• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best eInk e-reader right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am going on vacation in a month or so, returning to the sunny Caribbean. I'm looking forward to getting some reading done, so I've decided to buy an eReader.

My needs:
- To read books. I don't need to read manga. I don't need to read comics. I don't need to play games. I don't need to get on the internet or read wikipedia. I don't need my device to narrative for me. I just want to read books.

- I don't expect to be getting a 3G model if I choose a reader with that as an option, and I'm looking for something closer to the size of the smaller Kindle than the larger one. I'm not a stickler on price, so don't worry about price. I don't care about colour.

- I don't care what store the device is attached to, as long as the device can take books in some format that calibre can output. I will buy, de-DRM, and convert any books I need. Most of my current collection is in DRM-free ePub or PDF (academic articles especially are in PDF), but I have no problem using calibre to convert to mobi or whatever. I work in a library and I have no problem slicing, debinding, and scanning books I own. Purchasing is not relevant here.

- Responsiveness is absolutely key. I used a very old Sony eReader the other day and it was very sluggish, like one of those old electronic organizers or pocket dictionaries or whatever. I want something that feels very very responsive.

- I have a tablet. It is great. I love it. I will probably take it with me on vacation. I read books on it. I don't need another one. I'm specifically asking about eInk because the last time I went to the Caribbean, I found it difficult to read under the mid-day sun on the beach with my tablet. Please, please, please, please don't suggest a tablet. Also keep in mind that I own one, so you don't need to suggest an eReader that does things that a tablet does. :)

- I live in Canada, and it has to be available here. I use both Macs and PCs in pretty much equal measure, so if it's compatible with both, all the better.

I'm currently leaning towards the Kindle, but I'm also weighing the Nook and Kobo and a few Sony models.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've got a Kobo. If I were to buy another eReader it'd be a Kindle 3.

I have a Sony PRS505. I wouldn't recommend that if that is still the predominant model they sell. It is pretty slow (page turning, book loading) and the UI is clunky. I'm not sure if they've updated their model line or what, but I'm just speaking from my experience.

I'll probably be getting a Kindle this year, but that's because I am an Amazon junky and will appreciate its convenience--which doesn't seem to be your concern.

entremet

Kindle 3. Amazon ain't going anywhere and I found it a bit more responsive than the e-Ink Nook, especially since you mentioned you don't mind converting formats. I would've chosen the Nook if that was an issue.

Red UFO said:
I have a hard time imagining myself using any other eReader than my Kindle.
That's a strange statement--have you used any other eReader than your Kindle?

I wish eReaders were OK to have turned on during take-off/landing. That's the primary thing that holds me back from traveling "bookless" these days.

DiscoJer

You might visit www.mobileread.com

It's basically the NeoGaf of e-reading.

But basically from everything I've read, the best is Sony's PRS-650. Has the same e-ink screen (the pearl), but also has a touch screen (they use infra-red technology, so it's not actually the screen that senses the touch, thus keeping it perfectly readable, unlike past models that has a touch layer over the screen)

You might consider the PRS-950 if you are going to do a lot of PDFs, it's got a bigger screen.

The Kindle 3 is the best e-ink e-reader when you factor in price, but the Sony 650/950 are the best ones. Sony ones also apparently have better PDF support (allowing re-flow, which the Kindle doesn't)

vazel

Banned
Only the Kindle 3 and a Sony reader use the latest e-ink Pearl technology. The Kindle 3 is bad at displaying pdf's though. The text in pdf's is in a fixed page format so you have to zoom in part by part which is annoying and clunky. I can sometimes convert pdf's to mobi in calibre and that makes the text reflowable but when the pdf has a lot of images the text will not reflow and is still in a fixed page format. Maybe the Kindle DX would be better if you read a lot of pdf's, its larger screen size would make pdf's easier to read without having to zoom in.

Big-E

Is buying a Kindle in Canada wise? Our amazon store is one of the worst sites on the internet and borders on useless. Sony's reader can let you buy from their store as well as Chapters Indigo. Chapters Indigo sells their own ereader the Kobo but I don't know how good it is.

I'm a Nook owner, and it still has some nice advantages over the Kindle, but I gotta say despite all that, a Kindle 3 seems like the best thing out right now. It's so light now and the contrast ratio is amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Big-E said:
IS buying a Kindle in Canada wise? Our amazon store is one of the worst sites on the internet and borders on useless. Sony's reader can let you buy from their store as well as Chapters Indigo. Chapters Indigo sells their own ereader the Kobo but I don't know how good it is.

Not really a problem; if I get a Kindle, I can still buy eBooks from Chapters (which IIRC are DRM-free ePub) and use Calibre to convert them. Not sure about the Sony store. Also right now I choose between the Kindle store and iBooks and for most things the Kindle store is cheaper, even in Canada, so I feel comfortable enough with the pricing/availability.

I share your grief on Amazon.ca though!

DiscoJer said:
You might visit www.mobileread.com

It's basically the NeoGaf of e-reading.

Thanks for the URL.

Get an Ipad, fool! Why bother with a Kindle when you can get something that does the same thing but much more (like going on the internet). E-ink readers are a waste and you can't even read them in the dark! Step your game up.

No, seriously, I would say a Kindle but I'm not exactly sure on your preferred level of responsiveness. My experience is with the 2G version so I'm not sure about changes in the newer model. I, personally, find the responsiveness great but a lot of reviews point it out as a flaw so to each his own. To me, the delay really isn't that noticeable. It's still faster than turning a page manually. :\

Stumpokapow said:
Not really a problem; if I get a Kindle, I can still buy eBooks from Chapters (which IIRC are DRM-free ePub) and use Calibre to convert them. Not sure about the Sony store. Also right now I choose between the Kindle store and iBooks and for most things the Kindle store is cheaper, even in Canada, so I feel comfortable enough with the pricing/availability.

Oh, if you are already buying books with the Kindle app you definitely want the Kindle then. Books purchased via Amazon can be synced to last page read across all devices wirelessly, so you can read on your Kindle on the beach and your ipad at home if you want.

LCfiner

Kindle.

Amazon store selection in Canada is pretty close to the US store. B&N is not an option unless you want to jump through many hoops.

Kobo reader just looks like an inferior piece of hardware but I don't know if the kobo store has better selection than amazon

Sony PRS350. I also have a kindle 3 with lighted cover It's nice but the Sony is smaller, and handle's PDFs better than the kindle. Text seems a little sharper and constrast a tad better but that might be due to the slightly smaller screen.

grumble

If you want the best e-reader, get the Sony PRS-650. That thing kills everything else out there. Not only is it the best tech, it's also got great UI and the hardware feels rock solid.

If you don't want a Sony ereader, then get the kindle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
forgeforsaken said:
Oh, if you are already buying books with the Kindle app you definitely want the Kindle then. Books purchased via Amazon can be synced to last page read across all devices wirelessly, so you can read on your Kindle on the beach and your ipad at home if you want.

Hmmm. Very interesting.

vazel

Banned
The Kindle sync is indeed awesome. By day I use my Kindle but at night I find it more comfortable to read on my LCD monitor.

Oh and get yourself a cover when you buy a Kindle. I thought I wouldn't need one but now mine has three light scratches.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
vazel said:
The Kindle sync is indeed awesome. By day I use my Kindle but at night I find it more comfortable to read on my LCD monitor.
i even do it across my itouch and droid x :p

Vyer

Sounds like the Kindle is pretty much perfect for you.

I was going to mention that the syncing with other Kindle apps across your other devices should seal the deal, but looks like I was beaten.

AstroLad said:
i even do it across my itouch and droid x :p

Yeah, I use it on my iPhone. I just need to remember to turn my wireless on to sync on the Kindle. Generally I keep the wireless off on it as that increases the battery life like tenfold. I think I charge the thing at most twice a month.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
forgeforsaken said:

That's pretty damn cool.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
SnakeswithLasers said:
I wish eReaders were OK to have turned on during take-off/landing. That's the primary thing that holds me back from traveling "bookless" these days.

They really make you turn them off? That is so ridiculous. Do they make people take the batteries out of their watches too?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
vazel said:

Oh and get yourself a cover when you buy a Kindle. I thought I wouldn't need one but now mine has three light scratches.

It's great until you want to share books with a family member. My wife and I use the same amazon account, she reads on her kindle and I on my iPad. Since we both want to read the same books for the most part, I had to turn the synch off.

I wish you could designate separate individuals on one account as "readers" who can all share books but keep their bookmarks separate.

But OP, definitely a Kindle. I sold mine and do my reading on my iPad, but the Kindle device is a much better dedicated reading device. (I just want the one thing that does everything, so I'll stick with my iPad.) My wife has both, but does all her reading on her kindle.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
-Sorry, using USD. Sony is out of stock on all the stores I check.
-Never compared the response time.
-I think these are the only two with the best e-ink technology?

Sony PRS-650:
$229.00 or $206.99(I think the lesser price is a Sony Store deal. I don't know if it wants a credit sign up or not. I can't add it to the cart since it's out of stock.)
Screen Size : 6 inches
Dimensions (Approx.) : 6.61 x 4.68 x 0.38 inches (H/W/D)
Weight (Approx.) : 7.58 oz
E Ink® Pearl 16-level gray scale
Memory Size : 2GB Dual Memory Card Expansion Slots for Memory Stick Duo™ and SD Card up to 32GB.

Kindle 3 wi-fi:
$139.99
Display Size: 6" diagonal
Dimensions (Approx.) : 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.335"
Weight (Approx.) : 8.5 ounces
E Ink® Pearl 16-level gray scale
Memory: 3 GB for user content? No expansion. 3,500 books

I don't think the PRS-650 has wi-fi?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
SnakeswithLasers said:
That's a strange statement--have you used any other eReader than your Kindle?

Really? You don't have enough patience to just wait a few minutes?

Spend the extra $50 for the Kindle 3 with 3G. Then you can surf GAF while sitting on the beach. The browser is terrible (still useable) but I've used my Kindle all over the place to browse this forum when no Wi-fi is available or when wi-fi access has a charge associated with it. It's just a great option to have even if don't think you'll use it.

justin.au

aidan said:
I've got a Kobo. If I were to buy another eReader it'd be a Kindle 3.

Nothing particularly wrong with the Kobo, but the Kindle has a much greater feature set, and now the price difference isn't as bad, I'd definitely get a Kindle.

you guys think the kindle will drop to 100 bucks sooon? I tried reading on ipad for extended amounts of time but it makes my eyes hurt.

chiba

Technosteve said:
you guys think the kindle will drop to 100 bucks sooon? I tried reading on ipad for extended amounts of time but it makes my eyes hurt.
They announced an ad-supported kindle for $114 just this week. Not 100, but close.

Hari Seldon

I love my Kindle 2. Damn thing has tremendous battery life. The sync feature is awesome for pooping at work.

HOWEVER

Since you already have a tablet, have you considered a subscription to audible? Nothing beats a nice audiobook on the beach, as your eyes can still cruise around for hotties. I find that I listen to more audiobooks these days than anything. They are great motivators for doing chores also, since you can read while you clean or do yard work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SystemShark said:
Spend the extra $50 for the Kindle 3 with 3G. Then you can surf GAF while sitting on the beach. The browser is terrible (still useable) but I've used my Kindle all over the place to browse this forum when no Wi-fi is available or when wi-fi access has a charge associated with it. It's just a great option to have even if don't think you'll use it.

Hitokage mentioned this to me earlier. My brain says "I've got a smartphone, I've got more data than I can ever use", but given that I will be out of country and roaming data would basically bankrupt me, I'm already thinking of ways I could use it. Grumble grumble, maybe I'll end up springing for the Whispernet model if I get a Kindle. Thanks for the input.

Hari Seldon said:
Since you already have a tablet, have you considered a subscription to audible? Nothing beats a nice audiobook on the beach, as your eyes can still cruise around for hotties. I find that I listen to more audiobooks these days than anything. They are great motivators for doing chores also, since you can read while you clean or do yard work.

I hadn't checked it out because I guess I thought it wasn't available in Canada, but it seems like it is. Thanks for the heads up. I might well subscribe for a few months.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
forgeforsaken said:
Yeah, I use it on my iPhone. I just need to remember to turn my wireless on to sync on the Kindle. Generally I keep the wireless off on it as that increases the battery life like tenfold. I think I charge the thing at most twice a month.
I've wanted to get an e-reader for about two years now at least, but I just can't justify having yet another portable device (droid x for mobile, itouch 64gb for music & vid, blackberry for work, 3ds, etc.). One day.

Stumpokapow said:

Actually, Chapters is deceptive - any eBook link you see with them actually sends you to kobobooks.com (makers of the Kobo ereader you see in-store). Their books all use standard Adobe Digital Edition epub or pdf encryption. They are typically the best deal on ebooks I've seen in Canada, though.

That being said, I've never used a Kindle. If they support DE books you should be fine?

Stumpokapow said:
Hitokage mentioned this to me earlier. My brain says "I've got a smartphone, I've got more data than I can ever use", but given that I will be out of country and roaming data would basically bankrupt me, I'm already thinking of ways I could use it. Grumble grumble, maybe I'll end up springing for the Whispernet model if I get a Kindle. Thanks for the input.

I hadn't checked it out because I guess I thought it wasn't available in Canada, but it seems like it is. Thanks for the heads up. I might well subscribe for a few months.

I find the 3G pretty convenient--once you finish a book on an e-Reader you do want to immediately buy another book or three--but make no mistake about it, the browser is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. I wouldn't use "technically capable of internet surfing" as a justification for getting the Whispernet version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom