• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Playstation Game of all Time has been decided.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I really dont agree with any of these for myself but the poll has spoken.

My personal choices do not dictate those of everyone else.

Im not joking here but I thought we would see some of the games that helped launch PS1 more like battle arena toshinden and Tekken. Im not saying MGS and FF7 were not massive, just that I thought we would see them higher up. I guess im not looking at it the same way as others.

Jay Sosa

I really dont agree with any of these for myself but the poll has spoken.

My personal choices do not dictate those of everyone else.

Im not joking here but I thought we would see some of the games that helped launch PS1 more like battle arena toshinden and Tekken. Im not saying MGS and FF7 were not massive, just that I thought we would see them higher up. I guess im not looking at it the same way as others.

Yep it's amazing how popular that game was back then but nowadays is almost completely forgotten. Not that it was any good, especially compared to Tekken and Soul Blade.

Garlador

crash-bandicoot-44-o.gif

Honestly, I'm surprised people still care so much about Crash. I mean, I liked the games too, but I never consider his games "greatest PS1 games of all time" material.

I'm pleasant surprised he still has that much support. Honestly expected Resident Evil 2 or Tomb Raider to be way ahead of him.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
But Crash Bandicoot 2 is the best Crash. :|

Anyway, can't say I agree with the list. I missed it at the time, but I played MGS all the way through three weeks ago, and actively dislike it. Played MGS2 the week after and thought it was really good. Heck, I played Metal Gear the week before and had a better time. MGS1 just makes too many bad design decisions--ones that aren't due to technology limitations or the standards of the time--for me to like it.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's okay to not like crash, but were people living in a cave during the last two decades? Go check out the top 5 selling PSN classics every month, that list is almost always FFVII, and then three Crash games, usually Crash 1 and Crash 3, with the third one being either Crash 2 or CTR. The fifth game in the top 5 is usually some PS1 game that was on sale.

Crash has always been popular, and it never stopped being popular if you look at the sales.

EDIT: I voted for MGS and Ape Escape, yes TPP influenced my vote.

MGS 1 aged like shit so did Resident Evil 1/2 and Tom Raider 1 and basically every other early 3D game. But this isn't a list of games that play great in 2015 it's a list of the greatest PS1 games and Crash 1 is easily amongst those. All I'm saying is I don't get the argument that it's shitty cause it aged poorly. Back then it was one of the greatest titles available and that is all that matters.

Crash was so fucking amazing it even made it on the Simpsons.

Crash 1 didn't just age poorly; it aged into a bad game during the Playstation's lifespan, when the sequel came out one year later. Historical importance does not offset that to anywhere near a degree that justifies placing it not only above those sequels, but as the number 3 game on the whole system.

Timeaisis

Hmm...I've never seen that version of the cover for FFIX. I think they might have messed up with the numbering. It says "VII" instead for some reason.

fhqwhgads

You would think that at #3 an 4 that Sony would start giving a shit about bringing Crash back to life. Who owns the Crash rights now, Sierra?
Activision. They did a few games which were just random games with Crash's name slapped onto it and then they've left the franchise to rot ever since.

Jay Sosa

Crash 1 didn't just age poorly; it aged into a bad game during the Playstation's lifespan, when the sequel came out one year later. Historical importance does not offset that to anywhere near a degree that justifies placing it not only above those sequels, but as the number 3 game on the whole system.

Yeah, well, we agree to disagree then.

the evil empire of videogame publishers known as Activision

Activision. They did a few games which were just random games with Crash's name slapped onto it and then they've left the franchise to rot ever since.

Ah, that's a shame that Activision has it. I remember the few random games that tried to cash in on Crash's name but didn't realize how many hands the IP has been in. Activision would probably give no shits about reviving Crash or selling its IP to someone who could do it justice.

Well, I'm glad MGS was #1. Would have also liked to see Suikoden II and Xenogears on the list, but whatever. I had no idea Crash was so popular!

DrD

I voted for SotN and Spyro 3. I was expecting Crash to win given its popularity but it looks like the votes were split between 1 and 3 which may have kept it from winning.

Jay Sosa

Are you guys seriously surprised that SOTN isn't on the list?

SOTN

Total Units

North America: 0.58m 45.8%
+ Europe: 0.40m 31.1%
+ Japan: 0.21m 16.5%
+ Rest of the World: 0.08m 6.5%
= Global 1.27m

Crash 1

Total Units

North America: 3.23m 47.4%
+ Europe: 2.35m 34.5%
+ Japan: 0.94m 13.8%
+ Rest of the World: 0.30m 4.4%
= Global 6.82m

Weiss

Banned
Which of you jerks voted for two separate Crash games?

MGS and FF7 kind of automatically deserve a spot, but no SotN? Lies. Lies and slander.

For those who are in disbelief of Crash being on that list:

Remember that Crash used to be for Sony what Mario is for Nintendo and Sonic for Sega. Sony didn't start out with a "mascot" but Crash kind of filled that void for a long while. Even after so many years, despite the IP bring sold a handful of times and the lackluster games we've gotten since, it was a character that at one point represented what PlayStation stood for imo.

Terranwolf

Neo Member
Crash 2 should have been #3 while the other two games not in the top 5 on the system. Not sure why 1 or even Warped made it.

WipEout 1 was a great game in its own right. The theme of it, as well as the soundtrack, was way better than all but HD in my honest opinion. They didn't even put it onto the list! I had to write that one in.

Symphony of the Night not on the list either was a little surprising.

Top Bottom