• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations: PGR3's running at 30 frames per second.'

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Haven't been here long or something? Dude it's dark10x, he would play all 3 versions of the same game just to check out differences.

As for the avatar, MGS is one of his favorite franchises, what of it? With MGS4 being shown he would be excited as hell, cause I know I am.

My fault didn't know that.

But normaly biased fanboys have a sig like that. I myself am a multiplatform gamer also.

Mrbob

When they later relased a screenshot with some mip-mapped wall textures they claimed it was some mistake and I took for that. But from the latest screenshot, of Tokyo inparticular, it seems like they intend to use a), the worst-looking method, with the geometry instancing, after all. Now, I can understand why they don't use b) - they've already pointed out how difficult it is to fit the high-quality textures on a DVD9 and they have a whole city to model, and they don't need the burden of storing precalculated textures on top of that.

My one and only fear with the Xbox 360 is that MS didn't go with a big enough storage format. This is a near launch title and they are already having problems storing everything on DVD 9 disc?

Is DVD9 going to be big enough to store all these hi res textures? Revolution can use DVD 9 because their target is 480P. PLAYSTATION 3 can use Blu Ray discs since they have a much larger capacity. With games filling up DVDs this generation, how long before X360 games need to get cut down to fit on a single DVD9 disc? Mult disc isn't the worst thing, but in something like a racing game I'd prefer not to swap discs. Nor would I want to swap discs in a game like GTA. I'm sure there are ways around this.

ourumov

I knew it ! I knew it !

I knew they wouldn't dissapoint the gaming comunity...Let's face it...PGR3 discussions have ALWAYS been about the fact they run @ 30 FPS ! Thanks Bizzarre for two months of long threads.

Mrbob

Trojan X said:
Repeating myself again: the reason the PGR3 video was 60fps was because it was encoded at 60fps, double-framing a 30fps image rather than dishing out a liquid 60fps video. In other words, they captured PGR at it's true rate, bumped up the speed then encoded in 60fps. Simple as that.

Considering how MS blasted Sony for their E3 conference, I'm surprised they have been so deceitful with PGR3.

Beowolf

Banned
Yea, having the DVD9 format worries me a little too. It may end up biting MS in the ass later on when sequels are made and the desire to improve the graphics is limited because of the lack of space.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rastex said:
I don't get how the FPS conversation hasn't reached the level of PS2 demos and SH3 guy. WE ALL GET IT.
Alas, Doulgas was only able to run at 60 fps on the PC. :p

Taker666

Well there we go.

The vast majority of gamers with SDTV are getting an inferior product than they could have had if not for the "HD-Era" elite few.

You HDTV guys are dragging us low tech guys down to 30fps. :D

heidern

:lol :lol :lol

OMG, with MS it's just PR disaster after PR disaster. Sure the 360 will at the very least be a good system but from the first underwhelming shots of DOA4, then Wallguy and then the retard pack and now devs finally get the final hardware and now we have the performance of 360 games downgraded from initial expectations that MS set.

However... I'm not just talking about 30fps here. No. I'm talking about the Anti-aliasing. From the article:
Ideally displayed in 720 progressive-scan with 2x anti-aliasing

In the words of ATI:
FiringSquad: You said earlier that EDRAM gives you AA for free. Is that 2xAA or 4x?

ATI: Both, and I would encourage all developers to use 4x FSAA. Well I should say there’s a slight penalty, but it’s not what you’d normally associate with 4x multisample AA. We’re at 95-99% efficiency, so it doesn’t degrade it much is what I should say, so I would encourage developers to use it. You’d be crazy not to do it.

You know even though we’re in a high def resolution world with Xbox 360, well you know at standard definition with today’s TVs jaggies look bad, really bad with standard definition. In hi-def everything is so sharp, that when there are aliasing issues, you’re really going to see the jaggies there so I think anti-aliasing is just key and we have a great anti-aliasing story.

So what we get is 30fps with only 2x anti-aliasing. C'mon, this is just embarassing. It's neither pushing the effects nor the framerate and actually, this would make this officially the first game that undershoots the initial x360 specs, since this is aimed for the final release. Seriously this is just getting too easy for the Sony marketing machine and their demo and specs led assault.

Doube D

bwahahhahahahah. Am I the only one who remembers the thread regarding the pg3 footage? All the xbots saying its proof postive 60hz? What happened my dear shogz? First the impossible to pull off gundam models, then the pgr3 60 fps debate.... xbots am on a role. lol

Crow eatin time baby....

xexex

Banned
PGR3 can fuck off and die then, along with its creators........no sale assholes!

Namco save us with Ridge Racer 6...

dark10x

All the xbots saying its proof postive 60hz? What happened my dear shogz?
Different situation...

Regardless of how that HD video was created, it absolutely was being displayed at 60 fps. Of that there is no question.

Lo-Volt

Honest to God, take the four extra months. Things may be more precarious for the 360 in early 2006 than in the immediate launch window, anyway. If Microsoft wants to be a halfway potent force of opposition, they cannot half-ass any even halfway big game, much less this. Do they not understand this by now? Does this not utterly reek of the Windows division?

Doube D

dark10x said:
Different situation...

Regardless of how that HD video was created, it absolutely was being displayed at 60 fps. Of that there is no question.

Im not talking about the video itself, but the claims made that it proves that pgr3 itself is 60hz.

COCKLES

being watched
ram said:
30fps racer = no buy, hell i expect next-gen racers to be 60fps and nothing less!

One less idiot getting in my way in my 12 player Live games of PG3.

Couldn't give a toss about 30/60 as long as it plays and looks good. I'm long past the point of fussing over trivial things.

And for all the people going 'Oh no! I'm not buying an Xbox360 now". Fuck off. You were never going to buy one to begin with, who the fuck do you think your kidding.

xexex

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
Honest to God, take the four extra months. Things may be more precarious for the 360 in early 2006 than in the immediate launch window, anyway. If Microsoft wants to be a halfway potent force of opposition, they cannot half-ass any even halfway big game, much less this. Do they not understand this by now? Does this not utterly reek of the Windows division?

^QUOTE FOR TRUTH^

dark10x

COCKLES said:
One less idiot getting in my way in my 12 player Live games of PG3.

Couldn't give a toss about 30/60 as long as it plays and looks good. I'm long past the point of fussing over trivial things.

And for all the people going 'Oh no! I'm not buying an Xbox360 now". Fuck off. You were never going to buy one to begin with, who the fuck do you think your kidding.
Actually, looking over this thread, I do not see one single statement that claims that they will no longer buy a 360.

There ARE posts claiming that they will not purchase PGR3 for this reason, but nobody is suggesting that they are not going to buy a 360.

Who exactly were you addressing? :D

COCKLES

being watched
dark10x said:
Actually, looking over this thread, I do not see one single statement that claims that they will no longer buy a 360.

There ARE posts claiming that they will not purchase PGR3 for this reason, but nobody is suggesting that they are not going to buy a 360.

Who exactly were you addressing? :D

Half the thread. Do you really tlhink most of the people posting are buying one? Just more drama queens who will leap onto every tiny disappointment with 'OMG! IKNEW IT! NO SALE! MS SUXXORS! ONLY TEH NINTENONY CAN SAVE TEH VIDEOGAME!!11111111111".

Probably because I've been on GAF for around 5 years now, but I can't be the only one getting fed up of the same teidum in thread after thread.

dark10x

COCKLES said:
Half the thread. Do you really tlhink most of the people posting are buying one? Just more drama queens who will leap onto every tiny disappointment with 'OMG! IKNEW IT! NO SALE! MS SUXXORS! ONLY TEH NINTENONY CAN SAVE TEH VIDEOGAME!!11111111111".

Probably because I've been on GAF for around 5 years now, but I can't be the only one getting fed up of the same teidum in thread after thread.
Come now, all sorts of people enter every thread. This is no different.

My point was that there was nobody here claiming that they suddenly decided NOT to buy a 360 because of this. There weren't even any false claims from those who were never going to buy one anyways...

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
OMG! IKNEW IT! NO SALE! MS SUXXORS! ONLY TEH NINTENONY CAN SAVE TEH VIDEOGAME!!11111111111

Pimpwerx

Motion blur may well make the visual movement more fluid, but what about control? I can understand sampling control inputs at 60Hz or higher, but the user needs the visual inputs from the display to bring it all together. 60fps is ideal. But who knows? PGR3 might prove this all a non-issue. PEACE.

Shompola

Banned
Beowolf said:
If you cannot tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you are mentally challanged.

Ohh we can. But it is not a deal breaker... Most people who complain really arent that into racers anyway or interested in that particular racer they complain about.... There are a heck of a lot more things to complain about if you want a good solid racer...

GhaleonEB

xexex said:
I WILL buy a 360 for certain, without question.

I do NOT buy a 30fps PGR3 or any other 30fps racer.

I am quoting this person because what he/she said it so true.

We should come up with an abbreviated way to express this sentiment.

60fps is an absolute must for racers. Playing PGR2 after playing GT4 feels unresponsive and looks both unimpressive and extremely slow.

IWba360fcwq

IdNba30fpsPGR3oao30fpsr

Izzy

Banned
xexex said:
PGR3 can fuck off and die then, along with its creators........no sale assholes!

Namco save us with Ridge Racer 6...

Errrr....as it is PGR3 destroys RR6 - you'll see for yourself soon.

dark10x

Izzy said:
Errrr....as it is PGR3 destroys RR6 - you'll see for yourself soon.
Is it 60 fps, though?

With our luck, they'll have simply ported over assets from the PSP game or something. :p Hey, it looks insane for a handheld...but those visuals wouldn't fly on a next-gen console...

Of course, I just can't imagine how bad it could be. Ridge Racer V STILL looks incredible. If they were to simply to touch up those models, use some high-res textures, add realtime reflections and other lighting effects (HDR), and bump up the resolution to 720p it would look f*cking fantastic. If they can't even go THAT far...then I don't know what to say.

segasonic

AltogetherAndrews said:
What a line of crap. 60fps is a must for racing games, yet MS games continue to favour excessive detail over framerate. And yes, you can see the difference. What was the excuse for Forza running at 30fps? Something about the anti-aliasing making up for it? Their priorities are seriously screwed up.

I talked to one of the Forza guys at GC 2004. He said that they did a survey among casual gamers and hardly anybody noticed the difference between 30 and 60.

And yes, I did tell him that I think 60fps is vastly superior to 30.

fresquito

The old story repeats itself. A developer aiming at including unnecesary things over really needed things. Is it needed to have people moving outside the course? is it needed to have all those super textures in the walls? I mean, isn´t it more important the framerate? Just go for the important thing, then add all the stupid details you wanna add!

Edit:
segasonic said:
I talked to one of the Forza guys at GC 2004. He said that they did a survey among casual gamers and hardly anybody noticed the difference between 30 and 60.

And yes, I did tell him that I think 60fps is vastly superior to 30.
Most casual gamers can´t handle an analog stick properly, are they gonna do like with WE series where there´s no analog control? Come on, this is going beyond lame.

_Angelus_

Banned
The room goes quiet for a second. Some cynical git (yours truly) decides to ask about the frame rate. Design manager Gareth Wilson takes the question. "This version's running at 30 frames per second. We're aiming for 60." Does he think they'll hit it? "We'll see how we go. It's all about timings. If we had four months we could get it running at 60. It's whether we've got the time." With precious time to reflect even on that, the conversation lurches in another direction.

Just delay the game then. If all it takes is 4 more months then its worth it. RR6 should fill the void till PGR3 is set in all its glory. If it stays at 30 then whatever,I will live. PGR2 was on of the best racers this gen. 30 frames didn't do sqaut to alter that. But it really would be a good idea to delay it if they really are a few months away from hitting 60 frames though. If anything it'll give GAF time to start searching for something else thats wrong with the game.

Izzy said:
I can't wait for the official RR6 in-game media - Isamu's reaction is going to be priceless. :D

Man don't start with this shit. If you know something, or have seen the game, just fucking tell us if it's ugly or not already.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they won't delay, its too important to not make launch - especially if others are moving out now (GRAW, Oblivion)

and anyway, MS clearly don't give a fuck what you guys think. They did it for PGR2, they will be happy to do it for PGR3.

Face it, if X360 is less powerful (or developers haven't had time on it), MS need to push as hard as possible on the graphics to fend of PS3. They *need* PGR3 to look as good as it can in screenshots, in magazines, in TV ads to sell the console.

They don't care about the 1% of hardcore that will bitch about 60fps.

I can tell the difference, but I still had a lot of fun with PGR2. So while not ecstatic (hey, you always want more, right?) - I'm ok with 30fps. Just give me something at launch for me to have faith in than a couple of Rare games.

Culex

Banned
AniHawk said:
I could never tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. Threads like this are entertaining though.

Play Tales of Symphonia on the GC, then on the PS2.

Then get back to me with your answer :)

dark10x

Culex said:
Play Tales of Symphonia on the GC, then on the PS2.

Then get back to me with your answer :)
Heh, you do realize that a much easier answer would be to simply visit the world map on the GC version...right? :p

Culex

Banned
dark10x said:
Heh, you do realize that a much easier answer would be to simply visit the world map on the GC version...right? :p

Yes, but it wouldn't show the drastic change that 30fps does in battle on the PS2, as apposed to 60fps with the GC.

JavyOO7

dark10x said:
I agree.

Those crowds, for example, DO look awesome...but I'd drop them in a split second if it meant 60 fps. I appreciate tons of detail, but it becomes considerably less impressive when the framerate takes a massive hit.

It's tough to achieve a happy medium though, in this case.

dark10x

Culex said:
Yes, but it wouldn't show the drastic change that 30fps does in battle on the PS2, as apposed to 60fps with the GC.
Yeah, but seriously, think about what you are suggesting...

The way to convince someone is not to tell them to go buy another copy of a game they already own that was only released in Japan. :p

Culex

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, but seriously, think about what you are suggesting...

The way to convince someone is not to tell them to go buy another copy of a game they already own that was only released in Japan. :p

I'm just letting my anti-PS2 bias show.

Nothing more to see here :D

Top Bottom