• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacks Asked To Leave Restaurant Because White Customer Felt Threatened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
I was intentionally exaggerating, but stores charge like a buck a wing now! No way it's near that much when purchased in bulk. Add beers and beverages, you've got yourself a happy restaurant owner (and unhappy wait staff, assuming the stereotype is true).

Apparently wholesale prices have been going up, and wings aren't as high margin as they once were (boneless are though).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-28-chicken-wings_N.htm

http://nrn.com/latest-headlines/buffalo-wild-wings-implement-new-pricing-system

This place offers a 10 wings and a beer for 10 bucks deal as well.

Takuan

Apparently wholesale prices have been going up, and wings aren't as high margin as they once were (boneless are though).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-28-chicken-wings_N.htm

http://nrn.com/latest-headlines/buffalo-wild-wings-implement-new-pricing-system

This place offers a 10 wings and a beer for 10 bucks deal as well.

Alright, but they aren't selling these shits at a loss. The business is predicated on selling lots and lots of wings. That party of hungry black folks would definitely have gone through a lot of chicken. I guarantee you 10 wins and a beer would not have satisfied the men pictured there, and I would not be surprised if some of those women could more than hold their own.

akira28

I think you may be overestimating the margin on hot wings just a bit.

Food service bulk frozen wings...oil, hot sauce, and butter...and it's probably wing pieces, not even whole wings. Probably for like $5 for 10, I'm guesstimating the profit would be kind of high.

way more

Imagine if they waited there for two hours and the white guy showed up ten minutes before they were seated. He and his party are seated first, then the black people walk in.

"Excuse me waiter? Do you have a curtain you can place around them, no? Well the sight of them threatens me."

And they get booted out. HAHAHAHA, the racism is killing me!

North Charleston is pretty ghetto. I used to hate having to go through there. These people don't look threatening. They shouldn't have been asked to leave though, that is just plain wrong.

edit: the fact that they were there for 2 hours also says something. Who the fuck sits in a restraunt and feels threatened for hours while this group of people are waiting? That's fucking stupid. The minute I find myself in a situation I feel uncomfortable in I leave, simple as that.

But this was the South so 25 black people is really only 15.

The push for slaves to be counted as 'less than a full person' in the census didn't come from the South...

So tell me, there HAS to be some other part of this story... while I believe people are racist enough to do this (especially down South), I can't for the life of me believe somebody would be this STUPID about it. Good Lord Almighty.

Zoe

So tell me, there HAS to be some other part of this story... while I believe people are racist enough to do this (especially down South), I can't for the life of me believe somebody would be this STUPID about it. Good Lord Almighty.

Supposedly there were words exchanged between the woman and a woman in the group, so the restaurant didn't bother trying to seat them until after the complainant left. Then they just got thrown out when the phone/camera came out.

Zizbuka

Banned
Manager should have told the complaining customer; "Hold on, let me just go tell them you're uncomfortable with them.", and pointed him out to them.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly there were words exchanged between the woman and a woman in the group, so the restaurant didn't bother trying to seat them until after the complainant left. Then they just got thrown out when the phone/camera came out.

I don't buy it at all. The Wild Wings Facebook account is tripping over itself with this allegation. Also, if this was true, why would the manager throw them out once the camera came out? Because she was defending another customer from injury? Or because she's an idiot? Someone is lying and I don't think it's the people that already waited 2 hours in line.

I don't buy it at all. The Wild Wings Facebook account is tripping over itself with this allegation. Also, if this was true, why would the manager throw them out once the camera came out? Because she was defending another customer from injury? Or because she's an idiot? Someone is lying and I don't think it's the people that already waited 2 hours in line.

I dunno. I'd imagine this establishment gets a lot of black customers regularly. Seems odd to all of a sudden turn on black people for no reason.

But, shit, what do I know? Maybe they just finally snapped or something.

stufte

http://www.radiofacts.com/woman-wil...es-black-patrons-asked-leave-several-reasons/

A woman contacted Radio Facts who works at the Wild Wings restaurant that asked the black patrons to leave. and asked that we allow her to be anonymous. She states there are several reasons the group was asked to leave (below) Radiofacts.com,

You’re only getting one side of story here. I work at the restaurant and your representation of the events is way off base. The group was being loud and obnoxious to both customers and staffers. They kept complaining about their long wait and were talking about how “whitey” was able to get seated, but they were not. The problem was that they had a large group and insisted on sitting next to each other. We only had one area that could accommodate their large group and the patrons in that area were not done. So yes, some “whities” were able to be seated before them, but only because they were going to a different area. We also seated non-whites in other areas too…They made this a racial issue before anything. One of the guests also insulted a deaf white girl because she didn’t respond to one of them telling her to move (she was deaf and didn’t hear them) They were also all standing in the middle of the walk way, making it difficult for customers to leave. We asked them if they could move over, but they said they can stand wherever they want, and if we wanted them out of the way then we should seat them. The customer that was offended was offended by a particular individual’s constant uses of the word “n*gger” When asked to stop, he threw out a long string of racial epithets against one of my co-workers.

This may be fake, but seriously people, there are 2 sides to every story. Just because a group of black people were kicked out of an establishment, doesn't necessarily mean it was racist. It could be that they were just assholes.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So basically I'll be entertained no matter who was telling the truth? Awesome.

Because I'd love to see someone take heat for raging on a little deaf girl

Zoe

If what was said is true, the manager probably was still willing to get their business but was taking it out on them by making them wait longer than necessary. However, getting video evidence of any douchebaggery is enough to light up the internet and get someone fired, so I don't find it far fetched for that to be a tipping point. And from the restaurant's eyes, the bad publicity would be worse than the business the group brought.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
If what was said is true, the manager probably was still willing to get their business but was taking it out on them by making them wait longer than necessary. However, getting video evidence of any douchebaggery is enough to light up the internet and get someone fired, so I don't find it far fetched for that to be a tipping point. And from the restaurant's eyes, the bad publicity would be worse than the business the group brought.

Fair enough about the douchebaggery video possibility (WORLDSTAR!!). And seeing the alleged other side response makes it seem plausible. But 2 hours to wait for wings? That just doesn't smell right to me from how the restaurant treated these people. I would have found a way to get those people seated quickly cause it's just money. Shit get them to the bar asap.

North Charleston is pretty ghetto. I used to hate having to go through there. These people don't look threatening. They shouldn't have been asked to leave though, that is just plain wrong.

edit: the fact that they were there for 2 hours also says something. Who the fuck sits in a restraunt and feels threatened for hours while this group of people are waiting? That's fucking stupid. The minute I find myself in a situation I feel uncomfortable in I leave, simple as that.
What the hell! The whole city isn't ghetto.

Slavik81

Goddamn, what a horrible fucking first post.

Honestly, I think it's the best possible first post. Thousands of people taking sides in an altercation that none of them know anything about is a pretty embarrassing situation. This is all hearsay. And piecemeal at that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
From facebook page:

Trying to explain Racism to White people is like trying to explain an erection to a woman. Something you have and could never experience just doesn't seem plausible. Wild Wingz should actually apologize for allowing Racism to be Carried out successfully by a racist Patron. The Manager thought that she was doing her job...she's just stupid.

Yeah that is a load of bullshit.

The clitoris gets erect. It is erectile tissue. Someone failed biology and how to please a woman / or pleasure themselves.

devilhawk

I like how some of the internet knights haven't figured out that it wasn't a Buffalo Wild Wings so keep posting comments on the BWW facebook page. Quickly being deleted though.

rpmurphy

Honestly, I think it's the best possible first post. Thousands of people taking sides in an altercation that none of them know anything about is a pretty embarrassing situation. This is all hearsay. And piecemeal at that.
The fact that the story surrounds a restaurant trying to seat 25 people seemed like there would probably be more to the story anyway. So no one actually filmed or recorded this?

I'm still confused by this part.

A group of 25 Black people waited two hours to get in a Wild Wing Cafe restaurant in North Charleston, South Carolina, only to be asked to leave almost immediately after entering the restaurant because a white customer felt “threatened” by their presence.

J10

Banned
I have a theory that the restaurant actually didn't want to service a party of 25 black people because the tip would have been really really shitty.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The owners should have handled this better. They should have done their best to cool down the situation instead of letting it escalate.

They should have sat them in the end. If the group was being obnoxious then the other patrons would blame them for their bad meal experience, but now, the blame is on the restaurant.

The customer is always right... long term, it always makes sense to try and be as accommodating as possible.

I don't doubt that the group was being somewhat pushy or perhaps rude ( 2 hour wait while hungry will definitely get you wound up) Similarly, but I doubt the staff was being extra polite and accommodating.

Staff is guilty, in almost every scenario here. And guess what? this will hurt them, so clearly they could have handled it differently.

Did they really have a 25 person party? It would be insane to think you could roll up with that size unannounced and sit together. These wings must be something else.
I've seen this happen at a restaurant I worked at. It was a pretty small place, and once in a while you'd have like 10-15 people roll up without a reservation (never 25 - that would be crazy). I would try not to look too shocked that someone would do this, and we'd see what we could do to seat them. It's fine if you have a large party and want to give it a shot, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a long time or are just turned down.

Given everything that's been said the racism thing doesn't make sense. Sounds like maybe a couple people in the group got testy because they couldn't get seated right away, and also got in some kind of argument with another customer. Those situations don't usually end well.

codhand

i would have wings with those people. many ig'nant white people feel threatened by large groups of minorities, this isnt new. manager's at fault here, really, really poor decision.

The replies in this thread were not what I had expected.

yeah, i have no clue what that first post is about.

If a group that large had to wait for two hours, then came in and made it clear they were pissed off about the wait I'd probably be uncomfortable too, regardless of their race.

Zertez

Not too surprised when I see S.C., many small SC towns dont like anyone that doesnt fit their image, no matter of race. It would be funny to hear the rapper DMXs thoughts on this story. He has been arrested around 4 times this year alone in SC. He gets arrested a lot though.

shuri

Banned
What a confusing story. First they were thrown out for no reasons, then it seems someone in their group got into an argument with someone, then an anonymous source writes to a radio show about what truly happened and it turns out they had no reservation?

Seriously, you dont just show up with 24 persons with no reservation expecting to get a normal experience.

Given everything that's been said the racism thing doesn't make sense. Sounds like maybe a couple people in the group got testy because they couldn't get seated right away, and also got in some kind of argument with another customer. Those situations don't usually end well.
Right away?? It was a 2 hour wait...who wouldn't get "testy"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom