• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best eInk e-reader right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crazymoogle said:
Actually, Chapters is deceptive - any eBook link you see with them actually sends you to kobobooks.com (makers of the Kobo ereader you see in-store). Their books all use standard Adobe Digital Edition epub or pdf encryption. They are typically the best deal on ebooks I've seen in Canada, though.

That being said, I've never used a Kindle. If they support DE books you should be fine?

Looks like there's a DRM stripper for Adobe Digital Edition ePub and Calibre can handle it once it's DRM free.

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, it's fairly trivial, just didn't know if it was okay to mention by TOS. You do, of course, need a real computer to run the decryption, it's not as simple as just downloading stuff right onto your chosen device directly. I'd argue it's a preferred method for any iPad users that don't want to bother with using Kobo's eReading app though - iBook is much better as a reading platform even if the store is too expensive to take seriously compared to Amazon/Kobo.

EDIT: My only annoyance with the Kobo store is that for some reason, you can only buy one item at a time. Makes things very streamlined when you just want one book right away, but obviously not helpful when you have a whole list of books to buy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
forgeforsaken said:
Oh, if you are already buying books with the Kindle app you definitely want the Kindle then. Books purchased via Amazon can be synced to last page read across all devices wirelessly, so you can read on your Kindle on the beach and your ipad at home if you want.

This is so awesome, honestly.

I read on my Kindle 3 device at home, but I have access to all of my books, exactly where I left off on both my phone and any computer I can install the app on.

If I have downtime at work, I can bring up a window and read where I left off. Outside waiting for something? Need something to do on the toilet? Pop out your phone and pick up where you left off.

It's really quite amazing. I wouldn't consider getting a non-Kindle device. Amazon is sticking around, they have a great store with sales, and you can use Calibre to put pretty much any other form of text file onto your device.

I've done so much more reading since I picked up a Kindle. It's an amazing device, with my only real complaint being that it's not very "snappy". It's perfectly fine for normal reading, though.

Stumpokapow said:
Hitokage mentioned this to me earlier. My brain says "I've got a smartphone, I've got more data than I can ever use", but given that I will be out of country and roaming data would basically bankrupt me, I'm already thinking of ways I could use it. Grumble grumble, maybe I'll end up springing for the Whispernet model if I get a Kindle. Thanks for the input.

Definitely get the 3G version. The convenience of always being connected is worth the extra money. I also love how you can buy Kindle books from Amazon's webpage and send them any of your Kindle devices, so they will be there the next time you pick the device up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
pootle said:
I looked at the sony and kindle and preferred the fonts on the kindle. I can't explain it exactly but they look "thicker" and I find them easier to read.
Exactly, I never thought I'd buy an ereader, but the kindle was the first one that had a font that actually looked like something in a book. I get distracted by computery-looking fonts, and I lose myself easily when I use a kindle.

Frostburn

I'll toss in another vote for the Kindle 3, I really enjoy it and use it almost every day. It just WORKS for books. I only use it to read books and I have ZERO issues with it for doing just that. I also have the Amazon Leather Lighted cover for it and I'm glad I bought it, it adds some bulk but I don't worry about cracking the screen and when I'm in bed I can just pull out the light and read without bothering my girlfriend. During the day I do take it out of the case from time to time just for the lighter weight and it still amazes me how light weight and thin the device is.

Evlar

Banned
Kindle 3 has been a great e-reader for me so far. It's also my first, so there's nothing to compare it against (except trying to read books on iPhone, PDAs, normal computer monitors... and the e-ink is a VASTLY superior experience).

I'd pick Kindle again just because of how nice the page syncing is between all of my devices. Read a couple paragraphs on my phone, a couple pages on the ipad and a few chapters on the kindle and it never misses a beat. It's a tremendous luxury, especially compared to how difficult it is for me to keep podcasts synced properly between multiple devices, for example.

Kindl3. I have it. very awesome to the eyes except maybe if you're outside. idk how people say it's better. i tried reading outside and my eyes just kept flickering. otherwise it's an awesome e-ink reader!

LCfiner

mattiewheels said:
Exactly, I never thought I'd buy an ereader, but the kindle was the first one that had a font that actually looked like something in a book. I get distracted by computery-looking fonts, and I lose myself easily when I use a kindle.

It's seriously a kickass font

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/pmn-caecilia/

6C5qe.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just got a kindle 3. It's amazing. I previously had the DX, which I managed to sell and get the kindle 3 for not much extra cash.

it's brilliant, the contrast is amazing, the page turns are quick.

Do yourself a favour and spring for the rather expensive, but OUTSTANDING leather case with the light built in. I thought the light was a silly little gimmick until I used it. My god, such a clever idea.

For ease of putting non amazon stuff on there, it's too easy. Calibre is amazing.

EDITAGAIN: Don't get the whispernet model, the price diff isn't worth it. Just load it once before travel, or find a wifi. The web-browsing is shit on them (but you have a tablet anyway)

My Kindle 3 just arrived in the mail today. Been reading Bossypants and loving it.

I also own a Tablet and can't imagine using it to read anymore.

Fireye

Kindle 3. It has terrific responsiveness, great screen contrast, and you can hack it for fun! As long as you don't have to read any PDFs, I think the Kindle3 is just fine.

Stumpokapow said:
Not really a problem; if I get a Kindle, I can still buy eBooks from Chapters (which IIRC are DRM-free ePub) and use Calibre to convert them. Not sure about the Sony store. Also right now I choose between the Kindle store and iBooks and for most things the Kindle store is cheaper, even in Canada, so I feel comfortable enough with the pricing/availability.

If this is the case, then your best bet is a Kindle. I work at an Indigo, and while the Kobo is good, the Kindle is simply a better tech product. Converting with Calibre or other programs is easy enough so thats really not an issue if you are at all tech savvy. Both of them work really well in the sun. The only issue with Kindle would be buying books when youre on a trip. Kobo store has access to over 2.25 million books, kindle is less than 700k.

edit
Crazymoogle said:
Actually, Chapters is deceptive - any eBook link you see with them actually sends you to kobobooks.com (makers of the Kobo ereader you see in-store). Their books all use standard Adobe Digital Edition epub or pdf encryption. They are typically the best deal on ebooks I've seen in Canada, though.

Its not deceptive, chapters/indigo owns a controlling stake in Kobobooks, its basically our company. When you buy from kobobooks the program binds to your account and integrates into the kobo software. When you purchase a book though you can download the individual file and it is rights protected, but as has been stated, its exceedingly easy to strip it. I dont tell people that obviously because most of the people who buy kobos are not particularly computer savvy.

As for the sony readers, the touch screen makes it hard to read in the sun light. I've used tons of different e-readers, and I just dont think the sony products are any good. Kindles response time is not lightning fast but not even close to being an inconvienience. On the sony's the touch screen is layered over top of the e-ink screen which creates shitty refraction. Kindle and Kobo don't have this problem. As for the other e-readers like pen digital or the felatio (double edit: literati, complete piece of shit) or something some stupid music name, they are just flash in the pan and lack technical or business support. There are over 25 different kinds of e-readers, and only a handful of them are any good. I sincerely suggest you get a kindle. I know what im talking about.

I'm rather fond of my Sony PRS-300. The thing I like best is that it's way smaller than most of the readers available. It's the same width as a mass-market paperback and almost an inch shorter. Makes it really nice to carry with me everywhere. I don't mind that there's no attached bookstore. I'm clever enough to sort that out myself and manage it through Calibre. Plus with custom firmware you can replace the fonts and do some other cool stuff.

The value proposition isn't great when comparing the Sony models on features, though. You definitely get more for your money with a Kindle. But if I could get one for under $100, I'd definitely consider a PRS-350 to replace my 300 sometime in the future.

Kindle of course. It's all about the store and the content delivery system--the hardware as far as e-readers goes is not as important. (Luckily the Kindle3 has good hardware and is cheap (especially the wifi model)). Nobody can beat Amazon.

I'd love to get a kindle, but I go out of my way to buy bigger books. The kindle screen is about the size of a mass market paper back book. I prefer the size of hardcovers. Is the price difference between the 189 model and the DX worth it just for the size? Or will it end up being over kill?

*edit* I'd also probably read the times on it.

Fatalah

I'm on the verge of buying the Kindle 3 as a gift, but the lack of native ePub support is making me hesitate. The Nook supports ePub right out of the box -- the format used by public libraries.

Is the Amazon store what makes the Kindle 3 so much better than the Nook? The hardware seems really comparable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do not buy anything without a Pearl screen. Therefore, it's the Kindle 3 or the new Sonys.

Now decide whether wifi access is important to you. It should be since you can load books and newspapers wirelessly. Kindle.

Now, 3G or wifi Kindle? Do you travel a lot? Will there be no wifi? Will you subscribe to newspapers? Check out calibre and how it'll automatically send you newspapers for free and wirelessly to your Kindle. Amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Narrowed it down to a Kindle 3 or a Sony 650. Decided I liked WiFi and saving a few hundred bucks so chose the Kindle. Decided I didn't need 3G because I don't travel internationally too often and if I'm domestic I have my phone's 3G.

As a result:

Wads said:
I love the Kindle 3, but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. Matter of fact, it's just been sitting unused for months. If anybody is interested, I'm selling one in the buy sell trade thread. If it's not allowed, I'll remove this link.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2389

^^^ Bought this guy's Kindle 3, Paypalled him today.

Will probably bump again when Wads' package arrives. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
catfish said:
EDITAGAIN: Don't get the whispernet model, the price diff isn't worth it. Just load it once before travel, or find a wifi. The web-browsing is shit on them (but you have a tablet anyway)

Not worth it for you, maybe. I access my Kindle books on at least three different devices. Having all of them constantly connected to the Internet at all times makes it a really seamless experience.

Is there any expected date for the next revision of the kindle to come out? And isn't whispersync just it sync across devices? So all of them have whispersync as long as your by wifi for it to update right?

Nice deal Stump!

Phobophile said:
Really? You don't have enough patience to just wait a few minutes?
It's not really about that. If I'm traveling, carrying my book isn't more of an inconvenience to me than carrying my reader. All things being equal, I still prefer to have the one that I can have "turned on" the whole time. Plus, depending on how choppy the flight is, keeping a book in my face keeps me from getting antsy while landing. What's it to you anyway?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any expected date for the next revision of the kindle to come out? And isn't whispersync just it sync across devices? So all of them have whispersync as long as your by wifi for it to update right?
Yeah I was wondering this too. Though it seems like it's been at least a couple revisions since I've been waiting for the "next Kindle" but I swear I'll get it this time! I heard it's gonna be 3D and full color!

AstroLad said:
Yeah I was wondering this too. Though it seems like it's been at least a couple revisions since I've been waiting for the "next Kindle" but I swear I'll get it this time! I heard it's gonna be 3D and full color!

I just want one before I have to live in Germany in August so if there won't be anything for a while I'd rather get one now and start using it.

Fireye

AstroLad said:

I don't expect Amazon to put out a color Kindle any time soon, the tech for color e-ink is so young, it isn't ready for mass market. It hasn't even been a year since the kindle3, so MAYBE there'll be a new announcement later this year. If anything, I'd guess it would feature a higher resolution screen that supports better greyscale.

Suairyu

Banned
Be warned that eReaders can be very fragile. The Kindle can't take much abuse at all - you so much as put it down funny the eInk screen will crack and then half the screen will be forever frozen. Amazon is very inconsistent about whether or not they replace such damages under warranty; you have to catch the right person on the right day on the the end of the phone.

So basically, get a heavy duty wallet for it and treat it like a slate of thin, brittle glass. Which it is.

Despite this, I'd still heartily recommend one. As a general experience for reading fiction novels (reference books are a whole other kettle of fish and will forever be best in paper form), I find e-reading on a kindle better than reading a book.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnakeswithLasers said:
Astrolad, there's always the free Kindle to Amazon Prime subscribers RUMOR that's been going around.
Oh hmm hadn't heard that. I've been Prime since it rolled out so I don't want no stinkin' ad-supported Kindle or anything!

And I was just joking about the color thing you crazy Kindlelovers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing bad about the kindle is that while it has a keyboard, there isn't even a simple note taking thing on it. As a non-smartphone user, it becomes rather silly to have to log on to a website just to type "pick up Milk" into a text file in the cloud.

vazel

Banned
Suairyu said:
Be warned that eReaders can be very fragile. The Kindle can't take much abuse at all - you so much as put it down funny the eInk screen will crack and then half the screen will be forever frozen. Amazon is very inconsistent about whether or not they replace such damages under warranty; you have to catch the right person on the right day on the the end of the phone.

So basically, get a heavy duty wallet for it and treat it like a slate of thin, brittle glass. Which it is.

Despite this, I'd still heartily recommend one. As a general experience for reading fiction novels (reference books are a whole other kettle of fish and will forever be best in paper form), I find e-reading on a kindle better than reading a book.
That hasn't been my experience at all. My Kindle has been through so much abuse. It's been dropped and had objects dropped on it(including my weights after I was done exercising and I accidently set them down on top of my Kindle). All my Kindle has to show for it is three light scratches. I'd still get a case for it though that was a mistake on my part in not getting one.
firehawk12 said:
The only thing bad about the kindle is that while it has a keyboard, there isn't even a simple note taking thing on it. As a non-smartphone user, it becomes rather silly to have to log on to a website just to type "pick up Milk" into a text file in the cloud.
Yea this should be built into the firmware but there's an app for it now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LSLN0I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Suairyu

Banned
vazel said:
That hasn't been my experience at all. My Kindle has been through so much abuse. It's been dropped and had objects dropped on it(including my weights after I was done exercising and I accidently set them down on top of my Kindle). All my Kindle has to show for it is three light scratches. I'd still get a case for it though that was a mistake on my part in not getting one.
K3 especially. But it's a fact of the technology, it is, at the end of the day, a thin piece of non-reinforced glass. That shit is easy to crack.

Like, my iPhone has been through a ton of abuse, right? It's been dropped from multiple stories, it's landed in puddles, it's been trod on, sat on, everything on. Not a mark to show for it. Then one day I drop it from the smallest distance by accident as I'm sitting down and the whole screen shatters.

For every moment up until the moment it broke, I had been lucky.

Kindles are very easy to break. Google-fu it to see lots of people experiencing it. You've been lucky.

And that's fine - expensive technology should be taken care of anyway. But I would prefer if they made the next revision slightly more robust.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
i bought a sony prs 350 since i hate the size/formfactor (keyboard) of the kindle3. with touchscreen the sony gets as small as it gets and is very portable.i dont need wifi/3G on a thing like this since i have some books on it now, and they will last for quite some time. if you need newspaper/news etc. then you most def. need 3G.

I am a big Nook fan. However.....Kindle is the best E Ink reader right now.

I think the Nook is the best general Ereader though.

ShinNL

I don't know how different the 650 is, but I owned the Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600) and it was no good. The touch screen was useless for what it did: add a crap ton of glare for any light that isn't direct sunlight. Even indoors during the day it never resembled paper: it looked more like those old black&white Palm devices.

The design of the device was nice, but that's about the only good thing I remember. A huge problem I had with the PRS-600 was that it had to re-index everything each time I changed something. Somehow with manga it ended up indexing for 3 hours. That's right, you add 1 thing, like news, you have to start the device for 3 hours before you can even do something. I guess it's the manga that makes it so ridiculously long, but it's still sloppy software nonetheless for indexing all the time. I doubt the 650 will be much different.

Drewsky

Kindle for sure. I have the Kindle 2 and love it, Kindle 3 must be amazing if they've improved anything at all. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom