• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

NIN90

Is there any way to restart the current verses? I'm thinking about an all-platinum run but that would be a pain in the rear if there is no such option.

Volcynika

NIN90 said:
Is there any way to restart the current verses? I'm thinking about an all-platinum run but that would be a pain in the rear if there is no such option.

No, you'd have to restart the entire level.

NIN90 said:
There ARE other ways to unlock Jeanne you know.

NIN90

.:Wesker:. said:
There ARE other ways to unlock Jeanne you know.

I actually want to do it for the sake of it but that's good to know anyway. :lol
Does Jeanne play different or is she pretty much just a new skin?

TreIII

NIN90 said:
I actually want to do it for the sake of it but that's good to know anyway. :lol
Does Jeanne play different or is she pretty much just a new skin?

She does play pretty differently...
in "Mario -> Luigi" sort of way. :D

Basically, in order to get Witch Time with her, you have to be able to get good with using "Bat Within" (which she starts out automatically with). While she gets infinite flips (compared to Bayo's 3 before she stops), you won't get Witch Time any other way.

On the other hand, she gets a nice combo bonus, and in the opinions of most, better costumes. Plus, in my experience, her infinite flips allow for more versatility, as she can cancel out of combo and KEEP GOING until she gets to a safe place.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hellion said:
I don't get is Bayonetta a TRAP?!

Well, I don't know about that, but however she does it, she emasculates Dante.

Dahbomb

Tokubetsu said:
2lo2i6x.jpg
Hilarious! Especially the fact that the bed that they just "did" it on was made from Bayonetta's hair.

pixel monkey said:
The fact that the original God of War elevated the genre to another level certainly helps set Kratos apart from his competition as well.

It's the music, the mood, the mythology, the supremely tight gameplay, and yes, the character of Kratos that elevates him to godlike (pun intended) levels.

Bayonetta didn't have any of this for me, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
God of War only gets credit for making the genre more approachable and more "epic", not pushing it to "godly" levels. The game play in God of War is anything from being "supremely tight", it is in fact loose, disjointed and buggy relying a lot on QTE finishers than proper free-form combat. It is a big budgeted action adventure experience and a visual/audio feast but it lacks the core/meat of a true action game and that is the combat.

Mood? Nothing really that different from most other action games out there. The tone is set to violence, you are in thrusted into a world of blood and you want more of it. You fight enemies, you fight bosses, you solve some puzzles... all set to some "epic" music so that it makes you feel that what you are doing is slightly more epic than what you are doing in other games (even though its pretty much the same).

Mythology? Original creature concepts and story is more interesting to be honest though I give credit to God of War for doing it right. A lot of other games have done Greek Myth way wrong. But still I don't know if this should be a plus for GoW. It's set in a setting that was thought up years ago unlike with something like Bayonetta which is thought up from scratch. There is some credit to be given here for originality.

Character of Kratos? Stock Western action game hero out for revenge. Even Dante is more compelling than Kratos. What tragedy happened to Kratos he carries it on the outside and lets it loose like "LOOK AT ME I AM ANGRY BECAUSE OF WHAT THE GODS HAVE DONE TO ME!!!!!11" Dante is out for revenge as well but he doesn't wave around the flag of vengeance. He keeps it to himself and hides it in a cocky exterior. There is no subtlety to Kratos' character, no real depth and no originality. Anti-heroes have been around since forever... even in video games.

Again, this is all my opinion. I don't mean to disrespect God of War, I think it's a great series but using it as a template as to why Bayonetta sucks is moronic. They have different appeals, different mindset and different core combat structure. They might be in the same genre but they are about as similar as Modern Warfare is to Bioshock... both being in the FPS department. You may prefer the God of War approach to action but I prefer the DMC/Bayonetta approach and so do those people who think highly of Bayonetta.

If you don't "get it", then you don't get it. It's as simple as that, no post on NeoGaf is going to change your opinion. If you want a more detailed explanation as to why I love Bayonetta I would gladly give it but I don't think you are actually interested in that. Most people who don't actually like a particular game just return it and don't ever talk about it again rather than complaining on the internet and getting fans of the game riled up. You aren't going to see me in a Dynasty Warriors thread telling the people of that thread that "I don't get why people still play this series, I tried to play it but it sucks".

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Why the hell would you put the word "did" in quotations?
"Did it" was a euphemism for "they just fucked each other". It is usually courteous to place such euphemisms in quotations to emphasize. I know just about everyone here know that in the context "did it" can only mean one thing but this is just a habit of mine. :D

andymcc

Banned
finally home from my adventure to target, which only netted me frustration and left me without the game. they had the game on the shelf and were selling it, ps3 and 360 both. i actually called the store beforehand and they were HOLDING a copy for me under my name and knew i came from way out of town, and still refused sale.

:lol i mean, i understand the game is street dated, but... i drove a fucking long way! and in a snow storm!!... i'm going to go into a rant about how anti-consumer street dating is, so i'll stop here.

mjc

andymcc said:
finally home from my adventure to target, which only netted me frustration and left me without the game. they had the game on the shelf and were selling it, ps3 and 360 both. i actually called the store beforehand and they were HOLDING a copy for me under my name and knew i came from way out of town, and still refused sale.

:lol i mean, i understand the game is street dated, but... i drove a fucking long way! and in a snow storm!!... i'm going to go into a rant about how anti-consumer street dating is, so i'll stop here.

Yeah I'm with you on the street date thing and its not just in regards to this game. Like you said though, that's an argument for a different thread.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb said:
"Did it" was a euphemism for "they just fucked each other". It is usually courteous to place such euphemisms in quotations to emphasize. I know just about everyone here know that in the context "did it" can only mean one thing but this is just a habit of mine. :D

I was just being a dick. You only put the quotes around "did" instead of "it", which is amusingly backwards if you think about it.

Anyone in Houston pick up this game early yet? I tried picking it up from a Target that had it out on the shelves, but was denied. Then they proceeded to remove it from the shelves :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ITT: Pixel Monkey finds he knows nothing about how action games work.

Captain N

I tried to get this bad boy at Target and couldn't leave the store with it either. I'll be there on day one. The demo sold me completely.

Zertez

RapidCancel said:
Anyone in Houston pick up this game early yet? I tried picking it up from a Target that had it out on the shelves, but was denied. Then they proceeded to remove it from the shelves :lol
Ive checked quite a few Best Buys and Target in Houston and surrounding areas, no luck yet.

Dina

Agreed with most of the gaffers here, but the game's humour, story and characters (except the Angels, which are very well done, unlike the demons) do nothing for me. It's actually embarrassing at times, coming both from Bayonetta and Rodin.

Nemesis_

Dahbomb said:
God of War only gets credit for making the genre more approachable and more "epic", not pushing it to "godly" levels. The game play in God of War is anything from being "supremely tight", it is in fact loose, disjointed and buggy relying a lot on QTE finishers than proper free-form combat. It is a big budgeted action adventure experience and a visual/audio feast but it lacks the core/meat of a true action game and that is the combat.

Mood? Nothing really that different from most other action games out there. The tone is set to violence, you are in thrusted into a world of blood and you want more of it. You fight enemies, you fight bosses, you solve some puzzles... all set to some "epic" music so that it makes you feel that what you are doing is slightly more epic than what you are doing in other games (even though its pretty much the same).

Mythology? Original creature concepts and story is more interesting to be honest though I give credit to God of War for doing it right. A lot of other games have done Greek Myth way wrong. But still I don't know if this should be a plus for GoW. It's set in a setting that was thought up years ago unlike with something like Bayonetta which is thought up from scratch. There is some credit to be given here for originality.

Character of Kratos? Stock Western action game hero out for revenge. Even Dante is more compelling than Kratos. What tragedy happened to Kratos he carries it on the outside and lets it loose like "LOOK AT ME I AM ANGRY BECAUSE OF WHAT THE GODS HAVE DONE TO ME!!!!!11" Dante is out for revenge as well but he doesn't wave around the flag of vengeance. He keeps it to himself and hides it in a cocky exterior. There is no subtlety to Kratos' character, no real depth and no originality. Anti-heroes have been around since forever... even in video games.

Again, this is all my opinion. I don't mean to disrespect God of War, I think it's a great series but using it as a template as to why Bayonetta sucks is moronic. They have different appeals, different mindset and different core combat structure. They might be in the same genre but they are about as similar as Modern Warfare is to Bioshock... both being in the FPS department. You may prefer the God of War approach to action but I prefer the DMC/Bayonetta approach and so do those people who think highly of Bayonetta.

If you don't "get it", then you don't get it. It's as simple as that, no post on NeoGaf is going to change your opinion. If you want a more detailed explanation as to why I love Bayonetta I would gladly give it but I don't think you are actually interested in that. Most people who don't actually like a particular game just return it and don't ever talk about it again rather than complaining on the internet and getting fans of the game riled up. You aren't going to see me in a Dynasty Warriors thread telling the people of that thread that "I don't get why people still play this series, I tried to play it but it sucks".

Dahbomb does it again! :lol

Apparently this will be hitting stores in Australia extremely soon. I am praying for a street date break so I can get my hands on the UNLIMITED CLIMAX edition. :D

Miburou

I've rarely anticipated a game like I'm anticipating this one. I must've played the two demos a combined 20 times, and it was still fun every time. What gets me is that I usually import a lot of PS3 games, but I wanted this on 360, and it's not region-free (btw, is the EU copy playable on an NA machine?). Even worse is that the game is being sold in some places right now, and that it was ready but Sega delayed it for fear of being overlooked.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
Dahbomb does it again! :lol

Apparently this will be hitting stores in Australia extremely soon. I am praying for a street date break so I can get my hands on the UNLIMITED CLIMAX edition. :D

oh god oh god

Naeblish

I played till chapter IX so far, and i don't get why this game is getting so much love. First off, i like putting time in these type of games (dmc 3 & 4, ninja gaiden black, ng2) to get better, but not as hardcore as most here and i never become truly good at them.

The combat is obviously deep and awesome, but what makes it so special from the before mentioned games? That it goes so deep only the truly hardcore can see that difference? It feels great when a section goes flawless, but i never feel that i'm 100% in control, it goes so fast and messy it's hard to pull off constant combo chains.

Aside from the combat, everything is terrible. The story is so weakly explained i started skipping cutscenes. Bayonetta's character is utterly uninteresting. I find the bosses to be plain boring, i had much more fun doing those of dmc4 (the first time at least), although i really like most of the normal enemy designs.
But i have the most issue's with the level design. To be honest, in these type of games i just want some solid ground under my feet so i can practice combo's on my enemies and kick their ass. There are so many levels where a lot of shit is going on around you, lava, falling ground, driving vehicles, gravity rotation, that it makes it hard to enjoy and focus on the strong point of the game, combat. A shame because i really liked the demo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Naeblish said:
The combat is obviously deep and awesome, but what makes it so special from the before mentioned games? That it goes so deep only the truly hardcore can see that difference? It feels great when a section goes flawless, but i never feel that i'm 100% in control, it goes so fast and messy it's hard to pull off constant combo chains.
I dunno, with Bayonetta I feel like it's always my fault if I'm doing poorly precisely because you have so much control. The ability to dodge at literally any time means it always comes down on you to not get hit. The only time this can become a little unfair is if the game's camera is messing with your perception on specific levels that are supposed to be cinematic.

Unlike some other games you can also dodge every single attack as long as you time it right. A number of other similar action games rely on blocks instead of dodges and the block can be really unreliable against bigger enemies. You always have your dodge in Bayonetta.

klee123

I really have no complaints in the gameplay department other than the sudden QTEs which a mistake can cause you to lower your score. I feel that they're a bit cheap to be honest, but the fact that you can redo the stage as many times as you like kinda remedies it.

dream

GreyMatter said:
It's an evolution of the formula laid down by Kamiya's own Devil May Cry, and, as far as I can say, it's really only bound to attract fans of similar games.

I don't know about that. I hate Devil May Cry (the entire series). I don't like Ninja Gaiden. I like God of War.

I love Bayonetta. Something about the combat just clicks so much more with me than any other action game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the right trigger dodge, and the fact that you can use it at virtually any time midway through an attack, makes the whole experience of playing the same so much nicer. that, coupled with the awesome reward of pulling-off an awesome dodge that is witch-time, adds so much to the combat.

of course, the combat system itself is ace, but that one facet of it is the most obvious improvement to me, as someone who plays games like this on a -- for lack of a better phrase -- pseudo-hardcore level (I don't just mash buttons, I usually become pretty damn good, but I rarely have to patience to totally master a combat system).

I need to pre-order Bayonetta. Pissed that the TRU deal I did a while ago got canceled. Any other deals going on for it? If not I'll just grab it off Amazon.

diss

Banned
This game still has 1 handed uber easy mode right? I'm horrible at action games and I don't like playing them. I do however enjoy watching other people play them so this seems like the best thing ever!

diss said:
This game still has 1 handed uber easy mode right? I'm horrible at action games and I don't like playing them. I do however enjoy watching other people play them so this seems like the best thing ever!
Easy and Very Easy (designed for women and children respectively).

danmaku said:
Really? how?

Also, do you get any unlockables for completing every chapter with a silver/gold prize?
Up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down, left, right, left, right, B (or O) at one of the telephones in chapter 2 after verse 3. It will cost you a million halos though.

danmaku

.:Wesker:. said:
Up, up, up, up, down, down, down, down, left, right, left, right, B (or O) at one of the telephones in chapter 2 after verse 3. It will cost you a million halos though.

a million halos? :lol maybe on my third playthrough I could afford that :lol now I'm too busy unlocking costumes (I always buy costumes instead of items, even if they're totally useless gameplay-wise).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Greatest little thing: putting the fire claws on your feet allows you to walk on lava.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
LTTP! Did Bestbuy, or other stores, break the street release date for Bayonetta?

Vilix said:
LTTP! Did Bestbuy, or other stores, break the street release date for Bayonetta?

word is that a few (emphasis FEW) Targets and k-marts broke it, the only photographic evidence came from a Philly location. No other news yet.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jack Random said:
word is that a few (emphasis FEW) Targets and k-marts broke it, the only photographic evidence came from a Philly location. No other news yet.

I picked up mine at best buy on Saturday.

I wanted to get this for PS3 but it looks like the 360 version is the way to go...

Question about the 360 version, though: is the game dependent on being a Live Gold member as opposed to a Silver member (such as access to unlockables, extras, etc.)? That could be the breaking point for me if so, unfortunately.

abq

The game has leaderboards, which silver members generally have access to if I'm not mistaken. So nothing should be locked to gold members only.

Zezboob

Dance In My Blood said:
Greatest little thing: putting the fire claws on your feet allows you to walk on lava.
Thank you for confirming that, I am just playing chapter 3 again and I had this feeling. :D

Bauer91

Finished this today. I can't say I enjoyed the story and the humour that much, but I did have A LOT of fun playing it, the gameplay is awesome. It's my GOTY.

Top Bottom