• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trago

I see it maybe reaching Wii-U level sales. If i'm being optimistic. But i'll gladly eat some crow if i'm proven wrong in a few years.

But man, let's be honest, it's a tough sell right now.

Way too expensive, under-performing hardware and a disappointing lineup of games.
I truly think the hybrid nature of the device is actually it's biggest weakness.

Boom.

Having to wait months for shit to play doesn't sound appealing at all.

daffy

Banned
I mean as a home console no. Scorpio is out this Fall and likely Halo with it. Most core gamers will not be interested after E3. As a handheld i think it will do well, mostly because it'll be uncontested and have console quality games, which is how Nintendo should be marketing it but they want that home console pricing scheme which is whatever. You can clearly tell they have no idea what they're doing pricewise, especially with the eShop and downloadable games.

As a handheld though I'll be buying it and I'll enjoy it as most if not all of my gaming time is done on the go. NINTENDO done good as far as that goes.

Vena

Ya...

Anyone who puts this ballpark to WiiU is off their rocker or is simply glorifying an utterly nonsensical point. There's a serious desperation to paint this as WiiU when it really is nowhere close.

Pokemon alone, on a bad day, puts this in spitting distance of WiiU.

Easily outselling the Wii U isn't exactly a high bar to clear.

That's putting it lightly. The only major consoles to sell less than the WiiU were the Jaguar, 3D0, and dreamcast. All three were so bad they were the last consoles those manufacturers ever made.

The DC was also only viable for about 1 year before Sega went out of business. The WiiU has been on sale since 2012 and is only barely outselling it.

Hard to say to be honest.

On one hand, I hate the inclusion of paid online, the fact that the system is going to cost me 400 bucks ($CAD) if I decide to buy it Day 1, and other accessories are going to cost a lot of money.

On the other hand, the game line-up (assuming nothing gets delayed) looks fucking amazing. Xenoblade? Zelda launch? Super Mario Odyssey? Splatwoon, FE Warriors? Ultimately what's going to matter is if the games are enticing, and considering Wii U droughts, I don't think this is going to be much of a problem. I think what Nintendo's going for is a more sustainable schedule where you get big releases in certain months followed by releases of tier-2/3/4/5 games in the dry periods. And we still have yet to see games like Pokemon, which is easily a system seller.

jayu26

ovGYedx.gif

Uh, yeah. Quality.

I can't wait for the Giant Bomb quick look.

Soroc

It smells like the 3DS launch fiasco all over again. I'm hesitant to move forward with my preorder honestly as I feel the price will drop 6-9 months after launch, or even worse, Switch Generation 2 coming 1 - 1.5 yrs later with the proper beef to get rid of eye bleeding jaggies and shimmering lines.

My consumer confidence in Nintendos ability to marry hardware, software, and services is at an all time low.

Easily outselling the Wii U isn't exactly a high bar to clear. I'm guessing Nintendo would rather duplicate or exceed 3Ds sales, especially as this looks to be a successor to both of the aforementioned consoles. The problem at the moment is handheld-centric gamers aren't likely jumping at the prospect of a $300 system/$60 retail games/$XX online service serving as a potential 3ds replacement.

hence why i said 'easily' twice.

I do not have faith that the features included with the Switch and the game lineup to be released for it will carry this system to a "success". It looks to me that this console will be even more DOA than the Wii U.

I believe that the biggest barrier to Nintendo being a more successful game publisher is the fact that they continue to shackle their games to their own hardware. There are gamers who are willing to go through the pay wall of buying new Nintendo hardware in order to play Nintendo games, but there are many times more who are not.

Game consoles live and die by the games available for them and the general public perception of those systems. The games for Switch look few and strange and the general public perception of Nintendo is that they are outdated in this current world of smart devices and Playstation/Xbox/PC gaming.

Nintendo's best choice to remain relevant to all audiences of gaming would be to leave their hardware division behind and focus on being the best third party game publisher they can be. It will lead to higher software sales and better, larger, longer lasting communities for their online games such as Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash 4.

Redd

Don't care. Don't need it to be. I just want to play the next Zelda game. Be nice if it was somewhat successful though but isn't necessary.

Yushi

To me this a 3DS replacement. So yes, it will do better than WiiU. I think this will be big for the holidays. Zelda,Mario,Mario Kard & Splatoon for the holidays is a strong line up

liquidtmd

Banned
Not a chance, but like the Wii U I'll buy it for the exclusives and it will likely be worth it for me. Sad stuff for Nintendo, though. This seemed like it had such potential in October.

Considering the industry rumblings that the NX was something special and that they've had YEARS of the Wii U being dead at retail and software draughts, the lack of software at launch is sad.

Zelda looks fab but it feels far too cynically like they said 'shit, development of this is overrunning by miles anyway for the Wii U, sod it let's hold it and wait for our next console'

Half measures like this just suck.

I think it will be a success because people around me who don't really play games that much are going crazy about it. That didn't happen with WiiU, at all.

I really think this is a 3DS situation. Based on what they've shown so far, this thing is not going to be a large success, and I don't expect 2017 sales to be impressive. However, I do think it's the right idea for Nintendo, and the kind of support it gets moving forward is going to make it or break it.

celljean89

Neo Member
Agreeing with other people, I think the Switch will do well in Japan. Probably do okay elsewhere, I see the Switch outperform the Wii U, but not the 3ds, maybe close to the 3ds.

I'm expecting a price cut or in game bundle by the Holiday season to make the Switch sell more to the massive.

Also a stronger line up by the holidays, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2 could work by then.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It'll have a pretty bad launch, but I see no reason for it to fail in the long term. You all think that a system with Pokemon gen 8 is going to fail?

Igama

Neo Member
I guess it depends on what you consider a success, but this thing will have Pokémon and things like that, it is important to remember that Switch will be the only Nintendo console now (or so it seems lol).

The launch price sucks though.

>50 million sold if it is their 1 platform.

IT's their 1 platform. IT's new and novel enough. Its both handheld and console. It will get all their dedicated hardware output including Pokemon.

You're projecting 50 million for this thing when the 3DS is only a hair over 60 million, despite far weaker third party support, a higher price point, and a stronger mobile market?

I think the big moment for people will be when they relive they can play these games not connected to a tv.. yes I understand there are laptops but having one device that toy hold with these type of games available with console polish is a first

Soroc

IT's their 1 platform. IT's new and novel enough. Its both handheld and console. It will get all their dedicated hardware output including Pokemon.

Thats what I thought the reason for making sacrifices and going hybrid were have shown us.

This launch lineup and launch window lineups so far are severely lacking. Where are the games that a 1 hardware development house are supposed to have? Why was this delayed to March? Why is it even launching in March with so much about this that still feels half baked. There is a lot of uncertainty here for me right now. The only thing Nintendo seems to have gotten right is the look and design of the machine and how all its hardware fits together.

J@hranimo

Banned
GAF whines too much when it comes to Nintendo. Yeah I think it'll be a success, but maybe not completely at launch. After E3 I can see more being shown and hope revitalized.

299.99 is a good price point, 50 cheaper than the Wii U at launch.

Yeah I think this is the highest they could go for the console. I think see $50 price cut coming later though.

VeeP

It's overpriced.

3DS was the successor to DS and its sales were slow as hell out the gate because it was priced at $250. Nintendo then slashed the price to $170 and sales took off.

If the Switch stays at $300 next holiday season, Sony and Microsoft will outsell it easily.

It'll have a pretty bad launch, but I see no reason for it to fail in the long term. You all think that a system with Pokemon gen 8 is going to fail?

There was a time when people could not believe that a system with mainljne Mario and Zelda games could fail. Anything is possible. Pokemon is huge but it's still reliant on their being a userbase to sell to, and it's on Nintendo to create that userbase, which, based on last nights showing, might be a tough sell.

Hjod

Banned
I really don't know. Going by the reactions here on GAF it should be DOA, but it's Nintendo, I don't know how the mainstream market are going to react.

So I don't know, maybe?

tumblr_nsg3h0se5q1tx4uo1o3_250.gif

GAF whines too much when it comes to Nintendo. Yeah I think it'll be a success, but maybe not completely at launch. After E3 I can see more being shown and hope revitalized.

299.99 is a good price point, 50 cheaper than the Wii U at launch.

$299.99 with $80 controllers is a good price in bizarro world. I'm not sure how you could even come to that conclusion based on the overwhelming majority in this thread thinking it's priced too high.

And no, Wii U cost $299/$350 at launch depending on which SKU you purchased. I'm not blindly shelling out money for a product that is an underpowered, overpriced, jack of all trades but master of none. Nintendo also has the audacity to charge for online play yet we all know it's going to be gimped and inferior to what the other hardware manufacturers offer.

Switch is a trainwreck right now and I see this going one of two ways:

A. Nintendo realizes they are being foolish, slash the price, and offer an ambassador program to all the early adopters who will buy whatever they push out.

or

B. Nintendo gets stuck between a rock and a hard place where they can't slash the price due to expensive gimmicks and end up with a Wii U situation.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Highly unlikely. I do think that it will surpass Wii U overall but never come close to Xbox One. The starting price is just way too high and is what made me think it overnight and by today, it's pretty much sold out which made my decision for me. $300 plus $70 for the Pro controller plus $48 for Zelda plus tax. No fucking way!!! Was tempted and 50/50 but happy I held back.

Nintendo should have sucked it up, taken a loss and released Switch at $200. Also think they should have waited until September to release it as opposed to March with what is basically only Zelda. And why they announced the price at the start of their show last night instead of the end is also beyond me.

Zarth

If Nintendo really wants the switch to be a success they've gotta go all in with the handheld games.

If they're just going to continue to release handhelds why bother making something like this at all?

Eylos

Banned
Agreeing with other people, I think the Switch will do well in Japan. Probably do okay elsewhere, I see the Switch outperform the Wii U, but not the 3ds, maybe close to the 3ds.

I'm expecting a price cut or in game bundle by the Holiday season to make the Switch sell more to the massive.

3ds sold bad after launch hype, only after a year it sold very well

if well managed this can sell better than 3ds

causan

No way this thing is going to blow up like the Wii. So it will most likely do as well as the Wii U, but only after some large price cuts. In the $199 range.

Raven117

I mean as a home console no. Scorpio is out this Fall and likely Halo with it. Most core gamers will not be interested after E3. As a handheld i think it will do well, mostly because it'll be uncontested and have console quality games, which is how Nintendo should be marketing it but they want that home console pricing scheme which is whatever. You can clearly tell they have no idea what they're doing pricewise, especially with the eShop and downloadable games.

As a handheld though I'll be buying it and I'll enjoy it as most if not all of my gaming time is done on the go. NINTENDO done good as far as that goes.

That is exactly what I think and my expectation.

As a booming home console...No way...As a cool handheld...I think it can get there.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
drop the price and get as many games out as possible and it will be a success. right now it's expensive and has only 1 good game going for it at launch (zelda).

You're projecting 50 million for this thing when the 3DS is only a hair over 60 million, despite far weaker third party support, a higher price point, and a stronger mobile market?

And the 3DS had a attractive budget option in impluse buy range (the 2DS). Look at how the 2DS is selling in Japan.

inner-G

Banned
No.

I think it will be more like the Wii U/GC, not the SNES or Wii

- It costs too much compared to competitors
- They still don't 'get' online

Mooreberg

It will do better than Wii U because Nintendo's attention being on one device will result in fewer first party game droughts. But nothing about this thing is atttractive to the major third party developers. Seems destined to land between GameCube and N64 for sales.

smoothj

It will be successful for me and my gaming needs. I don't have time to play games like I used to so giving me 3-4 quality games a year is more than enough. Shoot Xenoblade 2 is more than enought right there I'm sure lol. I have a PS4 and PC as well.

I hope it is successful in the market as well.

Also, does anyone know if this is the successor to the 3DS?

AdanVC

Considering the price and the amount of accesories it'll be sold separetely... I can see it having a moderate success almost like the Gamecube. I was expecting the Switch to be $300 anyways considering the Wii U is still officially priced at $300 too.

wildfire

Banned
The only developer I can think of that even comes close to the polish, quality, and consistency of Nintendo first party is Blizzard. Which developers do you think are better?

Nintendo is the best developer by a wide margin but they aren't putting out the best games against so many developers.

What's really annoyng me is how their partners are supporting the launch.

Ubisoft? Before the paid online announcement I felt they should've gambled with putting For Honor on the system. But that idea is clearly dead in the water but having only Steep, Just Dance and Raymen Legends announced is a terrible look.

It's baffling that a game series that started on the 3DS didn't have the sequel announced for the Swith. Where is Ni No Kuni?

I actually expected EA to not release much on the Switch but I atleast expected them to release their best mobile games.

Skyrim is coming out in fall. Should've been a launch title, summer release the latest.

With the smaller, more cautious console manufacturing schedule, it'll be a relative short term success by numbers. But if Nintendo truly wants to get those consoles selling and no longer want the shadow of doubt on them. Show some more fucking games, maybe lower the cost of those accessories a bit

I have one preordered, the Mario game looks spectacular, but I see this being the beginning of the end for "home console" gaming for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom