• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Playstation Game of all Time has been decided.

Joey Ravn

Banned
MGS, sure. I think I like 3 better, but 1 holds up perfectly even today.

FFVII? I don't like it, but I see why some people do.

But can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Crash Bandicoot series? It has always looked boring, even bad, to me. I must be missing something, for sure.

Someone needs to buy the Metal Gear IP, hire Kojima and assemble a quality team for him to work with. And then force him to work within a regular triple A sized budget...

Or just let Kojima create something new, instead of forcing him to work on the Metal Gear franchise for the rest of his life.

Axass

MGS and FFVII totally deserved it (I'd put VII over Solid though), but two Crash Bandicoots in the top 4 is a travesty.

Off the top of my head:

- Resident Evil 1 / 2
- FFVIII / FFIX
- Silent Hill
- Tekken 3
- Xenogears
- FFT
- Gran Turismo 2
- Tomb Raider 1-3
- Symphony of the Night
- Soul Reaver
- Ape Escape
- Soul Blade
- Tomba 1 / 2
- Abe's Oddysee / Exoddus
- Parappa the Rapper
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Wipeout series

flattie

Today, on GAF, I have learned:

1. That some people expect Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 in 2016.

2. That there are people who take exception to some journo pointing out that Xenoblade is unlikely to shift Wii U consoles.

3. That there is some genuine shock around the fact that Sony won't be selling PS VR for for the price of a second-hand Wii.

...and now

4. That Crash is considered one of the top three PlayStation games.

Truly, every day is a school day.

mhayes86

I'm happy to see MGS get #1, though I would have expected FFVII to get it. Echoing some others, I'm surprised Symphony of the Night didn't make the list. Two, not one, but two Crash games though?

liquidtmd

Banned
MGS, sure. I think I like 3 better, but 1 holds up perfectly even today.

FFVII? I don't like it, but I see why some people do.

But can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Crash Bandicoot series? It has always looked boring, even bad, to me. I must be missing something, for sure.

It's weird - I never 'got' Bandicoot, even at the time. It was a solidish platformer, it is but even then it felt a cynical attempt at mascot-ism with the continual TV ads they ran and some of the die hard it attracts is scary.

I am ok with MGS taking #1

FFVII isn't my favorite of the PS1 FF games, but I can't argue the spot because of how beloved it is to those who grew up with it as their first major RPG. (Tactics or IX should be on there instead IMO)

No Crash game should be on that list. Good games, but nowhere near the best...not when the system had SotN, Xenogears, Spyro 2, or Resident Evil 2.

ViciousDS

Banned
those legend of dragoon comments on the blog

tumblr_lvpnk1GIsq1qf91leo1_250.gif

so good

Pejo

Gold Member
Two Crash games in the top 5 seems really weird. I really really expected SOTN to be higher, or at least RE1.

BroBot

I was expecting MGS before I even opened the thread. Happy to see Crash made it. I bet Crash 3 made it because of that amazing N. Gin boss fight.

liquidtmd

Banned
Two Crash games in the top 5 seems really weird. I really really expected SOTN to be higher, or at least RE1.

Two Crash games bring above Resident Evil 1 and 2 is fucking bananas. Hell Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 should have beaten Crash.

byropoint

Surprised to see two Crash Bandicoot games up there, MGS and FFVII were pretty much guaranteed. I wish they released a longer list though, top 10 or 20.

Cptkrush

I played MGS1 for the first time about 8 months ago. Fucking fantastic game, definitely the best PS1 game I've ever played.

Can't argue with number 1, it's my pick as well.
FF7 in the top 3 was a given.
Crash games don't deserve to be that high, as good as they are.

Sez

Today, on GAF, I have learned:

1. That some people expect Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 in 2016.

2. That there are people who take exception to some journo pointing out that Xenoblade is unlikely to shift Wii U consoles.

3. That there is some genuine shock around the fact that Sony won't be selling PS VR for for the price of a second-hand Wii.

...and now

4. That Crash is considered one of the top three PlayStation games.

Truly, every day is a school day.

Read the destiny threads too, there are some valuable info there.

And lol to no Gran Turismo.

Bulzeeb

If this poll didn't take place at the week MGS5 is releasing then FFVII would have won.

not sure, as others have stated before, Square had a lot of competition with its other games (I'll take 8 and 9 over 7 for example), unlike MGS fans, they only had one candidate to vote for

Final Fantasy fans... *shakes head*

It's either:

-mad that FFVII didn't get #1
-mad that whatever precious snowflake favorite FF of theirs was outvoted by FFVII

FFVII is and will probably forever be the most popular (was this poll ever really about "best"?) FF in the series. If you love FFVII, there's no shame in the game getting second place out of all the great PS games on the list. If you think FFVII is overrated, chances are your favorite FF is overrated by its particular fans, too. Your favorite PS1 FF just happened to get outvoted by the most popular FF in the series. Deal with it, because it's going to happen again. And again. Ad nauseam.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MGS being No.1 makes sense PlayStation fans do prefer their movies.

MGS is a good choice for number 1.

Crash 1 is has no buisness in that list though. That series didn't get good until 2, but even then lots of games are better than that.

Crash 1 is ranked higher than SOTN, I don't even...

Jay Sosa

This once again proves how crazy most of GAF* is (in saying that Crash 2 is better than Crash 1 for instance)

And yeah.."normal" people absolutely loved Crash (and still do) it easily deserves to be in the Top 5.

*not that I mind

btw:

Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy 7
Crash 1
Star Ocean 2

The first Crash Bandicoot has aged very, VERY poorly. The sequels actually remain playable to this day, but the first is a fucking mess with frustrating camera angles and bad level design.

Bl@de

I can accept the first two but Crash? Nah ... Silent Hill or RE2 should be there and everyone knows it.

Top Bottom