• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio is revealing a new logo tomorrow

twinspectre

You're talking about Syphon Filter being 'unique' and 'you like a generic game', but Sony did a remake of Demons Soul.

None of what you said are requirements for doing a sequel or a remake. lol
I still don't understand.
With unique I mean in a generation where every games have the same theme "post apocalyptic, zombies, survival, and crafting" a game like Syphon Filter would feel fresh and new.
The market is flooded with the same design/formula, and I'm shocked how can people still demanding for the same formula that has been done so many times.

Perrott

Last game was four years ago, looks like we’ll be seeing their next game soon.
Their current project - open-world new IP - only began production just two years ago, in early 2021, after the studio wasted two years working in concepts for Days Gone 2 and an Uncharted spin-off that never got off the ground.

Late next year at the earliest for a reveal.

bitbydeath

Their current project - open-world new IP - only began production just two years ago, in early 2021, after the studio wasted two years working in concepts for Days Gone 2 and an Uncharted spin-off that never got off the ground.

Late next year at the earliest for a reveal.
That rumour was debunked by Bend.

twinspectre

We're running in circle, so just re-read what I post. If you still don't understand thats ok.
"You're talking about Syphon Filter being 'unique' and 'you like a generic game', but Sony did a remake of Demons Soul."
If you don't mind being more "precise" it would be appreciated.

Fake

"You're talking about Syphon Filter being 'unique' and 'you like a generic game', but Sony did a remake of Demons Soul."
If you don't mind being more "precise" it would be appreciated.

Syphon Filter being unique while Days Gone being generic don't mean shit about what Sony will pick up for a remake or a sequel.

I even use the Demons Soul Remake example dude... hope you don't want me to draw to you.

Perrott

That rumour was debunked by Bend.
You are wrong. The only thing that was debunked was that Bend was the wording or narrative about the studio "becoming Naughty Dog North" and a support studio for Factions. The reporting itself, from Jason Schreier (good luck debunking that, when literally everything else talked about in that article went on to be true) wasn't conflicted at all. In fact, the Days Gone 2 debacle and Uncharted spin-off were openly talked about by Bend's former game director Jeff Ross at Jaffe's podcast several times.

The new IP has been in the works for just two years, so it isn't anywhere close to be shown given its open-world nature.

twinspectre

Syphon Filter being unique while Days Gone being generic don't mean shit about what Sony will pick up for a remake or a sequel.

I even use the Demons Soul Remake example dude... hope you don't want me to draw to you.
For some Demons Souls is generic (I love Demons Souls) that's why I didn't understand what you meant.
I wanted to understand if you called Demons Souls generic that Sony decided to remake it, lol.

I understand that Sony dgaf if a game is unique or generic, but i'm seeing plenty of people asking for "more of the same" and I'm honestly wondering "Do people really enjoy the same soup over and over"?

bitbydeath

You are wrong. The only thing that was debunked was that Bend was the wording or narrative about the studio "becoming Naughty Dog North" and a support studio for Factions. The reporting itself, from Jason Schreier (good luck debunking that, when literally everything else talked about in that article went on to be true) wasn't conflicted at all. In fact, the Days Gone 2 debacle and Uncharted spin-off were openly talked about by Bend's former game director Jeff Ross at Jaffe's podcast several times.

The new IP has been in the works for just two years, so it isn't anywhere close to be shown given its open-world nature.
I’ll believe the studio over Jason, but you do you.

Fake

For some Demons Souls is generic (I love Demons Souls) that's why I didn't understand what you meant.
I wanted to understand if you called Demons Souls generic that Sony decided to remake it, lol.

I understand that Sony dgaf if a game is unique or generic, but i'm seeing plenty of people asking for "more of the same" and I'm honestly wondering "Do people really enjoy the same soup over and over"?

I mean, is pretty generic as much as I like souls game.

Look at how many 'souls' games come after the ideia of 'remaking' Demons Soul. Is already a genre at this point. Many not 'From Software' companies already did 'soul' style games, but they just don't make at the same level as FS.

Anw, I did make a point. I hope is a Days Gone sequel, but I on board over a new IP. Will depends what they're offering.

twinspectre

I mean, is pretty generic as much as I like souls game.

Look at how many 'souls' games come after the ideia of 'remaking' Demons Soul. Is already a genre at this point. Many not 'From Software' companies already did 'soul' style games, but they just don't make at the same level as FS.

Anw, I did make a point. I hope is a Days Gone sequel, but I on board over a new IP. Will depends what they're offering.
They use the excuse of "Souls like" instead of saying "We are ripping off the Souls games", lol.
Anyway I think a game like Syphon Filter could make the difference in a market where this kind of games doesn't exist anymore.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Good. Hopefully Steam bought them too

shaking gabe newell GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love how people think that days gone is generic but syphon filter would be somehow original...

Story and characters were as by the numbers as it comes, story wise the secret finale in days gone is more interesting than anything inside the 3 syphon filter combined.

the only things i remember from these games are:

the taser

The press r1 to auto-aim

The cool AF menu music

CamHostage

Syphon Filter was unique compared to the generic zombie horde survival.

So, this came up before in a thread about a potential new SF that went to shit, but I'm curious why you would say Syphon Filter was unique? (Or are you just saying it's more unique compared to another zombie game?...)

With unique I mean in a generation where every games have the same theme "post apocalyptic, zombies, survival, and crafting" a game like Syphon Filter would feel fresh and new.

... whoops, I didn't see the thread went on, so you already answered.

That being the case though, I'm still not sure what would "feel fresh or new" about Syphon Filter reboot side from that there are fewer current-day stealth shooters than in the old days.

Syphon Filter is one of my favorite games, but whenever somebody says it should be rebooted, there's rarely a clear reason why it would work again?

To me, it was a pretty traditional espionage shooter/stealther with an amazing lock-on shooting mechanic (...which unfortunately would not translate to a modern game) and a few cool gadgets but not much else which would set it apart these days or work to rebuild the brand on. Plus it has an unfortunate name which would be problematic these days.

...I'd check it out still if they had a new take, but personally I'm hoping to see something new out of Bend Studio.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...the only things i remember from these (syphon filter) games are:

× the taser
× The press r1 to auto-aim
× The cool AF menu music

I could name a dozen more things worth remembering Syphon for, BUT, not many of them would distinguish the series enough to restore the brand for today's audience. It was an awesome 1999 game, and a fun action thriller while it lasted.

I'm with you, it's probably a franchise which was of its time. I'd personally enjoy a Syphon reboot/remaster if it actually happened, but I'd like more if Bend did something new and it hit big.

Last edited:

twinspectre

So, this came up before in a thread about a potential new SF that went to shit, but I'm curious why you would say Syphon Filter was unique? (Or are you just saying it's more unique compared to another zombie game?...)

... whoops, I didn't see the thread went on, so you already answered.

That being the case though, I'm still not sure what would "feel fresh or new" about Syphon Filter reboot side from that there are fewer current-day stealth shooters than in the old days.

Syphon Filter is one of my favorite games, but whenever somebody says it should be rebooted, there's rarely a clear reason why it would work again?

To me, it was a pretty traditional espionage shooter/stealther with an amazing lock-on shooting mechanic (...which unfortunately would not translate to a modern game) and a few cool gadgets but not much else which would set it apart these days or work to rebuild the brand on. Plus it has an unfortunate name which would be problematic these days.

...I'd check it out still if they had a new take, but personally I'm hoping to see something new out of Bend Studio.
If we compared a genre like Syphon Filter to today's overused genre, then yes, a game like Syphon Filter will feel fresh and unique in a market filled with FPS, Battleroyale, Survivor (not horror), to name a few over used genres of today's market.

Top Bottom