• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Big fan of Anchor Steam since my last trip to San Francisco

2vii89i.jpg

FatalT

Banned
Zefah said:
Holy shit... you gotta be kidding me. Please say you're joking.

That's trashy malt liquor for change-scrounging bums in front of 7-11!

BEER SNOB ALERT!

BEER SNOB ALERT!

SOUND THE ALARMS!

I'm enjoying one of these right now. This is THE taste of autumn (the only time it's available) in Kansas City. Its taste evokes football and brisk, chilly air for me.

Everything Boulevard makes is fantastic, by the way.

Boulevard-Bobs-47-Oktober.jpg

"In college we usually got assloads of the cheapest beer we could find. But when I have a few extra bucks my favorite is the stuff that is nearly the same thing as the cheapest beer we could find but with classier marketing."

gcubed

HappyBivouac said:
"In college we usually got assloads of the cheapest beer we could find. But when I have a few extra bucks my favorite is the stuff that is nearly the same thing as the cheapest beer we could find but with classier marketing."
Come on dos equis is much better than keystone

I will get a Dos Equis Amber with my tamales or whatever bullshit "mexican" food I'm eating. I guess that was mainly directed at the Corona. I loathe that stuff and what it represents.

ATF487

I think that any beer is good beer, really. I wouldn't buy Keystone for myself but I'm not going to refuse one if it's presented to me

Sam Adams Boston Lager is my go-to beer, I usually like all of their stuff. They have a sweet brewery too, really enjoyed my time there
PBR is my favorite cheap beer, IIRC yuengling is better but I don't get it up in MA
Love stouts, only have had Guiness and my brother's homebrewed stuff though
Never met an Ale that I haven't liked
Not sure how I feel about IPAs, I like them but I think I'm not a hops enthusiast. Only had the Dogfishhead 60 and the Brooklyn East India Pale Ale
Wheat ales are good, especially in the summer

I just turned 21, so I'm just going to be buying a shitton of six packs to try new stuff out. I went into a liquor store for the first time yesterday, and I got the same 'holy shit I wanna try everything!' feeling that I get in record stores

-PXG-

cuevas said:
In college so we usually get

122ydqb.gif

of

vfb3o2.jpg

but when I have a few extra bucks this is my favorite:

15yuq36.jpg
or
2cz98qe.jpg

That's one thing I don't miss about college: Shitty beer.

What are some good microbrews to get for a guy in Jersey?

enemyairship said:
I've had a few Belgian beers, and the Lambic are pretty good if that's the sort of taste you can acquire. But there are enough of them out there that I'll shy away from them before I try more out.

I've seen it mentioned, but not enough; my favorite:
yuengling_beer-18160.jpg

I usually keep my fridge stocked with that. Sam Adams is another great one.

Good man. 7 thumbs up.

Salsa

I love me some Corona with some lime/lemon during a hot summer :( damn you haters.

We cant get that many types of beer around here, its pretty much just local, bud, or corona.

get some corona, bud light, and miller light

blindfold yourself

have a friend pour each into its own glass

put a lime on each glass

and see if you can tell which is which

then either a) realize your folly and save money from now on.
or b) explore the world of better beer.

ATF487

SalsaShark said:
I love me some Corona with some lime/lemon during a hot summer :( damn you haters.

We cant get that many types of beer around here, its pretty much just local, bud, or corona.

You're in Uruguay, right?

I haven't been to South America, but when I was in Panama and Costa Rica I noticed the same thing. Of all the beers they could import, it was only bud and corona, and that was the case even in the ex-pat bars

sasimirobot

Is there any safe way/package to ship beer overseas?

Chinese beer is just horrible, horrible stuff even though it only costs 13cents a bottle...

gcubed

-PXG- said:
That's one thing I don't miss about college: Shitty beer.

What are some good microbrews to get for a guy in Jersey?

Good man. 7 thumbs up.

flying fish, dogfish head, iron hill, yards, stoudts, triumph... lots and lots of good choices!

Salsa

ATF487 said:
You're in Uruguay, right?

I haven't been to South America, but when I was in Panama and Costa Rica I noticed the same thing. Of all the beers they could import, it was only bud and corona, and that was the case even in the ex-pat bars

Yeah, sucks. If you go to the right places you might find some other, better stuff. But expensive, and probably hot. None of that on your usual shop fridges.

Not that hard to understand considering we have two local brands, and one of them is really good, better (IMO of course) than some other beers i tried elsewhere. Still sucks though.

HiResDes said:
Have you had the Vanilla Bean version of the Dark Lord? I think it's even better.

Yep. Loved the Vanilla Bean. The Bourbon barrel-aged version is quite nice as well. Bourbon Behemoth blew me away also. I've been going to DLD since '06. Still debating about going next year given the cluster-fuck that was this year's.

-PXG-

gcubed said:
flying fish, dogfish head, iron hill, yards, stoudts, triumph... lots and lots of good choices!

Thanks

Was planning on making a run to the liquor store tomorrow anyway. Gonna pick up some Sam Adam's Octoberfest. Since turning 21 almost a year ago, this will be my first time buying booze from a store. I usually drink what I have in my house, what my friends have or buy drinks at a ball game or when I go out to dinner.

EDIT

I know my brother regularly drinks most, if not all, of those beers you listed. I've had Yards before. Damn good beer. Again, thanks for the tip.

gcubed

-PXG- said:
Thanks

Was planning on making a run to the liquor store tomorrow anyway. Gonna pick up some Sam Adam's Octoberfest. Since turning 21 almost a year ago, this will be my first time buying booze from a store. I usually drink what I have in my house, what my friends have or buy drinks at a ball game or when I go out to dinner.

EDIT

I know my brother regularly drinks most, if not all, of those beers you listed. I've had Yards before. Damn good beer. Again, thanks for the tip.

np, there are quite a bit more, those are the south NJ/Philly/DE choices that you should have no trouble finding. Dogfish Head is up there as one of the best

Flek

Banned
i cant believe it took 4 pages for the corect answer:

MasterAJ22 said:
I love beer, and for me it's usually:

gruen_becks.gif

best beer <3 so tasty. All the other becks beers like ice, green or gold are tasty to (they are called frauenbiere ;) )

Evlar

Banned
I have a Dogfish Head 120 that's been sitting around aging for about two years now. Thinking about popping it open tonight.

Not enough CO beer here.
For those who like Blue Moon, Give New Belgium's Sunshine a good. Same idea, more flavor.
sunshine-wheat-beer.jpg

I prefer it in the can, but it also comes in bottles.

Also, Adam Avery at Avery Brewery has the ability to pretty much churn out only pure awesomeness. I love all their "Big" beers, but their IPA and Ellie's Brown are amazing as well.
avery-brewing-company-boulder-colorado-tap-tasting-room.jpg

If you ever make it out to Boulder, hit up their tap room. Great beer, great place and they always have something interesting on tap.

It makes me sad to see how many people in this thread recommend Blue Moon as a good Belgian White. It's not even a decent example of the style. At least recommend a Hoegaarden or something.

You should be recommending Allagash White.

Reading this thread has made me want to clear out my backlog of beer and go pick up some of these seasonal brews next paycheck. One of the best beers I've had was at this one restaurant/brewery place in Columbus, Ohio. Forget the exact name of the place but what I had was what I thought was called their Winterbock. Loved it. I'm about to open something now from Sam Adams and give it a try. Anyone know anything about it?

bf11fd.jpg

Amakusa

Zefah said:
Holy shit... you gotta be kidding me. Please say you're joking.

That's trashy malt liquor for change-scrounging bums in front of 7-11!

Damn right, that stuff gets u where u need to be. DRUNK
Its beer bro, its not wine or champagne. No matter what you put in it, no matter how you make it It will always be BEER

You can add a naked chick laying beside it, toss a few flowers around it, add a little honey, brown sugar, extra hops, barley, and it won't change the fact... its BEER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcEG_JoVuo

So you can go spend your high dollars on something that taste beer and honey, I'll take my $1.50 per 24oz can and get fucked up tonight. It really is a Smooth malt liquor

NewLib

Banned
Amakusa said:
Its beer bro, its not wine or champagne. No matter what you put in it, no matter how you make it It will always be BEER

You can add a naked chick laying beside it, toss a few flowers around it, add a little honey, brown sugar, extra hops, barley, and it won't change the fact... its BEER.

So you can go spend your high dollars on something that taste beer and honey, I'll take my $1.50 per 24oz can and get fucked up tonight. It really is a Smooth malt liquor

I dont believe Ive ever hated a person as much as I hate you right now .

KingGondo

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Allagash White is spectacular as well.

We get decent beer selection in Oklahoma, but it's nothing like the Northeast. I need to bring some good beer back next time I'm in Maine.

dogfish head 90 minute IPA is my go-to beer when i can't decide what to get a keg of.

gcubed said:
Best beer...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BtKiSEq7nek/S_wlz1TFB3I/AAAAAAAADgY/k7u3Bgb1TyQ/s400/2010-04-25%2018.30.07.jpg[/IM]

served from...

[IMG]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BtKiSEq7nek/SpUtjAtjICI/AAAAAAAAA-o/7jD1_GHz8fo/s400/P1000043.JPG[/IM]

That has about 4 more taps on it right now. I also hoard all the Pliny i can get, but its hard on the east coast to get, i think i finally found a supplier through work[/QUOTE]
nice work!. i've got a dual-tap kegerator using the bottom of a standup fridge right now, and i'm currently building a 3-burner setup similar to yours with my dad. he's really into brewing right now.

andymcc

Banned
Amakusa said:

oh my god this post reeks of ignorance.

Amakusa

NewLib said:
I dont believe Ive ever hated a person as much as I hate you right now .
wiollg.jpg

because I drink beer to get drunk?
Haters gonna hate I guess, can't stop it.
You can view beer and all its different brands how ever you want, but I see beer for its true nature. TO GET DRUNK :D

HiResDes

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
It makes me sad to see how many people in this thread recommend Blue Moon as a good Belgian White. It's not even a decent example of the style. At least recommend a Hoegaarden or something.

You should be recommending Allagash White.
It is a pretty decent example of a Belgian White, albeit a little watered down, but that's what makes it such a great entry level beer....It also can be found more readily than Hoegaarden, so shut your mouth.

forrest

formerly nacire
Amakusa said:
because I drink beer to get drunk?
Haters gonna hate I guess, can't stop it.
You can view beer and all its different brands how ever you want, but I see beer for its true nature. TO GET DRUNK :D

I can also get full off of eating a pile of shit, but I think I'll choose a steak! :D

dogfish%20head%2090%20minute%20imperial%20ipa.jpg

I'm a huge Dogfish Head fan, so this is a staple.

weyerbacher_pumpkin.jpg

Had this recently. Good stuff. Also, Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale is excellent if you want a less pumpkiny, pumpkin ale.

EDIT: Oh! Almost forgot! If you like IPA and want an alternative to 90 min, try 'Hopsecutioner.'

4784519720_a25ed6a9cd_z.jpg

Amakusa said:

No, so much wrong in this post.

Amakusa

nacire said:
I can also get full off of eating a pile of shit, but I think I'll choose a steak! :D

you can also become very sick, maybe even die off eatting a pile of shit. Nice try bro, but really. Beer comes in many different flavors, brews, colors, style of creation. We all call it Beer, Beer, BEEER!! So stop trying to make it look pretty, drink it, get drunk and have a nice day.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FatalT said:
BEER SNOB ALERT!

BEER SNOB ALERT!

SOUND THE ALARMS!

I'm a beer snob for calling out 2-11 for what it is? Stores have big postings advertising shit like that and Mickey's for $1 a can or something. One of my brother's old friends is a drunken shitbag leeching off unemployment, and all he drinks is 2-11, Hurricane High-Gravity, and Mickey's because it's cheap.

Cheap Malt Liquor is for terrible drunks, not for anyone who actually enjoys beer for reasons other than getting shit-faced.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Amakusa said:
you can also become very sick, maybe even die off eatting a pile of shit. Nice try bro, but really. Beer comes in many different flavors, brews, colors, style of creation. We all call it Beer, Beer, BEEER!! So stop trying to make it look pretty, drink it, get drunk and have a nice day.
McDonald's makes burgers. Nice restaurants make burgers. Both will fill you up, but the McDonalds burger will taste like shit. Not all beers taste like shit-- just the bum juice you pour down your gullet. They are not the same.

I love beer, I drink different beers all the time. I haven't drank just to get drunk in years.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with getting dunk of course.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amakusa said:

Wow you're ridiculous. You can say that with anything. ex. "No matter what you put on your pizza, it's still just pizza and its only purpose is to get you where you need to be: full!"

I guess if the only reason you drink beer is to get shit-faced, then by all means continue drinking your awful malt liquor. Personally, I don't drink beer to get stupid drunk.

I like to find beer that tastes good, has interesting flavors, and goes well with food. I'm happy just getting a bit of a buzz, personally.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Enough the nonsense. Let's talk food pairings.

Okay people, normally in the past at the sushi place I go to, I drink pale ales with my sushi. Nothing too hoppy as I don't want to totally ruin my palate for the flavor of the sushi. I've read around and a lot of people seem to like lagers. Anyone have any recommendations for good types of beer to pair with sushi?

Well, I suppose you must admit that if you're aiming to get drunk, you couldn't pick a better beer/malt liqour than Steel Reserve. It is what it is. I'll pass, however.

I'll take a few Peg Leg Imperial Stouts. :D

Pilgor

Cuu said:
Smoked beer is definitely not for me. I struggled through that one.

I also hate ANY beer that has a hint of clove in it. Ugh. Such a downer when that happens.

*drool*

I had last year's Dark Lord and skunked it in storage. :(

I haven't had a good deal of those because I never find the balls to pay over like $8 a beer (even if they are bombers). I'm sad I missed the Schlafly IPA. I'll see if they still have it, but I doubt it.

I'm not looking forward to Stouts/Porters season because I'm more of a fan of IPAs.

It's not for everyone this is true, but there's is no denying how unique it is. Goes well with a BBQ meal.

I had a Rauchbier a year or so ago. It was an interesting experience, but it definitely wasn't for me. I love beers of all styles, and I love bacon, but I don't want to drink their bastard offspring.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Strangelove said:
Enough the nonsense. Let's talk food pairings.

Okay people, normally in the past at the sushi place I go to, I drink pale ales with my sushi. Nothing too hoppy as I don't want to totally ruin my palate for the flavor of the sushi. I've read around and a lot of people seem to like lagers. Anyone have any recommendations for good types of beer to pair with sushi?

Try some of the Japanese lagers like the standard versions of Asahi, Kirin, or Sapporo. I don't drink them often, but I think they go pretty well with Sushi.

Top Bottom