• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock still alive, being made by revived 2K Marin; CEO thinks it could sell better

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think they work out of 2K Navato headquarters now, given they've started hired for fps/rpg staff, which is how they always hire for BioShock.

A few of 2K Marin's staff transferred there when the studio got shut down, so presumably they're the core of the new 2K Marin.

GameSpot said:
Finally, Zelnick was asked a question about the future of BioShock. He wouldn't give anything specific about where the series may be headed in the future, but agreed with the interviewer's suggestion that the BioShock series overall has not reached its commercial potential yet.

"We haven't given any color on how you should think about it yet except we do believe it's beloved; we think it's important [and] certainly something that we're focused on; something 2K Marin will be responsible for shepherding going forward. I don't want to say much else except to agree with you. I think there's a lot of upside in that franchise," Zelnick said. "It hasn't necessarily been realized yet. And the question for the future, assuming we decide to answer the question, would be 'How do you stay true to that creatively?'; 'How do you do something exciting?'; and 'How do you do expand the market?'. That would be the natural drill. We're starting from a good point on it. And certainly it's been a great piece of business for us; it's been a profitable piece of business."

The most recent entry in the BioShock series, last year's BioShock: Infinite, has shipped over 6.5 million copies to date. Developer Irrational Games dissolved earlier this year, and all development on the franchise in the future will be handled by 2K Marin.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/an...-dead-redemption-2-is-happening/1100-6419966/

Silky

Banned
2K Marin did wonders with Bioshock 2. I have faith in them continuing what Infinite established.

...Or, you know, they could just do a Bioshock game focused on Eleanor Lamb

Banned
I'm interested in seeing what they can do with the IP without Levine's writing. Bioshock 2 was fun, it just didn't do to much different from the first one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can't wait for biofield:warfare :(

is this the reason levine bailed ?

I imagine it had more to do with the project complete derailing for years until Rod Fergusson and Jordan Thomas came and put it back on track, who both left afterwards.

I think he realized the way he operated the odds of shipping another AAA game successfully were really low.

Gryph

It will be interesting to see how this works without Levine's "forceful" leadership...

I hope a lot like Bioshock 2, which was lovely.

Duxxy3

So the next Bioshock will be made by the people that did Bioshock 2.

Just let me know when I can pre-order.

Massa

I think what he meant to say was "we gutted all our talented teams responsible for the Bioshock games in order to show you some positive short term results, so it will takes us about 5 years to ship yet another overbudget, underperforming game in the series as we have to rebuild from scratch. But hey, maybe GTA VI will be out by then to hide my incompetence".

modeyv2

Banned
I don't know. I feel like the series has been going downhill since the launch title. Bioshock was was very immersive. 2 was okay, lost the magic and curiosity somehow. Infinite gained back some of the curiosity, but lost due to the poor way it was made, gameplay wise and exploration (boring powers, limiting weapons). I loved how Bioshock 1 was completely free roam. It just didn't feel the same. If they can gain back that magic, whilst still making it free roam. I'd happily give it another chance.

Teeth

With 6 million sold, I imagine they feel like it sells great, they just need to be able to make them cheaper. A two to three year dev cycle with an efficient team is probably what they are targeting.

I don't believe the 2K Marin team that made Bioshock 2 is anything like what exists now. That game excelled in encounter and level design. It really captured the style of player-driven and player-instigated encounters and I feel like there are few shooters that do that (well, at least). Traps were actually useful in Bioshock 2.

But without the level designers, it's a total toss up as to whether a new Bioshock game will be any good.

Bluth54

I'm interested in seeing what they can do with the IP without Levine's writing. Bioshock 2 was fun, it just didn't do to much different from the first one.

Well I imagine they were told by 2K not to make Bioshock 2 too much different from the first one, they probably wanted a stop gap sequel since Infinity was going to take awhile.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With 6 million sold, I imagine they feel like it sells great, they just need to be able to make them cheaper. A two to three year dev cycle with an efficient team is probably what they are targeting.

I don't believe the 2K Marin team that made Bioshock 2 is anything like what exists now. That game excelled in encounter and level design. It really captured the style of player-driven and player-instigated encounters and I feel like there are few shooters that do that (well, at least). Traps were actually useful in Bioshock 2.

But without the level designers, it's a total toss up as to whether a new Bioshock game will be any good.
Well their CEO explicitly said they're asking themselves "How do you do expand the market?", so they at least want to raise sales somewhat.

But yes development costs are on the table top.

Zabuza

Banned
This could be bad or it could be good.

Honestly I'm all for more Bioshock, even without Levine B2 was a pretty good game.

LQX

I just want more BioShock. If some would stop the hate for Infinite and take a look at the gaming landscape they would notice there are not many games like it. Fuckers should be thankful and greatful that game was made.

no thanks. didn't like Bioshock 2 in the least bit, felt repetitive of the original Bioshock and the story was "meh". Bioshock Infinite was a real treat and provided perfect closure to the series. i have no desire to return to Rapture or Columbia. you can make another Bioshock game, but i wont buy it.

ignata

If it's another universe and not just Bioshock Infinite 2, it would probably turn out better than trying to forcefully tack on more lore onto someone else's vision, as was Bioshock 2.

A-V-B

Oh man. Trying to maximize sales and get that Skyrim/Call of Duty crowd, huh? Best of luck, guys. You're gonna need it.

Teeth

I liked Bioshock 2. I know I'm in the minority though. Hopefully we get another good game.

I think people who like playing games rather than watching them tend to like Bioshock 2.

Well their CEO explicitly said they're asking themselves "How do you do expand the market?", so they at least want to raise sales somewhat.

But yes development costs are on the table top.

I imagine they feel pretty hamstrung in their analysis. Multiplayer didn't work. Men-with-guns marketing didn't work.

What other management-driven options work? You can't bank on quality, at least from a corporate perspective.

megamerican

On one hand Infinite was about as good of closure as you could provide for the series. On the other I'm not sick of that universe yet, and Bioshock 2 was solid enough. Get the guys that did Minerva's Den to write it though, Bioshock 2's main weakness was the narrative.

A-V-B

I love Bioshock 2, btw, but I think a good deal of the people who made that game what it was aren't with the team anymore. We'll never get Minerva's Den 2, that's for sure.

Gryph

I just want more BioShock. If some would stop the hate for Infinite and take a look at the gaming landscape they would notice there are not many games like it. Fuckers should be thankful and greatful that game was made.

I would respectfully disagree. I feel that Infinite is a very traditional game in almost every sense. The real charm is in an imaginative setting.

Secondly it's not necessary for us to be grateful simply because something is unique. Plenty of experiments are failures, no one is required to be ecstatic simply because one dealer's doses are a pretty color.

Elixist

I love the style of the graphics and would like to see somethin way deeper rpg wise and way more depth to the encounters, seperate paths, good stealth options.

Valhelm

contribute something
There's so much to be done with the Bioshock universe but I'm not sure if I trust 2K Marin to do it right.

Freeman

Banned
Its full potential will only be reached once it is a multiplayer shooter set in the near future.

Bioshock Infinite was great but you could clearly see that was a game in conflict with itself and the game was worse because of that.

Hmm.. despite how I feel about Levine fucking up the story with Burial at Sea, I'm not sure if I would want another Bioshock without him at the helm. Can't say I would be very interested in the next game since he's gone.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Question is: Can there be too much BioShock?

Yes:
It opens a whole other crate of worlds and ideas to explore

No:
They'll ruin it and make us remember the good old days. Why fix something that isn't broken?

The reboot would need some serious writers. I mean, you could make another one, but don't get the idea that 5-6 BioShock games are the answer. Maybe 1 or 2 more. If it's good, hell make a trilogy, sell the series off in another 10 years. HD remakes and superior console versions galore.

Top Bottom