• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billiards player makes unbelievable shots during game

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yeah, I mean what are the physics behind it?

It's just a case of adding certain types of spin to the cueball. In that case, back spin.

For the curve shot back spin and a bit of side spin i.e hitting the lower left side of the cueball.

You can also use spin off bumpers to drastically change the way the cueball behaves.

Yeah, I mean what are the physics behind it?
1200px-Havok_logo.svg.png

Budi

Damn, unfortunate to see a fellow Finn get schooled like that. But that's really impressive.
Also wanted to share a gif from the Color of the Money, so here you go!
giphy.gif

HeySeuss

That curved shot was more impressive to me than the 4 rail one at the end. Knowing how to masse it just right for the proper arc to hit the ball around the right angle so it goes in is much more difficult than a 4 rail bank

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So not trying to downplay this but those looked like a lot of shots most professional pool players should be able to make. Am I missing something? Don't get me wrong that one shot that bounced around the entire table through all the other balls to sink the corner pocket was fucking hot but... curving a ball or anything isn't exactly mind blowing for guys of that level.

Having the ability to do it and having the ability to do it in competition when your tournament life is on the line are two different things. And in the post-game interview the guy even says the four-bumper shot is maybe a 1 in 40 chance of working. He's really, really good.

That curved shot was more impressive to me than the 4 rail one at the end. Knowing how to masse it just right for the proper arc to hit the ball around the right angle so it goes in is much more difficult than a 4 rail bank
4 rail bank through all those balls is impressive to even see, let alone execute. All three shots are insane!

Par Score

Anybody unimpressed by these shots fails to understand the difference between exhibition and competition. This was a match with money on the line in a tournament setting, not some dude showing off with infinite takes to get it right.

"Straight on, no good"

wut?

For amateurs, being straight on a shot is often good, as it's easier to make that shot. Amateurs are rarely planning more than one shot ahead after all.

For professionals, being straight on a shot is often bad, because it prevents you from doing much with the cue-ball. Professionals aren't just trying to pot the ball they're on, they're looking 2 or 3 or more shots ahead. If you don't have any angle to work with, it's hard to position the cue-ball for the next shot.

Other ball was straight behind his shot so it was in his way.

That's true, but not what was being referred to.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love the commentator trying to talk like he knows what is happening until he too finally has to admit "okay I have no idea what this is" haha, amazing play.

How has no one posted the correct image yet?

pxX27Q9.gif

That said:

Which shot am I supposed to be impressed by? I saw 2 very impressive shots. Was it the english to get the 2?

So not trying to downplay this but those looked like a lot of shots most professional pool players should be able to make. Am I missing something? Don't get me wrong that one shot that bounced around the entire table through all the other balls to sink the corner pocket was fucking hot but... curving a ball or anything isn't exactly mind blowing for guys of that level.

These.

Jezbollah

The only time we get 8 ball Pool here is during the Mosconi Cup near Christmas.

And 99% of the time it's the Europeans wrecking the USA. Lovely.

God bless Earl Strickland though. When that guy got triggered it was great TV

DBT85

For amateurs, being straight on a shot is often good, as it's easier to make that shot. Amateurs are rarely planning more than one shot ahead after all.

For professionals, being straight on a shot is often bad, because it prevents you from doing much with the cue-ball. Professionals aren't just trying to pot the ball they're on, they're looking 2 or 3 or more shots ahead. If you don't have any angle to work with, it's hard to position the cue-ball for the next shot.

That's true, but not what was being referred to.

I know exactly what they were trying to say, but that shouldn't and clearly wasn't an issue for a decent pro. It's not where you want to be, but its far from "no good".

The only time we get 8 ball Pool here is during the Mosconi Cup near Christmas.

And 99% of the time it's the Europeans wrecking the USA. Lovely.

God bless Earl Strickland though. When that guy got triggered it was great TV

Speaking of Strickland, another one of the GOAT shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6G_RnPh1yw

I loved Strickland though, everyone loved to hate him but his tantrums always cracked me up. Mosconi Cup isn't the same without him.

I'm garbage at pool but if you hit the ball a little lower than centre you're put backspin on it which will make it stop when it connects with another ball. Likewise hit it above centre to make it continue moving forward afterwards

someone else can correct me if I'm wrong

No you're Spot on

I play a lot of pool, and I've made my fair share of long massés or bizarre multi-rail banks. But that opening shot? I've never tried to call anything like that in my life. Back-cut the object ball so it will finish on the cushion, while controlling the cueball to go the side rail and back into another ball to finish a combination where you had to move the ball into position to be pocketed DURING the shot. That is absolutely insane.

The massé was probably the easiest shot of the three, since the two ball was tight on the cushion and he was playing it wide enough that there was zero chance of contacting his opponent's balls and committing a foul; worst-case scenario there is failing to pocket the ball and turning over control of the table (granted, Immonen likely would have had the runout from there).

And the end... Who even thinks to try to play position for a four-rail bank? That was bananas. Incredible stuff. I would've tried forcing the cueball through on the seven with top-right to try and punch through around the angles and leave position for the one ball in the side, and I probably would have ended up snookering myself. He just casually rolls in the seven like, hey, no problem, I'm exactly where I want to be. That's confidence right there.

Philly40

What size of table is this - looks 9 or 10 feet?

The four cushion shot is obviously amazing but professional snooker players make swerve shots like the first gif regularly, and on a much bigger table.

Top Bottom