• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Live by Night joins list of costly film flops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I am shocked so many haven't heard of it. It had a huge marketing push. They were showing commercials in dec for it

Speevy

Banned
"Hello darkness my old friend"

Come on, no gif yet? Seriously?

benaffleckdaredevil8.gif

I saw the trailer and noped out on the spot. Affleck just didn't look convincing as a mobster and the costumes looked like something out of Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. Costumes looked way to cartoonish for me to take it seriously.

It probably could have done better without him acting in it. I don't think I've had issues with his directing but I can't think of a movie was was a great actor in. I'm sure there is one or more but I can't think of it.

robotrock

Banned
How many of his films have you seen? He's not in many to be already so fatigued.

Gone Baby Gone
Out Of The Furnace
Manchester By The Sea
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
The Assassination Of Jesse James
Why? He was incredible in Manchester. Ben Affleck has never given a performance even close to that level.

Some great movies there for sure, with great Affleck performances. not really sure I'm all that comfortable going out to see Manchester By The Sea with the recent sexual harassment stuff

I'm good on him.

kswiston

For those who didn't check the box office thread today, Live by Night dropped 94% to $101k this weekend (its third weekend since opening wide). Trolls and Doctor Strange, which have been out since the beginning of November, made more this weekend.

Now I feel bad i was going to make a post about how i think Great Wall is going to flop.

Considering the subject matter, the shit just looks dull.

The Great Wall will probably flop domestically, but it's already made $211M, so the worst case scenario is probably in the $275-300M range. Not good on a $150M budget, but not super notable in terms of flops either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Live By Night simply looked utterly redundant in a world where Boardwalk Empire existed. I've had my fill of prohibition-era gangster stories for a while.

Ridley327

I feel like the audience for those movies, or the place to do them best these days, is on television. Narcos as a 2 hour movie probably would have bombed too, conversely I think something like Black Mass would have worked better as a series even if you don't get to attach a huge star like Johnny Depp.

Honestly, there's more than enough to Bulger's story to justify at least one miniseries, and I do think that would have been a better format. I made a fairly similar complaint about The Infiltrator, which is about the takedown of some of Escobar's top guys, as that movie plowed through plot points at the expense of any character development, despite the game cast.

highrider

Banned
I saw the trailer and noped out on the spot. Affleck just didn't look convincing as a mobster and the costumes looked like something out of Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. Costumes looked way to cartoonish for me to take it seriously.

Thought the same lol. It looked just a little more authentic than the Smooth Criminal video.

The Lone Ranger bombed because it was a fucking Lone Ranger movie in 2013. Who was that for? The only people with any familiarity with the property would have been too busy organizing their arthritis pills.

What's that you say? A new audience? Nope, Johnny Depp as a Native American was clown shoes, and that snowballed on Disney just like it did for Ridley with Gods of Egypt.

Tugatrix

Last great classic gangster film I saw was Road To Perdition. Paul Newman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGFLyA3u_rw

roadtoperdition.jpg

Road to Perdition is a very underrated jewel.
Everyone's performance was amazing.
Daniel Craig
Paul Newman
Jude Law
Tom Hanks
All of them

I love road to perdition is one of my favorite movies, the history, the characters, the direction, the cinematography and the ambiance of the 20/30s it's spot on, it's almost like time traveling.

MrDaravon

I also had never heard the 13th Warrior was a bomb. I screened that movie way back in the day when I worked at a theater along with 20-30 employees, all I really remember is the guy behind me getting a bj during the movie lol.

Also I'm not really into gangster movies or stuff set in the 20/30s etc but Road to Perdition is an absolutely incredible movie.

Linkura

I can't say anything about the films he's directed, as I've never seen them, but he's never been a very good actor. Don't mind Affleck staying behind the camera, but I am sick of seeing his overrated acting all over the place.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm going to watch Road to Perdition tomorrow.

This bomb probably means WB have some leverage over Affleck in terms of making him do Batman.

robotrock

Banned
I'm going to watch Road to Perdition tomorrow.

This bomb probably means WB have some leverage over Affleck in terms of making him do Batman.

Affleck probably could make something comparable to the The Dark Knight in quality but no doubt DC is going to put their hands all over it

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is the first I'm hearing of The 13th Warrior being a huge bomb. I like that movie.

Another '90s megabomb that I liked was Strange Days.
Made less than a fifth of its production budget.

Helmholtz

Never really liked Ben Affleck's movies, always seemed really overrated to me. The Town was pretty bad, and Argo was massively overrated Hollywood drivel. Argo-fuck-yourself! hahahahaha! No.

Parch

Never really liked Ben Affleck's movies, always seemed really overrated to me. The Town was pretty bad, and Argo was massively overrated Hollywood drivel. Argo-fuck-yourself! hahahahaha! No.
Completely agree. I've never understood the praise this hack gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom