• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations: PGR3's running at 30 frames per second.'

FUCK! :(

EDIT:

Well he's right about one thing.

"In the next generation frame rate will become much less important," says Wilson, "because when you apply HDR and these lighting effects and run with motion blur, you can't tell the difference at 60. You don't notice that much difference because the motion blur takes a lot of it away."

IJoel

can_of_worms_640_hi_2.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
One step into the HD era, with the other foot stuck in 30 fps mud. You can't win them all, I guess.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
didn't they pull a similar switcheroo with pgr2? they should let players run it at 60fps in 480p. framerate is more important than resolution, particularly in racing games. 60 FPS IS A GOOD IN ITSELF.

Mrbob

The room goes quiet for a second. Some cynical git (yours truly) decides to ask about the frame rate. Design manager Gareth Wilson takes the question. "This version's running at 30 frames per second. We're aiming for 60." Does he think they'll hit it? "We'll see how we go. It's all about timings. If we had four months we could get it running at 60. It's whether we've got the time." With precious time to reflect even on that, the conversation lurches in another direction.

So what do you guys want? A 30FPS launch title or a Q1 release at 60fps?

Jeff-DSA

60fps, or no sale. I hate to sound so whiny, but I won't play a racer that can't hold a stable 60fps rate next-gen.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mrbob said:

So what do you guys want? A 30FPS launch title or a Q1 release at 60fps?

Q1 release at 60 fps is a no-brainer for me, but I'm sure MS would like a release around the holidays instead.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
"In the next generation frame rate will become much less important," says Wilson, "because when you apply HDR and these lighting effects and run with motion blur, you can't tell the difference at 60. You don't notice that much difference because the motion blur takes a lot of it away."
I still disagree...

With the temporal motion blur of CG films, 60 fps STILL looks much nicer. It's true that proper usage of motion blur can improve the appearance of 30 fps quite a bit...but that does not mean that 60 fps isn't superior. 60 fps CG films look absolutely unreal in motion.

What a line of crap. 60fps is a must for racing games, yet MS games continue to favour excessive detail over framerate. And yes, you can see the difference. What was the excuse for Forza running at 30fps? Something about the anti-aliasing making up for it? Their priorities are seriously screwed up.

Ruzbeh

Banned
I agree with the Bizarre dude. Framerate is less important than some realistic motion blur. Movies and stuff are 23fps or something and they look great because of motion blur. So, if games get a good, movie-like motion blur with a movie-like fps, it will be better than just 60fps with no motion blur at all.

Mrbob

This game needs to be 60FPS. Delay it. The sytem will sell out regardless this Christmas. They can use PGR3 to boost sales in the slower time period after Christmas.

"In the next generation frame rate will become much less important," says Wilson, "because when you apply HDR and these lighting effects and run with motion blur, you can't tell the difference at 60. You don't notice that much difference because the motion blur takes a lot of it away." We'll have to wait until we're playing it to decide if he's got a point, but watching the two of them pound through a Tokyo circuit it's obvious to see why they're having to work hard to optimise the game.

Damage control. 60 FPS > 30FPS, even with effects.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
um, look at a long pan in a movie shot on film. it's visibly choppy, motion blur or no. movies would look much better at 60fps too.

jett

D-Member
VictimOfGrief said:

EDIT:

Sure.

OptimusPrime said:
I am not shocked....BTW it's still a must have.

To me it isn't. I swore about PGR2 running at 30fps, and I was equally pissed about Forza. And now, on Xbox360, they still come loaded with excuses as to why 30fps really is better than 60fps.

Mrbob said:
This game needs to be 60FPS. Delay it. The sytem will sell out regardless this Christmas. They can use PGR3 to boost sales in the slower time period after Christmas.

Damage control. 60 FPS > 30FPS, even with effects.
You can't bullshit the damage control. Only the select few will be able to tell the difference. Seriously, this is getting old. Disapointing news to say the least but the amount of people that are:

60 FPS OR BUST

makes me ill.

Get it right Bizarre...

Does a console launch really need 3 racers?

NFS:MW and RR6 would be ample at launch.

MS would be well advised to use the extra time and make PGR3 all that it can be...

AB 101

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:

EDIT:

Sounds like damage control to me. :/

drohne said:
um, look at a long pan in a movie shot on film. it's visibly choppy, motion blur or no. movies would look much better at 60fps too.

Yep. One of the reasons IMAX movies look more vivid then regular film is that IMAX movies run at twice the frame rate of normal film (48fps vs 24fps). Well, proper IMAX movies anyways, not just IMAX showing of regular movies blown out of their recommended projection distance...

eso76

ok.
why wasn't the thread title : Bizarre Creations :"We're aiming for 60fps" ?

and i repeat:
Microsoft, please allow these guys 4 more months.
Really, we'll buy RR6 at launch instead, no need to rush things...

Let's think of something to boycott PGR3's december launch, something that will force them postpone the game.

Hiding all their dvd cases maybe ?

Nos_G

They should just dump that crowd generator and use the extra power for that elusive other 30 fps...

DELAY IT!!

Ruzbeh

Banned
What the hell is everyone talking about? If it's done right, it's even better than 60 fps without motion blur.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ruzbeh said:
I agree with the Bizarre dude. Framerate is less important than some realistic motion blur. Movies and stuff are 23fps or something and they look great because of motion blur. So, if games get a good, movie-like motion blur with a movie-like fps, it will be better than just 60fps with no motion blur at all.

<slaps forehead>

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And now, on Xbox360, they still come loaded with excuses as to why 30fps really is better than 60fps.
Yeah, all those "...but 30 fps is really OK because..." lines they have ready to go suggests that the final framerate will indeed be 30 fps. If they truly believed they could hit 60 fps, I think they might be reacting a bit differently.

They did the EXACT same thing with PGR2. It was all "hrmmm, we MIGHT get 60 fps...but we think the AA will make 30 fps much more worthwhile"...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Ruzbeh said:
What the hell is everyone talking about? If it's done right, it's even better than 60 fps without motion blur.
I completely disagree, and I have a feeling most others would, too.

Come the hell on, Bizarre. Cut out a few polygons out of the crowd that players will only see for two seconds anyway.

Razoric

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, all those "...but 30 fps is really OK because..." lines they have ready to go suggests that the final framerate will indeed be 30 fps. If they truly believed they could hit 60 fps, I think they might be reacting a bit differently.

They did the EXACT same thing with PGR2. It was all "hrmmm, we MIGHT get 60 fps...but we think the AA will make 30 fps much more worthwhile"...

exactly. it's going to be 30 fps otherwise they wouldnt already be cooking up excuses.

Apparently not. 30FPS+ effects < 60 FPS and no effects.

The point that people seem to miss about framerate is that 60 fps *feels* smoother; it's not just that it looks smoother, it's the whole package - looks, feel, control

There is no excuse for a non-60fps racer with the specs that X360 and PS3 has.

None.

HokieJoe

Shogmaster said:
Yep. One of the reasons IMAX movies look more vivid then regular film is that IMAX movies run at twice the frame rate of normal film (48fps vs 24fps). Well, proper IMAX movies anyways, not just IMAX showing of regular movies blown out of their recommended projection distance...

Actually, normal film runs at a genuine 48fps. The effective rate is 24fps though, because they show each frame twice. So IMAX shows 48 unique frames per second?

HokieJoe said:
Actually, normal film runs at a genuine 48fps. The effective rate is 24fps though, because they show each frame twice. So IMAX shows 48 unique frames per second?

Yes. They are filmed at 48fps, which is the key.

newsguy

So is this debate due to sense of speed or something else. BO Legends is 30fps and the sense of speed (with no motion blur) is amazing. Of course I don't know how that translates to a large screen, but the fast cars in Forza were fine.

enjoyed the hell out of PGR2, the 30 fps didn't bother me at all.

As much as I enjoyed PGR2, the one thing I wanted more than anything else with PGR3 was 60fps.

PGR2 was a great game, but 60 fps would have made a world of difference... for one I would have played it for longer periods in one sitting. 30 fps gets fatiguing IMHO

:lol

I wonder if there's going to be an Italian invasion of the bizarre forums like when they announced PGR2 to run at 30fps. That wasn't funny as I used to know most of the guys doing it. There's a German word explaining such behaviour: Fremdschämen.

A quote from the days

Sony has Polyphony and we've got... well...

They also started an online petition to have pgr2 at 60fps with a whooping 424 signatures. :lol :lol

AB 101

Banned
shantyman said:
Not exactly related, but I still refuse to believe RR6 will be a launch day title on the US.

Well, I sure hope we will get one more racing title other than Need For Speed.

Not even sure if that will make the exact launch date.

I want a good racer at launch. A big reason why I am buying the fucking thing.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
eso76 said:
ok.
why wasn't the thread title : Bizarre Creations :"We're aiming for 60fps" ?

and i repeat:
Microsoft, please allow these guys 4 more months.
Really, we'll buy RR6 at launch instead, no need to rush things...

Let's think of something to boycott PGR3's december launch, something that will force them postpone the game.

Hiding all their dvd cases maybe ?

I agree about the thread title but again I'm not surprised :lol It doesn't seem like anybody in this thread read the first paragraph of the article.

It has to be 60FPS though, we should not accept any lower no matter what excuse they come up with.

Top Bottom