• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestbuy just cancelled by new 3DS XL Majora's Mask order

baphomet

And you're blaming Nintendo for what's likely Best Buy's mistake? Wow.

Lol, its Nintendo's fault for not actually making enough for their loyal customers who want them. Its fucking ignorant of them. Instead of making enough so everyone who wants one can get one, they directly support scalpers buying them and flipping them for 3-4 times the retail cost.

Take a sick day, or don't get the console. Nintendo does not have to accommodate everyone's schedule. They will make as many as they decide available, and those who are able to get it, will get it.

You can still get a regular console and play all the same games with all the same features just fine. I also have a job, my job just happens to be extremely flexible on scheduling (startup), so I can do shit like this. I still woke up at 5am PST to sit through the direct and order one when they went up right after.

Not everyone is entitled to get one ahead of life/professional responsibilities. Everyone knew they would be announced at the direct, and that was announced a couple of days ahead of time. Anyone who was even remotely following Nintendo new knew this.

Ahahahahahaha

This is some "Work more hours to pay for it!" kind of bullshit logic

I'm glad YOUR life and YOUR circumstances enabled YOU to get lucky enough to be there at the right time and place. Not everyone is afforded that opportunity, and taking a sick day or skirting any other responsibilities one may have isn't quite that simple. Especially over a fucking video game console. Guess that means I'm not a "dedicated fan"

vazel

Banned
If I get my order cancelled I'm not going to buy anymore Nintendo games for the next couple years, I'll use gamefly to play those games instead. This Majora's Mask and amiibo scarcity stuff is really annoying me.

Edit: And yes, I'm blaming Nintendo, not Best Buy, since it's Nintendo that is making so few of them.

Dineren

Banned
I didn't receive an email, but I logged onto the site and my order has been cancelled as well. I'm not really surprised since I had logged on pretty late. I did make the mistake of cancelling a MH4 3ds when I received my Best Buy order confirmation :\. I guess I'm stuck with a regular version this time around.

finalflame

Gold Member
You seriously can't be serious when you say this. Not everyone is able to schedule their day/week/whatever on the possibility of buying something that is actually limited like you're able to. It must be nice to have that ability to do that (I guess), but don't be an ass about it

I'm not being an ass, I am making a point that when you have real life responsibilities (and many of us do), you'll have to accept you can't get everything you want.

What if instead of a Nintendo console, this was tickets to a highly sought after performance/sports event? When my university's rivalry game tickets went up, we had 30 seconds to buy them, if we were lucky. If you weren't sitting in front of your computer F5ing, you weren't getting any. 2 out of 4 years I was sitting in a lab when that happened with no access to technology, so I had to buy them scalped if I wanted to go. That's just life.

Ahahahahahaha

I'm glad YOUR life and YOUR circumstances enabled YOU to get lucky enough to be there at the right time and place. Not everyone is afforded that opportunity, and taking a sick day or skirting any other responsibilities one may have isn't quite that simple. Especially over a fucking video game console. Guess that means I'm not a "dedicated fan"

If not everyone is afforded the opportunity, than not everyone can get one. I don't see a problem with this.

Lol, its Nintendo's fault for not actually making enough for their loyal customers who want them. Its fucking ignorant of them. Instead of making enough so everyone who wants one can get one, they directly support scalpers buying them and flipping them for 3-4 times the retail cost.

It's not "enough for the loyal fans" because you and a handful of other GAFfers didn't get one. Many people, who are also loyal fans, did.

But I agree that scalpers suck. Nothing anyone can really do about that, any limited item ever will be scalped. How many LE 20th Anniversary PS4's are for sale on eBay for > $1000? And those were sold (as far as I know) via only one channel and announced ahead of time. Don't see anyone bitching.

Vitacat

BB has done the same with my order. I called CS and the guy said they are getting many calls on this. He advised that "BB is not recieving this item at all and they are doing mass cancellation of all orders"

Holy crap. They better not cancel mine damn it.

Resilient

Great. Replying to posts you don't agree with by using just gif. They are somewhat right, Nintendo has been treating their customers in the US like shit when it comes to these Limited products, and not only Limited Editions, Amiibos and the GCN are other examples of how crappy their distribution system for certain items has been. And no, this is not about "Nintendo actually making the Limited in Limited Edition matter", they could easily release a larger batch, the demand is there, a couple thousand consoles would still be considered Limited.

Nintendo apparently hate both their customers and money.

Use the money to buy something from a company who doesn't hate you instead.

wowwwwwww. Yeah Nintendo totally own Best Buy don't they? Jesus. It's as if people weren't gonna be satisfied unless Nintendo said "there are X amounts of units" which nobody has done, ever, aside from Sony with the PS4 and that is an ENTIRELY different case. How many LE GBA/DS/3DS revisions have we had? How many LE/CE games have we had? Mannnnnnn. Be sensible guys.

You seriously can't be serious when you say this. Not everyone is able to schedule their day/week/whatever on the possibility of buying something that is actually limited like you're able to. It must be nice to have that ability to do that (I guess), but don't be an ass about it

If it's Limited, not everybody has to have equal chance of getting it. What might be an easier scenario for YOU to buy it may be a difficult scenario for somebody else. Please put this into perspective..

Ahahahahahaha

I'm sure he's sitting there all smug that less people have the handheld, making his feel more valuable.

Cbajd5

No, Nintendo fucking their customers means they hate them.

So it's Sony's fault I can't get that limited edition PS4 they sold for about an hour? Thus the same applies to them?

I think that limited edition Sunset Overdrive bundle sold out too, guesIs no one should buy things from MS either...

(Just in case it matters, I didn't get a MM system either. Gamestop sold out before I could decide if I wanted one and Best Buy sold out while I couldn't buy one. Got the MH4 system from gamestop instead.)

Durock

Great. I haven't received any order cancellation yet, but I used a Best Buy gift card for part of the purchase. Is it possible for that to be refunded?

HardRojo

And you're blaming Nintendo for what's likely Best Buy's mistake? Wow.

So you get to arbitrarily decide how Limited it's going to be? I'd leave that decision up to the manufacturer, end of story. They are not making this to make a ton of money. In the grand scheme of things, everyone who wants a n3DS XL will still get one.

There seriously is a defense force for everything. There's a reason plenty of people have been complaining about Nintendo's supply management as of late. Just because you got what you wanted doesn't mean everyone's fine with it.

wowwwwwww. Yeah Nintendo totally own Best Buy don't they? Jesus. It's as if people weren't gonna be satisfied unless Nintendo said "there are X amounts of units" which nobody has done, ever, aside from Sony with the PS4 and that is an ENTIRELY different case. How many LE GBA/DS/3DS revisions have we had? How many LE/CE games have we had? Mannnnnnn. Be sensible guys.

If it's Limited, not everybody has to have equal chance of getting it. What might be an easier scenario for YOU to buy it may be a difficult scenario for somebody else. Please put this into perspective..

I would be fine with it if it wasn't as recurrent as it has been with Nintendo. Bayonetta LE, Wind Waker LE, Majora's Mask LE, Majora's Mask 3DS, Amiibos, GCN Adapter. I might be missing more examples but I won't bother.

sensui-tomo

How about nintendo, seeing that people want it, not make the damn handheld limited to begin with? Whats stopping them from just producing those units in more mass than the actual plain color ones? (I know the only place where limited MUST MEAN LIMITED is japan since if they advertise only 1000 units...there must be by law only 1000 units) I hope that no one actually defends the point that this item should be limited so others cant have it.

Resilient

Ahahahahahaha

Are you for real? Dude you need to calm down. Like I said to that other dude - what is convenient for you is inconvenient for somebody else. That is just life! With an LE console, you can have 0 entitlement because that is the nature of the game. It is Limited, for a reason. Not everybody is gonna be able to happen. Sometimes you just miss out on things. That is how the world works..

Seriously, what did you want Nintendo to do? There is no scenario where it is fair for everybody. Somebody mentioned Club Nintendo exclusive - lmfao, that is a millions times worse!!

I can't believe this.

One, Best Buy selling preorders when they didn't have any confirmation of receiving stock and THEN not informing me they canceled the item.

Two, fucking Nintendo for making this so limited.

Cider

Fuck Bestbuy. Thank God I ordered one for my boyfriend at Gamestop this morning. I guess we'll go back to the original plan with one gold system and one black one then :/

finalflame

Gold Member
There seriously is a defense force for everything. There's a reason plenty of people have been complaining about Nintendo's supply management as of late. Just because you got what you wanted doesn't mean everyone's fine with it.

I would be fine with it if it wasn't as recurrent as it has been with Nintendo. Bayonetta LE, Wind Waker LE, Majora's Mask LE, Majora's Mask 3DS, Amiibos, GCN Adapter. I might be missing more examples but I won't bother.

Conversely, just because you and a handful of others didn't get what you wanted doesn't make it bad. I'm sure Nintendo is fully aware of how many units they want to sell, so they make that many units and label the product as "Limited". Then sell them.

Why is this hard to understand? Just because you didn't get X doesn't mean you were entitled to get it and got cheated out of anything.

No, it's Best Buy's for taking an order they had no stock allocation for. Best Buy has done this several times with taking a preorder they cannot fulfill. Game Stop doesn't seem to have this issue so why does Best Buy? Target is also a shitty place to do pre orders since they don't hold the item for you.

Fry's will be selling in store without preorders right?

Seriously fuck Nintendo I don't even need this to play MM but it's one of my favorite games.

Nintendo just doesn't want the money.

Resilient

So you aren't fine because they are Limited? So you don't want them to be Limited? I...don't get it?! It's LE for a reason! It's a premium product! Do you also think that a Lamborghini should be priced at $20000 so that everybody can buy one?

Corgi

Banned
don't know how this is nintendo's fault.

if nintendo had 10x more stock. Best buy still could have fucked up preorder stock and your order could have been cancelled.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
Watching people defend Sony or Microsoft's screw-ups is Amateur Night at the Apollo compared to the crazy stuff that goes down in threads like this.

If Shadowrun ever comes true, I'm staying the hell out of Nintendo's turf.

HardRojo

Conversely, just because you and a handful of others didn't get what you wanted doesn't make it bad. I'm sure Nintendo is fully aware of how many units they want to sell, so they make that many units and label the product as "Limited". Then sell them.

Why is this hard to understand? Just because you didn't get X doesn't mean you were entitled to get it and got cheated out of anything.

Thing is you keep saying "a handful of others" just to mitigate the fact that it's a recurring scenario with Nintendo lately. It's not just "a handful of people". Seriously, there are plenty of people who wanted to get those Limited items. Sure, not all of them are going to get them in the end but Nintendo has been ridiculous when it comes to Limited quantities. Pretty sure they would easily sell out given the huge demand, they don't need to release millions but a reasonable amount to keep the limited perception of the item.

So you aren't fine because they are Limited? So you don't want them to be Limited? I...don't get it?! It's LE for a reason! It's a premium product! Do you also think that a Lamborghini should be priced at $20000 so that everybody can buy one?

Never said they shouldn't be limited and man, that Lamborghini analogy is so bad I won't bother refuting it.

That's a terrible example because a Lamborghini does things that a 20k car doesn't. This is exactly the same product, with a paint job.

maty

I believe the biggest problem is not that the system is limited. But how Nintendo and retailes handled the situation.

The MM 3DS wasn't availble for preorder at the same time from all retailers nor was a date set when it would appear to be bought online. Plus there was no limits to how many one could buy.

Gamestop had them first, then BB, then Target and so on, and several days apart.

Nintendo should have allocated a specified number of handhelds to each retailer and then establish the date for it to go live.

At least that's my experience with music stores when buying LE CDs from bands I like.

Hoping mine doesn't get cancelled I got it in pretty last minute.

*fingers crossed*

Edit: not even a minute later I get my email for the cancellation. Fucking Nintendo.

Cbajd5

Fry's will be selling in store without preorders right?

Seriously fuck Nintendo I don't even need this to play MM but it's one of my favorite games.

Nintendo just doesn't want the money.
I think so? Or maybe that was just the limited edition of the game...

(Didn't get that either. I think it's just Majora's Mask...)

Just got this

We’re sorry but there is an issue with your pre-order. The popularity of Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Limited Edition Gold/Black exceeded the quantities made available to Best Buy. As a result, we are unable to fulfill all of the pre-orders received. We regret that your particular order has been canceled and we know that this is disappointing. We want to make it up to you by offering a $50 discount that may be used towards the purchase of one of these alternate options, or other products on BestBuy.com/

Zelkian

Neo Member
My order from Best Buy was cancelled too, but I also just got an email from them apologizing and giving a $50 discount on a Red or Black New 3DS system.

ironmang

Well, if I don't get mine I'll definitely be salty enough to pass on the full MSRP $200 plain one. A big part of the reason I'm willing to sell off my old XL and pay the 100-120 it'll cost to upgrade is knowing I'd likely be able to sell it and get that money back. They haven't even announced anything besides Xenoblade Chronicles and that's really not enough to justify all that money.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got cancelled, too. Fuck.

Seth

They definitely over sold. I emailed them bitching about having one of mine canceled. I ordered two, one for myself and for a friend. They tried to tell me it was one per person (bullshit, you would have advertised it like that before people purchased). Eventually the guy pretty much admitted they didn't have enough stock. So the decided to fuck people over who ordered more than one. No, not everyone who ordered more than one was scalping, so calm down before you say "good, they should cancel" People might be buying two for their kids, girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever.

Bestbuy just plain fucked up.

Mudron

Just received that Best Buy email for $50 off of the black/red New 3DS XL to make up for the Majora's Mask system being kiboshed.

Not too shabby, really (that Majora's Mask handheld is actually kinda fugly).

Resilient

I believe the biggest problem is not that the system is limited. But how Nintendo and retailes handled the situation.

The MM 3DS wasn't availble for preorder at the same time from all retailers nor was a date set when it would appear to be bought online. Plus there was no limits to how many one could buy.

Gamestop had them first, then BB, then Target and so on, and several days apart.

Nintendo should have allocated a specified number of handhelds to each retailer and then establish the date for it to go live.

At least that's my experience with music stores when buying LE CDs from bands I like.

BLAME. YOUR. RETAILER.

In AU, they were limited to ONE PER CUSTOMER. Is it still Nintendos fault now??

Vena

Nintendo you idiots, I had no desire to purchase a N3DS but I wanted the MM one.

Now I will not be buying a new console. Congrats!

Has nothing to do with Nintendo. Especially not with BB offering people discounts which they wouldn't do if it had been Nintendo.

I just got this after my order showed up as canceled on the site.

We’re sorry but there is an issue with your pre-order. The popularity of Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Limited Edition Gold/Black exceeded the quantities made available to Best Buy. As a result, we are unable to fulfill all of the pre-orders received. We regret that your particular order has been canceled and we know that this is disappointing. We want to make it up to you by offering a $50 discount that may be used towards the purchase of one of these alternate options, or other products on BestBuy.com:

- Nintendo - 3DS XL - Black SKU: 2306021

- Nintendo - 3DS XL - Red SKU: 2307075

finalflame

Gold Member
Thing is you keep saying "a handful of others" just to mitigate the fact that it's a recurring scenario with Nintendo lately. It's not just "a handful of people". Seriously, there are plenty of people who wanted to get those Limited items. Sure, not all of them are going to get them in the end but Nintendo has been ridiculous when it comes to Limited quantities. Pretty sure they would easily sell out given the huge demand, they don't need to release millions but a reasonable amount to keep the limited perception of the item.

I get where you're coming from, and I sympathize with the people who wanted one but weren't able to get one. I still don't see a problem with the quantities allocated. Some things are just going to be hard to get.

More than that, I think Best Buy taking pre-orders they couldn't fulfill then cancelling on customers is terrible. Nobody should have to go through that kind of disappointment.

Has nothing to do with Nintendo. Especially not with BB offering people discounts which they wouldn't do if it had been Nintendo.

I mean Nintendo in general with how they announce these LEs, and the lack of any transparency into how exactly to buy one or anything.

Let's put it this way, you know you fucked up when GameStop is sold out on preorders BEFORE STORES EVEN OPEN ON THE WEST COAST.

Cmon. You can't defend their terrible communication.

Top Bottom