• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Playstation Game of all Time has been decided.

Grisby

Sure, I'll buy the first two. Was never a huge Crash fan so I can't comment on them.

It's funny and sad at the same time..

q2ekgwv185xy.png

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/644943366048890880
He's always on top of things.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Proper list:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Symphony of the Night
3. Suikoden 2
4. Vagrant Story
5. Front Mission 3

Accept no substitutes.

fhqwhgads

So is Crash Bandicoot the same as Sonic where we're getting the "Oh the series was never good you're all blinded by nostalgia" posts? Granted this is NeoGAF where according to GAF Hivemind™ Naughty Dog never made a good game until Uncharted, so I can expect this response.

Also never got why a platformer is seen as bad if it doesn't have enough pure platforming levels. All the levels in Crash 3 have some form of platforming aside from underwater stages, and even then there's only like two of them in the game.

So is Crash Bandicoot the same as Sonic where we're getting the "Oh the series was never good you're all blinded by nostalgia" posts? Granted this is NeoGAF where according to GAF Hivemind™ Naughty Dog never made a good game until Uncharted, so I can expect this response.

Also never got why a platformer is seen as bad if it doesn't have enough pure platforming levels. All the levels in Crash 3 have some form of platforming aside from underwater stages, and even then there's only like two of them in the game.

No people are just salty because Crash is taking up 2 spots in the top 5 and some people prefer Crash 2 over 1 and 3.

Wtf is this salt regarding Crash? 1 and 3 are great games that totally deserves to be on this list. You may like some other games more, but hey, it was a poll and people voted this way. It doesn't mean Symphony of the Night or Silent Hill are all of a sudden terrible games.

Kei-

"Insert your favourite game here" should have won. Haha so many people in this thread upset that others don't like what they like as much as they do.

Petrae

Metal Gear Solid got a bump from MGSV being recently released and at the fore of most voters' minds. Had FFVIIr or a new Crash Bandicoot game recently been released instead, the results would have been different.

Symphony of the Night not making the Top 4 is mindblowing, but it goes to show just how irrelevant the Castlevania series has become.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Crash was always awesome, i remember first getting that underground demo disk with all the games and playing the Crash 1 demo over and over again on Christmas day

Crash 1 through 3 are some of my greatest Playstation memories as a kid.

To all the haters, you salt makes me more powerful :p

PseudoViper

#3 and #4 are definitely correct. I'm willing to even say #1.

But #2 idk, if I could agree. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's NOT the best.

Even though I completely disagree why should that matter?

Because this is a list of the BEST games on the system? Crash Bandicoot is not a good game now and was probably only considered a good game then because there wasn't much else to compare it to, especially and including its hugely superior sequels.

Crash Bandicoot games are regularly topping the PSN Classic charts and people are really surprised they're in the top 5....

Still 2>>>>>>>>

I adore the Crash Bandicoot games, but if two deserved to be in the top 4 it was Crash 2 and Crash Team Racing.

I've never played through all of MGS but I know it's a good choice for number 1, and while I never liked FFVII post Midgar, it's FFVII. It'd be like OoT not coming 1st or 2nd in a top N64 game list.

Hell, I'm surprised one of the Crash games got on the list, let alone two. I would have thought people would have voted for more 'obscure' Japanese games like Suikoden II, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, which while they were apparently good (never played them myself) they weren't huge global hits. Personally though, my top 4 PS1 games list from an overall point of view, and not just games I like, would be:

Crash Bandicoot
MGS
FFVII
Tomb Raider

Each of those were huge for the Playstation, as well as industry and genre defining. The sequels to most of them were better, but those 4 defined the Playstation/5th generation of gaming.

hemo memo

All the FF7 talk I want to play that game.. no remaster on PS4 and it'll be a while before we see the early in development remake.

Jay Sosa

Because this is a list of the BEST games on the system? Crash Bandicoot is not a good game now and was probably only considered a good game then because there wasn't much else to compare it to, especially and including its hugely superior sequels.

Back then it was so fucking amazing it made many people including myself buy a PS1. That should be reason enough to be on the list. And the sequels weren't hugely superior at all. On GAF maybe.

fhqwhgads

Back then it was so fucking amazing it made many people including myself buy a PS1. That should be reason enough to be on the list. And the sequels weren't hugely superior at all. On GAF maybe.
I'd say the Crash games still hold up and each one have their own merits.
Crash 1 is best known for how difficult it was, it's not an easy game by any means and easily the hardest out of the three.
Crash 2 is GAF's fav for being the most focused pure platformer, very little give in terms of level design and mostly focused around running and jumping.
Crash 3 is known for it's variety, plenty of different level types to keep players interested, though it isn't popular with some as they feel it doesn't have enough simple platforming and too many vehicle segments (Thankfully there's not real duds, even the weaker stuff like the jet ski and the underwater levels are fairly decent)

So you don't believe actual quality matters in a list that uses a word that describes quality in the title. And I'd call it hugely superior when they actually figured out where to put the camera and how to design the levels so that the actual act of platforming wasn't infuriating.

Hasney

Yeah, I'm down for 1 and 2.

I never liked Crash. I played the demo and the lamented the fact I sold my Mega Drive for this as a platformer.

DrkSage

instead of crash bandicoot at #3 it should have been Spyro.

edit: #1 and #2 are ok, #3 should have been spyro the dragon and #4 should have been crash 2

1 and 2 were expected (really wished for FF9 over FF7 though) and I'm kinda surprised to see Crash twice in the big leagues. Crash 3 was my favourite of those two anyway :p

Would be interesting to see a top 10/20 list from that poll.

Jay Sosa

So you don't believe actual quality matters in a list that uses a word that describes quality in the title. And I'd call it hugely superior when they actually figured out where to put the camera and how to design the levels so that the actual act of platforming wasn't infuriating.

MGS 1 aged like shit so did Resident Evil 1/2 and Tom Raider 1 and basically every other early 3D game. But this isn't a list of games that play great in 2015 it's a list of the greatest PS1 games and Crash 1 is easily amongst those. All I'm saying is I don't get the argument that it's shitty cause it aged poorly. Back then it was one of the greatest titles available and that is all that matters.

Crash was so fucking amazing it even made it on the Simpsons.

Griss

the salt over crash is salty in this thread

GO CRASH GO!

Salty? Why would I be the salty one here?
My favourite franchises aren't dead.

Well, except for Wipeout. And F-Zero. And Wave Race. And Metal Gear from now on. Ah fuck it, my favourite franchises ARE dead, and I'm salty as hell about Crash winning anything.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Probably already stated a dozen times. But its funny how the best game gets put to an end, and the 3&4 game mascot are nowhere to be found in 2015.

Top Bottom