• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not want to antagonize anyone who rightfully supports Nintendo but I see 9-10 million lifetime.

It will underperform the Wii U as more diehards continue to become disenchanted with the brand. It's not a viable handheld replacement when it costs as much as a Full HD console, most people will see it and use it as the Wii U+.

Nintendo needs to be raked over the coals for the third party support. I want to play Infinite Warfare and The Division Year 2 on the go. I'm afraid Nintendo would rather pack up its bags and close up shop before they ever cater to third parties like MS and Sony.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and this post makes it to the wall of shame one year later.

I can tell you right now that your post is wrong, it will easily outsell WiiU. Easily.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm not that confident in Nintendo's ability to present anymore. Their initial Switch commercial was amazing and really drove home the point so I'm hopeful their marketing is still up to the task, but that presentation last night was really poorly planned. If whatever they had presented for the last half of the presentation came first, I feel like public opinion would be much higher right now. I don't feel like Nintendo really knows what people want from these stage shows.

Ah well. Still day one. Games look great, IMO.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wii U launched with games. Day one game's, not wait for a few months "window" game's.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Blops 2, ZombiU, Nintendoland, and a Mario platformer!

Switch has nothing. I can't remember a launch this bad in all of my years in the hobby!

I compared this to N64 with my room mate he said I was an idiot. Well let's see how many copies of Just dance they sell.

t26

Again, is there a huge market for people who game on the go? Especially among core gamers and casuals? The handheld market was already shrinking. I don't see this as THAT huge of a selling point, especially outside of Japan.

The 3DS was the top selling hardware in July this year. Maybe not for $300, but there will be demand once the price is lower.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Nope

Say first year is rough, early adopters screwed when revision rolls out year 2-2.5

By that time, inklings on Xbox's and Sony's new generation consoles and info rumbling start popping up
It will be forgotten

I see No killer app that makes it buy for casuals like the Wii was
Most here are buying it for Zelda, that's all, maybe Mario the most

Nerazar

"GAF" said no to the WiiU too. And they were right.

If "GAF" always says no to Nintendo products, they will eventually have a correct prediction.

That being said: I see Switch more successful than WiiU, but (slightly) less successful than the 3DS with what we know. The pricing is quite steep and there are some negative aspects about the console, but that was basically true for the 3DS as well. If Nintendo really wants to push Switch as their next big thing, they can easily do so, I think, just like with the 3DS. If they market it well enough (portable 2 player console out of the box with state of the art controllers), the current price point could move a good bunch of consoles.

But I think they will drop the price soon (as in: until Christmas/Black Friday) or add a game to the $300 bundle. From the company's point of view, it is always better to (slightly) overcharge (= get a profit) the first wave than going too low and burn money from day 1. Because *raising* the price after launch is quite difficult...

I think it will edge out Wii U by 3 to 4 million units. Not a high bar, but Nintendo is really far behind the big guys. Nintendo will need to embrace being a second fiddle.

TS-08

I think it has the potential to do slightly better than GameCube numbers, particularly if the Pokémon rumors are true, but I don't see a whole lot more than that.

If "GAF" always says no to Nintendo products, they will eventually have a correct prediction.

That being said: I see Switch more successful than WiiU, but (slightly) less successful than the 3DS with what we know. The pricing is quite steep and there are some negative aspects about the console, but that was basically true for the 3DS as well. If Nintendo really wants to push Switch as their next big thing, they can easily do so, I think, just like with the 3DS. If they market it well enough (portable 2 player console out of the box with state of the art controllers), the current price point could move a good bunch of consoles.

But I think they will drop the price soon (as in: until Christmas/Black Friday) or add a game to the $300 bundle. From the company's point of view, it is always better to (slightly) overcharge (= get a profit) the first wave than going too low and burn money from day 1. Because *raising* the price after launch is quite difficult...

That makes absolutely no sense.

seantos

Neo Member
Im confident it will be a success. The portability and randomness of some of the games will get good word of mouth. The price point will be a sticking point but I expect a price drop before Christmas. Im gonna predict 40-50 million so a modest success.

Is that really a success though? If the 3ds was 63million and the wii u was 13 million and the new combined system sells 40 million isn't that like half the market they had before? Wasn't combining the efforts supposed to strengthen their position?

Ogodei

There are plenty of third party games that are better than Nintendo games. Stop glorifying their shit like they're divine. It's annoying and not true. Slobbering their knob only makes you sloppy.

Yes and no. There's nobody who does what Nintendo does, is the thing. Who's serious about platformers outside of indies? Who treats family-friendly gaming as something more than just shovelware? A lot of Nintendo games also occupy weird cross-genre niches.

On topic: I think they'll sell through launch stock and perhaps match that by the end of the year. Hype for Breath of the Wild was off the charts, and people aren't going to be buying it on Wii U (unless they have one already, and thanks to the Wii U being what it is, not many people do), because Wii U costs the same as the Switch when you buy new, but the Switch has a future.

They've got all of the Wii U's best system-sellers (sans Smash) packed into the first year: MK 8 and Splatoon both moved the needle, Zelda's got insane interest, and Mario Odyssey, so i could see maybe 5 million by the holiday, more if 1-2 Switch catches on.

After that it depends on the strength of the library as a whole, what follow-ups come in 2018, and how quickly Nintendo starts bundling.

I don't see abject failure in the cards, even priced the way it is.

Cathcart

Not a chance, but like the Wii U I'll buy it for the exclusives and it will likely be worth it for me. Sad stuff for Nintendo, though. This seemed like it had such potential in October.

I do not want to antagonize anyone who rightfully supports Nintendo but I see 9-10 million lifetime.

It will underperform the Wii U as more diehards continue to become disenchanted with the brand. It's not a viable handheld replacement when it costs as much as a Full HD console, most people will see it and use it as the Wii U+.

Nintendo needs to be raked over the coals for the third party support. I want to play Infinite Warfare and The Division Year 2 on the go. I'm afraid Nintendo would rather pack up its bags and close up shop before they ever cater to third parties like MS and Sony.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and this post makes it to the wall of shame one year later.

What a load of nonsense you're spewing.

I can tell you right now that your post is wrong, it will easily outsell WiiU. Easily.

Easily outselling the Wii U isn't exactly a high bar to clear. I'm guessing Nintendo would rather duplicate or exceed 3Ds sales, especially as this looks to be a successor to both of the aforementioned consoles. The problem at the moment is handheld-centric gamers aren't likely jumping at the prospect of a $300 system/$60 retail games/$XX online service serving as a potential 3ds replacement.

Iksenpets

Banned
Define success. I think it will out perform the Wii U. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey will carry it to at least that, as will handheld fans moving over as Nintendo shifts traditionally DS franchises to the Switch. I think it will underperform versus the PS4 and Xbox though. It can't substitute for those consoles, due to its lack of power and third-party support, and the typical consumer will still look to those consoles first.

Whether that's good enough for Nintendo as a business, I don't know.

The only developer I can think of that even comes close to the polish, quality, and consistency of Nintendo first party is Blizzard. Which developers do you think are better?

B2Z4nyi.gif

reKon

Banned
Yea the people in this thread it's fucking scalebound all over again.

People have are being reasonable with their pessimism because of the current landscape of the competition and the past performance of the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita sales...

The console does not last as long as a tradition portables on battery. The power increase over the Wii U doesn't seem to be substantial. And it's already priced higher than more powerful game consoles that have games bundled.

So what the hell do you mean?

J@hranimo

Banned
Judging by GAF reactions, yeah it will be a success lol. I think it'll be a hit in Japan and have moderate success everywhere else in the West.

I think it'll take a little time though.

bidguy

Banned
looks pretty bad. by the time theyre ready for price cuts scorpio will (which is a monster compared to switch specs) be on the horizon + ps4 pro will get a price cut

only nintendo die hards will keep this alive

Kirye

GAF whines too much when it comes to Nintendo. Yeah I think it'll be a success, but maybe not completely at launch. After E3 I can see more being shown and hope revitalized.

299.99 is a good price point, 50 cheaper than the Wii U at launch.

Coffinhal

True but they also lose credibility and that may be more valuable than the few profits they'll make until the end of the year. It really seems like they set that price to make profit for the shareholders rather than installing properly their machine to a large user base with the right price tag.

GAF whines too much when it comes to Nintendo. Yeah I think it'll be a success, but maybe not completely at launch. After E3 I can see more being shown and hope revitalized.

299.99 is a good price point, 50 cheaper than the Wii U at launch.

Wii U was 300EU for the standard bundle and 350EU for the Premium (w/Nintendoland)
Switch is 330EU (without game)
So no

VeeP

OP I don't think it'll be a success.

At launch it'll sell decently, diehards will buy it.

After that I think sales will slow.

It'll be similar to when 3DS first launched, the sales were just poor.

But with a price drop/redesign I could see the Switch doing very well.

One thing not helping it is the prices for accessories. Why does everything cost so much? Or the fact that the console only has 32 GB of storage I believe. Your making consumers pay $300 American and that's all your giving, really?

seantos

Neo Member

It's not better to squeeze profit from initial sales when you are coming off a failure like the Wii U and you are trying to build momentum going forward. They should have started at the lowest price they could reasonably achieve and focused on software and gone from there.

Koppai

I still think they should've included a pack in game.

Yall need to chill out remember there was a sizzle reel of other games coming. We also know that Pikmin will be coming for it eventually. They didn't want to blow their load all at once. Wii U just had droughts galore.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I see it maybe reaching Wii-U level sales. If i'm being optimistic. But i'll gladly eat some crow if i'm proven wrong in a few years.

But man, let's be honest, it's a tough sell right now.

Way too expensive, under-performing hardware and a disappointing lineup of games.
I truly think the hybrid nature of the device is actually it's biggest weakness.

KoopaTheCasual

Yea, having 1,2 Switch as a pack-in, while not a necessary "game changer", would have been the closest shot they had for this thing to take off.

Nintendo missed that boat.

This is the last three Nintendo consoles put into one that is portable and people are thinking it won't sell ?

I agree the price would be nice if lower and the initial launch games are weak ..

But the system has a lot of potential.. yes it won't win the best graphics awards but I'm not sure it matters..

fallingdove

Unless they rethink their strategy, I feel like the Switch will perform worse than even the Wii U did.

Firstly, because price - both of the console itself and its accessories.

I wont consider the Switch console until it is no more than $150.

Even then...

Switch - $150
Pro Controller - $70
Extra Joy-con - $80
200gb Micro SD - $50
1 Game - $60
----------------------------------
$410 is a lot to pay for a console that is moderately more powerful and moderately more portable than the Wii U that I already have.

Second, games -
The launch titles are unimpressive, especially given that I own a Wii U (for Zelda).

The only non-launch title I am interested in is Xenoblade 2. I was disappointed in the Mario debut, the city sequences looked and felt like a fan made Unreal 4 tech demo. It wasn't until they got into the traditional Mario worlds that it looked interesting to me.

I also need more than ports/remasters. I am not convinced that 3rd parties are on board yet and based on my experience with the Wii U, 1st party droughts were frequent and long lasting.

I am still holding on to hope for the Switch - hope that Nintendo will figure out how to make sense of this mess. My daughter and I have had some really great experiences with the Wii U and I'd love to keep her interested in gaming with another Nintendo device.

Raven117

Oh, as a robust gaming console with lots of big budget AAA gaming experiences to choose from? Nah, probably not.

For what I want: A 3ds replacement that I can play Zelda, Xenoblade, that Square RPG, the next Monster Hunter, and maybe some other cool little games....then yeah...I think it will fit the bill.

(Essentially, I just want a 3ds sequel...I think I got it).

EmiPrime

Based on current showing I think it will struggle to sell 20-30m units in its lifetime. High price, no pack-in, no killer app, weak third party support. Hopefully they can turn things around but they're making a lot of the same mistakes they did with the Wii U.

I collect Nintendo gear but what's currently on offer is not enough for me to invest day one, I will probably wait for Super Mario Odyssey to come out. If they can't get someone like me on board for launch then they're in trouble.

It has a lot working against it and Nintendo seems to be making some very Nintendo-like mistakes.

I mean, I'm buying one, because it's a Nintendo console, but it's honestly hard for me to envision it doing significantly better than the Wii U. I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom