• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best cheesy 80s + 90s action movies that no one talks about?

91e0fmIHRYL._SX342_.jpg

Got this last year as a gift as I'm a Dudikoff mark. Legit good 80s action flick. Also includes the late Steve James, who played Jackson in the American Ninja series.

51BIHK5MZmL.jpg

I own Red Scorpion on DVD, Blu-ray and UMD.

zerosum

Yor: The Hunter from the Future Really bad, but... it is cheesy.

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn Hey, it's Bull from Nightcourt as an evil henchman.

If Looks Could Kill Cheesy, but still a surprisingly solid spoof of the spy genre staring "that other guy that's not Johny Depp from 21 Jump Street".

The Beastmaster This one has a bit of a cult following, and isn't even really cheesy. I'm just bringing it up because it's awesome. Stay away from the sequels though, unless you want to overdose on cheese.

Ecto311

THE-ELIMINATORS.jpg

The half tank guy inspired a shitload of drawings from me as a kid. Don't remember the movie as much as the cover.

jett

D-Member
No Retreat No Surrender

EkiPxkz.jpg

I'm not sure how sobadit'sgood it is these days, probably all kinds of awful lol. Protip: Van Damme is in the movie for like 5 minutes.

gappvembe

I'm proud of you gaf, 3 different movies with my man Gene Simmons (Runaway, Never Too Young To Die, Wanted Dead Or Alive)....

Anyway, I just saw the Green Room and it reminded me of an early movie with Patrick Stewart and another favorite actor, Pierce Brosnan: Detonator. I remember seeing it, but recall nothing about it. So I went to look it up on Amazon (don't have the bandwidth to stream) and wow there is a sequel with Pierce! Bought the double pack for $5 and some change.

10108364-0-detonatordetonator_2__night_watch_fullscreen_double_feature-dvd_f_280cbb0c-400c-44d4-8f7b-81370bac981d_large.jpg

cj_iwakura

I'm proud of you gaf, 3 different movies with my man Gene Simmons (Runaway, Never Too Young To Die, Wanted Dead Or Alive)....

Anyway, I just saw the Green Room and it reminded me of an early movie with Patrick Stewart and another favorite actor, Pierce Brosnan: Detonator. I remember seeing it, but recall nothing about it. So I went to look it up on Amazon (don't have the bandwidth to stream) and wow there is a sequel with Pierce! Bought the double pack for $5 and some change.

10108364-0-detonatordetonator_2__night_watch_fullscreen_double_feature-dvd_f_280cbb0c-400c-44d4-8f7b-81370bac981d_large.jpg

The mission is impossible.
The consequences... deadly.

Nothing like a good tag line. It's an art form.

91e0fmIHRYL._SX342_.jpg

Got this last year as a gift as I'm a Dudikoff mark. Legit good 80s action flick. Also includes the late Steve James, who played Jackson in the American Ninja series.

This was the first movie I saw that did the "man hunts man" schtick.

It was also the best.

The people that recommended these titles:
Drive
Surf Ninjas
American Ninjas
The Last Dragon
Cobra
Tango and Cash
They Live
The Hunted
[Brofist]

Since all the good ones have been mentioned, here's a title (not sure if it counts) that's slightly more on the adventure side, but it's got that good awesome cheese.

covers_14340.jpg

Krull-Movie.jpg

KRull5-615x261.jpg

Yes the guy in green is Liam Neeson!

xevis

Banned
Bloodsport! Most under-rated 80s movie ever. From the 90s, I really dig Assassins (the one with Antonio Banderas and Sly Stallone).

That no one talks about, why the hell are people posting movies like Blade Runner, Kickboxer, Big Trouble in Little China, Tango and Cash? These are pretty popular movies.

The King of Kickboxers. - Trailer has boobs so nsfw.

King-of-Kick-Boxers.jpg

This movie is so great and so cheese. Really is a hidden gem and it has an amazing soundtrack.

Bleepey

Do you know the funny thing about all these movies is, you can look at the pictures and you can pretty much guess the content of the trailer to a tee. Will there be a cheesy voice narrator? Check. Synth? Check Etc Etc Action however can sometimes be surprisingly not shit. The King of Kickboxers looks decent. Though the VHS quality hurts my eyes.

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Renny Harlin directing and Dice starring as a Rock 'n Roll detective. With Morris Day AND Wayne Newton, along with Al Bundy singing/dancing to a disco hit called "Booty Time" ... Can't go wrong.

Zabka

That no one talks about, why the hell are people posting movies like Blade Runner, Kickboxer, Big Trouble in Little China, Tango and Cash? These are pretty popular movies.

The King of Kickboxers. - Trailer has boobs so nsfw.

King-of-Kick-Boxers.jpg

This movie is so great and so cheese. Really is a hidden gem and it has an amazing soundtrack.
Came to post this movie or anything starring Billy Blanks. Showdown, Talons of the Eagle, TC2000. If there's one thing I miss about Blockbuster it's the SUPER ACTION section.

I'll add Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHKnU-YkOE4
Rocky in space with Aliens. Has some familiar sci-fi actors in it and it's total crap and fantastic.

Nicholas Cage and Tommy Lee Jones are Apache pilots fighting a drug war when they come up against a master drug cartel helicopter pilot.

As the cover art says, it is basically top gun with helicopters.

Cage = Maverick, Jones = Viper

firebirds.jpg

Top Bottom