• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock still alive, being made by revived 2K Marin; CEO thinks it could sell better

RalchAC

With 6 million sold, I imagine they feel like it sells great, they just need to be able to make them cheaper. A two to three year dev cycle with an efficient team is probably what they are targeting.

I don't believe the 2K Marin team that made Bioshock 2 is anything like what exists now. That game excelled in encounter and level design. It really captured the style of player-driven and player-instigated encounters and I feel like there are few shooters that do that (well, at least). Traps were actually useful in Bioshock 2.

But without the level designers, it's a total toss up as to whether a new Bioshock game will be any good.

Didn't Bioshock Infinite dropped in price quite fastly? A friend of mine tried to sell his copy 5 months after release and GameStop offered him 3€. I was quite surprised

I agree that Bioshock 2 was quite a good game. I need to buy Minerva's Den someday.

The story was GOTY material. The genre wasn't fitting though and sadly the gameplay was shit.

I wouldn't say the game play was shit, more like average. The encounter design was the worst offender here IMO. While playing it felt as if I were playing something the team did in 6 months because they needed to release the game and they couldn't make what they wanted with that little time left.

And fuck the Banshee XD

2K Marin did wonders with Bioshock 2. I have faith in them continuing what Infinite established.

...Or, you know, they could just do a Bioshock game focused on Eleanor Lamb

Wonders is a little exaggerated, but BS2 was a decent game. Minverva's Den was incredible though, if they could stretch something like that over an entire game, I'd be extremely happy.

Strike

Eh. We'll see. Not surprised as I recall it being mention around the time of Irrational's closure that the series would be continuing.

Not sure how I feel about this. I wasn't really a fan of 2, but the gameplay was much better than 1 and Infinite. Too bad the story dragged it down.

I'm interested to see what they do anyway.

Melchiah

2K Marin did wonders with Bioshock 2. I have faith in them continuing what Infinite established.

Agreed. I think it had the best gameplay in the series. Now that Levine isn't involved, I'd like to see them abandon the predictable plot twists.

I'm glad to hear the series lives on.

It will be interesting to see where they take the series next. I don't want to return to Rapture, and I don't think I'm interested in revisiting Columbia either. My next guess would be going to the near future and looking at cyber technology and cyborgs, but they'd have to do it in such a way not to tread on Deus Ex's shoes.

120v

I think Infinite opened up the possibility of Bioshock becoming like Final Fantasy in regards to each entry being its own world. there's a shitload of possibilities though i don't really want them doing one without Levine

BI was my favorite game last gen, and may be my favorite game of all time, so the next one will be the most anticipated game of this gen for me. i just pray to god they don't fuck it up

Lijik

Some of my favorite 2K Marin people arent at 2K anymore but Bioshock 2 was my favorite bioshock was my favorite so im excited regardless
we got an underwater city, then a flying city, time to go underground

I was just joking to a friend before hearing this news about a bioshock game set in a city in the earths core somehow

Kariodude

Banned
Didn't 2K Marin make Bioshock 2? That just confirms that Bioshock is dead for sure. Bioshock 2 was a huge piece of garbage with tacked on Multiplayer, which is probably exactly what they think the game needs to reach it's sales potential.

Bricky

What I am really curious about is what kind of setting a new Bioshock made by this team would take place in. No way they are returning to Rapture anymore and Columbia isn't really a place that has more interesting stories to be told in it. It would be extremely interesting to see a different studio than Irrational build a world for the Bioshock universe. I highly doubt they can match the atmosphere and artstyles created by the master world builders at Irrational, but who knows?

We've had System shock, Bioshock, it's time for a new fresh Shock series. After 3 games, I think I've seen enough of the game mechanics.

Did wonders? Bioshock 2 was a boring and forgettable game, felt like Bioshock 1.5, a really long DLC for the original that didn't add anything new. If there is to be another Shock game, it needs to be from Ken Levine.

Purely from a game design perspective Bioshock 2 is actually the best in the franchise so it's in good hands.
As for sales, I don't think it's realistic to expect more. A single-player only FPS that doesn't have a war/dude-bro theme isn't going to push more than 6 million which is already a great number.
Maybe they're considering MP again (hopefully not) but it's a lost battle. Don't even waste your time with that guys.

EGM1966

The Bioshock I'm interested in I doubt has much higher sales potential. I want the mechanics of 2 with the narrative/tone of 1 minus the borked ending.

I don't really want more Infinite although I'm guessing that's exactly the direction they'll go : lots of shooting with forced narrative around it and a few weak sauce elements of "social depth" in a nicely realized setting with a few gimmick mechanics like the rifts / skylines that barely get exploited beyond the glaringly obvious.

On a positive note at least any title would be solid if not amazing if they control development time/cost and at least deliver the engaging setting they've managed so far.

Personally though I'm kind of out on the franchise and I feel it's just a brand name now with no real direction/need for more in the same milieu. I guess they'd argue the "muliverse" they've opened up means easy rinse/repeat but that doesn't work for me and I wish Infinite didn't even try to attach itself to Bioshock at all nor use that brand.

We've had System shock, Bioshock, it's time for a new fresh Shock series. After 3 games, I think I've seen enough of the game mechanics.

Did wonders? Bioshock 2 was a boring and forgettable game, felt like Bioshock 1.5, a really long DLC for the original that didn't add anything new. If there is to be another Shock game, it needs to be from Ken Levine.

Don't agree. Bioshock 2 is far above either Bioshock or Bioshock Infinite.

Valtýr

Thought the gameplay loop in BS2 was pretty much junk. The first time I finished guarding a little sister and saw I needed to do it several more times I turned the game off. Boring recycled gameplay. Hopefully they figure out how to not do that again.

Top Bottom