• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Memes That Originated From Games or Gaming?

Cw1bD9J.jpg

PKrockin

Chad Warden can't be beat. I remember so many Nintendo fans in particular getting their panties in a bunch over that video it was beautiful.

SalvaPot

I always loved the Nintendo hype threads, and now that the Nintendo Direct's are back we are getting more and more stuff to be happy about. We will miss Iwata for sure but he will always live on.

2383306-7673494777-Ninte.gif

Barkley Shut Up & Jam Gaiden's main theme revitalized the popularity of the Space Jam theme.

Anytime there's a mashup with Space Jam, you see Charles Barkley's face in there instead of anything actually related to the film.
The film was crap anyway.

P.S.
My favorite is Wonderball 101
maxresdefault.jpg

TAY7rrd.jpg

This was pretty dead-on for the time. But Super Paper Mario loved trolling the player the whole way through, so it fits right in.

Eila

is there a list of games with an NoE original translation? I might start importing from Europe for freedom from memes

Most of them, as wasteful as that sounds. Just politics in a worldwide company. Many have the spanish and french language options in Europe but not in America.

That was 8-4 tho

I have read conflicting information on that. Joint venue, 8-4 was mostly in charge of the dub, etc. Nintendo like to keep quiet so not counting on someone to clarify that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Most of them, as wasteful as that sounds. Just politics in a worldwide company. Many have the spanish and french language options in Europe but not in America.

I have read conflicting information on that. Joint venue, 8-4 was mostly in charge of the dub, etc. Nintendo like to keep quiet so not counting on someone to clarify that.

Well, just gotta wait to see the credits then to see who's all involved, I guess.

Regiruler

IGN reaction guys
Anything involving MGS (nanomachines, fiddle, WHOOO)
DID SOMEONE SAY THUNDERFURY, BLESSED BLADE OF THE WINDSEEKER
Expand Dong
PS3 has no games (the age of sony is done)

Weegee, All your base, and YTP material in general are also good choices but also a lot older than the rest of the stuff in this thread

213372bu

Banned
Behold the semi-obscure origin of "Jake Scoping", and eventually, Montage Parodies : JakeMachinima.

There used to be an active channel called Machinima Respawn. For those that don't know, Machinima Respawn was the birthplace of Shooter montages,YT channel w/ dedicated content to gaming, and *GASP* people being paid to talk over gameplay.

At first the gates were open, and everyone wanted to be "sponsored" by Machinima Respawn, and pretty much tons of crap littered the entire channel. One such channel was JakeMachinima, a channel sporing the name Machinima before even officially being sponsored.
--

JakeMachinima was the absolute epitome of shitty montage videos, his OG channel was deleted that had tons of gold videos. This guy became the source of tons of scandals including lying about his age for sponsorship, getting his friends to AFK or stay stupid shit on chat for "FUNNY VIDEOS" and more.

But this wasn't enough. "Quick scoping", shooting immediately after aiming, was becoming popular, but Jake's videos were known for "long scoping", which meant taking a while to scope and shooting.

In a desperate attempt to gain more views, JakeMachinima started producing montages where he would literally spend minutes setting up a shot, and then finally get a kill. The hilarious thing was that the time count was showing the whole time, so people caught onto the fact that he was just cutting clips after several minutes of staying in the same place to make it look like he had skill.

After the huge scandal, people started catching onto JakeMachinima and started making parodies of Jake with "Jake Scoping" videos, which at the time was huge.
But more importantly, it drew attention to a hilarious amount overused filters, shitty after-effects stuff, and horrible/staged gameplay which slowly transformed to what we know today as "montage parodies".
--
The More You Know.

Moonkid

The Dawn of War series lended itself to some great ones, such as METAL BAWXES!? and the classic steel rehn.

Neogaf just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about internet culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in outside world where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over in Neogaf, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Neogaf members, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Neogaf Gold for their account, nor will they purchase any of Neogaf merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Neogaf has alienated an entire market with this move.

Neogaf, publicly apologize and announce free Neogaf Gold membership or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Top Bottom