• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestbuy just cancelled by new 3DS XL Majora's Mask order

Kriken

Just went to check mine, still intact, but I would be fucking pissed off if they cancelled my order, I pre-ordered it fair and square

Cbajd5

UnknownJones

Neo Member
Jumping on the sadness train! *choo choo*

Got my cancellation email, too. The $50 credit is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm still very, very disappointed.

Dineren

Banned
Are you GCU or BB Elite member? They may be giving priority to their best customers since all the orders came in around the same time.

I'm elite plus this year and I was cancelled so I imagine they are probably just going down the list by order time.

bomblord1

Banned
You gauge consumer response by announcing the goddamn thing more than a month from release and get preorder numbers. Then you ship what you need to fulfill preorders PLUS some retail stock.

You know, what everyone else does.

Numbers can be flawed regardless of the amount of time a month is plenty of time for an accurate assessment. Even the most statistically accurate assessments can be completely off and stockpiling systems for months costs money and even shipping on a perfect statistical model people can cancel pre-orders numbers fluctuate consumer interest wanes over time etc. It's not as simple as you are making it out to be.

-Horizon-

Man, this must really suck for everyone. Situation has just been terrible all around with preorders closing early the day it was announced to preorders getting cancelled now.

Got the cancellation, this is the only one I had on preorder.

That sucks. Sorry to hear.
I didn't pre-order from Bestbuy but the local store I did my pre-order apparenty has the same problem and started cancelling pre-orders.
Not mine... So far at least.

kewlmyc

Mine's safe, thank god. Sorry to hear that they're mass cancelling orders for a lot of you. Seriously, fuck Best Buy and fuck Nintendo for never meeting demand.

Numbers can be flawed regardless of the amount of time a month is plenty of time for an accurate assessment. Even the most statistically accurate assessments can be completely off. It's not as simple as you are making it out to be.
So you think less than a month (let's say 2 weeks) is enough time to produce, package, and ship units to stores in time for launch? Hmm, I wonder why we usually see a longer lead time on these things.

My guess is Nintendo didn't try to gauge demand from preorder numbers at all and instead only had plans to release a certain amount of stock, hence the late announcement and lack of a plan for preorders at various retailers.

OmegaFax

I got a $50 promo code from Best Buy. Got the e-mail right after ripping them a new asshole on their Unboxed forum. I said I wouldn't pre-order through them again ... but that $50 stacked with $40 in Best Buy gift cards I had ... eating my own words here.

I think the thing that I'm most mad about is the fact that BB waited so long. GameStop sold more today as did Target.

I didn't even try to find another preorder so that others could try their lucjm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dammit

Cbajd5

This jsut gave me a great idea how to get a free system when it seems like this could happen again...

1. Preorder Cost/50 limited edition systems on different accounts. (People who ordered multiples didn't get any credit right? Or at least not a credit per system?)
2. Wait for cancellations + $50 apology from each account. (If some aren't cancelled trade order for $50 credit from someone who's was.)
3. Free system.

And if they don't get canceled just cancel the extra orders and give the chance to latecomers to get them.

GringoJB

Yup, they just cancelled mine, too :-( What a bunch of horseshit. I had just ordered a single one... I'm an Elite member with a BB card, etc etc, so apparently that kind of stuff didn't really matter.

The $50 discount is nice, though... just used that to pick up a red one instead, but seriously, what a disappointing-ass mess. And I frequent Amiibo-GAF, so I know all about disappointing-ass messes :-/

Vena

I think the thing that I'm most mad about is the fact that BB waited so long. GameStop sold more today as did Target.

I didn't even try to find another preorder so that others could try their lucjm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dammit

Hence why this is most likely BB doing something incredibly stupid.

GS/Target didn't will more systems into existence after meeting their initial allotment.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Best Buy is fucking useless. I could have ordered with Gamestop today when it was available, but I thought my order with BB was guaranteed. BB is awful.

bomblord1

Banned
So you think less than a month (let's say 2 weeks) is enough time to produce, package, and ship units to stores in time for launch? Hmm, I wonder why we usually see a longer lead time on these things.

My guess is Nintendo didn't try to gauge demand from preorder numbers at all and instead only had plans to release a certain amount of stock, hence the late announcement and lack of a plan for preorders at various retailers.

It's all relative they probably had some stock already prepared and gauged shipping and additional manufacturing numbers based on initial pre-orders. A full month is plenty of time to get that prepared where are you getting this 2 weeks from. There is no one size fits all answer they probably wanted to generate an initial hype and push them out before it died down.

Oxn

Damn dude. For $50 credit Im actually hoping they cancel my order. Thats like getting The Order for free after GCU.

Im not even into the 3DS XL system, i just got it because i like Zelda.

It's all relative they probably had some stock already prepared and gauged shipping and additional manufacturing numbers based on initial pre-orders. A full month is plenty of time to get that prepared where are you getting this 2 weeks from.
Because they only went up for preorder in mid January... Unless you think everyone preorders everything day one of the announcement, you're not allowing for any time for people to actually preorder.

Tevious

Yup, they just cancelled mine, too :-( What a bunch of horseshit. I had just ordered a single one... I'm an Elite member with a BB card, etc etc, so apparently that kind of stuff didn't really matter.

The $50 discount is nice, though... just used that to pick up a red one instead, but seriously, what a disappointing-ass mess. And I frequent Amiibo-GAF, so I know all about disappointing-ass messes :-/

I'm not Elite or GCU, nor have a card with them, so this is either a first come first serve thing, based on territory, or its random and I've been fortunate enough to keep mine so far.

Damn dude. For $50 credit Im actually hoping they cancel my order. Thats like getting The Order for free after GCU.

Im not even into the 3DS XL system, i just got it because i like Zelda.

If you get your console and want to trade PM me. I'll pay full price and give you the coupon.

I only ordered one. Just got the cancellation. Between this and Amiibos, kiss my ass Nintendo. Props to Best Buy for offering a credit.

Megatron

I'm canceled too. Has anyone had any luck contacting them? I wonder if this is just a mistake like Toys R Us canceling Ambios? Sigh. I'm not sure I'll bother with a New 3DS now.

I've still got my order in place, but I put in my pre-order within about 60 seconds of them opening up. It sounds to me like the disgustingly oversold. Best Buy needs to get this stuff together. This really does bite for everyone that had an order in. A $50 credit is a nice apology at least. Especially next to the radio silence that I would have expected.

helium121

Banned
Has it been stated if GameStop is still taking reserves for this system and if so, is it only today? I have one reserved at Bestbuy but now I'm feeling it will be canceled. I can swing by GameStop in the morning if they are still taking more.

bomblord1

Banned
Because they only went up for preorder in mid January... Unless you think everyone preorders everything day one of the announcement, you're not allowing for any time for people to actually preorder.

There are models that can gauge overall numbers based on day 1 pre-orders. Nothing is 100% accurate though.

Resilient

The difference being concert/sports tickets are announced ahead of time when they're going on sale.

Nintendo announced they had a Direct that day. Yeah we all knew they would announce the n3DS, but we didn't know the release date or anything (assuming you didn't see the leaks). We also didn't know they would be making a MM 3DS. We also didn't know WHEN they would actually go on sale. It just happened. Randomly. Stop blaming consumers.

I love this logic. Just accept life sucks and you won't get nice things you want and stop being upset about it. Amazing. Just amazing.

No one is entitled to it, but they're at least entitled to the opportunity to buy one if it interests them. It shouldn't purely be a "be in the right place at the right time" scenario

I'm sorry...but there isn't anything more to it than that. Sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time. This will not be the first or last time this happens to you. You need to accept that...Nintendo don't have an obligation to ensure you can purchase their LE item. You should be blaming your retailers for not making it clear when pre-orders would go live. They are the ones selling it. Nintendo merely supply it.

Ceadeus

I totally understand your frustration. I would be explosive and maybe kind of violent if, the febuary 13th , the ebgames guy would tells me there has been an stock issue and they had to cancel my mh4u bundle. I would literally burn hate inside of me.

J.T

Banned
DAMN I cancel my order like the next day. I knew I should've waited to see if BB goes and mass cancel orders and get free money. Oh well.

Vitacat

Mine is safe so far. Feel bad for all the ones who git cancelled though.

Mine is also still there.

Someone said this is like a horror movie, waiting for the killer to strike. Hehe. It does kinda feel like that. The killer hasn't found me yet.... yet...

GringoJB

I'm not Elite or GCU, nor have a card with them, so this is either a first come first serve thing, based on territory, or its random and I've been fortunate enough to keep mine so far.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll ever know the rhyme or reason... yeesh. Congrats on your order still being active, though!

akashhhhh

Cancelled as well. But shockingly forward-thinking of Best Buy to offer a $50 credit. I would've expected them to offer nothing in return.

Top Bottom