• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACKROOM announced (new game by John Romero, Kickstarter)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No pre-release access tier seems a little strange given there's an MP component.

So the concept is like a Quantum Break but for space instead of time?

Didn't get that impression at all . I would actually be excited for a time powered quantum break ish combat game but this just sounded like game with lots of time periods and weapons .

Either way it sounds like they don't even have an engine or game started yet . Even very little concept art . Did they just start there game last week ?

Xater

After the video all we know is

- It's from the creators of doom
- there are at least 2 guys on the dev (did we mention both are creators of doom
- it has rocket jumping
- John is doing all the levels (like he did with doom remember)
- Ireland has nice castles which should do well for at least one of those black room levels
- the main protagonist has a terrible name
- did we mention how the community loved doom ?

You forgot that the corporation also has a very dumb name.

Alienous

Didn't get that impression at all . I would actually be excited for a time powered quantum break ish combat game but this just sounded like game with lots of time periods and weapons .

Either way it sounds like they don't even have an engine or game started yet . Even very little concept art . Did they just start there game last week ?

The dude had a thing on his wrist as the narrative describes "Tools that let you hack your environment".

Maybe I'm just projecting.

This was such a barebones pitch. They're asking the people to fund on the basis of gameplay and level design yet shown none of it. The story is most definitely going to be the flimsiest excuse ever to show off the different environments so I don't know why they focused so much on that.

jblank83

They don't seem to mention an engine either, so I'm pretty sure they're at the concept art stage.

For a project at the concept art stage, $29 is a tall ask based only on reputation (and not a stellar reputation).

Good luck to them. If their game is amazing, I'll buy it when it's done.

m4st4

Can't stand kickstarters that are just talk and concept art , need to really see prototype gameplay. Sounds like they are really hoping to live off there past glories which will probably work well enough but I would like to see more.

The pitch voiceover guy was laughable , it feels like it has a blood dragon tone but I'm not sure that's exactly what he's going for lol .

Hope to see some more actual gameplay in the next update .

So much this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea this is setting off my bullshit detector pretty hard.

Also $29 minimum buy in to get a copy, good luck with that.

I hate to this the word "cringe" at the promo and pitch but..good gracious that was hard to get through.

Interested in the game, though. I'm sure I'll like Doom well enough, but it's not feeling old school enough (at least the multiplayer I've played). As blandish as the art itself looked, I'm sure if they nail the oldschool FPS charm, it'll work.

Draft

The back of the box bullet points are right up my alley, but I don't kickstart games without gameplay footage. Not even for John Romero.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Everything about this is kinda hilarious the more I look at it

"BLACKROOM: A New FPS from Romero & Carmack" is misleading as fuck.

Nothing but concept art.

The entire "achievements" section... ROMERO TWITTER FOLLOWERS, CREATE A WIKIPEDIA ENTRY.

This has dumpster fire written all over it

Can we presume 700K is an interest guaging sum for a real private backer?

700K would not cover the description of the game as it stands.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think this Kickstarter should be rewarded. Talent and pedigree or not, it's 2016, we've had 4 years of major Kickstarters, we've seen a variety of different outcome from failure to success, it's time for backers to start using leverage to ensure there's a "there" there. It's not just that the KS was just concept art, it's that all we actually learned about the game design was also buzzword bingo.

Rockk

Can we presume 700K is an interest guaging sum for a real private backer?

700K would not cover the description of the game as it stands.

That's what the video states. Investors will provide the rest of the money after the kickstarter succeeds.

LewieP

Where is the breakdown of costs? Where is the discussion of basic technical details, like what engine is it to be running on?

I am tentatively interested in the game but not to the extent that I'd give them money for just turning up.

Perhaps if there was an early alpha demo or even some gameplay footage, but as it stands I'll not be funding this.

Also the "achievement" section made me vomit a little bit.

VUComJ6.png

ironcreed

Banned
I don't think this Kickstarter should be rewarded. Talent and pedigree or not, it's 2016, we've had 4 years of major Kickstarters, we've seen a variety of different outcome from failure to success, it's time for backers to start using leverage to ensure there's a "there" there. It's not just that the KS was just concept art, it's that all we actually learned about the game design was also buzzword bingo.

UDy2dlb.gif

The dude had a thing on his wrist as the narrative describes "Tools that let you hack your environment".

Maybe I'm just projecting.

The thing on the wrist is called a Boxel, a device used by Hoxar technicians to manipulate the simulations in the blackroom.

See it as a versatile gun, like the gravity gun, that allows you to manipulate the game setting, for example by blocking time or modifying the structure of the level

this an excerpt of the italian interview

(just made the translation, may be bad)

Xater

Totally agree, which is why I won't back it. I still believe it will easily hit it's goal.

Fantomas

- John is doing all the levels (like he did with doom remember)

You're probably just being sarcastic, but Romero didn't make every level in Doom. He did most of the levels in Episode 1, but otherwise it was Sandy Petersen, or levels that were started by Tom Hall and then later finished by Sandy Petersen.

Welp, I'm backing anyways! For today I am....

captain-oblivious.png

Yeah, a lot of phrases like "old school" and "back to what gamers want to see" type of talk, but nothing to really showcase. I do believe that John Romero can deliver what he is promising here, it seems like they aren't going too ambitious and sticking to a clear plan. But at the same time... you really need to show something. John releasing a new Doom level and telling everyone that it was a warm up for an upcoming project got me more excited than this, because there was something there.

It would also be nice if they could tell us what type of engine they are using. Are they going with UE4 or Unity? Or are they using their own proprietary tech?I would also love to know if this is going to be more like Doom or Quake. He did say "rocket jumping" I assume that would mean it will be like Quake.

I am interested, but agree they have some work to do in convincing people. Not the end of the world, they have 32 days. Cheesy premise is cool with me, parody or not. id shooters were never known for their... ahem.. strong writing. That Doom level Romero released and stuff like 2PP being involved leans things favorable for me.

LewieP

So it's on UE4. I wonder what exactly that means for mod support, since it will have to be done through either mod tools the dev makes (which is a large undertaking for a small team) for via the UE4 sdk which comes with a host of challenges.

Top Bottom