• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock still alive, being made by revived 2K Marin; CEO thinks it could sell better

MUnited83

For you.
Marin did the best Bioshock game. Consider me hyped. After Infinite I really wouldn't buy a Levine/Irrational Bioshock again. (not at full price anyways)

I would respectfully disagree. I feel that Infinite is a very traditional game in almost every sense. The real charm is in an imaginative setting.

Secondly it's not necessary for us to be grateful simply because something is unique. Plenty of experiments are failures, no one is required to be ecstatic simply because one dealer's doses are a pretty color.

I think the difference with Infinite is that its story pushed boundaries in a lot of ways. Sure there were some very good stories in video games before, but Infinite topped many, if not all of them in its story. It may have had major flaws and some plot holes, but I view it in the same way as The Dark Knight Rises. It's flawed and a lot of people hate it for that, and there might be other games that feel satisfying without doing what it does, but it tries to go above tired tropes and cliches that fill video game stories and succeeds in such a way that looking back at it, it deserves some praise, if not a lot of praise.

Edit: What I mean with the The Dark Knight Rises comparison is that DKR, like The Dark Knight, tried to push comic book movies to a higher standard, the difference being DKR also tried to make it into a political metaphor at the same time and kind of caused a lot of flaws.

As long as you ignore the terrible combat. Still find it to be incredibly annoying.

Shaanyboi

Banned
He wouldn't give anything specific about where the series may be headed in the future, but agreed with the interviewer's suggestion that the BioShock series overall has not reached its commercial potential yet.

Why does this worry me...

lord pie

I'm confused,

And certainly it's been a great piece of business for us; it's been a profitable piece of business.

Is he talking about the franchise as a whole? I was under the impression that despite it's excellent sales, Infinite wasn't a financial success - hence the closing of Irrational?

Then again I didn't follow the story that closely.

scitek

Weren't they in charge of Infinite's DLC, but then Levine saw what they were doing wasn't up to his standards, so he took it from them and made it himself?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused,

Is he talking about the franchise as a whole? I was under the impression that despite it's excellent sales, Infinite wasn't a financial success - hence the closing of Irrational?

Then again I didn't follow the story that closely.

I think part of the problem was investors didn't want to risk Levine's next titles taking five years each.

A-V-B

Weren't they in charge of Infinite's DLC, but then Levine saw what they were doing wasn't up to his standards, so he took it from them and made it himself?

Which means we never got to see the awesome scene of Columbia crashing into the ocean.

Amir0x

Banned
If by gameplay you mean combat, that's usually been the weakest part of the Bioshock franchise.

Well yes; it's just Bioshock 2 greatly improved about the mechanics of the first game. So I'm saying it's very possible whatever 2K Marin comes up with will play much better than Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite, which is appealing to me in a different way.

If you're going to expand on Infinite's setting, that's fine. If you expand on Rapture, it's a bit over done at this point. If you create your own setting, that's fine as long as it's good and
you don't end up retconning it so that it's just a prequel to the Rapture universe.

Still can't believe they did that.

Courage

Theoretically it allowed for an unlimited amount of stories to be told. Doesn't mean those stories NEED to be told.

Exactly. It cracked open the basis of every game that would ever follow thereby removing the mystery permeating the series. If we know the structure of every story that will follow that makes it inherently less interesting than anything preceding it.

Renekton

I would respectfully disagree. I feel that Infinite is a very traditional game in almost every sense. The real charm is in an imaginative setting.

Secondly it's not necessary for us to be grateful simply because something is unique. Plenty of experiments are failures, no one is required to be ecstatic simply because one dealer's doses are a pretty color.
Gratitude is better than taking innovation and creativity for granted. Progress is not magical automatic unstoppable. There are droughts that can outlast our lifetime.

Other

At least it'll probably ship in a reasonable timeframe and on budget without Levine providing terrible leadership and leading them to start over again and again

I'm not sure. Sounds like a challenge. Infinite took the series to another level and changed it up. BioShock 4 can't be just another BioShock 2 on next gen consoles.

It'll have to be a whole new game and experience, in my opinion.

A-V-B

What would be sort of cool would be a sequel starring Eleanor Lamb. Only problem is you need a new setting.

SURGEdude

Liked Bio 1. And Infinite was incredible.

But I lost interest about halfway through 2. Just seemed like the story and game-play dragged. Might give it a shot again if they ever do an updated collection, but even then I'm not sure if I would have the patience.

That said I know the game has fans, so I'm not unhappy if the people behind 2 get another chance at it.

Bioshock 2 is the best game in the series in my mind, I certainly found it to be the most fun to play. If some of the team from 2K Marin are on this, it's great news.

Valhelm

contribute something
Give us a Bioshock set in a dark 1980s setting. Gritty, with weird-ass retro technology and huge white computers with white-on-black text. Protagonist is Julip Yee, ethnically Chinese computer whiz with a punk aesthetic, who battles the corrupt police of in the city of Alameda.

As Julip, we uncover the dark secrets of this city, ruled by the notoriously cruel Councilman Vargas. We are given cybernetic enhancements that let us take control of the city's power grid and magically attack our enemies. The game's aesthetic would include huge amounts of neon, a good deal of rain, cacti, spiky hair, late 80s tech, and a big East Asian influence.

Instead of the sea or sky, our isolation is the desert. Alameda's districts are connected across the sand by a series of electric trains, and the entire city is covered by a dome to protect from the irradiated night.

Soundtrack by Kavinsky.

Orayn

'How do you do expand the market?'

Everyone excited for Shock of Duty 2016? It's sure to have a nonsensical plot twist, technobabble that treats some random scientific concept like literal fucking magic, and zero cohesion between the setting, plot, and mechanics. You know, all the elements that made Bioshock Infinite the greatest work of art ever conceived by the mind of a sentient being.

Fuchsdh

2K Marin did wonders with Bioshock 2. I have faith in them continuing what Infinite established.

...Or, you know, they could just do a Bioshock game focused on Eleanor Lamb

How about neither? Infinite shit over the previous two games, and the ending of those aforementioned games basically makes it impossible to directly continue the threads without undermining player choice.

I do want to see a conclusion to the Rapture storyline. But I don't really even think that necessarily has to have any established characters, except maybe Tenenbaum.

The city either rises up or finally gets crushed under the pressure.

Bioshock 2 had fun multiplayer, and the fact that it had multiplayer didn't stop it from being the best Bioshock game.

I'd call the multiplayer diverting, and I think it did a good job with the story integration, but it's far too easy to exploit and the "I get better weapons because I've grinded through this game" kills the appeal after a while. The progression would need to be rethought.

Gryph

I think the difference with Infinite is that its story pushed boundaries in a lot of ways. Sure there were some very good stories in video games before, but Infinite topped many, if not all of them in its story. It may have had major flaws and some plot holes, but I view it in the same way as The Dark Knight Rises. It's flawed and a lot of people hate it for that, and there might be other games that feel satisfying without doing what it does, but it tries to go above tired tropes and cliches that fill video game stories and succeeds in such a way that looking back at it, it deserves some praise, if not a lot of praise.

I have no issue with this comparison. Infinite is clumsy and messy as far as story is concerned but that's mostly a result of trying to tell a larger story than most video games and the inherent clumsiness of the video game story and dialogue creation process.

It certainly tried to build a narrative thrust more comprehensive than your average shooter.

Gratitude is better than taking innovation and creativity for granted. Progress is not magical automatic unstoppable. There are droughts that can outlast our lifetime.

I'm afraid I would disagree. I can't think of a single drought of creativity since 1300. Rarity does not posses inherent value. What's more, I resent the idea of "required gratitude" and I would say that simply because someone does not exalt an object for its attempted uniqueness does not mean that they are taking innovation for granted.

A team of very talented individuals worked very hard to make Infinite, that effort is important. However it doesn't mean that I should be required to be thankful for the product anymore than they need to be grateful for work of mine that they don't like.

A-V-B

Everyone excited for Shock of Duty 2016? It's sure to have a nonsensical plot twist, technobabble that treats some random scientific concept like literal fucking magic, and zero cohesion between the setting, plot, and mechanics. You know, all the elements that made Bioshock Infinite the greatest work of art ever conceived by the mind of a sentient being.

Except this time, it'll be exposition communicated completely over radio, in between orders of, "Martinez! Close that portal!"

FHIZ

Infinite sort of shut the door on Bioshock for me. They either play along with it and you know variables and what not, or they don't play along and then they're doing it wrong.

TyrantII

Well their CEO explicitly said they're asking themselves "How do you do expand the market?", so they at least want to raise sales somewhat.

But yes development costs are on the table top.

Good news is they'll throw a AAA budget behind the next one then if they're looking to expand on 6 million sales.

Bad news is they;re looking to expand on 6 million sales and nothing will be sacred.

My guess is we're right back in rapture, without the nuance.

Minions

Good to hear. I have faith they can put out a great game. Though I thought the second bioshock was a little worse than the first, it was by no means a bad game. I'm glad to hear "bioshock" is not ending.... though I'm not entirely sure what defines bioshock.

A-V-B

Infinite sort of shut the door on Bioshock for me. They either play along with it and you know variables and what not, or they don't play along and then they're doing it wrong.

Just sort of acknowledge it happened, then go about it a completely different way that allows for a poignant story that isn't run over by midichlorian pseudo-science and you should be okay.

What I'm getting from that statement is that Infinite didn't sell as well as they wanted it to. At 6 million copies. WTF.

Infinite killed it. On purpose, I think. Levine seemed very set on killing absolutely everything, Evangelion-style.

That's a great analogy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So did I get this right.

Bioshock Infinite does not sell as expected. Irrational is shut down. Previously closed studio reopened and is now developing a Bioshock game. Wow, if I was Ken Levine I'd be pissed.

Dr. Buni

Nice. BioShock 2 = BioShock >>> BioShock Infinite. Hopefully the next title will have the quality of the first two games.

Top Bottom