• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Raxus

mmmmm... secret bosses, alternate costumes, hidden weapons, an arena mode. Everything I could want in an action game and more.

Raxus said:
mmmmm... secret bosses, alternate costumes, hidden weapons, an arena mode. Everything I could want in an action game and more.
There's also old school button-input cheat codes. Like Up, Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B.

I don't get the fapfest over this unintelligible mess. Not only the laudatory reviews, but all of you creaming yourselves over how great Bayonetta is.

The story is nonsense, and while twenty minute cutscenes may work for Metal Gear, this stereotypical nonsense is just ridiculous. Is that little obnoxious Italian guy supposed to be Joe Pesci?

And the gameplay? Sweet Colt .45 carrying Christ. It feels just like every other Devil May Cry before it. Played the fuck out.

Maybe the lead character does something for some of you, but why does she have a giant body, and such a tiny head? How in the hell is that attractive?

Game of the Year? It's not even the Game of the Month, as far as I'm concerned. I don't get any of it. And I really wanted to, as I've heard the comparisons and I love God of War. I know Kratos, I've admired Kratos' work...this chick is no Kratos.

Raxus

pixel monkey said:
I don't get the fapfest over this unintelligible mess. Not only the laudatory reviews, but all of you creaming yourselves over how great Bayonetta is.

The story is nonsense, and while twenty minute cutscenes may work for Metal Gear, this stereotypical nonsense is just ridiculous. Is that little obnoxious Italian guy supposed to be Joe Pesci?

And the gameplay? Sweet Colt .45 carrying Christ. It feels just like every other Devil May Cry before it. Played the fuck out.

Maybe the lead character does something for some of you, but why does she have a giant body, and such a tiny head? How in the hell is that attractive?

Game of the Year? It's not even the Game of the Month, as far as I'm concerned. I don't get any of it. And I really wanted to, as I've heard the comparisons and I love God of War. I know Kratos, I've admired Kratos' work...this chick is no Kratos.
1/10

Dahbomb

pixel monkey said:

Did you play the entire game? This game does quite a things more than DMC even if the core seems similar to DMC.

I don't know but I was always of the mindset that people who were hyping up Bayonetta were mostly DMC fans or just fans of the action genre in general. I don't think anyone said this was a spiritual successor to God of War though there are some similarities (large scale boss fights and QTEs).

I personally don't feel anything for Bayonetta's character, cutscenes or story, it's all about the game play for me. I am willing to look past some stereotypes and oddities here and there to relish the depth in the game's combat.

Dabookerman said:
You're right. It's really a shit game. Everyone who has the game, and every reviewer is just lying. Don't believe them everyone!

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I just don't get it.

I. Don't. Get. It. Me, personally. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but this is an opinion board, is it not?

I must have missed the bit in the official thread title that it was only for RAVES on Bayonetta. My mistake.

Raxus

pixel monkey said:

I. Don't. Get. It. Me, personally. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but this is an opinion board, is it not?

I must have missed the bit in the official thread title that it was only for RAVES on Bayonetta. My mistake.
No, keep going I wanna see how this ends. I see only good things.

I am surprised you rip this game for being too much like DMC and can still compliment GoW with a straight face.

pixel monkey said:

I feel you. I played the demo and thought the gameplay was ok but the character design and story are such typical japanese action game bullshit.

Dahbomb said:
Did you play the entire game? This game does quite a things more than DMC even if the core seems similar to DMC.

I put probably a bit over four hours in, thinking that It would grow on me. It didn't. It just grated on my nerves more and more the more I played.

It really felt like DMC but with a less cohesive, more offensive narrative. And that's really saying something. :lol

pixel monkey said:

Is everyone who (coherently) posts in this thread supposed to sell you on it? Genuine question there.

It's an evolution of the formula laid down by Kamiya's own Devil May Cry, and, as far as I can say, it's really only bound to attract fans of similar games. Sure, there are the God of War influences, but it's all about the focused combat. The trick to finding the depth is being familiar with other finely tuned action games like older Ninja Gaiden and DMC games.

I'll
try to
leave it at that. Anything I'd have to add, Dahbomb can most certainly state better than I can. o_O

pixel monkey said:

Offend me :lol Nah. I don't really care if people's opinions are different than mine. I don't make such a huge deal about it like some. All I'm saying is that pretty much everyone who has actually played the game .. the WHOLE game has been raving about it.

I'd personally give it a chance, but meh, your choice.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I feel you. I played the demo and thought the gameplay was ok but the character design and story are such typical japanese action game bullshit.

I was beginning to think I was the only one.

GreyMatter said:
Is everyone who (coherently) posts in this thread supposed to sell you on it? Genuine question there.

No, I'm not looking to be sold. To each his own. I feel like I gave the game a more than fair shot in a bit of a dry spell for new releases before Mass Effect 2 drops.

Store credit for Bioware's next it is.

Atrus said:
People with poor taste are rarely alone.

Nor are those who unnecessarily hurl personal insults, apparently.

How does my opinion of your precious title affect your enjoyment of said release there, champ?

Tokubetsu

GuiltybyAssociation said:
This is fantastic. The La Roux remix fits perfectly.

Before anyone asks, I'm fairly certain thats the "Skream's Let Get Ravey Remix." I like it better than the original but I'm a fan of dubstep :lol

pixel monkey said:
I don't get the fapfest over this unintelligible mess.

I noticed. Let's put it like this. Bayonetta is the love letter to the stylistic action game. Everything you love about the genre is right there and done in a way that makes you take notice of it. Bayoneta's sex appeal and the comedy just add to the game and doesn't make it in anyway. Bayonetta is an experience and until you've experienced that then you won't really understand why this game is being praised the way it is.

pixel monkey said:
I love God of War. I know Kratos, I've admired Kratos' work...this chick is no Kratos.

Of course she isn't. If Bayonetta was anything like Kratos then the game would lose it's appeal and the same for Dante as well. I understand it's really hard to judge the game on its own merits but Bayonetta is something all its own and that has been shown with all the love and praise the game is getting.

In the end I'll admit that some of the formula is DMC + VJ + XXX = BAYONETTA but it's that part of the formula that works. Thanks a bunch Kamiya.

gillFTR

pixel monkey said:

I just beat the god of war collection for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I've only played the demo both 360/PS3 for bayonetta. I think I'm going into this game just for the action...I'm not really expecting a great story or a character that relates in anyway. Then again I've never really got the appeal of being a female character in any game(not that I'm sexist) probably why I am not hyped for FF13. I will be going into this game with just a gameplay/combat perspective.

ZeMMiK

pixel monkey said:

F%## the story, I just want to kick/shoot big monsters and want to do awesome moves in beautiful colours, no space marines or worldwar2, with a Japanese sauce. I think Bayonetta will bring me that. But I respect your opinion too.

For those who can enjoy it based solely on the gameplay, congratulations. That's good to hear.

For me, living in the post-Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, and (within the exact same genre) God of War world, action games can and have become so much more.

Story and characters weigh heavy on my purchase decisions, but I suppose that if you view Bayonetta through a nostalgic action lens, it could be a decent enough time on that level.

NIN90

Guys, it's Pixel Monkey. He likes to hammer his negative opinion into official threads and the goes full on "OH BUT ITS MY OPINION"

Raxus

pixel monkey said:
For those who can enjoy it based solely on the gameplay, congratulations. That's good to hear.

For me, living in the post-Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, and (within the exact same genre) God of War world, action games can and have become so much more.

Story and characters weigh heavy on my purchase decisions, but I suppose that if you view Bayonetta through a nostalgic action lens, it could be a decent enough time on that level.
The problem is, like god of war. While the story may excel (particularly in 1, 2 was not that great) The story can only enhance the game so much. Gameplay has always been the heart for me and that is why action fans hate god of war. It has a very bare bones system and absolutely no good weapons besides the default you get. It is a very shallow game gameplay wise. My opinion of course.

Then there is uncharted which really is nothing new so I played through it once, got tired and never played it again. Sure it is polished as hell and has a decent story but I got tired of playing gears of war with Assassin's creed etc. etc etc.

All in all, if I want a good story to enthrall and entertain me I will read a book. I play games first and foremost for the gameplay because, lets face it, most of the plots are cliched messes, nonsensical, stupid, or just plain.

NIN90 said:
Guys, it's Pixel Monkey. He likes to hammer his negative opinion into official threads and the goes full on "OH BUT ITS MY OPINION"

Okay. What did I just say?

pixel monkey said:
if you view Bayonetta through a nostalgic action lens, it could be a decent enough time on that level.

That's hammering my "negative opinion" into the thread?

EDIT: You do realize, NIN, that I bought the game with all hopes and dreams of enjoying the experience, right?

gillFTR

ZeMMiK said:
F%## the story, I just want to kick/shoot big monsters and want to do awesome moves in beautiful colours, no space marines or worldwar2, with a Japanese sauce. I think Bayonetta will bring me that. But I respect your opinion too.
What he said.

ShogunX

pixel monkey said:

I though Uncharted 2 had a B-movie story at best but each to their own I guess.

Comparing combat from Uncharted, Batman and even God of War to a Kamiya developed sequel to Devil May Cry is absolutely hilarious :lol Bayonetta sets the standard for action combat. Of course it doesn't make for the worlds most engrossing interactive story, this is Kamiya's fantasy world thrust in your face at 200mph as you scream around the screen dodging attacks and racking up insane combination moves.

Bayonetta immediately felt more fresh from the demo than DMC3&4 with all the new mechanics it brings with it. If you didn't like it, you don't like japanese frantic action games. Okay for you, stick to the paler western stuff voiced by Nolan North.

pixel monkey said:

Okay, okay wait....

You bought a Kamiya game.... for the story. Hideki Kamiya....

Wow.

Lyonaz

Finally finished the game today after neglecting it for more than a month.

All I can say is FUCK YEAH BAYONETTA!

This game has awesome Boss battles. I started at chapter 10 and played till the end with just a big smile on my smile face. :D

-edit- Smile on my face damnit :p

Door2Dawn

Banned
pixel monkey said:

EDIT: You do realize, NIN, that I bought the game with all hopes and dreams of enjoying the experience, right?
Can I have your game then? :/

Atrus

Gold Member
pixel monkey said:
Nor are those who unnecessarily hurl personal insults, apparently.

How does my opinion of your precious title affect your enjoyment of said release there, champ?

It's not my precious title and if you'll note I've barely talked about Bayonetta on this or any other forum except for my brief demo impressions.

I'm just noting with an offhand comment that your 'opinion' is simplistic and lacks value. What does anyone have to take from your analysis?

Bayonetta has poor story? It has fancy Japanocentric influences?

How does this affect gamplay? How on Earth can God of War be used as the comparative in story-telling?

Have you ever considered that the game was intentionally over the top? That based on the games mechanics it emphasizes speed and style? Two things diametrically opposite of God of War? You then further dig yourself in deeper by qualifying your position with DMC hate, another game of the same style.

Are we to be surprised that you don't like this game? Does it matter that we know you don't like it? Was DMC3 not one of the best games in the genre despite your dislike? No.

The reason I responded was because you made a challenge instead of sucking up the fact it's not your type of game and shutting up. If your arguments were detailed as someone who purchased and finished the game would be, then it obviously has value, and you're owed your complaints.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Given how wonderful the combat and gameplay is I can live with :

The ridiculous story
Appaling characterdesign ( imo fyi)

But why on earth did they insist on using such a wierd choice of music genre? :S Its going to be wierd to play it without sound...guess I'll copy crawling in my skin a hundred times on a usbstick and listen to that instead._.

Fimbulvetr said:
Okay, okay wait....

You bought a Kamiya game.... for the story. Hideki Kamiya....

Wow.

I didn't buy the game solely for the story, but is it too much to ask to have interesting characters and some sense of an intelligible plot?

Apparently, yes. Yes it is.

NIN90

pixel monkey said:

You really bought the game in the hopes for a great story?

Raxus

Corky said:
Given how wonderful the combat and gameplay is I can live with :

The ridiculous story
Appaling characterdesign ( imo fyi)
While I kind of on the fence on Bayonetta's character I just wanted to point out that in RE people would actually go through and play as Tofu. If are willing to play through a game as a bean byproduct then you know you had fun.

Raxus said:
I am surprised you rip this game for being too much like DMC and can still compliment GoW with a straight face.
I think this will keep me coming back for more than any GoW game. The gameplay is delicious.

Atrus said:
It's not my precious title and if you'll note I've barely talked about Bayonetta on this or any other forum except for my brief demo impressions.

For someone who cares so little for Bayonetta, you certainly seem to be experiencing an inordinate amount of ass-chaffing over my distaste for the title.

Move along, sparky.

Door2Dawn said:
Can I have your game then? :/

Why don't I just send you $60? Hmmm? Maybe I can buy you a X360 to play it on, too? :lol

As I noted earlier, Bayonetta is heading back for Mass Effect 2 store credit.

danmaku

Shogun PaiN said:
I though Uncharted 2 had a B-movie story at best but each to their own I guess.

I'd say 99% of videogames have B-movie (or worst) stories. And LOL @ GoW as an example of good storytelling. GoW story is pure bullshit, and the fact that takes itself so seriously, like I really had to feel sorry for Kratos and his most excellent and lamentable tragedy, just makes it more stupid.

Top Bottom