• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BigFwoosh said:
Some of my favorites, depending on my mood:
Magic Hat #9
magichat.jpg

I totally forgot to mention Magic Hat #9 but I love the stuff. It's so smooth and drinkable but it still retains a little bit of the hoppiness that I love in a real Pale Ale.

WorriedCitizen said:
And i thought barbarians were a thing of the past.

Never drink straight from the can or the bottle. Always pour.

Cans:

1) Prevent light damage (skunking)
2) Chill faster
3) Are more environmentally friendly
4) can be taken places such as campgrounds that don't allow glass.

Bottles:

1) Do what exactly that is better?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Nice Thread!

Just went to the Great American Beer festival this weekend here in Denver. So many good beers there that I cant even remember the names of all of them! :lol

They did have an interesting kind of beer there though, Chile beer. It tastes just like eating a chile pepper but carbonated. Really Weird stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A little off topic, but I recently saw some Mead at a local natural foods store and I'm interested to try it. What should I expect? Is it gonna be gross?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Snuggler said:
A little off topic, but I recently saw some Mead at a local natural foods store and I'm interested to try it. What should I expect? Is it gonna be gross?

I have tried some organic beers, they werent that bad but i wouldnt buy a 6 pack of em IMO.

gcubed

Best beer...

2010-04-25%2018.30.07.jpg

served from...

P1000043.JPG

That has about 4 more taps on it right now. I also hoard all the Pliny i can get, but its hard on the east coast to get, i think i finally found a supplier through work

Neckbeard

HappyBivouac said:
All beer would be better from a can than from a bottle.

The glass bottle is a marketing thing because people think it's classy and cool.

In response:
Jim Koch, president of Boston Beer Co., the maker of Samuel Adams stated that canned beer imparted a metallic taste. He goes on to say that though the coating (expoxy resin) applied on the inner side of the can prevents the metal from coming in direct contact with the beer, the tab and lip of the can still come in contact with it. So when people sip their beer, the beer is exposed to the metal and imparts a metallic taste. This statement managed to ruffle quite a few feathers in the brewing industry. While some say this is a myth, some say avoid cans if you are unsure!

Jim Koch is full of ridiculous ideas.

Go drink anything from Maui Brewing Co., Oskar Blues, or Surly and come back and tell me what you think of craft beer in cans.

gcubed

Neckbeard said:
In response:

its a lie, unless you are using cheap cans, good cans lids are lined as well, beer making is a passionate hobby, career... if you think using (a) is bad, then (a) will always be bad to you no matter what you are shown as proof.

Viewt

If I'm not drinking out of a proper glass, I prefer bottles because it just feels better. There's something about holding a glass bottle in our hand that's cheapened when it's a tin can.

HiResDes

HappyBivouac said:
Jim Koch is full of ridiculous ideas.

Go drink anything from Maui Brewing Co., Oskar Blues, or Surly and come back and tell me what you think of craft beer in cans.
I want to try Surly's Darkness so bad...I'd pay 20 bucks for 24 ounce. :lol

gcubed said:
its a lie, unless you are using cheap cans, good cans lids are lined as well, beer making is a passionate hobby, career... if you think using (a) is bad, then (a) will always be bad to you no matter what you are shown as proof.

Listen to this man.

HiResDes said:
I want to try Surly's Darkness so bad...I'd pay 20 bucks for 24 ounce. :lol

I have no doubt that it's an exceptional beer but it's definitely another hype-inflated RIS. Just pick up some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout or Bell's Expedition, honestly.

Once I'm out of school and actually have some real incomce I am so buying a kegerator for my homebrew. My god that must be awesome.

WWS is amazing stuff, but I don't even compare it to other Imperial Stouts. Such a unique flavor there.

gcubed

HappyBivouac said:
Once I'm out of school and actually have some real incomce I am so buying a kegerator for my homebrew. My god that must be awesome.

$100 for an old freezer off of craigslist, 15 dollars for some 2x4's, some spray paint and a temp controller. I can fit 8 kegs in mine, currently have 5 taps running with Porter, Nut Brown Ale, Hoppy Wheat, Black Imperial IPA and Bourbon Porter

Evlar

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Never drink straight from the can or the bottle. Always pour.

Cans:

1) Prevent light damage (skunking)
2) Chill faster
3) Are more environmentally friendly
4) can be taken places such as campgrounds that don't allow glass.

Bottles:

1) Do what exactly that is better?
Cans do chill faster. They also warm faster. I'd also take issue with the "more environmentally friendly" claim, as it's not at all clear that processed aluminum is friendlier than processed sand. The skunking issue is real, but much reduced with dark-colored glass, to the point that exposure to less than full sunlight for an extended period is not a danger... which is something you won't want to do with cans or any other container, anyway.

gcubed said:
$100 for an old freezer off of craigslist, 15 dollars for some 2x4's, some spray paint and a temp controller. I can fit 8 kegs in mine, currently have 5 taps running with Porter, Nut Brown Ale, Hoppy Wheat, Black Imperial IPA and Bourbon Porter

Details on how you put that setup together? I'd love to know.

Neckbeard

gcubed said:

I'm not saying I agree one way or another. I like some canned beer, but typically I'll stick with the bottle if given a choice. Personally, it's more about the romanticism of a glass bottle than the modern convenience of an aluminum can.

For balance, below is a quote from my second favorite brewmaster and the man whose book got me into beer in the first place.

Garret Oliver said:
“We did it because there are many places where glass isn’t allowed – golf courses, stadia, airplanes, etc. We pretty much limit the cans to those places. Canning technology is now good enough that the flavor of the beer in cans is equal or superior to that in bottles. Like screw-caps on wine, [a can] still carries some stigma, but I think that’s disappearing slowly.”

gcubed said:

Is there anyway you can link to a guide (or possibly e-mail me a detailed account of what you did)

I've been thinking about doing something like this for some time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I HAVE THE SAME SPICE RACK AS YOU.

Also, hooray, beer! Lately I've been drinking assloads of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, and it truly is the greatest hefeweiss ever created. I've also been treating myself to Rochefort 10s when I go out lately, but they get pretty pricey. No one ever has Pannepot so I don't get to drink enough of it.

I too really enjoy Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier. I usually only have it once every week or so, but it's damn tasty!

Seanspeed

Banned
Reza_Neko said:
I have still yet to try a beer that I like. I like strawberry daiquiris, fuzzy navels, margaritas, gin and tonic, mojitos, white russians, and all of the other girly drinks. SOme of my friends insist that I just have to find the right beer. Based on what I've said already about my tastes in alcohol, what suggestions does GAF have to offer me?
This is a 'girly' beer, but its freakin fantastic. Probably my favorite 'summer' beer ever. You should definitely check it out. Its very light tasting, but its scrumptious.

9axt7p.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's a so-so beer, but I've found that Rolling Rock appeals to a lot of people who normally don't like the taste of most beer. It's a good starter, I think.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Seanspeed said:
This is a 'girly' beer, but its freakin fantastic. Probably my favorite 'summer' beer ever. You should definitely check it out. Its very light tasting, but its scrumptious.

9axt7p.jpg

Man i haven't had Hoegarden in so long. Fucking love that stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WorriedCitizen said:
wheat beer from a can that's just gross

I've actually read from multiple reputable sources that cans are far better vessels for containing and storing beer than bottle are. The fact that they don't let in any light is a big advantage alone. Who knows, though. I prefer bottles, but I don't really have a logical reason.

I only drink from glasses anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amakusa said:
w0m4v4.jpg

:D Good stuff man

Holy shit... you gotta be kidding me. Please say you're joking.

That's trashy malt liquor for change-scrounging bums in front of 7-11!

Cuu

Pilgor said:
Smoked beer!

Taste's like a delicious ham-beer.

aecht-schlenkerla-rauchbier.gif

Smoked beer is definitely not for me. I struggled through that one.

I also hate ANY beer that has a hint of clove in it. Ugh. Such a downer when that happens.

nacire said:
*drool*

I had last year's Dark Lord and skunked it in storage. :(

I haven't had a good deal of those because I never find the balls to pay over like $8 a beer (even if they are bombers). I'm sad I missed the Schlafly IPA. I'll see if they still have it, but I doubt it.

I'm not looking forward to Stouts/Porters season because I'm more of a fan of IPAs.

Pinko Marx said:
Alright so maybe BeerGAF can halp me out. I've been searching for a beer that I had a few years ago and LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
All I know is that its a Belgium style beer, I dunno if its a lager or ale or whatever. It had a bit of a sweet taste to it, and IIRC, had a red/gold/brown label.

Still lookin for an answer to this.

gcubed

HappyBivouac said:
Details on how you put that setup together? I'd love to know.

trying to find a guide, basically the bigger the freezer the more you can hold, there are some guides for sizing the chest freezers. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

Basically what i did was buy one that can hold a good amount of my kegs. Remove the top, measure out the border of the top. I created a sleeve with 2x4's, but you can go bigger if you want to use something taller.
I cut out 2x4's into a box that fit to the outside dimensions of my freezer. Painted and sealed the wood.
Placed the wood on top of the freezer and used silicone to create a seal/bead around the freezer and wood, then replaced the freezer lid.
My freezer had 2 pairs of screws on each hinge, so i just screwed one set into the wood and one into the freezer for some added stability.
After that you just need to run everything. I drilled a hole for my CO2 line as my tank is sitting outside of my freezer. I drilled a small hole for my temp probe and placed it in a small bottle full of the blue goo from reusable ice bags (this stabilizes the inside temp to liquid temp instead of air temp). I also ran a computer case fan and attached it to the top of the freezer to move some air and used an old motorola phone charger to power it.
Then you need to buy the parts for the taps, which include the taps and the shanks and drill holes into the collar where you want them and viola.

Search google for keezer build and you will find a bunch of help. I frequent http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ and there is a DIY section that has a bunch of peoples builds. If you have any questions (either of you) PM me, i'll try to answer. Don't want to derail thread further!

HappyBivouac said:
That's pretty difficult. Can you describe it any further?

This was years ago...I believe it had a darker brown color to it. It was fairly sweet, s'why I liked it so much. Pretty strong as well, stronger than most beers at least. I was told it was a Belgium style beer, but I don't think it was Belgium brewed. Like I said, idk if it was a lager or an ale or a stout or whatever category of beer there is. Thats pretty much all I know, if you could even narrow it down it'd be great. I have no idea of where to even begin my search.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Cindres said:
Hell with that, cans change the flavour and make it more... tinny.

Wrong. Modern canning techniques eliminate that as they're all polymer-lined. There's plastic between your beer and the aluminum.

Pinko Marx said:
This was years ago...I believe it had a darker brown color to it. It was fairly sweet, s'why I liked it so much. Pretty strong as well, stronger than most beers at least. I was told it was a Belgium style beer, but I don't think it was Belgium brewed. Like I said, idk if it was a lager or an ale or a stout or whatever category of beer there is. Thats pretty much all I know, if you could even narrow it down it'd be great. I have no idea of where to even begin my search.

Sounds like a doppelbock, but that'd be a German style beer. Then again, someone earlier in this thread mistakenly named Celebrator Doppelbock as a Belgian dubbel.

Just a shot in the dark... was it this?:

EKU_28.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've also been on the Newcy Brown again tonight. Fucking glorious stuff.

Had a couple of Grolschs,hoppier than i seemed to remember...

hie

distantmantra said:

Oh hey..I used to work at Georgetown Records/Fantagraphics for a bit. Spent much time at the 9lb. My good friends live literally right next door to it. Awesome beer you got there too! :D

If anyone else on here is around Seattle..do yourself a favor and visit Uber Tavern. Amazing selection. Great people. They do off-sales (kegs, growlers, masons...down to the ounce!)

http://www.uberbier.com/

Cuu

Pinko Marx said:

Probably start your search here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/55

Belgians are pretty popular in many beer bars, can be plenty sweet, and have a reddish/brownish color mostly. You can search through all of the beer bottle labels there.

Could also be a beer by New Belgium Brewing, and you could be mistaking it for something, so I'd check them out too:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192

enemyairship

Neo Member
gcubed said:
how sweet, was it a bit sour? was it a lambic?

framboise-lambic-ale-belgian-beer-thumb.jpg

I've had a few Belgian beers, and the Lambic are pretty good if that's the sort of taste you can acquire. But there are enough of them out there that I'll shy away from them before I try more out.

I've seen it mentioned, but not enough; my favorite:
yuengling_beer-18160.jpg

I usually keep my fridge stocked with that. Sam Adams is another great one.

hie said:
If anyone else on here is around Seattle..do yourself a favor and visit Uber Tavern. Amazing selection. Great people. They do off-sales (kegs, growlers, masons...down to the ounce!)

I actually live in Greenlake, so Uber is within walking distance of my house. Great place. Big Star Beers off Aurora on 105th is also well worth visiting.

forrest

formerly nacire
Pinko Marx said:

Chimay Red Label maybe?

Chimays.jpg

To everyone commenting on my fridge, my wife is a beer buyer for my Uncle's high end Whiskey and Wine shop. She has taken the beer section from nothing, to an amazing mix of unique and popular craft brews. We've made numerous friends in the industry and we always go to events, have tastings, or just out right party with most of them.

Triz

Certified beer snob here. Llagunitas brewery pretty much one of the only places where just about anything they make is fuckawesome (sans there Frank Zappa beers) Big fan of the stone as Ruination is by far the best IPA out there. Dogfish head 120 Minute IPA is too sweet (all that sugar to counter the bitter throws it off IMO)

Boulder Beer Company Mojo IPA is my cheaper ace IPA.

Top Bottom