• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as 'Black Swordsman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

wi4PF4o.jpg

Maybe it will be like the movies.

Dialogue=Traditional
Action=CGI
Yeah, that scene looks pretty good. Kind of as if they blended drawing and cgi model into one.

And despite some of the worse looking cgi, at least they're trying to make it look like an anime. Nothing would be worse than Berserk getting the appleseed treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUImGc0yUn8

I'm not sure if first parties are huge on licensed properties. If you think about it, it makes little sense for them to invest heavily into something which they only get a cut out of without owning the property or anything.
My dream is crushed like Griffith before the Eclipse.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Berserk is published by Hakusensha, one of Kadokawa's competitors. :p

k1NAkSM.gif

What about Sega who merged with Sammy (who published the ps2 game)? It definitely would be a great comeback, provided the game is a success (similar to dark souls).

Reknoc

Seems a bit weird to try guessing a publisher for a Berserk game since, if there ever was a new game, the publisher would be fairly obvious; Koei-Tecmo.

The only dev/publisher that could ever do Berserk any justice would be Itsuno and Capcom. Platinum's licensed games are shallow and FromSoftware can't do action combat the way Berserk would demand.

It looked pretty good when they zoomed in on his face. I get the feeling this ones going to be a tv series though. And as long as most of the dialogue is traditional and CG is mostly action, Im game for this.

I really like Puck, so I hope this comes out soon.

Game was so much fun back in the day. I flip modded my PS2 just to play it. Being able to slice up enemies in different ways was sweet.
I did that too haha! The PS2 was stacked with great anime games, loved those Naruto games, much better than those on PS3 imo with the platforming ala smash bros. And Victorious Boxers from the Hajime No Ippo anime was awesome too, and yeah Berserk was a lot of fun.

They need to stop working on those crappy J-stars Victory games and go back to making great ones.

Madhouse is the only studio that will do Berserk 100% justice. Still hyped to see Lost Children animated though. Rosine Vs Guts will be amazing to see.

Maddness

As a person who has worked in CG in some form for most of my career I fucking hate it. I wish they'd go back to traditional animation. I hate that we're finally getting more Berserk and this is what we might be getting. Really disappointed.

Though I'm still disappointed from the lack of Wyald. I don't know how you can remove one of the greatest scenes in the manga and not put it into a visual medium.

zodd_by_kira919-d51wtfj.jpg

All hail lord Zodd.

As a person who has worked in CG in some form for most of my career I fucking hate it. I wish they'd go back to traditional animation. I hate that we're finally getting more Berserk and this is what we might be getting. Really disappointed.

Though I'm still disappointed from the lack of Wyald. I don't know how you can remove one of the greatest scenes in the manga and not put it into a visual medium.

zodd_by_kira919-d51wtfj.jpg

All hail lord Zodd.
I'm right there with you on that front. The part with Wyald is one of my favorite parts from Golden Age.

Fbh

Yay more bad ps2 era CGI.

Come on. Isn't Berserk a big deal in japan? Why does it keep looking like it gets like a 10th of the budget of something like Fate or One Punch man?

Seriously. This took almost 20 years to be released in animated format. Most we have gotten is some decent games. Wonder why that is.

Yeah, that scene looks pretty good. Kind of as if they blended drawing and cgi model into one.

And despite some of the worse looking cgi, at least they're trying to make it look like an anime. Nothing would be worse than Berserk getting the appleseed treatment.

Honestly, I think I'd rather they did something like this and go full CGI instead of awkwardly trying to do both 2D and 3D.

Honestly the CG isn't so bad for stuff like the third movie where all the fantastical creatures it looked great for.

But I'm just curious what their issue with the frames per second is. I don't recall the shit looking so janky in the third movie as the first or the majority of the CG in the second. Isn't part of the reason you go with CG because animation is relatively easier? Even freaking tv cartoons in the West have less jank

KyleCross

Honestly, I think I'd rather they did something like this and go full CGI instead of awkwardly trying to do both 2D and 3D.

This. That is what irked me about the movies. While I understand a lot of people hate CGI and want traditional animation, I'd rather they just go full CGI and be consistent instead of going back and forth. It really ruins the immersion. It's clear they do the CGI for budget reasons, so I think "No CGI at all" is probably a no-go, so I'd rather just have full CGI than full animation when budget is concerned, cause we all know how horrible budget animation looks.

Honestly the CG isn't so bad for stuff like the third movie where all the fantastical creatures it looked great for.

But I'm just curious what their issue with the frames per second is. I don't recall the shit looking so janky in the third movie as the first or the majority of the CG in the second. Isn't part of the reason you go with CG because animation is relatively easier? Even freaking tv cartoons in the West have less jank

As I said previously, some Japanese CG studios think thaf to imitate 2D anime and appeal to Japanese audiences, they need to deliberately limit the framerate. It's not necessarily that they can't make smoother animation, but that they make an aesthetic choice not to. Look at how Polygon Pictures changed from Tron Uprising to Knights of Sidonia.

This. That is what irked me about the movies. While I understand a lot of people hate CGI and want traditional animation, I'd rather they just go full CGI and be consistent instead of going back and forth. It really ruins the immersion. It's clear they do the CGI for budget reasons, so I think "No CGI at all" is probably a no-go, so I'd rather just have full CGI than full animation when budget is concerned, cause we all know how horrible budget animation looks.

Studio 4C does not use CG for budget concerns. They have made heavy use of CG in most of their productions (e.g., Genius Party), and it's clear that there's a studio philosophy to experiment with CG techniques because the animators there are personally interested in doing so.

People need to get it out of their head that the only reason Japanese animation studios use CG is "because it's cheaper."

Dali

That looks pretty boring but aesthetically I think it looks great in comparison to the cell shaded Appleseed movies. I think if you can't do cell shaded cg right(like Appleseed, berserk, that rooster tooth anime, and that Netflix anime) either go all the way or do 2d.

Studio 4C does not use CG for budget concerns. They have made heavy use of CG in most of their productions (e.g., Genius Party), and it's clear that there's a studio philosophy to experiment with CG techniques because the animators there are personally interested in doing so.

People need to get it out of their head that the only reason Japanese animation studios use CG is "because it's cheaper."

In this case they used CG because its faster. I posted a video some pages ago where one of the guys in charge talks specifically about this . They had a time-constraint and with the budget they had, the only possible method was this abomination.

KyleCross

You're seriously going to sit there and try to convince me that they do this simply because they "like it?" That sounds pretty fishy to me. They either do it for budget or, as True Savior said, it's quicker to produce.

This isn't a matter of just making certain elements CGI, which animes have done for a couple decades now, cause it looks better that way. This is full on inserting periods of complete CGI animated scenes in a 2D production. They're not doing that cause their animators are interested in it. It is done for production limitations plain and simple.

duckroll

You're seriously going to sit there and try to convince me that they do this simply because they "like it?" That sounds pretty fishy to me. They either do it for budget or, as True Savior said, it's quicker to produce.

This isn't a matter of just making certain elements CGI, which animes have done for a couple decades now, cause it looks better that way. This is full on inserting periods of complete CGI animated scenes in a 2D production. They're not doing that cause their animators are interested in it. It is done for production limitations plain and simple.

Yes, they simply do it because they like it. Studio 4C is not a traditional animation studio. They hire a lot of animators who come from different backgrounds including CG animators. We're talking about a studio which was willing to take in a Hollywood visual effects guy with no experience in traditional animation, who can't even draw his own storyboards, and allow him to direct a feature film adaptation of an award winning Japanese manga. He visually storyboarded the film using photographs and assistance from senior animators within the studio. Do you think that's something they do because they want to save time and save money? They could just make a standard adaptation with a Japanese director and it would have been so much easier.

Yes, I'm talking about Michael Arias and Tekkonkinkreet. As for the Berserk films they have repeatedly talked about how excited they were about the experimental process they used, because it allows them to do a lot more with the sword fights and big scenes in terms of making it feel like an animated version of a live action movie. They have a professional choreographer and did a substantial amount of motion capture for a lot of the fights. No one is saying it ended up looking great, but the effort that was spent on it was not an example of a studio trying to be "cheap" or a studio where the staff are not interested and passionate in these digital hybrid techniques.

I mean, you don't have to believe us or any of the behind the scenes and production stuff from the studio. Maybe everyone is just lying and you're right. Just consider that sometimes things don't turn out well even though people tried really hard and invested substantial resources and passion into it. It is naive to think that just because something is bad, that it is a result of people not caring.

You should play the game. Miura actually wrote the story so it's pretty acceptable.
I would love to but don't know how to go about doing that since I highly doubt it has an English localization.
So I'm not the only person really annoyed by that?
I fucking hate movie Caska. They toned her color down considerably. Watching the anime I took her as a dark skinned Italian or something, in the movie she has like a spray tan, was quite dumb.

Reknoc

I would love to but don't know how to go about doing that since I highly doubt it has an English localization.

I fucking hate movie Caska. They toned her color down considerably. Watching the anime I took her as a dark skinned Italian or something, in the movie she has like a spray tan, was quite dumb.

It does, that's the DC game. Came to the west as Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage.

dan2026

To be honest they could of picked something more inspired for the teaser.

Guts smashing a few skellys doesn't really set my heart aflame.

At least hint at some of the big bads Guts is going to face.

Yes, they simply do it because they like it. Studio 4C is not a traditional animation studio. They hire a lot of animators who come from different backgrounds including CG animators. We're talking about a studio which was willing to take in a Hollywood visual effects guy with no experience in traditional animation, who can't even draw his own storyboards, and allow him to direct a feature film adaptation of an award winning Japanese manga. He visually storyboarded the film using photographs and assistance from senior animators within the studio. Do you think that's something they do because they want to save time and save money? They could just make a standard adaptation with a Japanese director and it would have been so much easier.

Yes, I'm talking about Michael Arias and Tekkonkinkreet. As for the Berserk films they have repeatedly talked about how excited they were about the experimental process they used, because it allows them to do a lot more with the sword fights and big scenes in terms of making it feel like an animated version of a live action movie. They have a professional choreographer and did a substantial amount of motion capture for a lot of the fights. No one is saying it ended up looking great, but the effort that was spent on it was not an example of a studio trying to be "cheap" or a studio where the staff are not interested and passionate in these digital hybrid techniques.

I mean, you don't have to believe us or any of the behind the scenes and production stuff from the studio. Maybe everyone is just lying and you're right. Just consider that sometimes things don't turn out well even though people tried really hard and invested substantial resources and passion into it. It is naive to think that just because something is bad, that it is a result of people not caring.
I actually like the battles in CG like the guts vs 100 soldiers fight in the second film. Lord knows it would have taken ages to do it and make it look as nice on traditional animation and it still looked great.

I still don't comprehend the frame pace or how someone might enjoy the jank of movement but whatever they apparently have an audience that likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom