they seem to have developed as much of a reputation for saving a fan-favourite game as "stealing" it. I guess it depends on whom you ask.

The console wars are truly rabid.
I respect Nintendo for doing this. But yeah, pretty sad people hating on Nintendo for saving it. You still could just rent a Wii U and play it.

pants

You're absolutely right, the resources used to make a new F-Zero are exactly the same as the resources to fund the remainder of development of Bayonetta 2. Clearly Miyamoto is playing favourites since he is longtime fan of adult-oriented hardcore character action games.

Maybe we'll see F-Zero U after he brings Devil May Cry to WiiU exclusively and has Nagoshi and the remains of Amusement Vision make it for him, the greedy game-stealing bastard.
I hope you arent serious because if you are then damn.

Top Bottom