• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Adam | First Look Teaser

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

FBH7cfqVQAsGxlt

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Watch it tank. I think people got bored of super hero movies already. It will take something fantastic for people to care again, and the rock isn’t it.

RCU005

The issue I have with this movie is that it's going to be Dwayne Johnson playing Dwayne Johnson in a Black Adam Suit.

I like him and I think he is a funny dude, but no one can deny that ALL of his movies he is the exact same character: HIM. He is more suited for comedy movies where there is no issue being himself, but in a superhero movie it's going to be weird.

It's like how a voice actor takes you out of the character because you recognize his voice so much.

StargazerXL

The comic book reason is that the black colour of Black Adam's costume represented the fertile black sands of the Nile River. That may have been a retcon, but it made him at least look like an evil Captain Marvel.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Just in case people get confused. The video is a teaser for Black Adam, played by Dwayne Johnson, while the picture is of the film’s Hawkman.

Xenon

Eh. That slow dramatic build-up for a scene we've already seen a million times. Sometimes I think these directors need to realize that most people have seen people who can take bullets as if they were nothing. It was a pretty shit teaser but I don't think it's indicative of what the movie will be.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I still don't get the "Black" part of the name. Are we really referring by his race?

It's because of his actions. His given name was Teth Adam. He was the original hero of the wizard Shazam until he broke the creed of Shazam (killing and brutality). He was a villain for a long time, except to his people in Kahndaq which is either in North Africa or east Asia.

He and Captain Marvel/SHAZAM have the same exact powers. He's whom the wizard was talking about in that animatic in SHAZAM when he was explaining it to Billy Batson.

Judging from the fact that he vaporized that dude into a skeleton, it seems like they're aiming for a hard PG-13 like Shazam surprisingly did (that scene where the Sins kill the board room is actually horrifying lol), and I'm all for that.
PG-13 movies have generally been way too soft the past decade, not like in the 80s and 90s

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Black as in evil, right?

Otherwise he is kind of "Swarthy Adam"

uiGgBMq.jpg

I’ve always assumed the ‘Black’ part of his name, was due to him being an asshole villain? Don’t really follow Shazam so don’t know if Black Adam is actually an anti-hero, which is a popular thing days.

DC is destined to fail this looked so DC, and I mean that in the worst way possible. Shame since I love Egyptian themes, the injustice version seems miles better.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've been waiting a long time for this movie. He's my second favorite comic character. But I am not expecting The Rock to have the range to pull off this kind of anti-hero, Adam in particular, nor am I expecting the producers and directors to go with the intimate, tormented version of Adam we saw in and briefly following the comic event 52. That said, still hyped. Fuck it, right? It's finally a Black Adam movie.

i9ypRbu.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

The hell is SJA? Did they mean to type JSA as in the Justice Society of America? Because otherwise I’m confused.

Billbofet

Meh. It's hard to get excited about this shit. The Rock is just too much of a known quantity. It's like getting thrilled for a Will Smith or Ryan Reynolds movie, I just can't anymore.

Top Bottom