• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIG HERO 6 |OT| Like a Big Marshmallow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is packed with story tropes. I don't think much new happens in this movie but really I don't think that matters. If this is one of the first movies a kid sees they will be love it. It is clever, charming, and beautiful.

Kaban

Ugh. Was very disappointed. Characters were boring and 2-dimensional, story was formulaic, villain was half-assed, and I just didn't find it all that funny. Even Baymax's shtick got old quickly. I was really looking forward to it, and really wanted to like it, but it fell so flat :( Also,
Baymax's destruction mode was a little too similar to The Iron Giant

Oh well, it looked gorgeous.

Disney has been on a roll with their previous films, but this feels like a step back. For an animated superhero movie, I'd just stick with The Incredibles.

bon

Saw this today and I liked it. Really impressive animation in certain parts. I kind of hope they make a sequel so we can get more development for characters other than Hiro.

The dog short was super cute.

This movie was great!!

1) I love Baymax! First thing I did when getting off work today was walk into the Disney Store downstairs and buy a Baymax plush. I've been extremely depressed lately so maybe he can help. Does anyone remember his lines diagnosing Hiro? Specifically the one about the hug. I can't find the script or that scene anywhere and it'll be a couple days till I can see it again.

2) Go Go is fuckin hot, right? I'm not the only one? Dem thighs?

3) Hiro's aunt is also fuckin hot, right? Dat ass?

I was actually only disappointed by one thing, and that's
that they decided to "ground" the movie to the point where Fred didn't ever actually turn into a monster like he is in the books. Like that was his gag. He was the ONE character with a normal name but he was a fuckin monster. I kept waiting and waiting for him to get changed or when they got to the island and Wasabi was talking about the hazardous waste I was like "Ok it's gonna get on him and fuse him with the suit or something" but it never happened. I still really liked his character though.

GoGo and Honey are both pretty good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ugh. Was very disappointed. Characters were boring and 2-dimensional, story was formulaic, villain was half-assed, and I just didn't find it all that funny. Even Baymax's shtick got old quickly. I was really looking forward to it, and really wanted to like it, but it fell so flat :( Also,
Baymax's destruction mode was a little too similar to The Iron Giant

Oh well, it looked gorgeous.

Disney has been on a roll with their previous films, but this feels like a step back. For an animated superhero movie, I'd just stick with The Incredibles.

To be fair, this is a huge step up above the source material.

Just got back from seeing and my friend and I both agree the movie should have ended when
Baymax reboots again with Hiro instead of the big hero splash page at the end

Also the little bit at the end of credits was kind of a nice touch. Great if you caught it earlier on in the movie. The dog short also I felt like should have ended a bit earlier around the time
the couple reunite at the restaurant right before they cut to the wedding scene

MikeDown

Banned
loved the movie, though my biggest complains would have to do with pacing, character depth and the lack luster score. Not to mention elements of the plot were fairly predictable.

Also when they are
looking over the footage from the portal experiment did anyone else think the military official looked somewhat similar to Gen. Hammond from Stargate?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
first half > second half

It felt a little too short

But the artstyle was really nice with all those city shots, and the character designs were pretty good as well

SalvaPot

I saw the Mexican Dub, top-tier work as always. All voices fit perfectly (Except for the Policeman, he got annoying), but other than that, damn, great dub.

Baymax is going to sell SO MANY FUCKING PLUSHIES I'm not even kidding. Movie's been out for 2 days here and I already got 4 preorders for it, and that is without actually promoting it, its people getting out of their way to ask me for it.

Movie was great fun too, the plot had its tropes but they kept moving them around to avoid making it way too predictable.

This is the new generation Iron Giant.

I hate to say it, but this was pretty disappointing - especially after coming from the wonderful Frozen.

It had moments of brilliance, and Baymax was amazing, but as a whole it was just totally forgettable.

It was alright. It's definitely aimed at a younger crowd. They advertise it as "cross generational" but I didn't catch any adult-wink-wink jokes that you would find in other Disney/Pixar films. Great for kids though. My daughter loved it.

Loved the movie, particularly thought the animation was spectacular, but it really felt like it only existed to prop up a franchise/sequel, at least when it comes to the story and pacing.

Lo_Fi

This is one of the few Disney movies that I wouldn't mind having sequels to. The way they set up the ending made me feel like they half plan to. I like the idea of seeing random adventures that the superhero team has, almost like how The Road to El Dorado was going to have sequels with them visiting other exotic locations.

Edit: Also, Baymax was way better than I was expecting. From the commercials I was expecting dumb kid humor, but the way they animated him was hilarious.

muteki

Pretty disappointed. I found Tangled and Frozen easier to watch.

I like the live action Marvel movies just fine, maybe I was expecting too much. I have a feeling that to me, "here is a modern version of a classic disney princess movie" is an easier sell than "here is a modern superhero film animated by disney". Also (general plot spoiler)
I kept waiting for a catastrophic event that would take the group of teenagers that were "really smart!" and give them actual superpowers. Instead, everyone in the movie was Tony Stark.

I wouldn't mind a sequel though.

Kangi

Enjoyed it. Second to Boxtrolls as far as animated movies this year, but it stands on its own alongside Disney's other recent output.

Also,
Tadashi's fiery death did a swell job shutting up the children who would've otherwise talked throughout the movie. So thank you for that, Disney

Phoenix

Great movie. Took a bunch of kids to see it and they all loved it.

The Disney short Feast was fantastic too. Almost broke down in tears as it reminded me of my buddy Snoopy.

duckroll

Oh man, I fucking loved this. Definitely one of my most enjoyable films of the year. It's the perfect marriage of Disney's heartwarming stories about a kid growing up and the insane horizon of fun that a Marvel superhero world would offer. I think they really knocked this one out of the park. Amazing characters, predictable but no less enjoyable story, great touching little moments, exciting action set pieces, lots of anime inspiration in the action and designs but without losing sight of the Disney flavor and tone.

Feast was pretty great too. I like how Disney does experimental shorts with their big blockbusters. The crayon-like shading effect they used for the dog was really neat. I think Paperman is still better overall, but it's great that they're trying something different with each of these shorts.

Dunlop

Brought the family and thought it was pretty good,I just don't understand the motivation of the villain

I get why he is angry about what happened with his daughter, not why he becomes a homicidal murderer that tries to kill the group from the onset

Pretty disappointed. I found Tangled and Frozen easier to watch.

I like the live action Marvel movies just fine, maybe I was expecting too much. I have a feeling that to me, "here is a modern version of a classic disney princess movie" is an easier sell than "here is a modern superhero film animated by disney". Also (general plot spoiler)
I kept waiting for a catastrophic event that would take the group of teenagers that were "really smart!" and give them actual superpowers. Instead, everyone in the movie was Tony Stark.

I wouldn't mind a sequel though.
so, because the plot didn't go as you expected you're holding that against the movie? That's kind of a weird way to watch a film but, hey, whatever works for you.

Personally, I thought the film was great. It had the charm of a marvel movie but also managed to have some touching, emotional moments that those films sorely lacked. Definitely a better movie than Wreck it Ralph, and really looking forward to seeing it again at home.

vareon

Brought the family and thought it was pretty good,I just don't understand the motivation of the villain

I get why he is angry about what happened with his daughter, not why he becomes a homicidal murderer that tries to kill the group from the onset

Hm?
he simply wants to take revenge and gets a little too carried away with the kids who saw his plan.

muteki

so, because the plot didn't go as you expected you're holding that against the movie? That's kind of a weird way to watch a film but, hey, whatever works for you.

Personally, I thought the film was great. It had the charm of a marvel movie but also managed to have some touching, emotional moments that those films sorely lacked. Definitely a better movie than Wreck it Ralph, and really looking forward to seeing it again at home.

The plot didn't have to go that particular way, but I would have liked something a little more complex. To me the movie feels hollow in the plot department.

JesseZao

Loved the flim. Another hit for Disney Animation.

The pixar preview was a movie I had heard about a year or two ago. I thought it was nice that they were going to do something more "cerebral," but I'm not sure I'm on board anymore after seeing the preview.

Also, near the end of the credits I noticed on of the animation researcher was named "Idris Erba." Did a double take.

zeemumu

Baymax was killing it with the jokes.

Loved the movie.
Fist bump!

Badalalalala

I saw this movie last night and it was great. Although, with everything that's possible in theorder universe, their solutions seems overly complicated. Really cool, but complicated. But that's a nitpick. This movie is amazing.

cantona222

Wow. I really loved the movie. Baymax was really funny. I went to the movie knowing nothing about it. So I enjoyed the transformation from Medic Baymax to fighter Baymax. I don't know, It would feel different if I already knew that this cute white thing will be a fighter later on. It should be a surprise. Or one of the movie "twists".

Astral Dog

first half > second half

It felt a little too short

But the artstyle was really nice with all those city shots, and the character designs were pretty good as well

The character designs....
I wish they looked a bit different, i love the art direction,but the characters are the same or similar, as other animated movies, big head and big nose,for this movie i wish they were slighty more realistic., like Disney took a risk, but played it too safe at the same time.
Specially the villain, cool mask, but everything else? and without it? meh.

Baymax was good though.

I thought it was pretty good! Visually the movie was stunning, with some great lighting effects and background details. Humor was there, but I was really pining for more action scenes by the end, hopefully a sequel delivers

But really all it made me want to do is watch The Incredibles, so when we got home we bought that and it's still great.

Flo_Evans

Just got back from taking my 3 year old (his 1st movie in the theaters) he loved it and so did I.

Honestly I do not get the love for Frozen, that movie does nothing for me but I thought this was great.

Baymax toys for Xmas!

Jeff-DSA

My kids loved it. My 5-year old has been asking me when it's coming out on blu-ray. I didn't even know he knew about release dates and blu-ray. He's never asked for me to check when something would be available to buy before.

My 2-year old came along. I was worried it would be a little intense for him, but every time the villain was on screen he would just say, "that guy is spooky" a couple of times and that was that. He laughed at Baymax throughout.

I'll definitely pick this up on release, and I'll most likely need to get a Baymax toy for the kids to share for Christmas.

Saw this with the wife and daughter today. We loved it. I thought it was fantastic. Got hit in the feels several times, also during the dog short. I immediately pre-ordered the Blu-ray, and I foresee some merch under the Xmas tree.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My theater was packed 2 days ago and my wife and I LOVED IT.

Two things though, I thought Hiro could've grabbed onto Baymax when he shot the arm to get them out of the portal, since he's fairly light weight and has an easy texture to grab a hold of.

As a result, I figured Hiro would find the original Tadashi AI card in the hand. And while some people were confused by how could have Baymax done that and still function, the explanation is that Baymax uses numerous cards that are programmed (one of which was the kung-fu card as we know). So he was still capable of making rationale decisions using another card, because his AI logic clearly adapts and learns all the time.

HUELEN10

I just saw it today, and am so, so ecstatically happy that we finally have another great Disney film after Tangled and Pooh (Break-It Bob was good, not great, and Frozen was awful)! Henry Jackman did an absolutely spot-on job with the film's score, the voice actor cast they chose was just... they nailed it, and the art direction was just wow. But what matters is story is and script, and you know what? They got that right too!

Day one BD release!

Rootbeer

Banned
Frozen is pretty bad. It gets a pass from so many people because they dig the songs in it, or because Elsa is a particularly relatable character ("i'm so different and misunderstood!") with a visually cool looking power, I get all that. But as a story it's drek amongst the worst Disney has ever put out in a feature film. It feels like one of the most unabashedly recycled things they have ever done to me.

I absolutely loved the Hiro/Hitashi relationship in BH6 and Baymax who had a really unique design going on. The realization of this futuristic San Francisco with strong Japanese elements to it was so much fun to explore as the characters went about their business. I'll admit I'm totally biased since I live in SF, but they did such an amazing job bringing that to the screen. I REALLY wish we'd got to see more of the city.

This needs a sequel. Not just a sequel, but Marvel needs to see the potential in this new vision of the team and introduce it into the Marvel continuity! Marvel needs more asian frontliners and more cool robots! :p

And now that Marvel is trying to do away with Fantastic Four, Hiro would make a pretty cool "replacement" that kinda stands in for both Franklin Richards *and* Mister Fantastic.

Screw it, let's go even further and have Marvel replace San Francisco with San Fransokyo in the MU, would anyone even care? It's cool! I mean, SF looks to be going in that direction anyway, albeit very slowly. The asian population here is huge and ever growing.

HUELEN10

Have they made, or are there any plans to make, a Big Hero 6 Comic series based exclusively on the film property?

Rootbeer

Banned
I've been hoping they'd announce something... but I am pretty sure the answer is no?

Marvel doesn't seem to be taking advantage of this property the way they could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom