• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations: PGR3's running at 30 frames per second.'

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:
i'd be interested to see how 30fps with the effect does actually compare to 60fps.

In my opinion, it doesn't. Makes the whole thing too blurry...messes up the sense of speed somewhat...and added to that, the framerate was quite faulty in the build I played (meaning it dropped in just about every curve and couldn't keep a steady 30 fps at all). Here's hoping they fix it before release...I mean, it was the kind of framedrop that made the game harder to control, not just the kind that affects the visual quality.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gek54 said:
Right on! Becuase 30fps is the future and there are no better alternatives. Stutter 4 life.
It could be liquid smooth at 30 fps with no stutter. We just don't know until we see the final product.

Sad...and i can't help but to think the way people judge screenshots as and end all for graphics has a part in this. Anybody that makes a high quality 60fps racer will get my money.

ziran

i don't have a problem with 30fps, below 30fps, yes, that isn't good.

60fps would be nice but 30fps is still very good imo.

i'm sure the game will still be great.

mr2mike

Banned
"Anybody that makes a high quality 60fps racer will get my money."

polyphony20digital16ej.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shompola said:
Find a new hobby. 30fps is here to stay! :lol
You say that as if you really don't mind it...

I certainly can and do accept it when I must, but it shouldn't be encouraged...

I'm always ready to sacrifice details for framerate. I'll drop a PC game to 640x480 if it means 60 fps, for example...

DenogginizerOS

A pretty balanced article about frames per second.

"A computer game running with 30 FPS can look quite ok, but it will seem imprecise as soon as the objects on screen start to move really fast. A regular DVD-movie also runs at 30 FPS and this seems quite natural, due to the motion blur technology which, in short, is a technique that generates a transition image between the real images."

DCX

DCX
Jeff-DSA said:
60fps, or no sale. I hate to sound so whiny, but I won't play a racer that can't hold a stable 60fps rate next-gen.
Then i guess you won't be gaming much this gen my friend...we'll keep in touch.

DCX

JMPovoa

Actually, a non optimized 50 fps stutters more than 30fps.

And if you notice some TVs nowadays kind of simulate a 60fps feel out of 30fps videos/games/movies. If someone has a Philips TV with Pixel Plus 1 or 2, or a high end loewe TV knows what i mean. i wouldn't doubt that in the near future TVs would do a lot of offload for consoles in terms of image smoothness. ;)

theres no wow about it. its the truth how long did we have to wait for GT4 and what did they cut out of the game???........and microsoft managed to release a racing game that topped PD, so get off their balls

Lakitu

st5fu
truffleshuffle83 said:
have fun waiting 2 years after the projected launch date only to get a scaled down version that will prbably still not have online racing

Oh I will. GT 4 has to be the best car racer I've played this gen, if that's stripped down, I can only imagine what a fully capable title is!

DenogginizerOS

In the end, if the game feels incredible and I am entertained, I could care less about FPS. As long as there is no slowdown and the online racing is stable, I will be happy.

Well this confirms a no-buy for me. Fuck you Microsoft and Bizarre! 30fps racers are just no longer acceptable next-gen! And yes, you *can* tell the difference, you bunch of fucking liars!

Ridge Racer 6 it is!

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
But you are assuming here that a 30fps is going to be a bad game. It's not going to be bad at 30fps.

There is one difference that sets this situation apart from other games, though.

Bizarre has already admitted if they had another couple months they could get the game to 60FPS.

DenogginizerOS

Mrbob said:
There is one difference that sets this situation apart from other games, though.

Bizarre has already admitted if they had another couple months they could get the game to 60FPS.[/QUOTE

Has someone read somewhere RECENTLY (within the last week) that PGR3 is DEFINITELY at 30 fps? This thread is over a month old and was recently rehashed. I am not going to pass judgement on a yet to be released game, and I think this argument is getting stale.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm not worried about it being 30 fps, I'm worried about slowdown due to the game being, possibly, rushed. And honestly, that motion blur filter is not the perfect "looks just like 60 fps" trick some of you make it out to be. At least not in my opinion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

Bizarre has already admitted if they had another couple months they could get the game to 60FPS.

Indeed that's true.

When exactly was this interview posted? I'd assume they've locked at 30 and gave up on 60?

Helznicht

Its clear the game is not Polygon limited, but shader limited. The questions is, do you guys prefer 60 FPS and no motion blur or 30 FPS with motion blur. I think that will be a common trade off next gen. Also, what do you think will look better to the average consumer comparing side by side (30 w motion vs 60 no motion)?

raYne

And without missing a beat, people jump back into a month old thread to post the same things all over again... :lol

Well done Wunderchu!

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Even though the thread is old I think it's safe to say the game will be 30fps when it hits the shelves. I think it's also safe to say that most people who buy it won't give a shit. YES it's disappointing because Bizarre said they could get to 60 with a bit more development time but if it's a great game then I'm not going to miss out just because it's running at 30fps. I think we should all play it before throwing the rattle out the pram.

Borys

Banned
Holy crap same old arguments in same old thread by same old peeps.

Same old, same old.

I don't care about racers, I don't really care about framerate (always can upgrade) soooo...

...GT5 ONLINE PLAY OR BUST, POLYPHONY!

jett

D-Member
DenogginizerOS said:
It could be liquid smooth at 30 fps with no stutter. We just don't know until we see the final product.

It can be liquid smooth, it can be lots of fun too, but it's not going to compare to 60fps, motion blur or not. :p

[Reki]

Banned
jett said:
It can be liquid smooth, it can be lots of fun too, but it's not going to compare to 60fps, motion blur or not. :p
Well, reading the article it seems to me that 30 fps motion blur are better than 60 fps with no motion blur. The brain takes the first as the more fluid one.

Zer0

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
FUCK! :(

EDIT:

Well he's right about one thing.

"In the next generation frame rate will become much less important," says Wilson, "because when you apply HDR and these lighting effects and run with motion blur, you can't tell the difference at 60. You don't notice that much difference because the motion blur takes a lot of it away."

bullshit,60 fps is 60 fps

bob_arctor said:
It's ok guys, the Rallisport team will save us. They'll show people how it's done. :)

I can't wait to see what they can pull out of the system. RSC2 was 60fps and looked much better than PGR2.

It doesn't really surprise me that PGR3 is 30fps. Bizarre are good programmers, but they've never been the best as far as graphics. Their strength has always been the perfect balance of sim and arcade, imo. Not trying to knock them at all though, PGR2 was the game I played more than any other last gen.

Holy fuck. How many fucking times can you 'tards have the same god damn argument? If I see another 30fps vs 60fps idiot fest again, Wayne Brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

Juice

Jeff-DSA said:
60fps, or no sale. I hate to sound so whiny, but I won't play a racer that can't hold a stable 60fps rate next-gen.

I call bullshit on this comment. I'm sure you're all the 60fps whore you say you are, but I'll bet any of your are going to buy the game, love it, and bitch all the way about how it would be better at 60fps.

Honestly, with motion blur it won't make that big a difference.

I don't think racing games are fun, so I won't buy them. That's a statement that's far more believable than a ban on all non-60fps next gen racers.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
mrklaw said:
As for control - just because its running at 30 doesn't mean everything else is. They can (and I hope do) calculate their physics at a higher framerate, and also accept input at a higher framerate too.

They can and do. According to the Bizarre rep at the NYC press event, they're calculating physics at 120 fps. Since the game also looks fluid as hell, people really shouldn't be complaining about this.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
jett said:

Wait until you see it in person. With the motion blur, it looks at least if not more fluid than GT4.

Please, everyone, continue your bickering though. Also, I'm going to file this thread away fro the next time there's a gameplay vs. graphics debate.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Borys said:
Holy crap same old arguments in same old thread by same old peeps.

Same old, same old.

Indeed. But this point needs to be repeated until it sinks in everyone's brain:

Kiriku said:
honestly, that motion blur filter is not the perfect "looks just like 60 fps" trick some of you make it out to be.

Quoted for fucking truth.

"30fps vs 60fps......who the fuck cares!" Someone says.

Looking at ths thread is kinda ironic because people say they don't care, yet this thread shows they DO care.

:lol

Top Bottom