• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACKROOM announced (new game by John Romero, Kickstarter)

Yes, this bothers me too. Can they not show us something? Even if it's brief gameplay just to give an idea of character movement, visual style or map design.

And all they have to do is making it an HD quake or doom type game with the same idea behind it and people would actually really dig it. Doesn't need to look like a modern game at all, just needs to run well be fun and have options.

there are a ton of gaf users who could have given better character art as well

Nzyme32

Anything good come out of that live stream?

If they are not showing any early game footage, I won't put money down. There needs to be something tangible to suggest they are invested enough in it themselves and making some progress while pitching to us

_woLf

Kickstarter with no proof of concept or prototype other than some bad concept art and an awkward announcement video.

For $700,000.

Yikes.

jblank83

Anything good come out of that live stream?

If they are not showing any early game footage, I won't put money down. There needs to be something tangible to suggest they are invested enough in it themselves and making some progress while pitching to us

I watched about 5 minutes of it. It went something like this.

Romero: "It'll have huge guns but it's not esports. It's single player like classic FPS. The engine is Unreal 4, so if you want esports you can can mod it. Hoxar is like Aperture Science. Hoxar does science."
Adrian: *blank look on face*
Romero: "Single player, old school, guns."
Adrian: *blank look on face*

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
I like the concept - gives them freedom to create pretty much whatever type of levels they can think up. I agree that no in-game test footage is kind of disappointing but I want to back this just for the chance of having some good, old-school level design.

Onemic

Yes, this bothers me too. Can they not show us something? Even if it's brief gameplay just to give an idea of character movement, visual style or map design.

In the stream, Romero said they literally havent started working on the game yet and will only begin once they reach the funding goal. They dont even have a complete dev team yet. Until then it'll only be concept art and writeups for how they envision what the game will be.

OBias

I pledged but I have a feeling that this Kickstarter is going to fail. The game seems to be at a very early stage of development right now and not much is revealed beyond the premise and some art. I don't think a lot of people are going to pledge only because the game is being developed by Romero and Carmack.

In the stream, Romero said they literally havent started working on the game yet and will only begin once they reach the funding goal. They dont even have a complete dev team yet. Until then it'll only be concept art and writeups for how they envision what the game will be.

rip.

Literally no risk.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I like the concept - gives them freedom to create pretty much whatever type of levels they can think up. I agree that no in-game test footage is kind of disappointing but I want to back this just for the chance of having some good, old-school level design.

The concept reminds me of that guy at a bar who hears I'm a game designer and has a "great idea for a game" that he insists on telling me about.

I pledged but I have a feeling that this Kickstarter is going to fail.

The fact that it's been up for nearly three hours and is only at 30k is definitely not a good sign given the names behind it. This one of those projects that on paper would be funded within a few hours. But they completely botched the pitch. I know some are mentioning the lack of game footage that killed it, but something like Bloodstained didn't have any game footage either and it had no problem reaching its goal. The difference is that it had a pitch that made you want to support it. It ended up being fully funded after around four hours of being up.

Rockk

I took notes from the stream. I probably got a few things wrong, misheard, or didn't completely understand but it's still quite a bit of info.

- no loadouts, regen, ironsights, killstreaks, etc.
- weapon pickups, powersups, health packs, keycards, etc. classic FPS stuff.
- strafe running, strafe jumping, bunnyhopping, circlestrafing, wallrunning, air control , etc.
- walljumping, grapplehooks are unlikely. mod support is there regardless though.
- probably no double jumps. more likely its just going to be rocketjumping to get places.
- alternate firing modes for weapons.
- weapon mods. shotgun has the ejected shells as shrapnel type explosions. shotgun can freeze people.
- it all comes down to speed. speed is the #1 goal in Romero's eyes.
- trashcan monster.
- military weapons, but also holographic weapons and others stuff.
- 5 channels - horror/kids/medieval/western/pirate.
- 5 "channels". Seem to be similar to Doom episodes. several levels per each.
- channels will merge. cross streams. causes disturbances weird shit.
- Crimson Weaponry (?) is the name of the pirate stage
- Crush the Dragon Killer: medieval stage with a Conan type character
- Curse of the Ebon Raven - horror/Gothic stage.
- Happy Lane - kids level (?). sounds like TV show type thing.
- western levels.
- voice acting.
- some scary/horror elements.
- no QTE segments. minimal interruption for the story
- story will be mostly from gameplay, exploring. Story doesn't come at the cost of the gameplay.
- no cut scenes.
- cheat codes
- protagonist/characters/models can be changed.
- no DLC
- will release a multiplayer beta
- there will be a demo/shareware version.
- probably no Hitler. But maybe Blackbeard, maybe Stalin.
- killing romero is a possibility.
- zombies and skeletons are in the game
- lots of gibs. holographic so things dont have to make sense.
- consoles and VR are not currently being considered that heavily. all about that PC version first.
- checkpoints & autosaves. no manual saves
- not a huge dev team. ~20ish people.
- secret levels. secret areas, etc.
- PLAYERS FACE ON THE HUD
- Romero is open to doing Dev streams, working streams, etc.
- Romero has been working on this game for about a year. Modding aspect is a huge priority.
-enemies are going to be things you find in movies. but also "glitches". compares them to Ico.
-challenge mode with speedrunning challenges.
-jetpack? I think he was joking.
-horseshoe design confirmed.
-there will be NPCs and friendlies. not extensive but notable.
- Creatures hate each other. Will lead to infighting
- Not creating a level editor. One already exists.
- control center, outside the blackroom where you can chat with NPCs and stuff.
- reskinned enemies depending on the setting. animations/attacks are the same but model is different as needed.
-teleporter/telefragging is in.
- TIME STOP with the Voxel. ZA WARUDO
- "bits" are a battery power. act like a ammo system. gotten from destroying things. weapon mods cost more bits. Is aware of problems with universal ammo but is trying to see if it can work.
- no hats. it's not tf2.
- doom guy would indeed beat master chief.
- as the kickstarter continues more concept art and info will be unveiled.
- spectator mode so you can slot right into multiplayer when a person leaves.
- "the wand" voxel beam weapon that can trigger things

I was super psyched for this. I thought Romero would have learned from the Old School RPG Kickstarter that he and Tom Hall tried to get off the ground a few years ago. It became very clear very quickly in that Kickstarter that they hadn't planned anything before they launched it, and so, the Kickstarter stalled and died. How is it possible that he's making the same mistake again? I'm not sure if it's laziness, incompetence, or a combination of both. This sounds way too ambitious in a Daikatana-like way (many different time zones/genres with their own unique enemies - 10 different unique environments). I like Romero, but he's always been too much of a dreamer.
Livestream is crazy boring and not building confidence. Wanted to back. Not going to back. Will buy if it's awesome on launch.

Havoc2049

"Classic, hardcore, FPS gameplay"! Woot!

I didn't think the Kickstarter pitch was too bad. The map design that they were showing on the computer screens looked like old school Doom, Quake and Unreal style map design, which is cool. John Romero is an interesting character and it's always a dice roll with his projects, but that is all part of the fun.

I backed at the $59 level for a physical boxed edition. I'm ready to kill again!

Oh Jesus...this is dead.
You never change, do you, John?

Extremely poor Kickstarter pitch imo. Barely any information and solely relying on names. I've seen much better prepared kickstarters fail so I don't know about this one. It's also weird they are pushing the Romero name so hard to 90s shooter enthusiasts, like yeah there has been a resurgence lately of respect for the old level designs and developers but people who actually were around games back then would also remember just how big he talked and never delivered after leaving id.

Rockk

I'm fairly certain that they have a complete team currently as Romero stated on the stream that the other dev members will be revealed as the kickstarter progresses.

At least they're not trying to fund a Daikatana HD remake.

I really like the premise, but I'm not going to fund another former game design celebrity's new idea anymore. Jane Jensen's game was really meh, Mighty No. 9....:(

I'm not funding as of right now, but I'll be keeping an eye on this. Who knows, maybe they'll get developers that have recently done some, you know, good games.

John must have realized he still had a love of making games when he created that new DOOM level.

"HEY! People still love me! I should come up with a new game with Carmack. We'll call it Blackroom and hope for the best!"

dLMN8R

I took notes from the stream. I probably got a few things wrong, misheard, or didn't completely understand but it's still quite a bit of info.

Ok, and still no information about how he actually intends to fund the game. Cool.

Concept17

Ugh, he's so unlikable.

700k seems like a lot for rough concept art and a poor pitch. I'm all for old-school shooters, but this seems a bit much.

Show me a prototype, then maybe.

Xater

Well, not good enough.

LPljF6b.jpg

At least they're not trying to fund a Daikatana HD remake.

I really like the premise, but I'm not going to fund another former game design celebrity's new idea anymore. Jane Jensen's game was really meh, Mighty No. 9....:(

...I mean, if you actually think about what the game is trying to do, how is this *not* another Daikatana?

I don't get this "We are gonna be unveiling more stuff as the campaing continues", why not just throw all the info at once and get people hooked right off the bat?

I don't get this "We are gonna be unveiling more stuff as the campaing continues", why not just throw all the info at once and get people hooked right off the bat?

Now, I could be wrong, but I'd guess that, just like his terrible Oldschool RPG Kickstarter, they literally have nothing other than what they've shown.

Kevin

I will be very surprised if this game reaches it's funding goal. The pitch video was incredibly cringe worthy to boot. I like some of the game concepts but that's about it. Definitely nothing I need and definitely nothing I will help fund. PASS.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't feel good about this. I can appreciate an old-school FPS as much as the next person, but this seems less like the game I'm asking for and more like the game I've already played. I'll give them money if they can prove me wrong, though.

taoofjord

I'm rooting for you John...but I'm not betting on you.

Yeah, I feel the same. There's a slight kinship there since I grew up playing these kinds of games but at the same time it feels totally uninspired, Romero comes off as a nice but somewhat unlikable egocentric, and the entire tone of the KS video and the project itself is embarassing. I hope it works out for them and there's certainly a place for fast-paced old school shooters but I won't be backing the project.

This Kickstarter makes me really, really sad. I can't believe it exists. There should be some kind of a rule that you can't make a video game Kickstarter with out a prototype or some screenshots or something. Something tangibly considered as a "game" or as a fragment of a game. This... as far as I can tell, hasn't even begun production. Sorry John, I'm not giving you money just because you're John Romero.

kiguel182

They just have concept art? No prototype? Yeah, no.

I feel like the pitch should be a little more complete before asking for almost one million dollars.

mnannola

I wouldn't mind backing these guys, but they need some meat on that kickstarter bone.

Unreal Engine is free, they should spend some time making a small prototype and then pitch again. From that page the gameplay doesn't sound like anything revolutionary, so without a prototype that is really fun, I don't see this getting backed.

Interfectum

I wouldn't mind backing these guys, but they need some meat on that kickstarter bone.

Unreal Engine is free, they should spend some time making a small prototype and then pitch again. From that page the gameplay doesn't sound like anything revolutionary, so without a prototype that is really fun, I don't see this getting backed.

Yup, they have more than enough personal wealth and time to toss together a 5 minute prototype of their vision. If they don't even have a team together that can do that, what exactly am I paying for here?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It absolutely sounds like something I'd love to play, and if it does end up getting made I will certainly buy it. But this pitch sucks and engenders absolutely 0 confidence in their ability to deliver. So no backing from me, but I wish them luck.

Top Bottom