• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIG HERO 6 |OT| Like a Big Marshmallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDog

Saw this yesterday after a long wait, but didn't really enjoy it. Pretty formulaic and none of the cast (apart of Baymax) were really memorable.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Did I see wrong or did they really include
steve jobs
? Like in the beginning
before he shows his microbots you can see a man, dressed like jobs, hair like jobs, you only see it for a second

Loved the movie! Can't wait to watch it again.

Chopper

Just got back from this. Saw it in 3D at the IMAX. An absolutely incredible looking film that had both me and my finacee crying and laughing out loud. Brilliant stuff.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
The film released yesterday, went to see it immediately.

Loved every second of it, Baymax is such a lovable character and the movie handled grief very good. The ending didn't make any sense, but who cares, it makes a great ending.

The movie was a little bit predictable, but which Disney movie isn't? By far the best Disney movie in a very very long time.

Balalala

zeioIIDX

Watching for the first time with my daughter right now. The scene after the place catches fire hit me kinda hard. I knew it was coming especially after
his brother's hat flew off his head...But damn....tears, tears everywhere lol :/

jwk94

Pretty good movie, but the ending bothered me. It was cool how Baymax sent his original chip along with Hiro but how's HIro just going to build another Baymax like that? For me, it kind of took the weight off his death. I honestly think the sequel (if there is one) will bring back OG Baymax because lord knows that dimension is still there, waiting to be accessed by someone.

Oh and Honey needs to decide how she wants to pronounce Hiro. That was really really annoying.

kirblar

Pretty good movie, but the ending bothered me. It was cool how Baymax sent his original chip along with Hiro but how's HIro just going to build another Baymax like that? For me, it kind of took the weight off his death. I honestly think the sequel (if there is one) will bring back OG Baymax because lord knows that dimension is still there, waiting to be accessed by someone.

Oh and Honey needs to decide how she wants to pronounce Hiro. That was really really annoying.
He's a robot. The chip IS Baymax.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Saw this yesterday after a long wait, but didn't really enjoy it. Pretty formulaic and none of the cast (apart of Baymax) were really memorable.
That's how I felt.

There was a lot of potential, but not a lot of it was actualized.

Mike M

Nick N

It wasn't at all clear, but I took it that there was a Baymax unit at home and at the lab, one being an earlier revision.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah it's not as fond as I remember it after watching it again... and personally felt like it didn't deserve winning the Oscars.

Totally deserved the Oscar, hands-down.

This is easily in the top 5 Disney films of all time after all.

Agreed. This is just a great movie with the right ratio of Marvel to Disney.

It is formulaic in nature, but I don't think that takes away from the movie. It brought just enough new that I didn't mind seeing a "typical superhero" movie.

Boss Doggie

Agreed. This is just a great movie with the right ratio of Marvel to Disney.

It is formulaic in nature, but I don't think that takes away from the movie. It brought just enough new that I didn't mind seeing a "typical superhero" movie.

Then again I have been a fan of Japanese stuff hence why I see the movie kinda eh.

Though I feel some power ranger series are better than BH6.

Arcadius

Banned
=) I'll totally be getting this tomorrow, can't wait. Formulaic or not, I love getting all happy happy feels when I watch animated movies, so this will be fun. I didn't read the thread, don't want to be spoiled really, but I am excited, I heard good things about the movie.

Ahhh~, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

theJohann

I am honestly surprised that so many people had such a strong response to this film. It was incredibly formulaic, to me, and I can see some others hold the same opinion.

I did find the visuals to be very pleasing.

Guiberu

I have watched this movie four times with my daughter.

We both want a life-size Baymax.

Possibly me more than her....

Mr. Sam

I am honestly surprised that so many people had such a strong response to this film. It was incredibly formulaic, to me, and I can see some others hold the same opinion.

Agreed - left me totally cold. Felt more like something that belongs on Jimmy Neutron's tier than a "top five Disney film." I think I even preferred Wreck-It Ralph to this. The Lego Movie got robbed, which would bother me more if the Academy Awards were anything more than a giant photo op.

Boss Doggie

Well like I said it is very underwhelming in recent viewings and I feel tokusatsu shows handled the shtick far better. But I still stand by that it did the characters much more better than Frozen, and is better than the comic (Fred notwithstanding).

Sorry for the bump but I finally watched this today. I have a question:

How did the personality chip get into the rocket hand if all of Baymax's medical programming was still being used? I mean he had to hear the sign off from Hiro to 'turn off', so I assume he's still got it at that point. Then he fires the rocket hand and dies. Then the chip is in his hand at the end.

How did the personality chip get into the rocket hand if all of Baymax's medical programming was still being used? I mean he had to hear the sign off from Hiro to 'turn off', so I assume he's still got it at that point. Then he fires the rocket hand and dies. Then the chip is in his hand at the end.
There's no official answer, but I like to think
since the chip was still in contact with Baymax's hand, perhaps it was still linked to his system up until the moment he fired the rocket fist.

sn00zer

ts heavily implied that
in this weird between world space his bother's spirit was influencing Baymax

There's no official answer, but I like to think
since the chip was still in contact with Baymax's hand, perhaps it was still linked to his system up until the moment he fired the rocket fist.

It's a stretch but I guess that works. He does touch a monitor to assimilate pycho therapy information. But why would it be in his hand then at all? When did he have the presence of mind to move it there. He hasn't the time. Seems like they could have done it better. I think that true of the whole film. Could have been much better.

ts heavily implied that
in this weird between world space his bother's spirit was influencing Baymax

Really didn't get that implication. I just thought he'd Terminator 2ed and taken on enough human interaction and friendship to say the right thing for Hiro to move on.

If the stray microbot was showing Baymax where it wanted to go, why didn't he just walk thru the buildings, instead of making all the left and right turns through alleyways. How did he know it was THAT particular warehouse that the microbot was trying to get to?

Because it's A DISNEY MOVIE!

[fist bump] Blalalelala

I actually loved it.
Fun movie!

If the stray microbot was showing Baymax where it wanted to go, why didn't he just walk thru the buildings, instead of making all the left and right turns through alleyways. How did he know it was THAT particular warehouse that the microbot was trying to get to?

Because it's A DISNEY MOVIE!

[fist bump] Blalalelala

I actually loved it.
Fun movie!

That's stupid. He is shown to move around obstacles. It's the first thing you see him do.

The fist bumping was enjoyable.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's a stretch but I guess that works. He does touch a monitor to assimilate pycho therapy information. But why would it be in his hand then at all? When did he have the presence of mind to move it there. He hasn't the time. Seems like they could have done it better. I think that true of the whole film. Could have been much better.
Yeah, aside from the possible explanations being a stretch that scene is a bit of unfortunate forced drama in a movie that dealt with drama/grief pretty well for the most part.
If Baymax thought about giving him the chip there was zero reason for him to not tell that to Hiro and have the whole sad exchange. "I'll live through this chip. Take it. We don't have time".

Boss Doggie

I always thought that the chip was empty and Hiro made himself a new one. But yeah it's a really bad / wonky drama.

That's stupid. He is shown to move around obstacles. It's the first thing you see him do.

The fist bumping was enjoyable.

Im talking about the microbot that was attracted to the other microbots.
Not Baymax's motor skills

It's not like it knows there is a building in front of it when it's being pulled toward the others. But in the movie Baymax doesn't walk in a straight line when walking in the direction the microbot is being pulled toward. Why go around one building, but stop at the other?

EDIT: Basically the microbot is acting like a compass, but Baymax is using it more like a GPS without any explanation given for it to make sense.

I don't mind it personally (didn't ruin the movie) but it was just an odd thing that stuck out along with what I quoted earlier with what happened during the climax of the movie.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Got this on Blu-ray, watched with the family. This is an awesome movie. The transfer is amazing visually as well. I'd like to see Disney expand on this universe more.

Gravidee

Im talking about the microbot that was attracted to the other microbots.
Not Baymax's motor skills

It's not like it knows there is a building in front of it when it's being pulled toward the others. But in the movie Baymax doesn't walk in a straight line when walking in the direction the microbot is being pulled toward. Why go around one building, but stop at the other?

EDIT: Basically the microbot is acting like a compass, but Baymax is using it more like a GPS without any explanation given for it to make sense.

I don't mind it personally (didn't ruin the movie) but it was just an odd thing that stuck out along with what I quoted earlier with what happened during the climax of the movie.

It may have been only acting up periodically and that's how Baymax would know where to go. Seems pretty coincidental, but at the end of the day it was just designed to be a fun little sequence to show us the populated areas of San Fransokyo while at the same time driving the story forward.

Throughout I was thinking "If this was a top-tier Pixar movie, there would have been less heroes and they would have found an elegant way to give each one proper character development". As it stands, it's rote spectacle with ciphers seen a thousand times before (Scooby Doo, Recess, The Lego Movie...)

Tizoc

Gotta say Yokai had a really cool design, and his hand gestures to
control the microbots were really cool too

Boss Doggie

Throughout I was thinking "If this was a top-tier Pixar movie, there would have been less heroes and they would have found an elegant way to give each one proper character development". As it stands, it's rote spectacle with ciphers seen a thousand times before (Scooby Doo, Recess, The Lego Movie...)

Uhh you do know Pixar has the same problem too right? The Tank gang? The circus troupe? etc.

It's not really a problem I'd argue. The focus of the story is still about Hiro. Then again the title is Big Hero 6...

danowat

Banned
Haven't read the entire thread, so apols if it's been already discussed.

I watched this on a long haul flight, and it wasn't a bad movie, but I really, really can't get my head around the westernization of the Japanese characters (Japanese names but western physical features) and location (San Fransokyo).

Why was this done?, it just feels a really odd thing to do.......

Boss Doggie

Haven't read the entire thread, so apols if it's been already discussed.

I watched this on a long haul flight, and it wasn't a bad movie, but I really, really can't get my head around the westernization of the Japanese characters (Japanese names but western physical features) and location (San Fransokyo).

Why was this done?, it just feels a really odd thing to do.......

It's based on a marvel comic (which is bad - as it is a stereotypes of Japanese stuff, but much better compared to what DC did back then).

With that said this shit is common with Japanese media too you know.

Just watched it with my 6yr old. He loved it. Wants to watch again. As an adult I loved it. Had tears at some scenes.

Laughed as I scanned through this thread. Some of you have really lost your sense of wonderment.

Great movie. Tangled is still tops for me though.

Watched this the other day as well, cried when Hiro's big bro died even though I knew it was coming probably cause I've got a brother, but apart from that it was a decent film. Like people said before it was pretty formulaic so you could predict what was going to happen next. Looked nice though.

Amir0x

Banned
right, nobody is arguing that it's not OK to have an opinion that the movie is good. Just that it has nothing to do with a loss of wonderment or whatever. Some people just think the movie was not that special and there are a lot of better films on offer out there, even of this type of formula. I tend to agree, whilst still not thinking the film was bad or anything. It's just not special.

I've said nothing here worth rolling my eyes at. If you can read your comment about wonderment and not vomit at the self-righteous nonsense, bravo for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom