• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite's first DLC most likely to be revealed on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoggy

And considering Ken has been off writing Logan's Run or whatever it is, it seems to add up that it wouldn't be anything story driven.

thats what i've been thinking too.

if that turns out to be true oh man that sucks for season pass owners.

but then again this is just another example of why you should NEVER buy a season pass before DLC comes out

spirity

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if this is anything to go by, it's called Clash in the Clouds and is a horde based mode.

Translation claims it has "enemy waves, four new maps, characters to unlock and scoring through leaderboards."

Gutted.

That link goes to a game called Cloudberry Kingdom?

Nemesis_

That link goes to a game called Cloudberry Kingdom?

No it doesn't, it goes to a generic listing page. Meaning that the original page was taken down - did anyone manage to screen grab it? I assume their swift removal confirms it's authenticity (and let's face it, why would someone make all that up?)

Brodie's post was legit - it looks like this might be a Horde mode.

I mean, media knew about this a whole day before the reveal scheduled for this morning, so I wouldn't find it unreasonable to suspect a site accidently put it up early.

Err, the first Dishonored DLC was not just some horde wave mode.

Wasn't Dunwall City Trials something like that? I didn't buy that one but I think it was a set of challenges including something like what is being described here. Anyway, it wasn't story related so that's my point.

Edit: they took it down? I already closed my tab...

Nemesis_

Wasn't Dunwall City Trials something like that? I didn't buy that one but I think it was a set of challenges including something like what is being described here. Anyway, it wasn't story related so that's my point.

But the ones following that were better for Dishonored, right?

RIGHT?!21

Xanathus

If you're a glass half full kind of person, they're probably just releasing a quick and easy to make DLC to satiate the masses while working on a more substantial DLC.

If you're a glass half empty kind of person, thanks for the money suckaaaaas.

Dunwall City Trials consists of ten trials; some stealthy, some action-oriented, some sort-of puzzle-oriented and some platforming-oriented. I guess one of the trials is sort of like a horde mode. Over-all it's a pretty cool DLC for a low price. But yeah, it's not story related. It has no story at all.

The next two Dishonored DLC's (one of which hasn't been released yet) is story related trhough.

Nemesis_

If you're a glass half full kind of person, they're probably just releasing a quick and easy to make DLC to satiate the masses while working on a more substantial DLC.

If you're a glass half empty kind of person, thanks for the money suckaaaaas.

I know I'm probably in denial, but if you're working on three DLC packages, and one of them is the worst (arguably) wouldn't you want to put that one out first?

My idea was that maybe this was just some kind of publisher pressure to put out something to encourage the mainstream to grab BioShock Infinite again and keep it - a multiplayer (?) horde mode with progression and the like would satiate that goal (albeit lazily).

So the next two will be more substantial DLC exploring the world of Columbia.

I mean, the DLC is due out before March 2014, right? Extrapolating current scheduling - that just wouldn't happen. They're closer to a more regular release schedule for the DLC now than they ever were.

Or it's all a fucking mess and I'm looking into things too much.

I feel no remorse for people who bought this season pass.

It was the sleaziest, directionless, and most obvious cash grab I have ever seen a publisher do.

Rockstar games is so much better at it than irrational games should be ashamed. Of Course we haven't played it yet. But at least with the rockstar pass you knew what you'd get in writing, on dates pre-determined.

Zeliard

Put some heavy Skyline action in that and I'm for it. I liked Bioshock Infinite's combat, for the most part.

If it's some boring flat arena with a constant stream of enemies, that's certainly less interesting. But if they offer that freedom of movement through the Skylines and give the player some fun toys to play with, let's do it. If the DLC does in fact end up a horde mode variant, the level design will make or break this thing.

Nothing would be neater than an actual substantive Minerva's Den-esque DLC for this game, but in lieu of that, I'm generally interested in a solid combat-based offering.

Lakitu

st5fu
The only way I'll feel better is if this isn't part of the season pass. They promised us 3 story based DLCs with it. That would be false marketing.

afoni

Banned
I feel no remorse for people who bought this season pass.

It was the sleaziest, directionless, and most obvious cash grab I have ever seen a publisher do.

Rockstar games is so much better at it that the devs should be ashamed. Of Course we haven't played it yet. But at least with the rockstar pass you knew what you'd get in writing.

I respected you for the first two paragraphs because you identified it as the publisher's doing, but then the third paragraph pinned it on the dev.

Shameful.

Nemesis_

The only way I'll feel better is if this isn't part of the season pass. They promised us 3 story based DLCs with it. That would be false marketing.

"THIS IS THE STORY! THIS WAR WAS HAPPENING WHILE YOU WERE TRAVELLING TO COLUMBIA"

done.

I expect a lot of furore over this.

The combat in infinite was quite decisive to people (whilst i liked it), having a mode based primarily on that aspect is going to them any favours when expecting the rest of the content.

I wonder if we end up just getting one piece of (substantial) story content in the end. I hope it's two but you never no.

In regards to the horde mode, I like them, and any exuse to spend time in Columbia I'm up for it. As long as the areas/level design is interesting.

wow, I never thought their DLC would focus on the worst aspect of the game....the gunplay. Did not see that coming. I really expected heavily focused story DLC.

fantomena

A horde mode?

sometimes-the-internet-just-sucks.gif

spirity

wow, I never thought their DLC would focus on the worst aspect of the game....the gunplay. Did not see that coming. I really expected heavily focused story DLC.

I actually think the gunplay was great, I only wished I could hold more than 2 weapons. But I understand the complaints of there being just too much of it (even though personally I was ok with it).

Calling it now: Big Daddy skins for Elizabeth.

And unlockable hats.

Super excited whatever it is. Seems like a lot of work is going into the DLC based on how long it's taking to announce, so hopefully my Season Pass purchase will not have been in vain.

lol
this gets me everytime

Zoggy

did they explicitly say it would be 3 story based DLCs or just 3 pieces of DLC and we all assumed it was SP story based because thats what the BI game was?

Alienous

I want them to make that multiplayer mode they were considering, but I suppose that's cut content.

Imagine the possibilities. A game mode where each team has an airship they have to protect whilst trying to destroy their enemies. Crazy skyline combat. Infiltrate the enemies airship using a skyline, plant an explosive and try to keep the enemy from diffusing it.

Arena based combat with weapon pick ups. Switches in the level that will allow you to electrify skylines. Frantic, fast-paced ... it would be so fun.

It's a shame they couldn't manage to do it.

did they explicitly say it would be 3 story based DLCs or just 3 pieces of DLC and we all assumed it was SP story based because thats what the BI game was?

Only this:

DLC is single player content. When I said we cut DLC, we cut it. We don’t cut with a plan to put in DLC.

— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) February 21, 2013

brodie_dg

Neo Member
Ken said "no" to someone who asked about multiplayer earlier, but I guess that doesn't exactly rule out co-operative horde or anything.

I'd say it rules out competitive at this stage, though. Leaderboards suggests to me it might be solo, though.

crayman

The steam page I bought it from promises:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214933/ said:
More Stories, More Weapons, More Characters. Extend the narrative and adventure with the BioShock Infinite Season Pass.

I guess this would come under extending the adventure? If they write a paragraph of scenario story about the horde mode, I guess that counts as more stories!

The steam page I bought it from promises:

I guess this would come under extending the adventure? If they write a paragraph of scenario story about the horde mode, I guess that counts as more stories!

It could still be true for the season pass as a whole. As long as one of the dlcs delivers that stuff you can't accuse them of lying.

Lakitu

st5fu
Could have sworn the season pass screen in the menu said they were story based content. Might be mistaken. Not at home till tonight so I cant check.

Raitaro

If it has to be horde mode DLC, why don't they allow you to control songbird as he defends Elizabeth against potential attackers as part of his training?

Ideally you could control him to parry the attacks of all the (story spoiler incoming)
previous Bookers that tried to take her away. That way they would be able to show us how those Bookers fared as well.

I'd also love a prequel in which we get to play through the (second story spoiler coming)
war events mentioned by Slate that led to Booker and Comstock becoming separate versions during the baptism.

I'd want them to at least give us some additional DLC that further fleshes out Columbia or the backstory of a character though, so as long as it features that, I would be willing to try it even if it primarily packaged as a horde mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom