• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection - Announcement Trailer

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That just sounds like a port. To be fair though, it's just called "the collection" and not "remaster."

Well there are no certain definitions, but most people consider a port to be a straight up translation with no improvements whatsoever. For example I would consider the PS4/XB1 versions of Prototype and Dishonored ports.

I recall that vaguely- just thought it would've been more interesting to do something meaningful with it. As it was, it was an unintentional red herring.

I thought it was quite good, because
it acts as a mirror image of Delta's story (on the good/neutral ending), which involves a symbolic restoration of his humanity in saving Eleanor at the cost of his life. This is the opposite of Meltzer, who gives up his humanity to be with his daughter while preserving his own life.

GeNoMe

I'm jealous of all the people playing these games for the first time. All of you are in for a treat.

Genio88

Are there new achievements? I maxed out the ones on 360 and steam. Yes, I'm one of those people.

Figure that i thought about buying it for 60$ on Xbox One just to go get a few achievements even though i've got a gaming PC and Bioshock 1 and 2 already on Steam so i'll get the collection for free...of course i'm just gonna replay them on PC

Never played Bioshock 2 but really enjoyed Bioshock 1 and Infinite. I think I'll get this.

In some ways, Bioshock 2 is the best in the series. And apparently Minerva's Den is amazing, which is included in this collection.

Assuming this remaster is an improvement over the original games, I'm probably going to have to buy this as well.

Joeku

I just found out I have Minervas den (which I never played) was this a free update on steam at some point?

Posted this yesterday, not told I was wrong yet:
I may be wrong, but I think everyone who owned Bio2 while the game was still GFWL may have gotten Minerva's Den for free when they patched it out. I don't think there was a way to transfer DLC purchases from GFWL to your steam account.

Playing Bioshock 2 first. The step back combat took in Infinite was fucking pathetic. Levine better apologize for that first thing in his video.

Jinketsu

No talk on achievements, but I feel they're just going to reuse them.

I maxed out Infinite, but I'm just not going to do Clash in the Clouds ever again.

They're not including Bioshock 2's multiplayer, I'm not sure it'll be shared or even the same trophy/achievement lists.

The phrasing definitely could be better regardless of where the truth lies, but I've been heavily leaning towards Minerva's Den not being a requirement. I've messaged Irrational on Facebook; I'll post their response if I get one.

How'd you go mate? Any luck?

Would love to know their plans before the current steam sale ends.

bundaberg

Banned
Kind of annoying. I was literally in the middle of download Bioshock 2 on Steam keen to play when I read about these free re-masters. Now I feel like I need to wait until they're released.

I wish I could just buy Bioshock 1 again on PS4.

I wish more HD collections let you buy the games individually.

More then likely wont buy this as a result. Got zero interest in replaying 2 or Infinite.

Gator86

Playing Bioshock 2 first. The step back combat took in Infinite was fucking pathetic. Levine better apologize for that first thing in his video.

Enh, apologize is a little aggressive, but I agree that 2 was the peak of the series from a gameplay and systems perspective. Lots of options in terms of weapons, character perks, plasmids, etc. There were a ton of ways to play the game. Infinite? Not so much.

Regginator

Well there are no certain definitions, but most people consider a port to be a straight up translation with no improvements whatsoever. For example I would consider the PS4/XB1 versions of Prototype and Dishonored ports.

Except Dishonored DE was an improvement over the last gen 720 version. It's the 30fps that people were (rightfully) disappointed about, but it has visual improvements.

Angry Fork

Anyone know if the free PC upgrade is just for 1 game? Like you decide either Bio 1 or 2? And does it include the DLC? If that's the case I wonder if there will be a discount on the other game or how much they would cost individually. I'm assuming the remaster of Infinite won't be much of a remaster since it's still relatively recent/new.

edit - Nevermind I guess it's both bio 1 and 2 as long as you have Minerva's Den too which is cool if that's the case.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How'd you go mate? Any luck?

Would love to know their plans before the current steam sale ends.

Nothing yet and as it's the weekend I doubt I'll get a reply before Monday. I've sent off an e-mail to 2K's PR e-mail address, though, so with any luck perhaps that'll result in a quicker response.

Anyone know if the free PC upgrade is just for 1 game? Like you decide either Bio 1 or 2? And does it include the DLC? If that's the case I wonder if there will be a discount on the other game or how much they would cost individually. I'm assuming the remaster of Infinite won't be much of a remaster since it's still relatively recent/new.

edit - Nevermind I guess it's both bio 1 and 2 as long as you have Minerva's Den too which is cool if that's the case.

Infinite isn't being remastered as "it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings."

Nizz

Only ever played the first Bioshock on a 360. Went back to Sony and PS3 and thought about picking Bioshock 1 again but the framerate wasn't too hot and they mapped aim and shoot on L2/R2 with no way to switch. Will definitely get this for PS4 as I've never played the second game nor Infinite.

gogosox82

In for this. Would love to play Bioshock one and two again and I never played the dlc for infinite.

Never played Bioshock, so I'm mildly interested. Though I've never heard good things about 2 or Infinite. Then again I heard praise for Infinite the first few weeks and then suddenly all I saw was hate.

Bioshock 2 has the best gameplay in the series and one of the best dlc's I've played last gen.

Regginator

I think we still don't have confirmation regarding Minerva's Den. Is it included in the BioShock 2 remaster by default or is it a separate DLC again? And as a follow up question, do we need to have Minerva's Den to qualify for the upgrade or will the base BioShock 2 suffice?

Seems like a rather straightforward question, but unfortunately I don't think there's been a straightforward answer. Their phrasing of "and/or" seems to indicate the latter where base BioShock 2 also nets you a free Minerva's Den for the remaster.

I do wish they would do a Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut deal with Bioshock and fix the final boss, would make it the definitive version of the game by a mile.

TheYanger

I do wish they would do a Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut deal with Bioshock and fix the final boss, would make it the definitive version of the game by a mile.

Eh...The final boss of Bioshock was uninteresting and boring, but it wasn't too hard or anything, the Deus Ex boss changes were necessary because the bosses ran counter to the entire design philosophy of the rest of the game and rendered entire legitimate ways of playing the 'normal' parts of the game totally ineffective.

Bioshock's final boss problems are less functionality related and more narrative imo. They could make the mechanics 100 times more interesting and it still would be a very strange and dumb final boss. (I also don't think theycould do that within the confines of what that game already controls like/lets you do).

JaseC

I think we still don't have confirmation regarding Minerva's Den. Is it included in the BioShock 2 remaster by default or is it a separate DLC again? And as a follow up question, do we need to have Minerva's Den to qualify for the upgrade or will the base BioShock 2 suffice?

Irrational got back to me and, uh, told me to ask 2K. You'd think a Take-Two subsidiary that has been advertising the collection would have been of more assistance.

TheYanger

Irrational got back to me and, uh, told me to ask 2K. You'd think a 2K subsidiary that has been advertising the collection would have been of more assistance.

I mean, why would they have any knowledge of it? They're not making the game and they're certainly not the ones in control of who is getting free copies of it. Blind Squirrel and 2k are both better choices to ask (2k being the correct one as the publisher).

JaseC

I mean, why would they have any knowledge of it? They're not making the game and they're certainly not the ones in control of who is getting free copies of it. Blind Squirrel and 2k are both better choices to ask (2k being the correct one as the publisher).

My hope wasn't that Irrational would know but rather it would pass the message on to someone at 2K and get back to me, which doesn't strike me as a tall order given the two share a metaphorical roof (someone working at Irrational is in a far better position to contact someone in the know at 2K than an outsider who has to use a general PR e-mail address or go through front-line support staff) and Irrational has been advertising the collection. If Irrational had no ties to the collection whatsoever beyond simply being "The developer of the original releases of BioShock and BioShock Infinite", then, believe me, I would have crossed it off as an option; but since it's been something of a mouthpiece, I figured asking it to clarify the matter would be worth a shot. I decided against contacting Blind Squirrel as it seldom updates its Facebook page (the website lists no e-mail address) and had already contacted 2K prior to Irrational's reply.

I just found out I have Minervas den (which I never played) was this a free update on steam at some point?

When they converted Bioshock 2 from GFWL to Steamworks, they gave Minerva's Den for free to everyone who owned it before the switch (since there was no way to give it based on who owned it on GFWL since that store was shut down.)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I see a lot of people talking about it so I will add to it: if you're playing Bioshock for the first time and enjoy it make damn sure you don't skimp on Minerva's Den. It's a fantastic piece of side content.

JaseC

I was poking around on 2K's support website and discovered that the ticket system has a BioShock Collection category in place and one of the pre-defined questions is with regard to owners of a retail copy of BioShock PC being eligible for a Steam key, so I'd guess that those who own a non-Steam version of BioShock will be covered but will have to submit some form of proof of ownership. Bio2's GFWL keys were whitelisted by Valve while BioInf is Steamworks (and not being remastered), so no potential issues there.

pargonta

I hope they don't break the atmosphere of the first one by making too many alterations.

The smoke trail from the pistol comes to mind, or the screen effect from getting shot. There is a magic to the way Bioshock 1 feels, really hope it remains intact

Sorry for the bump, but leess than a month to go. I'll be really interested to see how performance is. I have only played Infinite+DLC so I'd love to play 1/2+DLC.

If it performs well on console this will be day one.

Grief.exe

Sorry for the bump, but leess than a month to go. I'll be really interested to see how performance is. I have only played Infinite+DLC so I'd love to play 1/2+DLC.

If it performs well on console this will be day one.

Damn.

You're going to go from the worst game in the shock series to the best. Bioshock 2 has the best gameplay in the series, combining the atmosphere from the first with significant gameplay improvements.
Bioshock 1 doesn't play very well, but since you haven't played it before the atmosphere will be incredible and the story will hit you.

If you enjoy the series, I would recommend taking a look at System Shock 2, it's one of the best games of all time and was the predecessor to Bioshock 1.

I have all three on Steam - does anyone know how the upgrade process will work? As in, will the titles get a background update or will there be three new games in my library upon release?

Damn.

You're going to go from the worst game in the shock series to the best. Bioshock 2 has the best gameplay in the series, combining the atmosphere from the first with significant gameplay improvements.
Bioshock 1 doesn't play very well, but since you haven't played it before the atmosphere will be incredible and the story will hit you.

If you enjoy the series, I would recommend taking a look at System Shock 2, it's one of the best games of all time and was the predecessor to Bioshock 1.

I should say that I tried the original Bioshock on PS3 for about an hour. The performance on it was awful though, and this was a long time after it came out so I didn't stick with it.

I can get over the gameplay though, it is an amazing world. I actually enjoyed Infinite despite the ridiculous and convoluted plot. The only thing that concerns me with the remaster is performance as I said. Fingers crossed it is solid - it bloody well should be considering how old the games are.

Parsnip

I have all three on Steam - does anyone know how the upgrade process will work? As in, will the titles get a background update or will there be three new games in my library upon release?
BioInf will not get an update on PC as far as I recall. It already meets the next gen standards I think they said. Which is to say that the console version is going to be a straight port from PC as well, as opposed to a real remaster.

As for the two others, I don't think they've said, but I imagine Bio1 and 2 will both get new apps that will someday just appear in our libraries as new games alongside the old games.

Top Bottom