• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACKROOM announced (new game by John Romero, Kickstarter)

I like the idea of a West World-ish mashup of historical architecture, enemies, and guns. Though that was a part of the initial Daikatana pitch too (four different time zones!)

Biggest disappointment here was the concept art.

Two pieces using the same background painting, both third person shots (for an fps pitch! I want to see guns!) And one of those is a concept piece of a frigging red barrel tutorial!

That combined with a ho-hum and very not-metal character design and Kickstarter graphic design just does nothing for me.

Hopefully they have other pieces in holding to dole out over the campaign, but you gotta drop some of your best stuff day one or you'll miss the critical "this is gonna be a success" bandwagon mass.

Love what these guys have done back in the day and John was super duper nice the one time I met him. Hope this game does get made and is awesome, but yeah, not stoked after the Kickstarter.

jblank83

Romero is the programmer.

Romero will be creating all the levels, programming everything, as well doing the game design?

Impressive

Point being he obviously can't do all of that, so it would be behoove their pitch to detail their engineering resources. Showing you have a solid development team goes a long way to impressing upon people that you are capable of meeting your production goals. Which is why many will not back a project without at least a prototype shown.

Rambler

Throwback shooters suck because of awful encounter and level design. They either lock you in a room full of respawning enemies or it's procedural shit.

I'm not expecting Quake 1 here but if Romero actually remembers that level design is a thing then this game will probably be better than Serious Sam/Painkiller/Strafe/etc by default.

Razzorn34

Man. So much negativity here. I guess it's just a sign of the times. Any old Quake fans should be all over this. I doubt there are many left that post here though.

After Red Ash, you'd think people would avoid doing Kickstarters where all your have is a piece of concept art.
Man. So much negativity here. I guess it's just a sign of the times. Any old Quake fans should be all over this. I doubt there are many left that post here though.
The problem isn't people don't like the idea but kickstaters that lack content to show off.

dLMN8R

I'm sorry but $700,000 for an elaborate 10-hour single-player campaign and unique multiplayer? Give me a fucking break.

If you donate to this Kickstarter campaign you deserve the inevitable disappointment and endless delays which come with it.

This game is a pitch that could easily be a $10+ million game.

Rockk

I'm sorry but $700,000 for an elaborate 10-hour single-player campaign and unique multiplayer? Give me a fucking break.

If you donate to this Kickstarter campaign you deserve the inevitable disappointment and endless delays which come with it.

This game is a pitch that could easily be a $10+ million game.

You should probably watch the video first.

Mman235

I hope this lives up to it's pedigree, but it's hard to say much until they show something of the actual game.

but is it going to make me it's bitch?

STRAFE is probably going to be what this game is pitching tbh

STRAFE looks like it's going to be a good game in itself, but it having randomly generated levels automatically disqualifies it from being anything like "oldschool" FPS.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Plenty of Quake fans. Not many fans of poorly thought out kickstarters though.

This has nothing to do with that, but everything with this being a lackluster pitch with nothing to show but concepts and leaning on past accomplishments.

dhonk

I like the idea of a West World-ish mashup of historical architecture, enemies, and guns. Though that was a part of the initial Daikatana pitch too (four different time zones!)

Biggest disappointment here was the concept art.

Two pieces using the same background painting, both third person shots (for an fps pitch! I want to see guns!) And one of those is a concept piece of a frigging red barrel tutorial!

That combined with a ho-hum and very not-metal character design and Kickstarter graphic design just does nothing for me.

Hopefully they have other pieces in holding to dole out over the campaign, but you gotta drop some of your best stuff day one or you'll miss the critical "this is gonna be a success" bandwagon mass.

Love what these guys have done back in the day and John was super duper nice the one time I met him. Hope this game does get made and is awesome, but yeah, not stoked after the Kickstarter.

HUGE fan of his work but yes. There's too little here right now and it doesn't inspire confidence. I wish all the best for it though. I want to believe!

Jigorath

Banned
Oh good, another kickstarter with next to nothing prepared.

And by a guy who hasn't made anything worthwhile in over 20 years.

Onemic

Nothing on the KS page regarding actual info on the details of the game and the last major release by Romero wasnt exactly good. He's leaning hard on his Doom/Quake pedigree for this KS pitch. Way too hard.

They aren't actually using anything because there is no game.

image.php

They will use the Unreal Engine 4

dLMN8R

You should probably watch the video first.

Oh stop it, I did watch it. I'm sick of these Kickstarter pitches that claim they'll have some mysterious external funding source if only they first reach some arbitrary goal.

Here's the thing - that arbitrary $700,000 funding goal which they claim will convince other investors to give them money? For a FPS with a 10-hour campaign, moddability, and extensive multiplayer, that's easily a multi-million dollar game. Even if you increase the Kickstarter funding by 10x to $7 million that's low for what they're pitching.

But to make it worse, that one line is a 3-second throw-away line in a video that's longer than 4 minutes. The text on the page does not mention this extremely important fact anywhere.

What it means is that Kickstarter backers have a completely absent and unknown stake in the funding of what is easily a big-budget game.

It's just fucking wrong. It's misleading. And I don't understand why Kickstarter still allows this bullshit to be published. Kickstarter should require that all of their projects are 100% transparent about exactly how they intend to fund their projects if the Kickstarter campaign itself is just some unknown percentage of the funding.

Rockk

Oh stop it, I did watch it. I'm sick of these Kickstarter pitches that claim they'll have some mysterious external funding source if only they first reach some arbitrary goal.

And that's totally fine and understandable. That's just not what your first post was about.

Onemic

As cynical as I am about this game and Romero as a competent dev in the modern age, I still wanna see this get funded. Everyone deserves a second chance and I wanna see if this guy can actually redeem himself from the last 20 years of being in complete obscurity.

jblank83

They don't have a prototype or even a single character model to show. The Kickstarter isn't even to fund the project. It's to show the real investors that there is market interest in a project driven by these personalities. All they have to show are, what I assume to be, recycled pitch materials that were originally used for this other investment source (else why would they produce only a few short clips of live action video and splice them together haphazardly, without any coherent narrative or purpose).

Not exactly the best feeling as a potential customer or fan.

I've played id games all the way back to Wolfenstein. I have nothing against Romero, even after Daikatana. If they do make a great game, I'll buy it, but no way in hell would I back this, especially at $29.

99.999% of the time, I instantly dismiss a Kickstarter if it's only art. The only exception I made was Battletech, and that's because Harebrained proved they can deliver multiple Kickstarters and that they can translate concept art to gameplay really well

This doesn't have any of those assurances

This thing'll hit 700k easily.

Now, we'll have to wait a good 2.5 years + delays until knowing anything meaningful about the game. That's why I'm staying out. But, if it looks cool at the end of those 2.5 years, I'll be in.

-MD-

$29 is too much for me to throw blindly.

Hope they make it but I'm going to be watching from a distance.

As cynical as I am about this game and Romero as a competent dev in the modern age, I still wanna see this get funded. Everyone deserves a second chance and I wanna see if this guy can actually redeem himself from the last 20 years of being in complete obscurity.

This is where I am at. I understand backing a kickstarter is a risk. Watching it play out is part of the fun, even if it goes south. If it isn't funded that is just boring.

Long gone are the days where a Kickstarter can succeed simply because the developers made an acclaimed series in the past. What matters with crowdfunding is what is presented now. The quality of the pitch, the goal versus the scope of the project. Art and promises alone don't cut it.

dLMN8R

Long gone are the days where a Kickstarter can succeed simply because the developers made an acclaimed series in the past. What matters with crowdfunding is what is presented now. The quality of the pitch, the goal versus the scope of the project. Art and promises alone don't cut it.

It would also be nice if the pitch was actually open and honest about how they intend to fund the game.

But it's not, which is actually expressly against the rules on Kickstarter, so I've reported the project.

Bl@de

"Can I have 30 dollars?"

"what for?"

"dude trust me I'll give you something cool 2-3 years from now."

"no"

Yeah very underwhelming :/ I want more info and not a terrible video that turns me away. This is a bad pitch :( very bad ... I hope it gets funded or finds a publisher but I'm not very hopeful :(

I want to donate. But I wont.

Kickstarter honestly in the past two years has soured me on games. Things like Pillars of Eternity are brilliant... others not so much.

Best of luck to those that back it and I hope this game is as awesome as it has the potential to be.

Yeah, I was all in on backing this when I knew it was going to be a new romero game on KS, but I watched the pitch, read the site, and ... nah, man. Just...you gotta give me *something* to go on here. Something concrete.

If it gets funded and somehow it gets out the door and it isn't a steaming pile, I'll buy it on day one. But I'm not backing.

Top Bottom