• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIG HERO 6 |OT| Like a Big Marshmallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Have they made, or are there any plans to make, a Big Hero 6 Comic series based exclusively on the film property?
If there were any plans, we'd know about them in the next month or two. They didn't hype it up prior, so they likely didn't know to make a comic ahead of time.

kyoya

With regards to comics or even a sequel, they're probably waiting to see how Big Hero 6 does in these places:

Hong Kong 18 December 2014
Italy 18 December 2014
Portugal 18 December 2014
Spain 19 December 2014
Japan 20 December 2014
Brazil 25 December 2014
Chile 25 December 2014
Colombia 25 December 2014
Peru 25 December 2014
Serbia 25 December 2014
Australia 26 December 2014
New Zealand 26 December 2014
South Africa 26 December 2014
Taiwan 31 December 2014
Uruguay 1 January 2015
Hungary 8 January 2015
Lithuania 9 January 2015
Turkey 9 January 2015
Czech Republic 22 January 2015
Germany 22 January 2015
South Korea 22 January 2015
Slovakia 22 January 2015
Bulgaria 23 January 2015
Estonia 23 January 2015
Finland 23 January 2015
Romania 23 January 2015
Austria 29 January 2015
Denmark 29 January 2015
UK 30 January 2015
Ireland 30 January 2015
Norway 30 January 2015
Sweden 30 January 2015
Belgium 11 February 2015
France 11 February 2015
Netherlands 11 February 2015
Croatia 12 February 2015

HUELEN10

Just saw it for the 3rd time, took my folks too see it...

Why isn't there more buzz about it? This is the best Disney film in years, what do they do? Pimp out last years flick.

Oy...

Why isn't there more buzz about it? This is the best Disney film in years, what do they do? Pimp out last years flick.

Oy...
Because Frozen is way more lucrative. The merchandizing alone is super lucrative.

But I agree. Love this movie.

Finally saw this tonight and I loved it SO MUCH!

I was expecting it to be just ok, but it was great!
Probably the best Disney movie I've seen in a long time

4Tran

Oy...
Frozen is actually more popular now than it was a year ago. It's probably one of Disney's top three franchises right now. Big Hero 6 can't compare to that.

Frozen has the entire Winter/Christmas season thing going for it too, as if Elsa and Let it Go weren't enough. It's going to be a mainstay of the holiday season for years and years to come. As good as BH6 is, it just doesn't have the same kind of legs. I'm sure it will have a decent enough impact worldwide however. Just this weekend it opened in one of the biggest territories, Japan.

Chariot

Oy...
I would buzz, but I still have to more than a month until it comes to germany. And even then I need to see if any cinema shows it in english.

Just saw this last night and it was pretty good. Took my 2 1/2 year old son and he liked but didn't love it as well. The visuals looked gorgeous thought. I'm pretty pumped it was my first movie with my son and he did well in the theatre. Looking forward to going with him in the future

Guardians of the Galaxy > Winter Soldier >> Big Hero 6 > Days of Future Past >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Amazing Spider-Man 2

My thoughts, really. I just had more fun with this than DoFP the more I think about it.

Good god, this may have been one of the best years for super hero movies
1st two are the best of MCU (imo)
DOTF is the top or very close to the top of the X-Men films
BH6 was really awesome

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Wow, I saw the poster at first and thought it looked like some dumb kids superhero cash-in, but looking at the trailers and impressions it sounds really good.

Still, I guess I'm going to wait for the blu-ray because I don't feel like going to the cinema with a bunch of kids around.

Ugh in Germany the film is called what roughly translates to

Baymax - Huge robo-bohu

They called the film baymax and slapped on a shitty subtitle? Why?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I would buzz, but I still have to more than a month until it comes to germany. And even then I need to see if any cinema shows it in english.

I do not know where you live, but hey visit me! the cinema in mannheim shows it in english :D

Baymax - Huge robo-bohu

because germany.

Chariot

Baymax - Huge robo-bohu

Germany. I bet they would've called it iRobot if that wasn't already used.

I do not know where you live, but hey visit me! the cinema in mannheim shows it in english :D
Hamburg, it's a bit far to travel to a total stranger. But thanks for the invitation :D

Astral Dog

Only watched this.

You know, for all the bad things
Callaghan
did, he would not had been able to save his daughter without his revenge scheme.

Ikael

I loved this movie to bits. Yes, it is not a too much deep nor ambitious movie, but frankly, it didn't need it to be it. It was funny as hell, it got a lot of heart (including some truthly tear-worthy moments), character and scenario design was off the charts, and mah gawd, the animation was truthly superb, carrying the movie and many of its gags by itself. In short: awsome, and much better than Frozen :p

Banzai

Damn do I want to see this but as usual i have to wait for the bluray release...I hate that there are no cinemas that show movies in english around here. (i live in germany)

one_kill

Saw it today with my wife and her little brother. She cried twice and nearly cried a third time. She wasn't expecting to like it - and only attended because her little brother and I wanted to see it - but she enjoyed it. As for her little bro, he enjoyed it quite a lot. He almost cried twice. And if you're wondering about me... I didn't cry nor get teary, but my heart strings were definitely pulled.

Anyway, I liked the characters. Hiro got annoying, but I understand why he acted the way that he did. My favourite character is Honey, but GoGo has some really cool moments. The plot needed work, but it's fine for the most part. The visuals were great, but the world didn't seem as lively.

Spoiler for post credits scene:
Stan Lee's cameo was great. I thought the family portrait was all it's going to be.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the animated short was also great. Lots of laughs.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Awesome, thank you.

I missed this in theaters but will try and catch it at a pub theater before the dvd.

Hamlet

Finally got to see it today and loved it. Baymax was great. I want my own Baymax now ha.
The
first flight over San Fransokyo with upgraded Baymax
was just gorgeous. Some lovely shots in that scene.
The villain reveal was a tad eh though it didn't damper the film too much for me. Great scene though when Hiro orders Baymax to kill the professor got surprisingly dark.

Post credits scene
was quite amusing with Stan Lee popping up.
The short "Feast" before the film was also pretty cute.

Here's hoping the film gets a sequel as i'll definitely be there day 1 to go see it.

Maximo

Extremely predicable movie but I enjoyed it alot more then I thought I would, hoping for a sequel. Also I have a Crush on GoGo.

Good movie all round, liked in more than Frozen though I don't rate Frozen as any more than good. Very funny movie too. You all definitely should watch it if you feel like having a good time.

I also love the diversity of the film, bravo to Disney on that one (not that it changes my score) but it's just so great to see a lead that is non-white (yeah I know he's technically a halfie ...)

Anyhow my negatives are a bit spoilery so ...

It is an incredibly predictable film though, the supporting cast is largely overlooked which is fine ... if you are going to stick to about 90 minutes excluding the short in front. But I still don't know why these movies have to be this short though.

Villain was completely non-threatening and underdeveloped.

Though I really don't think they matter, it's enjoyable enough if just for character's who are all likeable in my opinion and of course the humor of the film.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
going to see an advance preview at the odeon on the 4th Jan - doesn't open fully in the UK until the 30th (I'm guessing half term?). Looking forward to it but going in pretty blind

Finally saw it today, it's good but not great. The city and the side characters all looked so interesting, yet so underdeveloped, the film is called Big Hero 6, but the rest of team are "just there". The story was waaay too predictable, only a few moments really stood out.

To me, Tangled >= Frozen > Big Hero 6 > Wreck-it Ralph.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Lovely movie, really enjoyed it. Are the guys who made Wreck-It Ralph behind this? Hopefully, I've really enjoyed those two Disney movies.

farmerboy

Saw this on the weekend with my 5yo daughter. It is pretty formulaic but what it does it does well. Baymax is supremely likeable.

The visuals are breathtaking, the city scenes just felt so rich and dense. For me, this and The Croods are my current kings of art and IQ.

spoiler
One thing though, my daughter was inconsolable at the end, she was really upset when Baymax sacrificed himself. Maybe they could have better explained his revival through software a bit better. She was really upset.

BadWolf

Overall it was a fun movie with likable characters.

They played it a little too safe with the story etc. but it wasn't bad or anything, just nothing new. Gave off an Iron Giant vibe at the end.

Wouldn't mind a sequel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Baymax is a pretty cool character that kids are going to go gaga for and I love the way the film played with his materials. I think San Fransokyo is pretty inspired. The fractal electron microscope cloud world through the vortex was gorgeous looking.

... but that's pretty much it. The Big Hero squad are barely integrated into the film, except TJ Miller who plays the same dumb wisecrack character every animated kids movie has and really didn't earn the screentime he had. I have no idea if that's a remnant from a draft of the film where his character had a bigger role (the rock trolls in Frozen were a leftover from an earlier draft) or if they grafted him on to make the movie funnier or have another human character. We see very little of the city except for the flying sequence which is short and not super interesting. The plot is threadbare and literally dumping the exposition into five seconds of "Wait, the dead pilot is his daughter??? And now he wants revenge????" sucks. Also the film really had almost no emotion. Baymax's sacrifice was so obviously not going to stick and nothing else really registered emotionally at all.

The whole time I was watching it I was thinking "wow this is clearly being made for 10-12 year old boys" in a way that I haven't seen since, uh, Cars I guess? I have no idea what the comics are like but this was obviously made as part of the cradle-to-the-grave marvel fan machine. They have a formula, and they aren't afraid to use it. The post-credit sequence was embarrassing because it took the worst character of the movie, stuck him in with perennial comic fan in-joke cameo Stan Lee, and made a stupid teaser. It's such a vapid practice in the Marvel films, disappointing to see it here.

It doesn't drag as much as Wreck-it Ralph--which I was pretty meh on, and it's not as boring or empty as some of Disney's worst like Home on the Range, but I didn't think it was a good movie. I'd give it a marginal thumbs down or marginal thumbs up, definitely not a strong recommendation either way.

Astral Dog

Just think about it, without
Callaghan killing the brother, whats the motivation for Hiro to upgrade Baymax? and without that upgrade, they would never had been able to save his daughter, everyone was sure she was dead, the only person that cared was Callaghan
Anybody? :(

Target has an exclusive steelbook collectors edition

3pLOIa7.jpg

Blablurn

Saw it yesterday. Yes, they played it very safe with the movie but it was still pretty, pretty good. The sad moment were indeed really sad. Especially in the beginning.

The co characters were alright too. I liked Hiro. And his brother was a cool guy as well. Of course Baymax stole the show. That thing is so cute >_<. I could watch a whole movie with Baymax doing Baymax things.

Fj0823

Saw the movie yesterday.
GAT DAMN Mexican dubs for animated movies are always spot on. Makes me wonder why TV dubs for Latin America are usually done in other...more talentless studios.

Loved the movie to death, probably the most well done Disneysification of an IP. I want this version to be BH6 from now on.

Xun

The film finally came out yesterday in the UK and I saw it today.

Good film, even if it was somewhat predictable.

The villain reveal especially, which I predicted the moment the character was introduced.

They tried throwing people off with Krei, but him being the villain seemed too obvious for it to be the case.

I still have no idea why Disney dropped 3D bluray for animated movies in US.
It's why I still haven't purchased Frozen. When it came out I thought "I'll wait for the 3D release when they release it for the holidays." Huh, that came and went with no 3D release, hmm? Guess I hold on this too.

That got really dark for a second there. Really emotional too
When he finally let his feelings out about Hus brother.
All of the kids in my theater were crying at certain points of the movie, especially the ending.
"Yes Baymax, I am satisfied with my care"

God just reading the phrase gave me shivers. I was crying manly tears there...

And also: Hiro and Baymax relationship >>>>> anything frozen offered.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The more I ponder with this film the more it feels less special to me. Felt like it's mediocre when compared to a typical Kamen Rider episode.

It is much more emotionally wavering than Frozen though, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom