• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

woodchuck

Dr. Strangelove said:
Enough the nonsense. Let's talk food pairings.

Okay people, normally in the past at the sushi place I go to, I drink pale ales with my sushi. Nothing too hoppy as I don't want to totally ruin my palate for the flavor of the sushi. I've read around and a lot of people seem to like lagers. Anyone have any recommendations for good types of beer to pair with sushi?

yeah, going to a sushi bar today. interested in this as well

HiResDes said:
It is a pretty decent example of a Belgian White, albeit a little watered down, but that's what makes it such a great entry level beer....It also can be found more readily than Hoegaarden, so shut your mouth.

If a watered down version of a beer that isn't very good is a good example, then Bud Light is what we should recommend to people who want to try an American Adjunct Lager. Or maybe I'm just a snob.

Amakusa

Zefah said:
I'm a beer snob for calling out 2-11 for what it is? Stores have big postings advertising shit like that and Mickey's for $1 a can or something. One of my brother's old friends is a drunken shitbag leeching off unemployment, and all he drinks is 2-11, Hurricane High-Gravity, and Mickey's because it's cheap.

Cheap Malt Liquor is for terrible drunks, not for anyone who actually enjoys beer for reasons other than getting shit-faced.

Thank you for telling the truth, you're a Beer Snob, I'm not a Beer Snob (difference between me and you)

After a hard day of work, if I wanna run up to local 7 - 11 for 2 24oz beers that will only cost me 3 bucks, I can do that. I've had Colt 45s, Bull, Steel reserve, Blue Ribbon and all types of cheap beer.

If I want a good beer and a GREAT dinner
||
V
http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/
they also brew their own beer.

With Sushi you definitely want a rice based lager. Or maybe something slightly sweet. A hefeweissbier would probably go well with it. Conveniently, the sushi joint might serve Hitachino Nest White.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
If a watered down version of a beer that isn't very good is a good example, then Bud Light is what we should recommend to people who want to try an American Adjunct Lager. Or maybe I'm just a snob.

Blue Moon is widely available and is decent for what it is. It is a pretty solid beer to get people interested in stuff aside from the average bud and miller fare. Even though it's boring to anyone who has had Troegs Dreamweaver or Allagash White, it can still be a pretty big shock to people that never realzied beer could taste like oranges and coriander. Such as my father in law.

RSP

Just got home from work, noticed this tread and I'm now sitting here with an ice cold Brand :D

brand.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amakusa said:
Thank you for telling the truth, you're a Beer Snob, I'm not a Beer Snob (difference between me and you)

After a hard day of work, if I wanna run up to local 7 - 11 for 2 24oz beers that will only cost me 3 bucks, I can do that. I've had Colt 45s, Bull, Steel reserve, Blue Ribbon and all types of cheap beer.

If I want a good beer and a GREAT dinner
||
V
http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/
they also brew their own beer.

I disagree. I think the difference between you and me is that you drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk, and I drink to enjoy the beer's flavor and the food I'm eating along with it. I'd rather just not drink beer at all if I had to subject myself to two 24oz bottles of corn starch, alcohol and piss.

If that makes me a snob, then so be it. I must be a food snob as well since I avoid McDonald's, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and other fast food joints.

TheLastCandle said:
Blue Moon is widely available and is decent for what it is. It is a pretty solid beer to get people interested in stuff aside from the average bud and miller fare. Even though it's boring to anyone who has had Troegs Dreamweaver or Allagash White, it can still be a pretty big shock to people that never realzied beer could taste like oranges and coriander. Such as my father in law.

It's better than Bud or Miller, sure. But if people want to experience a good new beer they're better off avoiding it in favor of a Hoegaarden at the very least. I want people to get excited about the flavor possibilities and variety, rather than just have something that tastes slightly different.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This has been an amazingly civil beer thread. I for one am shocked.

I can drink all kinds of beer. Miller Light, Bud Select, Dogfish, and some of the more exotic beers. It all depends on situation and mood. The more rich flavored beers also tend to be pretty heavy as well. Sometimes I prefer something a bit more lighter. That is when the more mass produced beers come in. Money is also a worthy consideration as well.

dskillzhtown said:
This has been an amazingly civil beer thread. I for one am shocked.

I can drink all kinds of beer. Miller Light, Bud Select, Dogfish, and some of the more exotic beers. It all depends on situation and mood. The more rich flavored beers also tend to be pretty heavy as well. Sometimes I prefer something a bit more lighter. That is when the more mass produced beers come in. Money is also a worthy consideration as well.

I would say this a pretty good example of how I feel about the subject. What I consume definitely varies depending on price, mood, and whatnot. Personally unless it is unfathomable swill (Natural Ice), I'll drink anything and enjoy it for what it is. Budweiser is a well made beer for the style and I regularly stock my fridge with a case during the summer, right along side my sixers of Two Hearted and 22 ouncers of Double Bastard. Beer is such a delight.

My general beer rule: Advertised during sporting events? Avoid.

I'd also rather drink a nice tall glass of ice water than drink low quality beer.

Amakusa

B For Bendetta said:
Seriously if you are just drinking to get drunk why wouldn't you just get liquor? Everclear would probably go down easier than that shit

Beer is cold and filling, taking shots... not so filling, I enjoy my coke and rum now and then but beer comes first.

Getting fucked up = a Greater buzz due to the 8.1% over the normal beer of 5.4% : (

Getting shit face = where the hell am I? Damn everclear....

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Mango Positive said:
My general beer rule: Advertised during sporting events? Avoid.

I'd also rather drink a nice tall glass of ice water than drink low quality beer.

:lol
I like the way you think. Though i wouldn't say that's 100% true there are many i could agree with. Though i'm UK so it's all Carlsberg advertised during football.

My rule is nothing with "Carl" anywhere in it.

Amakusa

Zefah said:
I disagree. I think the difference between you and me is that you drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk, and I drink to enjoy the beer's flavor and the food I'm eating along with it. I'd rather just not drink beer at all if I had to subject myself to two 24oz bottles of corn starch, alcohol and piss.

If that makes me a snob, then so be it. I must be a food snob as well since I avoid McDonald's, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Burger King, and other fast food joints.

You can stay a snob and keep your expensive Corn starch, Alcohol and Rich person piss yourself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amakusa said:
You can stay a snob and keep your expensive Corn starch, Alcohol and Rich person piss yourself.

I'm definitely not drinking anything with corn starch in it.

I view beer as a luxury, so I am willing to pay a decent amount for it. Nothing ridiculous, though, but I'm willing pay upwards of $12 - $15 for a 6-pack or $3 - $6 for a 22 oz. bottle of good beer. On occasion, I'll even spring for a bottle of Chimay or similarly expensive beer.

It's nothing crazy, and since I don't drink beer in massive amounts I'm not blowing a significant portion of my paychecks on it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So much for things being civil. :lol

Not sure why opinions about almost anything turn into people hurling insults.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dskillzhtown said:
So much for things being civil. :lol

Not sure why opinions about almost anything turn into people hurling insults.

People often like to think that they are right. They tend to have angry reactions when other people tell them that they are wrong.

A beer that's a good balance between being able to appreciate the taste, and get buzzed relatively economically, is Spaten Optimator doppelbock. $15 for a 12-pack, 7.2% abv. Nice malty sweet flavor.

Estrella Damn is a really nice beer as well. For me it has the right level of Malt.
estrella-damm.jpg

Their beer that they made in collaboration with El Bulli is pretty special as well.

porque.jpg

Snuggler said:
A little off topic, but I recently saw some Mead at a local natural foods store and I'm interested to try it. What should I expect? Is it gonna be gross?
depends on who makes it. Pretty good IMO but closer to wine than beer

Amakusa said:

Is it that shocking to you that there are people who want to drink beer that tastes really good?

You're just being ignorant and stubborn (who was it that said these are the main defining characteristics of stupidity?) in your perception of what beer is. You live in this false dichotomy of "the everyman's drink" vs. "that hoity-toity crap that the snobs pay too much for because it's fashionable."

I've been drunk on really good craft beer tons of times and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. When you seek out stuff that you actually like to drink instead of just drink stuff you wouldn't be enthusiastic about without the mind-altering effects, you get to enjoy every glass, every sip, and get the bonus effect of inebriation. But hey, only a snob would want that.

I admit, seeing a can of steel reserve and saying "ugh how can you drink that crap" is a bit over the top and douchey, but don't let one blatant snob ruin your perception of craft beer. There's some really good stuff out there waiting to be tried.

Davidion

sharkmuncher said:
depends on who makes it. Pretty good IMO but closer to wine than beer

No, it's more like the most dangerous thing on the fucking planet.

Drinks like a light fruit juice but kicks like a goddamn mule if you're downing the wrong (or right) thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HappyBivouac said:
Is it that shocking to you that there are people who want to drink beer that tastes really good?

You're just being ignorant and stubborn (who was it that said these are the main defining characteristics of stupidity?) in your perception of what beer is. You live in this false dichotomy of "the everyman's drink" vs. "that hoity-toity crap that the snobs pay too much for because it's fashionable."

I've been drunk on really good craft beer tons of times and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. When you seek out stuff that you actually like to drink instead of just drink stuff you wouldn't be enthusiastic about without the mind-altering effects, you get to enjoy every glass, every sip, and get the bonus effect of inebriation. But hey, only a snob would want that.

I admit, seeing a can of steel reserve and saying "ugh how can you drink that crap" is a bit over the top and douchey, but don't let one blatant snob ruin your perception of craft beer. There's some really good stuff out there waiting to be tried.

I still don't think calling out 2-11 for what it is equates me to being a beer snob. I just got into beer heavily earlier this year.

That shit is the go-to drink for bums. There's a reason you can get a big can of it for about $1.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you should talk down people who drink it.

I think it, along with pretty much every light lager, tastes like shit, but people like what they like. It's good for people to be willing to explore but not everyone is.

Get'sMad

I should start drinking good beer again.

Used to be my thing but I wore myself out.

Now I just mainly drink Miller Liter and Lone Star. Pretty sad stuff.

HiResDes

HappyBivouac said:
Yeah but that doesn't mean you should talk down people who drink it.

I think it, along with pretty much every light lager, tastes like shit, but people like what they like. It's good for people to be willing to explore but not everyone is.
Yeah I'm into what could be considered snobby beers, but I also appreciate that for 5 bucks I can get two 40's of OE and get pretty drunk.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
modernkicks said:
Now I just mainly drink Miller Liter and Lone Star. Pretty sad stuff.

Obviously there is nothing like a good microbrew, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying a Miller Lite or any other cheaper beer. It's still beer.
I'm a proponent of all beers, except for the toilet beers like nasty ice or Milwaukee's. I can't sink that low.

Slizz

Brianemone said:
Estrella Damn is a really nice beer as well. For me it has the right level of Malt.
estrella-damm.jpg

Their beer that they made in collaboration with El Bulli is pretty special as well.

http://www.thebubblygirl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/porque.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Been meaning to try this beer

Snuggler said:
Obviously there is nothing like a good microbrew, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying a Miller Lite or any other cheaper beer. It's still beer.
I'm a proponent of all beers, except for the toilet beers like nasty ice or Milwaukee's. I can't sink that low.

You're just perpetuating the sad illusion. There isn't that much difference in the actual beer from bud light to miller light to natty light to keystone light. They're all pretty much the same.

Hell, Pabst Blue Ribbon, which people always like to call a "shitty cheap beer" compared to stuff like miller and bud, actually has a noticeably better malt and hop presence among macros. I can go with some Pabst and/or Grain Belt in the spring and summer occasionally.

tokkun

RE: Snobbery

Honestly, I would rather take a Miller Lite over Pliny the Elder or a Sapporo over Ruination 9 times out of 10. I think people tend to get a bit too self-congratulatory over their ability to adapt to acquired tastes. If people want to subscribe to the west-coast hop-bomb mentality, that's OK, but I think it's pretty silly to take on airs as if that's the be-all end-all of beer consumption. I mean, I like to drink black coffee, but that doesn't mean that I think that people drinking cafe au lait are unenlightened plebes.

I certainly think it's good for all beer drinkers to try broadening their horizons, but I'm not going to bag on someone if their favorite beer is a "mainstream craft" beer like Blue Moon, Sam Adams, or Buddweiser American Ale. Hell, if you have taken the time to sample a few types of beer and find that you prefer the Adjunct Rice Lager style, then more power to you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HappyBivouac said:
You're just perpetuating the sad illusion. There isn't that much difference in the actual beer from bud light to miller light to natty light to keystone light. They're all pretty much the same.

Heh, no.

I have tasted both, and there is a significant difference. Someone with taste as developed as you may not notice it, but us simpletons do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:

Honestly, I would rather take a Miller Lite over Pliny the Elder or a Sapporo over Ruination 9 times out of 10. I think people tend to get a bit too self-congratulatory over their ability to adapt to acquired tastes. If people want to subscribe to the west-coast hop-bomb mentality, that's OK, but I think it's pretty silly to take on airs as if that's the be-all end-all of beer consumption. I mean, I like to drink black coffee, but that doesn't mean that I think that people drinking cafe au lait are unenlightened plebes.

I certainly think it's good for all beer drinkers to try broadening their horizons, but I'm not going to bag on someone if their favorite beer is a "mainstream craft" beer like Blue Moon, Sam Adams, or Buddweiser American Ale. Hell, if you have taken the time to sample a few types of beer and find that you prefer the Adjunct Rice Lager style, then more power to you.

Nothing is inherently better than anything else, and "good" and "bad" are completely subjective. Got it!

tokkun said:

This is what I've been saying. People like what they like. It's great to branch out, and some do, some don't. Some branch out and find that they honest-to-goodness just like the mainstream stuff the best, which is cool with me.

However you are sort of misconstruing it. You say "subscribe to the west-coast hop-bomb mentality" but that's a pretty terrible way of putting it. Honestly when I think of hop flavor I salivate. I can't think of any more refreshing taste to me in the entire world. I just fucking love that flavor, without putting on any airs.

It's not a mentality, unless you're talking about the "explore, then drink what you like" mentality, which is exactly what most craft beer enthusiasts have. Some do take it to certain levels of snobbery, but most I've found are pretty cool laid-back people. I can't really say the same about a lot of the wine enthusiasts I've met; with a lot of these people it really does seem like it's more about fashion and snobbery than just enjoying good beverage.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I've got a dry hopped cream ale bottled and an Octoberfest in it's last week of fermentation.

The wait is the hardest part.

:D

tokkun

HappyBivouac said:
However you are sort of misconstruing it. You say "subscribe to the west-coast hop-bomb mentality" but that's a pretty terrible way of putting it. Honestly when I think of hop flavor I salivate. I can't think of any more refreshing taste to me in the entire world. I just fucking love that flavor, without putting on any airs.

I brought up west-coast hop heads because I think that the super-hopped flavor is among the most 'acquired' tastes in the beer world, much like dry reds are the most acquired taste of the wine world. And I think that the 'acquired taste' aspect is one of the big drivers of snobbish behavior, because acquiring a taste for something can be viewed as a sort of accomplishment.

Cindres said:
Fuck it's getting to Oktoberfest time and Halloween. This time i WILL find some Pumpkin ale, hopefully Newcastle will have an ale pub or store that can supply me with some, totally failed at finding any last year.

If by Newcastle you mean Newcastle upon Tyne then try the Cluny in Ouesburn (under Byker bridge) they have a pretty damn fantastic selection with some really great local brews. Dunno about pumpkin ale but its worth a shot and they'll sell/hire you kegs of any of beers they sell at the bar if you ask.

KHarvey16

This Sam Adams Black Lager is pretty great. A few of you mentioned it earlier, either in this thread or the Octoberfest one, so thanks!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
deadbeef said:
What is a guacamole burger and how do I get one?

Sounds like a hamburger with a slice of guacamole as a topping. Good stuff.

I'm drinking Schlitz right now bitches. I was looking for a budget beer and I had never tried it before, it's not bad.

Cuu

deadbeef said:
Also, no love for Sierra Nevada in this thread?

Post #24 =P

Sierra Nevada's Wheat beer had clove in it - I hated it. The barley wine they put out is fantastic. I've never been a big fan of the normal line beers, but the special stuff they put out are usually great. They're a notoriously hoppy brewery, so I approve.

No beer for me tonight though :(

Fireye

Had a bunch of pints at the local Rockbottom Brewery today. Went in for lunch, got a Rocktoberfest (delicious, but not representative of the style). Went back for "happy hour" afterwards, had their red and their delicious milk stout. MMMMmmmm. $1.50 giant pint and a half glasses.

zalemale

Big beer fan here as well.

For those Chicagoans out there looking to find their favorite beers on tap, take a look at beerbin. It's a site I've been working on with a few friends as a small ongoing side project. It has a database of bars that lets you know where you can find your favorite beer on tap or team being broad casted that you're interested in. It's constantly in development so some things are still kind of rough, but hope it comes in handy some time. Would love to hear any feedback.

cheers

Top Bottom