• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best eInk e-reader right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new Nook Touch + Glow lite while my wife has a Kindle 3 and my brother has the new Kindle touch (the cheap one). I can say I think nook is clearly the better product of the three.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bump. Couldn't find an official ebook reader thread so I guess this one will have to do (if there is actually one could someone give me a link?).
There isn't one. I might make an attempt at an OT in the next week or so. The eReader refresh cycle usually starts at late summer/early fall so you might want to wait a bit. If you're in a rush then, yeah, the kindle is a decent investment. Not good for PDFs though

PGamer

fucking juniors
There isn't one. I might make an attempt at an OT in the next week or so. The eReader refresh cycle usually starts at late summer/early fall so you might want to wait a bit. If you're in a rush then, yeah, the kindle is a decent investment. Not good for PDFs though
I guess I'm not in a huge rush. I need to read through a textbook in the next couple of weeks which I have the digital version of but I can't stand reading in-depth stuff on a computer monitor so I thought I might as well invest in an ereader rather than buying the book off Amazon. How bad exactly is PDF support on the Kindle? I'm under the impression PDF support is pretty flaky across the board. I don't need something that can read PDFs really well per se, just something that can read any file that can be converted from PDF I guess. People in this thread were talking about calibre before but I don't know how well that actually works in practice, if someone could chime in on that that would be great.

Are there any specific ereaders set to be released in this late summer/early fall period or is it just speculation at this point? I don't know exactly what kind of features/tech I'd want to look forward to (colour isn't really a big issue for me I don't think and I don't know what else there really is).

Also an ebook reader OT would be really cool if you decide to go through with making it.

Yeah, it is. It's not even close, really.
Is the Nook Touch available in Canada? What makes it so much better than the Kindle?

Blackhead

Redarse
I guess I'm not in a huge rush. I need to read through a textbook in the next couple of weeks which I have the digital version of but I can't stand reading in-depth stuff on a computer monitor so I thought I might as well invest in an ereader rather than buying the book off Amazon. How bad exactly is PDF support on the Kindle? I'm under the impression PDF support is pretty flaky across the board. I don't need something that can read PDFs really well per se, just something that can read any file that can be converted from PDF I guess. People in this thread were talking about calibre before but I don't know how well that actually works in practice, if someone could chime in on that that would be great.

Are there any specific ereaders set to be released in this late summer/early fall period or is it just speculation at this point? I don't know exactly what kind of features/tech I'd want to look forward to (colour isn't really a big issue for me I don't think and I don't know what else there really is).

Also an ebook reader OT would be really cool if you decide to go through with making it.

Is the Nook Touch available in Canada? What makes it so much better than the Kindle?

A new Sony device just slipped through the FCC. Rumors are Kobo and Amazon are coming out with something new but that's more speculative.

If by 'textbook' you mean a 'novel required for a course' then converting that pdf textbook to other formats might be fine. For more complicated textbooks (with diagrams, formulas and the like) converting from PDF to other formats usually results in a poor experience. If you decided to converting anyway then it shouldn't matter which eReader you choose as Calibre can convert PDF to almost any format.

Nook Touch isn't officially available in Canada.

Quick

Banned
The Kobo Vox was briefly pulled from our store. Now it's on discount. I'm going to assume there's a new one coming soon(ish).

Nook is awesome for its superior form factor, glowlight, epub format (better overall options for formats), battery, expandable memory, solid and reliable hardware, ease of rooting, plus B&N always seems a step ahead of Amazon on new features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom