• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best eInk e-reader right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just bought a Kindle a few days ago and I'm loving it so far. My main gripe is that I cannot easily flip between pages if I don't actually know their numbers (which becomes a problem as I'm reading A Game of Thrones and want to check the appendix to keep track of who's who), but I guess this is a necessary concession when you give up paper and ink.

My other complaints are that the keyboard and UI are cumbersome and slow and it's difficult to hold the kindle without accidentally pressing a page button or the keyboard.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can't you just add a bookmark and then use back to get back to the page you were at?

Halycon said:
I just bought a Kindle a few days ago and I'm loving it so far. My main gripe is that I cannot easily flip between pages if I don't actually know their numbers (which becomes a problem as I'm reading A Game of Thrones and want to check the appendix to keep track of who's who), but I guess this is a necessary concession when you give up paper and ink.

My other complaints are that the keyboard and UI are cumbersome and slow and it's difficult to hold the kindle without accidentally pressing a page button or the keyboard.

Can you sync to furthest page read under menu?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, I am slowly getting accustomed to using the built in features but I miss the quick flipping of pages as I see fit.
HiroProtagonist said:
Can you sync to furthest page read under menu?
Well the problem is the kindle assumes I'm reading the Appendix, so when I open the book again it just takes me to the appendix. It would be nice if I could have multiple books open at once, or the same book opened to different locations, and a button to easily switch between them. I'm not sure as to the purpose of the keyboard, it seems numbers would've been much more handy to have easy access to. Rather than scrolling around the symbols menu.

Schlep

outunderthestars said:
My Kindle with special offers arrived this weekend, I love this thing! I hear next week's offer is $50 off of a roku player. :)
Seriously? I'm waiting on my $1 album code at the moment. The ads aren't obtrusive at all, and if the deals continue, that's just gravy.

Charred Greyface said:
Gaffers, B&N is announcing a new reading device on May 24th. Wait two weeks to find out what it is.
Most likely a new e-ink reader. And if so, they will probably drop the price on the old nook as well.

Kosmo

Banned
I'm sure I'm super late to the party, but I just discovered the ability to have Instapaper deliver a compilation of your items on a daily basis in a nicely formatted file:

Eje9v.jpg

I just wish there was a way to set a time for the delivery, like 5pm. I generally tag some things at work during the day and would love to see those pushed when I leave to read at home on my Kindle, although there is a "Send now" option on the website.

Read on Dutch tech site tweakers.net that Amazon told publishers that they are going to support epub.

Edit: original source

We have some rather breaking news with online giant Amazon and their highly successful line of Kindle e-readers. It seems many publishers have been told by the company that in the near-future, they should be submitting their books to Amazon in EPUB format and not exclusively MOBI. They also went on to let us know that Amazon was indeed planning something BIG and that soon the Kindle ereader will have the full capability to read ePub books. This news has been confirmed by at least 4 publishing companies we have spoken with during the last few days.

The Amazon Kindle, for the last six years and more, has exclusively sold books on its Amazon Bookstore in the Mobi format. They also devised applications for major platforms such as Android, iOS, PC, Blackberry, and Windows Phone 7 for reading their books. This insured that if you had purchased a Amazon Kindle e-reader or ebooks from their store, you were locked into the Amazon ecosystem.

Four publishers in the last week have confirmed that Amazon has indeed told them they now have an option to submit eBooks to be listed in the Amazon store in ePub format. Two of the companies we spoke with are very big in the publishing world and spoke to us regarding this new development during an interview in the last few days on a totally different subject. With many companies all telling us the same thing off the record it is confirmed that the Amazon is moving in this direction.

It would make sense that Amazon will continue to distribute books still in MOBI format since they developed the technology and so much of its online infrastructure is based around it. MOBI/AZW is known to have similarities with the ePub data structure and has most of the code embedded into its format. The ePub format is more or less the industry standard for ebook formats and almost every other online ebook store aside from Amazon sells their books in that format. With Amazon embracing ePub technology it further substantiates that ePub is by far the most popular format to read ebooks.

Awesome if true!

Sry for bumping this topic. Mistook it for the official Kindle thread.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
PjotrStroganov said:
Read on Dutch tech site tweakers.net that Amazon told publishers that they are going to support epub.

Edit: original source

Awesome if true!

I know they want to push their own azw format..but if they do update to support epub they'll destroy everyone else.
Great news if true its the one thing holding alot of people I know back from jumping in.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kobo eReader Touch

30hO7.jpg

Yes! Yes!
$130 in USA, $140 in Canada!

Assuming B&N doesn't announce something awesome tomorrow, and there aren't any HD eink displays widely available soon, I'll be buying this new Kobo eReader once this is available.

eua9b.png

Y6JHc.png

LCfiner

the design of that kobo reader is sooo much better than the old version with that horrible large blue nipple on the right side of its face. this one looks much nicer.

and from some video i saw it looks like they implemented a touch tech that doesn't add glare to the display. pretty nifty.

hmmm... I wonder if I should start checking the size of the kobo library here in canada to see how it compares to Kindle.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:
the design of that kobo reader is sooo much better than the old version with that horrible large blue nipple on the right side of its face. this one looks much nicer.

and from some video i saw it looks like they implemented a touch tech that doesn't add glare to the display. pretty nifty.

hmmm... I wonder if I should start checking the size of the kobo library here in canada to see how it compares to Kindle.
there was a version with a black nipple/button. I tried out the Kobo wireless last year but the button was on the wrong side imo. I read often holding a book/iphone with my left hand but I just couldn't reach that Kobo button when holding the device in my usual manner. I hope this works out better.

I'm willing to overlook the eink refresh thingie (although apparently that can be turned off e.g. on the Booken Orizon) just to get a light easy to read device cheap enough to be casually carried around in public. I wish it were a hd eink display though so it'd be good enough for pdfs and comics. *fingers crossed that's what B&N is announcing tomorrow*

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it touch like the new Sonys, with infrared or whatever? Or like the old Sonys, with an extra layer that makes the display distractingly reflective? It's cheap so it may be the latter which is bad.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bboy AJ said:
Is it touch like the new Sonys, with infrared or whatever? Or like the old Sonys, with an extra layer that makes the display distractingly reflective? It's cheap so it may be the latter which is bad.
It's infrared, says so on the website.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Charred Greyface said:
It's infrared, says so on the website.
Oh wow, that is awesome especially considering the price. I hope all future e readers use it. It feels so natural.

SuperPac

That new Nook looks hot. I've been waiting for Amazon to make a touch e-reader and it looks like Barnes & Noble beat them to it. Gotta wonder what Amazon's got planned for later in the year...

LCfiner

SuperPac said:
That new Nook looks hot. I've been waiting for Amazon to make a touch e-reader and it looks like Barnes & Noble beat them to it. Gotta wonder what Amazon's got planned for later in the year...

with the kobo and nook, it looks like Amazon is going to feel some pressure to incorporate that IR touch tech into Kindle 4. If they don't, they will look outdated. not sure how much that matters to them.

Kosmo

Banned
LCfiner said:
with the kobo and nook, it looks like Amazon is going to feel some pressure to incorporate that IR touch tech into Kindle 4. If they don't, they will look outdated. not sure how much that matters to them.

They could also go the route of drastically lowering the price ($49) or even offering it free with a subscription to Amazon Prime - Bezos himself has said something to this effect in the past.

Evlar

Banned
The interesting bit about all this news is it flies in the face of the dire predictions in the wake of Nook Color that e-ink would be pushed to the margins as everyone rushed to build also-ran iPad tablets with a book app.

LCfiner

Kosmo said:
They could also go the route of drastically lowering the price ($49) or even offering it free with a subscription to Amazon Prime - Bezos himself has said something to this effect in the past.

Yup, i think the next Kindle will be cheaper than these offerings. probably 99 even (maybe the ad supported version since it's selling well now). 49 would be kinda nuts I wouldn't put it past them :)

I'm still hanging on to my kindle 2 for now. I would want kindle 4 to get even smaller (and faster) like this nook and the new touch kobo.

edit:

Evlar said:
The interesting bit about all this news is it flies in the face of the dire predictions in the wake of Nook Color that e-ink would be pushed to the margins as everyone rushed to build also-ran iPad tablets with a book app.

that's what I;m happiest about. I like my iPad but I'm also happy that e-ink is successful. although it's fairly clear that ~100 bucks is the price point that makes it work. a 300 dollar e-ink device would tank nowadays.

Blackhead

Redarse
The new nook is running Android 2.1. If it could be hacked to have a cbr/cbz app, that would be great. It's going to be a hard choice between the two, I'll wait for the reviews. Good of b&n to include the release date with the announcement. The new nook touch should be available on June 11th, the kobo touch doesnt have a release date yet (only a promise for a release before Father's day...). More companies should follow the lead of Apple and B&N.

Raistlin

Damn - with the original Nook now priced at $99 and this new, touch-based unit (with Pearl screen) at $139 ... I think they can do some damage.

Hell, if it gets a kindle app I'll probably sell my K3.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd rather not be rubbing my fingers all over the screen every time I want to turn a page. Forget this touch nonsense and keep the buttons.

Raistlin

Sinatar said:
I'd rather not be rubbing my fingers all over the screen every time I want to turn a page. Forget this touch nonsense and keep the buttons.
It has buttons for turning pages :\

You don't have to use the touchscreen for that.

Raistlin said:
Damn - with the original Nook now priced at $99 and this new, touch-based unit (with Pearl screen) at $139 ... I think they can do some damage.

Hell, if it gets a kindle app I'll probably sell my K3.

Eh, unless you're getting this new one and refusing to see what Amazon does it response I don't know why you would spend the money. Even at $99 it's still the outdated model without the pearl eink screens.

Raistlin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Eh, unless you're getting this new one and refusing to see what Amazon does it response I don't know why you would spend the money. Even at $99 it's still the outdated model without the pearl eink screens.
I personally would not get the old one ... just mentioning the price may be right for some.

As far as Amazon, sure I'll wait to see what they bring. Based on history though, I suspect the Nook will be a hackers delight. The odds are higher it will get a Kindle App versus the Kindle being hacked to run the Nook app.

We'll see though.

Raistlin said:
I personally would not get the old one ... just mentioning the price may be right for some.

As far as Amazon, sure I'll wait to see what they bring. Based on history though, I suspect the Nook will be a hackers delight. The odds are higher it will get a Kindle App versus the Kindle being hacked to run the Nook app.

We'll see though.

Ya, you're going to be able to hack easier on the nook. Can't you hack on the old nook? Why did you get a kindle?

Mindlog

I like the Sony PRS350C (still only $120 at Best Buy), but for me it turns out that not having Wi-Fi is a bigger issue that I thought it would be. I'm going to gift it to an eager recipient.

Torn on the Nook vs Kobo. I'm leaning towards the Nook because of the page buttons and some of the possibilities android hacking could bring. The Kobo looked to handle .PDF extremely well. It's probably just going to come down to which feels better in my hand.

Overall I'm very pleased that there are so many excellent options now. The market is maturing beautifully. I hope non-Kindle groups are also putting the leg-work into their stores.

The DX market needs some competition as well! I don't always need a large format e-reader, but when I do... The DX is awesome.

Sleepy

Crap. After researching the new Kobo, I have no fucking idea which e-reader to get. New Kobo looks amazing-- 10 day battery life is a letdown, however. Is that quilted back plastic?

Help me!

How's the Kobo's reputation, generally?

I've got an OG Sony Pocket Reader and it's still trucking along like a tank, but this new hotness is kind of tempting. I'm eyeballing that Kobo. My favorite thing about my little Sony is how small it is and that Kobo is only a quarter inch wider but with an inch more screen. It's kind of tempting.

As much as I'd like to have a hardware button for turning pages, the fatty form factor on the Nook basically puts it out of the picture for me.

I suppose I could always just upgrade to the PRS-350 and get something even trimmer than I already have. I've gotten by just fine without WiFi so far and I don't really see the need for it.

Raistlin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, you're going to be able to hack easier on the nook. Can't you hack on the old nook? Why did you get a kindle?
K3 had better performance.

Now it looks to be the best of both worlds with the new Nook. I'm curious if the new Amazon ePub's will actually run natively on Nook? That would be great because then u can just go by price.

Mindlog said:
I like the Sony PRS350C (still only $120 at Best Buy), but for me it turns out that not having Wi-Fi is a bigger issue that I thought it would be. I'm going to gift it to an eager recipient.

Torn on the Nook vs Kobo. I'm leaning towards the Nook because of the page buttons and some of the possibilities android hacking could bring. The Kobo looked to handle .PDF extremely well. It's probably just going to come down to which feels better in my hand.

Overall I'm very pleased that there are so many excellent options now. The market is maturing beautifully. I hope non-Kindle groups are also putting the leg-work into their stores.

The DX market needs some competition as well! I don't always need a large format e-reader, but when I do... The DX is awesome.

The nook will have a better store for buying stuff directly from the device, and you can still load books from most places onto it. PDF support on the original was good, but will have to wait and see on the new one.

Raistlin

Halycon said:
As others have mentioned using bookmarks should handle what you want.

I should mention though ... the most recent firmware update actually adds page numbers. IIRC the books have to support it though

Evlar

Banned
Raistlin said:
As others have mentioned using bookmarks should handle what you want.

I should mention though ... the most recent firmware update actually adds page numbers. IIRC the books have to support it though
In my experience they've been pushing out page number updates for existing titles at a rapid clip. Several of my big-ass non-fiction books from major publishers have gained page numbers; none of them are very recent publications, either.

Evlar

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Do book update automatically when purchased from amazon or do I have to redownload the book?
The books have to be redownloaded- they always give you the option when a major revision is issued for the Kindle edition of a book you own. Page numbers are NOT part of the book file and can be patched in or updated seamlessly.

Raistlin

Evlar said:
In my experience they've been pushing out page number updates for existing titles at a rapid clip. Several of my big-ass non-fiction books from major publishers have gained page numbers; none of them are very recent publications, either.
Weird - I haven't received any updates ... and I have some pretty popular titles.

Was ready to get a Kindle but then that Nook got announced. Guess I'll wait it out to see how it is at this point as I love the form factor/touch controls ...I dunno, guess I got so used to reading books on my Ipod that touch based page turning is embedded in me head =/

AgentOtaku said:
Was ready to get a Kindle but then that Nook got announced. Guess I'll wait it out to see how it is at this point as I love the form factor/touch controls ...I dunno, guess I got so used to reading books on my Ipod that touch based page turning is embedded in me head =/
I sort of right there with you. The new Nook looks nice, but overall is seems nearly every book is a few bucks cheaper on Amazon for Kindle. Is there a chance that Nook will get a Kindle app? I'd order the new Nook in a heartbeat if I'd still be able to buy off of Amazon, seems unlikely though.

Is there any word of Amazon launching a new player in the near future? Right now I'm still ready to buy a Kindle 3, but if there's going to be a Kindle Touch before the end of the year I'd wait.

Raistlin

dr3upmushroom said:
I sort of right there with you. The new Nook looks nice, but overall is seems nearly every book is a few bucks cheaper on Amazon for Kindle. Is there a chance that Nook will get a Kindle app? I'd order the new Nook in a heartbeat if I'd still be able to buy off of Amazon, seems unlikely though.

Is there any word of Amazon launching a new player in the near future? Right now I'm still ready to buy a Kindle 3, but if there's going to be a Kindle Touch before the end of the year I'd wait.
Actually a Kindle app is not out of the question once it's rooted

Evlar said:
The books have to be redownloaded- they always give you the option when a major revision is issued for the Kindle edition of a book you own. Page numbers are NOT part of the book file and can be patched in or updated seamlessly.

How do I see when a book has been revised? Amazon kindle management page?

Sleepy

AgentOtaku said:

Like the new Nook, as well. Although, I hate the design; it looks like an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom